PDA

View Full Version : OT: He's Back!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Killer93
02-24-2014, 10:11 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9145741.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/Hulk-Hogan-AP.jpg

Haven't really watched wrestling since the glory years but I personally think its awesome that they brought back Hulk Hogan for one more run. Thoughts?

Metalleaf
02-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Wrestlemania 30....also he probably needs money.

Habsy
02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Yep. It's all about the benjamins.

Metalleaf
02-24-2014, 10:27 PM
And really you can't have WM XXX without Hogan, it had to happen.

Leafyblue
02-24-2014, 10:59 PM
He's 60 though. What's he gonna do..fight Stallone and DeNiro?

Fitzgerald#11
02-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Undertaker back too tonight

Metalleaf
02-24-2014, 11:11 PM
He's 60 though. What's he gonna do..fight Stallone and DeNiro?

He can probably take bumps, come in do his signature moves, etc.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Hogan is the "host" of WM 30.

Also, the Undertaker returned tonight and challenged Brock Lesner.

Metalleaf
02-24-2014, 11:22 PM
That' will get PPV buys.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-24-2014, 11:31 PM
WWE Network launched today. A online Netflix type deal. 6 month commitment, you get every PPV as well as WM 30 plus all ECW, WCW, WWE PPV and TV shows in history, dating back 30 years.

Much like Healthcare.gov it has been having problems.

Montana
02-24-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm still a complete mark when it comes to the Royal Rumble + Wrestlemania season..........but Hogan's return is probably the least interesting thing in WWE at the moment, storyline wise.

I was checking out the free trial of the new WWE Network today, and it's pretty dope.....all sorts of great behinds the scenes documentaries and shit, and access to all the old PPV's from the glory days. I'll definitely be indulging in a nice big dose of nostalgia over the next week.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-24-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm still a complete mark when it comes to the Royal Rumble + Wrestlemania season..........but Hogan's return is probably the least interesting thing in WWE at the moment, storyline wise.

I was checking out the free trial of the new WWE Network today, and it's pretty dope.....all sorts of great behinds the scenes documentaries and shit, and access to all the old PPV's from the glory days. I'll definitely be indulging in a nice big dose of nostalgia over the next week.

I know what you mean, I still love the WM season and the hype for it. The rest of the year I really do not watch except the odd tune in. I love all the old stuff though. I was a hard core fan from 1985 up until around 2005. My first real memory was being 5 plus years old and seeing Andre the Giant choke out Hulk Hogan and turn on him during a pipers pit show.

Metalleaf
02-24-2014, 11:47 PM
WM XXX card so far:

Hogan as Host

Undertaker vs Brock Lesner

Daniel Bryan vs Triple H(not confirmed but it will happen)

Orton vs Batista(title match)

Wyatt Family vs John Cena?

Ultimate Warrior will be there...

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-24-2014, 11:52 PM
From what I can tell, Orton vs Batista is going to be a train wreck. Fans despise Batista (he has been gone for 4 years and now reappears in a main event slot) and Orton is super boring and been booked terribly. This is a mania match which should have happen 8 or so years ago after Evolution (the stable they were in with Triple H and Ric Flair) broke up.

Also, CM Punk, one of if not the most popular wrestler (along with Daniel Bryan) just legit quit the company after the rumble.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Why WWE has moved RAW to three hours I will never understand. It is boring.

I remember when WCW did that with Nitro it only led to the downfall of the company.

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:02 AM
I think its to give more time to showcase talent. None of the fans will be happy until Bryan wins the title and has a reign with it...Bryan's rivaling the Rock and Stone Cold for being over with fans its insane.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:05 AM
From what I can tell, Orton vs Batista is going to be a train wreck. Fans despise Batista (he has been gone for 4 years and now reappears in a main event slot) and Orton is super boring and been booked terribly. This is a mania match which should have happen 8 or so years ago after Evolution (the stable they were in with Triple H and Ric Flair) broke up.

Also, CM Punk, one of if not the most popular wrestler (along with Daniel Bryan) just legit quit the company after the rumble.

I'll be surprised if Punk isn't at Mania.......especially if Cena was legit injured tonight.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:07 AM
I think its to give more time to showcase talent. None of the fans will be happy until Bryan wins the title and has a reign with it...Bryan's rivaling the Rock and Stone Cold for being over with fans its insane.

Bryan has taped into a nice thing with the IWC, and his "YES!" chant is definitely over.......but he's not even remotely as popular as those two were. The buy-rates on the PPV's he headlined this summer were abysmal, and he hasn't really moved the needle on TV ratings the way one would have expected.

That's why he's getting Triple H at Mania, and (seemingly) isn't in the title picture.

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:11 AM
but Orton and Batista are even worse.

the title match will be like the 4th match on the card behind Taker, Bryan and Cena/Wyatt

Bray Wyatt is also the best villain in years.

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:13 AM
I don't believe its him though, I think its everything else....the product, especially after Mania season is done, stagnates horribly. They over use Cena and Orton, they have a void in the tag division, the women's division is almost non-existent even though they do have the talent, WWE has done a poor job of promoting new faces, like when they buried Damien Sandow. They been doing a better job with some of their guys though. Issue with Bryan is there is no believability that he'll win, so people would rather not buy the PPV...

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:16 AM
but Orton and Batista are even worse.

They just have to make that a 3-way match.....and my money would be on CM Punk coming back and stepping into that program. He's the one guy who doesn't already have a program, and that could make the fans really look forward to those other two being in a Championship match.

the title match will be like the 4th match on the card behind Taker, Bryan and Cena/Wyatt

I might be a huge mark.....but that Cena injury actually seemed legit tonight. That said, I kinda think it was a work to get people to tune into the WWE Network aftershow.

Bray Wyatt is also the best villain in years.

He's a latter day Jake the Snake on the mic.....guy is great.

Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose might be my two favourites in the company right now though, after Punk.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
I don't believe its him though, I think its everything else....the product, especially after Mania season is done, stagnates horribly. They over use Cena and Orton, they have a void in the tag division, the women's division is almost non-existent even though they do have the talent, WWE has done a poor job of promoting new faces, like when they buried Damien Sandow. They been doing a better job with some of their guys though. Issue with Bryan is there is no believability that he'll win, so people would rather not buy the PPV...

Nah, I don't buy it......when guys are really truly over, people buy the PPV's they headline. Period. Full-Stop.

Doesn't mean Bryan isn't great, he's literally one of the best workers in the company and his "YES!" chant is insanely over as is his popularity on the internet (which is mainly made up of wrestling fans who also watch indy wrestling, and know Bryan from there).....but in terms of being over with the mainstream audience that pays for shit, he's just not. PPV numbers, TV ratings, merchandise sales, etc all bear that out.

Having said that, I think you're right in that they've mishandled him.......because he obviously should have won the Rumble, and the hype from that almost assuredly would have lead to him gaining traction with the mainstream audience. That said, the chase is what makes Bryan great.....he wasn't remotely over when he had the Championship strap a year or two ago.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Oh, and Cesaro is the shit.....

http://i.imgur.com/Dr45a.gif

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
WWE is in a weird phase, IMO, where all of their best guys are the mid-card guys(Bryan aside). Sandow, Ziggler, Shield, Wyatts, Big E, Cesaro, those are the guys I watch for. And the creation of NXT was a solid step.

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Oh, and Cesaro is the shit.....

http://i.imgur.com/Dr45a.gif

He put over the "Big Swing", I never thought that would be possible.

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I thought i was the only one who preferred Ambrose and Rollins to Reigns.

In no particular order Bryan, Wyatt, Cesaro, and The Sheild are the reason to watch right now.

I wish they did more with Sandow, Ziggler and Kofi (heel turn?)

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:31 AM
He put over the "Big Swing", I never thought that would be possible.

he put over " We the People"....and to an extent Jack Swagger...

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:34 AM
I thought i was the only one who preferred Ambrose and Rollins to Reigns.

In no particular order Bryan, Wyatt, Cesaro, and The Sheild are the reason to watch right now.

I wish they did more with Sandow, Ziggler and Kofi (heel turn?)

I like all three of the Shield, but WWE like Reigns cause he's big, and shares a gene pool with the Rock, Rikishi....and pretty much every Samoan.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:34 AM
WWE is in a weird phase, IMO, where all of their best guys are the mid-card guys(Bryan aside). Sandow, Ziggler, Shield, Wyatts, Big E, Cesaro, those are the guys I watch for. And the creation of NXT was a solid step.

I think they're ultimately moving into a phase that focuses on in ring ability versus "look"......somewhat reminiscent of back in the day when they put the focus on guys like Perfect, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels.......now you've got a number of guys who have come through the indy ranks and made names for themselves off their wrestling, Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Ambrose, Rollins, Sammy Zayn, etc who look like they'll be a large part of the company's future. Even a guy like Reigns who is obviously gonna get a major push, while big, isn't in that Batista, Cena, Rock, Hogan, bodybuilder type mold.

...and yeah, NXT is pretty great. Looking forward to their first "PPV" on thursday.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:36 AM
It's pretty great when a heel goes over to the point where they have to turn him face because the fans demand it.......Cesaro's rise has been pretty rad.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Any you cats watch New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW)?......heard the WWE is one the verge of possibly signing Prince Devitt this month....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/p403x403/1656079_641681769200835_961369792_n.jpg

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hbkidcool/imgs/d/1/d14b65ec.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3670083cff74a17663cec93bf92f0a13/tumblr_n051w9QOo21rdx2txo3_1280.jpg

.....be sweet seeing him pull off a 'Bullet Club' type stable in the WWE.

Fitzgerald#11
02-25-2014, 12:39 AM
What will they be doing with the Shield??

Seems like every other week they get close to breaking up but end back together. Reigns is ready on his own it seems, that Rumble performance was amazing.

And Bray in the mic is awesome to watch

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:41 AM
What will they be doing with the Shield??

Seems like every other week they get close to breaking up but end back together. Reigns is ready on his own it seems, that Rumble performance was amazing.

I'd like to see them kept together (allow them each to have their own solo programs, but still remain together, ala old school Four Horsemen), but I suspect they break them up over the next month and have them battle each other in a 3-way at Mania' for the U.S. strap.

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:48 AM
do you mean U.S. Title?

Fitzgerald#11
02-25-2014, 12:49 AM
love Ambrose but what a dick that guy is

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I can see Reigns vs Big E at Mania.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:50 AM
do you mean U.S. Title?

heh, yes.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:51 AM
love Ambrose but what a dick that guy is

Not gonna lie.....I think the moment I marked out for the most tonight, was when Ambrose came running down to ringside to join Rollins/Reigns.

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
For whatever reason Big E doesn't do much for me.

MyNameIsJonas
02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
my mark out of the year was Jake Roberts coming down vs the shield.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:55 AM
For whatever reason Big E doesn't do much for me.

same.....he's stiff in the ring, and brutal on the stick. Would be down with someone like Reigns or Cesaro taking the belt from him at Mania.

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:55 AM
I mark out whenever they give Bray Wyatt a microphone, dude's promos might be some of the best ever.

Montana
02-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Interested to hear if people think Cena was legit hurt tonight or if it was a work...

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Its Cena, even if it is legit he'll wrestle.

Montana
02-25-2014, 01:00 AM
Its Cena, even if it is legit he'll wrestle.

@AKATheMaskedMan Sources confirm that Cena blew out his ACL and MCL and dislocated his kneecap. Estimated recovery time is 45 minutes.

Fitzgerald#11
02-25-2014, 01:06 AM
yeah was worried Ambrose wasn't coming out tonight there at the end, definitely the best part of the show. nay got back into wrestling 2-3 months ago and really liking the Shield so hopefully can enjoy them a few more months

Metalleaf
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
I have stages of interest, I watched it every week from Hell in a Cell to Royal Rumble and then tonight was the first time I'd watched RAW in about 2 weeks.

Montana
02-25-2014, 01:18 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/BlaringFrightenedEquine.gif

JackBurton
02-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Wrestlemania 30....also he probably needs money.

Yes. after his ex brought him to the cleaners and his son screwed-up big time he's gotta be broke.

Fitzgerald#11
02-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Also can someone explain how wyatts get to the ring so fast when they interrup matches ??

Killer93
02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Yea some of the matches book for Wrestlemania are questionable at best. Was great to see Undertaker back as well

worm
02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
WM XXX card so far:

Hogan as Host

Undertaker vs Brock Lesner

Daniel Bryan vs Triple H(not confirmed but it will happen)

Orton vs Batista(title match)

Wyatt Family vs John Cena?

Ultimate Warrior will be there...

who?

Montana
02-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Any you lads also checking out the WWE Network?

zeke
02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
bring back the birdman already.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMVfqHxjlYnVimT6LpyVf9qh2Dfrad2 M69d1YAOzGte5rFw3rr

Montana
02-27-2014, 11:51 AM
Network has a boatload of classic Koko.......matches verses - The Warlord, Frenchie Martin, The Headshrinkers, Million Dollar Man, Skull Von Krush, Natural Butch Reed, Big Boss Man or, you can check out Koko in some of his Royal Rumble appearances.

Network >

JohnnyHolmes
02-27-2014, 12:02 PM
I can't believe that people used to believe that this homosexual theater was real.

Montana
02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
There's a golden oldie........"ZoMG! Wrestling is so gay/fake!!!111 LOLZ".......haven't seen that trope since the 90's.

MyNameIsJonas
02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeah...seriously...it's more gay to think that we enjoy it because we think it's real.

And by real i pray you mean non scripted, because what these guys do takes as much if not more athleticism than any sport.

zeke
02-27-2014, 03:32 PM
wrestling = gaybuttsexz

JohnnyHolmes
02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
People legitimately used to argue that professional wrestling was real.

The fact that it is flamboyant homo-erotic theater just makes that funnier.

Jeremy
02-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Hulk's daughter is definitely a hottie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUpXzV0scg

Montana
02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
The fact that it is flamboyant homo-erotic theater just makes that funnier.

Not unlike a Rorschach test, if you're seeing homo-eroticism where it doesn't exist, that says more about you, than those that don't.

LeafOfFaith
02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Wrestling is so ****ing stupid. I can't believe the following it has.

Montana
02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
It's not unlike sports in that sense.......NHL, MLB, NHL....is one of the dumbest things you could imagine, grown men playing a game dressed in outfits that look like children's panama's.....movies are adults pretending to be people they're not.

Broken down to their most base elements, the vast majority of things that people look to for entertainment are completely moronic when logic is applied to them.

JohnnyHolmes
02-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Not unlike a Rorschach test, if you're seeing homo-eroticism where it doesn't exist, that says more about you, than those that don't.

http://www.adamdince.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/old-wwf-wrestlers.jpg

What homo-eroticism indeed.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2012/2/24/1330117767900/Studio-Portrait-of-the-Vi-007.jpg

They're just a bunch of macho men.

There isn't anything gay about it at all.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4100000/Jake-The-Snake-Roberts-Classic-WWF-professional-wrestling-4199736-1280-1024.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vveYerykSXE/Td614tAbpEI/AAAAAAAAAGY/j_9WWKEHftQ/s1600/eddie.gif

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/111375.gif

Forgive me if I projected my own insecurities into this subject :lol

Perhaps I need to be disciplined.

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/bossman.jpg

Killer93
02-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Was hoping to see Hulk Hogan vs Randy Orton for the belt at Wrestlemania, too bad

Montana
02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
What homo-eroticism indeed.

They're just a bunch of macho men.

There isn't anything gay about it at all.

Forgive me if I projected my own insecurities into this subject :lol

Perhaps I need to be disciplined.

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.

Metalleaf
02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Remember when WWE hung Big Bossman from a steal cage and then the next night they forgot that ever happened? Good times.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
02-28-2014, 11:47 AM
WWE fans have been voicing their displeasure more frequently than ever before. It used to be contained to "Cena Sucks" chants during segments with the company's golden boy. Now it's extending to JBL, Randy Savage, Jerry Lawler chants during boring matches. Chants for the absent CM Punk are even causing WWE to change the pacing of promo segments.

This Monday night, WWE will face its most hostile crowd yet when it arrives in Chicago for Raw. The hometown of Punk has become a hotbed of discontent with the WWE product. The city and its fans have taken on the defiant personality of their favorite hometown hero. If you think fans chanting Boo-tista in the face of the company's supposed returning megastar is a problem, watch Monday night to see how bad things can get.

I'm not talking about fun-loving Fandango-ing. I'm expecting vulgar chants with four letter words that violate Bleacher Report's standards, and most certainly, won't fit into WWE's PG-friendly programming. WWE officials will likely take away a record number of fan signs prior to the show, which will only incite most fans to be louder and more obnoxious than before.

While WWE likes to burnish it's social media acumen, there is a growing trend online in the last day, and I'm not discussing the #YESMovement, though these Twitter users are likely fans of Daniel Bryan. The tag #hijackRAW has flourished in the last 24 hours as fans have come together in hopes of seeing things get ugly Monday night.

The WWE Universe's support of Bryan forced the company's hand when the Flying Goat was elevated to the main event of SummerSlam. Most were even thrilled when he was inserted into a storyline with Triple H and Randy Orton over the WWE Title. As months have worn on, though, they've grown weary of the never-ending storyline that doesn't appear to have any payoff in sight.

This feeling of neglect among the WWE's most passionate, die-hard, long-term fans was alleviated by the thought that CM Punk would win the Royal Rumble. He had been primed during the weeks leading to the event as an odds-on favorite. That was until Batista arrived and snatched the prestigious honor away from the Straight-Edge Superstar.

The 24 hours that followed were a time of despair for many across the Internet Wrestling Community. First, Bryan lost to Bray Wyatt. Then Bryan wasn't entered into the Rumble at all. Then Batista won the Rumble. Then fans watch Raw and wonder, "Where was Punk?" Then the news breaks that nobody wanted to hear but still surprised no one: Punk took his ball and went home.

Fans have felt jerked around and ignored for the last six months. Heck, many have felt ignored since "Cena Sucks" chants started drowning out pops for Cena four years ago. Now, they're mostly numb to the sugar-coated Cena-explains-the-storyline promos.

Now, WWE is about to walk into a buzzsaw in the Windy City. Chicago is going to do its worst to destroy the flow of the program mere weeks before WrestleMania. WWE may think trotting out Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker will keep them on the good side of Chi-Town fans, but it will likely only lead to worse shenanigans. And no, Aaron Paul showing up to plug his action movie won't make a lick of difference.

If for no other reason than to watch the crowd, Monday Night Raw is going to be an interesting show to watch this week.

bleacherreport.com

leafman101
02-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Wrestling is definitely gay, and any wrestling fan that can't see that takes it too seriously. Its a soap opera with choreographed dancing.

No reason to get defensive about it. Nothing wrong with liking things that are gay.

JaysCyYoung
02-28-2014, 12:00 PM
I had no idea there were so many people that actually watched it to be honest. Especially as adults.

zeke
02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
well, its gay in the same way that superheroes in tights are gay.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
03-03-2014, 12:00 AM
CM Punk is going to be on RAW tomorrow live from his home town of Chicago. There had been a twitter disrupt RAW group trying to get fans who attend the show to hijack it with CM Punk chants.

Looks like that has been averted and agreement between Punk and Vince McMahon has been reached.

Interested to see where they place him on the card. With Bautista essentially turning heel and Orton being a heel, makes sense to insert Punk into the title picture.

JohnnyHolmes
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
well, its gay in the same way that superheroes in tights are gay.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzbkvgETaD1qzdhvpo1_500.jpg

http://www.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/snlhero2_0.jpg

What's gay about that?

Bleedsblue&white
03-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Really...I mean, it's ambiguous at best.

MindzEye
03-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Johnny >>

SundinsTooth
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Wrestling fans are the best. I swear they will find a genetic fingerprint one day.

MindzEye
03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3511895/goldust-flirts-w-undertaker-5-o.gif

#Rorschach

worm
03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
did golddust die?
big boss man?

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
03-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Goldust is still wrestling.

Boss Man died.

worm
03-03-2014, 03:28 PM
hard to keep up with it all

SundinsTooth
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
hard to give two shits about it at all

Polished your post for ya.

^ that came off as gay as this thread. Fitting.

:smilewinkgrin:

worm
03-03-2014, 03:32 PM
well done

and good post

Fitzgerald#11
03-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Daniel Bryan fans rejoice!!!! /puke

Fitzgerald#11
04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Wow the streak is over

Killer93
04-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Gay ****ing shit to see the streak end to Lesnar; knew the streak would end at some point but why to that pansy?

Metalleaf
04-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Because Taker is retiring, he won't make it to another one and he probably asked to face Lesner.

Montana
04-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Brilliant show.

- Bryan not winning the Rumble was made up for in spades with him beating 3/4's of Evolution in one evening.....crowd's reaction was one of the better ones to end Mania since Benoit/Eddie at Wrestlemania XX. Triple H did a great job putting Bryan over in a great match, and that Batistabomb/RKO spot was great.

- Cesaro winning the Andre Battle Royal was great....crowd pop to him picking up the Big Show was enormous.

- Shield match was odd, and was ostensibly just a squash match. Good to at least see them go over though.

- Wyatt-Cena was pretty solid.....Bray cuts the best promo's in Wrestling since Jake the Snake back in the day. Hands down.

- Taker putting over Lesnar has to be one of the biggest shock endings in WWE/F history.....for how smarky all the fans are today, they still managed to pull an ending that left everyone with their jaws dropped. Kids & adults alike.......I highly highly suspect Lesnar winning this match, came hand in hand with him signing an extension that involves wrestling far more dates per year.

- Hogan, Stone Cold & the Rock opening the show was a great way to kick things off.....got the crowd really charged up with the surprises of both SCSA & The Rock showing up.

Mania 30 exceeded my expectations....was a blast to watch.

Fitzgerald#11
04-06-2014, 11:38 PM
That shield match was so odd though. For all the promos in the lead up and to have it over in 5 mins??? Had a feeling they would come help Bryant in the end if\when the authority interfered. Would cement there conversion to good guys.

MyNameIsJonas
04-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Brilliant show.

- Bryan not winning the Rumble was made up for in spades with him beating 3/4's of Evolution in one evening.....crowd's reaction was one of the better ones to end Mania since Benoit/Eddie at Wrestlemania XX. Triple H did a great job putting Bryan over in a great match, and that Batistabomb/RKO spot was great.

- Cesaro winning the Andre Battle Royal was great....crowd pop to him picking up the Big Show was enormous.

- Shield match was odd, and was ostensibly just a squash match. Good to at least see them go over though.

- Wyatt-Cena was pretty solid.....Bray cuts the best promo's in Wrestling since Jake the Snake back in the day. Hands down.

- Taker putting over Lesnar has to be one of the biggest shock endings in WWE/F history.....for how smarky all the fans are today, they still managed to pull an ending that left everyone with their jaws dropped. Kids & adults alike.......I highly highly suspect Lesnar winning this match, came hand in hand with him signing an extension that involves wrestling far more dates per year.

- Hogan, Stone Cold & the Rock opening the show was a great way to kick things off.....got the crowd really charged up with the surprises of both SCSA & The Rock showing up.

Agree with all of this.

Wyatt should have gone over though.

Montana
04-06-2014, 11:44 PM
That shield match was so odd though. For all the promos in the lead up and to have it over in 5 mins??? Had a feeling they would come help Bryant in the end if\when the authority interfered. Would cement there conversion to good guys.

My guess is Bryan-HHH went longer than expected, and they had to make up time.....so they just clipped it from the match.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Brilliant show.

+1

Cannot believe Taker lost. Still shocked.

Montana
04-07-2014, 12:25 AM
http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/ep_full/public/ep/image/2014/04/wrestlemania/20140406_WM30_LARGE_TAKERLOSS.jpg

Montana
04-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Crazy....word is that Taker went straight to the hospital post match, and Vince & Brock went as well. Must have been relatively serious for Vince to miss the main event entirely.

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Crazy....word is that Taker went straight to the hospital post match, and Vince & Brock went as well. Must have been relatively serious for Vince to miss the main event entirely.

wow.

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 12:48 AM
I have to think as soon as tomorrow night on RAW we see Brock Lesnar go after Bryan, possibly with an Authority/Heyman alliance....

Montana
04-07-2014, 01:05 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/SoftDirtyAnemoneshrimp.gif

Montana
04-07-2014, 01:29 AM
+1

Cannot believe Taker lost. Still shocked.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:21 AM

concussion like symptoms.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:31 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

classic

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:54 AM
http://www.wwe.com/videos/paul-heyman-addresses-the-streak-wwecom-exclusive-april-6-2014-26222218

Killer93
04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Still super gay, would rather the streak has ended to someone like Triple H, HBK, or even Kane.

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Still super gay, would rather the streak has ended to someone like Triple H, HBK, or even Kane.

That makes no sense.

You don't end the streak to someone that is already over with the fans and are in their late 30's at best.

If you are going to take this opportunity, and that's what it is an opportunity, you use it to launch one of your biggest youngest names and potential future face of the company. If Brock Lesnar has really agreed to do more dates and appearances he is as good a choice as anyone. Frankly the only other one that makes any sense might have been Bray Wyatt or Roman Reigns next year. To have Taker lose to an already established force like HBK, Cena or HHH is a waste.

Montana
04-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Cracks me up that people are complaining about how the streak ended.....it provided one of the all-time classic moments in WWE, and easily one of the most shocking endings in entertainment that I can recall seeing in a very very very long time....

Made for great television....

You don't end the streak to someone that is already over with the fans and are in their late 30's at best.

If you are going to take this opportunity, and that's what it is an opportunity, you use it to launch one of your biggest youngest names and potential future face of the company. If Brock Lesnar has really agreed to do more dates and appearances he is as good a choice as anyone. Frankly the only other one that makes any sense might have been Bray Wyatt or Roman Reigns next year. To have Taker lose to an already established force like HBK, Cena or HHH is a waste.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Giving it away to old guys like HHH or Shawn would have been a laughably terrible idea....and gone against the golden rule of wrestling on how you make money. Aka the guy "leaving" the territory, puts over a new guy/the next big thing.

Brock is now the Wrestlemania monster that people will attempt to conquer.

Montana
04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Wyatt or Roman Reigns next year. To have Taker lose to an already established force like HBK, Cena or HHH is a waste.

I tend to agree with this, but there are some factors that make those guys lesser options than Lesnar....(a) it's so early in either guys career, it's a big gamble using such a big moment on either guy, and could easily backfire/look like a huge mistake a few years from now....(b) those two are basically baby faces atm, or at the very least are loved by the fans, so it makes it harder to put them over by beating a guy like Taker, (c) if someone like Bray or Reigns were booked vs Taker, the passing of the torch loss would be somewhat predictable....eliminating the brilliance of last nights finish...(d) Taker very may well have said he just had nothing more left in the tank, and waiting another year or two just wasn't an option.

In Lesnar, you know what kind of star you're attaching that achievement to.

....and honestly, all the backlash to it, really speaks to how genius a move it was....given it was a heel that went over. Lesnar instantly just became the biggest heel in the company, who (along with Heyman) can rub something people (clearly) really cared about, in their faces at every turn for years to come.

That anger people are feeling towards to decision...is exactly what Vince and company wanted them to feel afterwards.

If Brock Lesnar has really agreed to do more dates and appearances he is as good a choice as anyone.

If I'm right and as part of this win, Brock has agreed to an extension and/or the wrestle more dates per year....then yeah, this move was really a no brainer.

Brock was the biggest draw in UFC PPV history....and is one of the biggest drawing names in the WWE.....it would be very very Taker to go out like this, in a fashion that makes the company a ton of money going forward.

As Heyman said in that final promo before the match....

"21-1....and then the smallest number, becomes the biggest."

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/Metalleaf24/40FBA982-A65C-4AA4-9831-6308662B83AF_zpszpvdol29.jpg

Montana
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
No one got put over as much as that guy last night....he'll live on forever in wrestling meme history.

Killer93
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
The only way I like this move if Lesnar has in fact agreed to stay in WWE. Reigns would have been my pick to end it if you were going to give it to a young up and coming guy

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Lesner did sign a new contract and it does include more dates, I don't think Taker agrees to do the job for him unless he knew Lesnar was going to be around to capitalize on this. Because what was the point of all this if Lesnar wasn't going to be around.

Either way, a massive WM moment last night, wow!

JackBurton
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
The streak actually made the match have no suspense. That's where it hurt the matches with UT @ WM. Everyone expects 100% taker would win.

In a perfect world, they give the nudge to a younger guy who needs it. But it needed to happen this year and there was no serious candidates.

JackBurton
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee152/Metalleaf24/40FBA982-A65C-4AA4-9831-6308662B83AF_zpszpvdol29.jpg

I would not want to be seen acting like that for a wrestling match.

Killer93
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM
The crowds reactions were EXACTLY the same as mine when I watched from home. Just price-less, my sister has been an Undertaker fan since his first Wrestlemania and she was LIVID

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Guys, Undertaker doesn't lose the streak unless he wants to, Taker gets a ton of autonomy with his character...and I think he hand picked Lesner for this moment.

Montana
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Guys, Undertaker doesn't lose the streak unless he wants to, Taker gets a ton of autonomy with his character...and I think he hand picked Lesner for this moment.

The biggest myth out there, is that Mark Calloway cared about keeping the streak going, and protected it in any way.........truth is, he wanted to lose to Randy Orton back at Wrestlemania 21 nearly a decade ago. Vince & company kyboshed the idea though. He also said he'd lose to Brock back in 2010, at Wrestlemania 26 or 27, which is why he was at that UFC and had the confrontation with Brock that he did, as the WWE had hoped they'd be able to get Lesnar back for a match that year.

While he did obviously have some creative control over his character, Mark Calloway is and always has been, a company many and believes in the old school set up of how the business works......which is that stars need to put others over. That's why you'll never hear stories about Understaker not wanting to "job" to someone, like you would with guys like HBK, HHH, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, etc etc.....because he was always willing to do the job, when asked.

Brock could have been Taker's hand picked guy to be his last match, and/or be the guy he wanted to put over.....or it just as easily could have been Vince's idea, and Taker was on board with it.

A scenario where Taker says he'd only lose to wrestler ______ though?.....just isn't a likely to have occurred. Guy doesn't operate that way.

Montana
04-07-2014, 01:41 PM
The streak actually made the match have no suspense. That's where it hurt the matches with UT @ WM. Everyone expects 100% taker would win.

People always say this after the fact......but in the moment, or if you go back and watch Wrestlemania 25-29.....the biggest crowd roller coaster rides, and pops would be during Taker matches and their false finishes.

In fact, I can guarantee that in each of those 5 matches, the crowds believed more strongly in some of the false finishes of those matches potentially being the end of the streak, than they did in the actual finish of the streak......until of course they realized that the ref had counted 3. Which is kind of the brilliance of it.

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 01:48 PM
One thing Montana mentioned to me that makes a ton of sense....a Sting/Taker retirement match at Mania makes way more sense without the streak than with it, as it adds to the element of either guy losing.

Montana
04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Reigns would have been my pick to end it if you were going to give it to a young up and coming guy

Reigns is likely to be a future star.....but it'd be incredibly risky to put a guy in that situation who hasn't even proven....once...that he can main event a card or be a draw, doesn't have the greatest mic skills, is still somewhat limited in ring, and is a very clear baby-face. Beating a huge fan favourite like Taker, isn't exactly something that helps a young guy get over with the fans.

Conversely.....watch this final Taker-Lesnar Promo, and tell me Lesnar winning isn't the perfect kind of heel heat to make a ton of money for the company going forward.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6BKOSSW5l4

"The affirmation he seeks, is your contempt, your disgust, your distain."

"No one will ever forget, what he's about to do......21 & 1, and then the smallest number, becomes the biggest."

They just gave one of the the best ever on the mic, an insanely valuable piece of material to work with.......Heyman is going to be cutting some all-time great heel promo's coming out of this.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:45 PM
One thing Montana mentioned to me that makes a ton of sense....a Sting/Taker retirement match at Mania makes way more sense without the streak than with it, as it adds to the element of either guy losing.

+1

Sting was at a Wrestling convention last night in New Orleans. During the question period he was asked what his favorite things are. He said "Well, my new favorite number is 31." which got a big pop from the crowd.

Sting vs. Taker at WM 31, with Sting going into the HOF the night before. Both of their last matches would be epic. I agree, not having a streak involved really adds something to that match.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Reigns is likely to be a future star.....but it'd be incredibly risky to put a guy in that situation who hasn't even proven....once...that he can main event a card or be a draw, doesn't have the greatest mic skills, is still somewhat limited in ring, and is a very clear baby-face. Beating a huge fan favourite like Taker, isn't exactly something that helps a young guy get over with the fans.

Conversely.....watch this final Taker-Lesnar Promo, and tell me Lesnar winning isn't the perfect kind of heel heat to make a ton of money for the company going forward.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6BKOSSW5l4

"The affirmation he seeks, is your contempt, your disgust, your distain."

"No one will ever forget, what he's about to do......21 & 1, and then the smallest number, becomes the biggest."

They just gave one of the the best ever on the mic, an insanely valuable piece of material to work with.......Heyman is going to be cutting some all-time great heel promo's coming out of this.

Yup, Heyman is one of the best heel managers of all time and one of the greatest people on the mic. I am watching tonight just to see his promo which will be epic.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rIw05eCV38

corksens
04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
This thread needs to be burned. I am legitimately embarrassed for all of you.

Most disappointed in Montana.

JaysCyYoung
04-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Yikes. Montana with posts in length about wrestling complete with YouTube videos in a format that would make LeafNation blush.

Yikes.

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
What's funny is you two clowns coming into a thread designated for a particular subject which you don't like and complaining about it. You guys are like those loser YouTube commentators who watch a music video and then complain about how much it sucks.

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 07:20 PM
http://cdn.fansided.com/gif/Beer_with_Hogan_the_rock___stone_cold.gif

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 07:29 PM

Coming from the man who yearns for Ottawa Senator afternoon hockey....

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Cesaro hits a new level.

Deckie007
04-07-2014, 10:43 PM

I haven't watched wrasslin' for years, but that's awesome.

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 11:07 PM
I like the Shield turning on Triple H, adds a new element.

MyNameIsJonas
04-07-2014, 11:22 PM
sets up a 4 on 4 at Extreme Rules, a throw away PPV

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Might have to get one of their thug bandanas.

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
http://wonderpodonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ibx580UD1J79QS.gif

Metalleaf
04-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Paige won the Divas title too...there's some promise there.

JackBurton
04-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Having no music play after the win on Taker was a good idea. Nice touch.

JackBurton
04-08-2014, 12:01 AM

This reminds you there's no current wrestlers in their universe.

Rock and Austin coming around the same time was incredible.

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Bryan's popularity is close, but yeah, those guys are legends for a reason.

Fitzgerald#11
04-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Nice to shield turn good. Heck the Wyatt's are getting their own following now

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 12:10 AM
It falls in line with the current trend of people loving characters who aren't wholly good. Also the Wyatt's and Shield are unique.

Montana
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Nice to shield turn good. Heck the Wyatt's are getting their own following now

Another great Mania moment....

http://i.imgur.com/iyORPEr.gif

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 12:26 AM
I feel like a Hipster, but I've been a fan of "Wyatt" since he was Husky Harris. How can anyone related to IRS be bad?

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 12:41 AM
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/001/475/203/hi-res-402af0a0371adcd353442547aab07ad1_crop_north.jpg?w= 650&h=975&q=85

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 12:43 AM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/f36dc1cc78dfb78285152bd74d8c5034/tumblr_n3n9ylhOyD1r6dk6no1_400.gif

https://24.media.tumblr.com/156fa917172c19cbb4bb38acd3d955ee/tumblr_n3osoySomE1qcluu2o1_500.png

Montana
04-08-2014, 07:47 AM

Yikes. Montana with posts in length about wrestling complete with YouTube videos in a format that would make LeafNation blush.

Yikes.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

corksens
04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Grown men watching other grown men in underwear poorly acting scripted fight scenes.

Listen to yourselves.

None of you ever get to bash the USA/Walmart/Redneck crowd again.

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Says the Burberry using, ascot wearing DINK.

corksens
04-08-2014, 10:49 AM
You're white trash for watching this tripe.

You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Why do I have to be ashamed about watching it? Why are you so mad?

corksens
04-08-2014, 10:54 AM
You can watch it all you want. Don't be ashamed.

Just know what it makes you.

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 10:56 AM
It doesn't make me anything, just like watching Breaking Bad doesn't make someone a sociopath. But hey if you want to throw out stereotypes and tropes so that you feel comfortable, go ahead, says more about you than anything else ever will.

MyNameIsJonas
04-08-2014, 10:59 AM
You can watch it all you want. Don't be ashamed.

Just know what it makes you.

Is your father a failed wrestler or something?

You seem to be taking this personal

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Life's easier when you can label something. Only Blacks like basketball, only Latinos like baseball, only white trash watches wrestling.

corksens
04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
It's men acting out wrestling.

Watch MMA and let "wrestling" die the slow painful death it deserves.

Metalleaf
04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
So I should stop watching because you don't like it, makes sense.

worm
04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
wrestling is basically like watch a live action movie

corksens
04-08-2014, 11:44 AM
wrestling is basically like watch a live action movieRevolving around men in tights and underwear.

MindzEye
04-08-2014, 11:51 AM
wrestling is basically like watch a live action movie

a B movie, sure.

leafman101
04-08-2014, 11:52 AM
With soap opera story lines.

CaptainBolduke
04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
I haven't watch much WWE in recent years. I had no idea there were so many hot women on the show now.

JaysCyYoung
04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
No issues here with Metal watching and enjoying the entertainment. I just found it pretty funny that Montana was trying to "analyze" scripted storylines.

Watch what you enjoy and if others don't like it that's their problem.

MindzEye
04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Absolutely.

I find it the absolute height of gay, and could throw around some similar terms to what Corky did that would sum up my feelings on the entire thing and it's core demographics, but at the end of the day I really don't give enough of a ****. Do whatever the **** makes you happy.

corksens
04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Flipping through channels and watching for a few minutes is fine.

Consciously watching and then discussing takes the embarrassment to a whole new level.

It is legitimately the worst form of entertainment available.

MindzEye
04-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Flipping through channels and watching for a few minutes is fine.

Consciously watching and then discussing takes the embarrassment to a whole new level.

It is legitimately the worst form of entertainment available.

Reality shows man, reality shows. I watched a bit back in the day during the ECW days and I've got no qualms with respecting the athleticism and physical difficulty of what these guys put themselves through, while wearing makeup and hot pants on live TV. But give me this scripted, pseudo homosexual crap over every reality show on TV, in the history of TV.

mbow30
04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
No issues here with Metal watching and enjoying the entertainment. I just found it pretty funny that Montana was trying to "analyze" scripted storylines.

Watch what you enjoy and if others don't like it that's their problem.

Well, people do that with movies and books all the time.

The issue is that, unlike the books/movies that are worth analysing, wrestling is generally poorly written.

Montana
04-08-2014, 03:04 PM
People's obsession with declaring their superiority over people who watch wrestling crack me up.....that, in conjunction with their cluelessness about it, is without question one of the many enjoyable variables involved with following it.

corksens
04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
People's obsession with declaring their superiority over people who watch wrestling crack me up.....that, in conjunction with their cluelessness about it, is without question one of the many enjoyable variables involved with following it.Anyone who suggests there is more to wrestling than exactly what is on the screen can not be taken seriously.

TimHorton
04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Anyone who suggests there is more to wrestling than exactly what is on the screen can not be taken seriously

Your ignorance really knows no bounds, eh?

corksens
04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
I am terribly sorry for being so ignorant about the WWE.

TimHorton
04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
I am terribly sorry for being so ignorant about the WWE

No problem, from you ignorance is expected!

corksens
04-08-2014, 04:04 PM
haha. Didn't count you as one of these guys too.

Doubly disappointed.

TimHorton
04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
I haven't watched wrestling in years actually. The last time I watched Stone Cold was still running around, but to discount the whole story telling aspect of wrestling is really, really dumb.

MyNameIsJonas
04-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Ultamite Warrior has passed away.

Habspatrol
04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
People's obsession with declaring their superiority over people who watch wrestling crack me up.....that, in conjunction with their cluelessness about it, is without question one of the many enjoyable variables involved with following it.

Meh, self important people love to declare their superiority over people for their taste in TV, movies, music, sports teams, fashion.... it's all the same.

Metalleaf
04-09-2014, 12:09 AM

He was just on RAW last night...what the heck?!

Habspatrol
04-09-2014, 12:13 AM
54 years old... steroids are a helluva drug.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-09-2014, 12:23 AM

what! no way.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
he was just on raw last night. good lord life is fragile. I cannot believe this.

MindzEye
04-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Meh, self important people love to declare their superiority over people for their taste in TV, movies, music, sports teams, fashion.... it's all the same.

Subtle slam.

I like it.

JackBurton
04-09-2014, 12:40 AM
54 is ancient in wrestling. Those guys don't last long.

MindzEye
04-09-2014, 12:46 AM
he was just on raw last night. good lord life is fragile. I cannot believe this.

well yes, life is really fragile when you spend 10 years of your life abusing steroids and 20+ years abusing coke.

JackBurton
04-09-2014, 12:56 AM
It was pretty sick seeing his veins popping-out in his prime in WWE. Guy always looked coked-out of his skull.

It was sad seeing him barely able to walk on RAW.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-09-2014, 01:02 AM
well yes, life is really fragile when you spend 10 years of your life abusing steroids and 20+ years abusing coke.

Will always remember being 8 years old and being at the Skydome to see Hogan vs. Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. Title for Title.

Metalleaf
04-09-2014, 01:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3vnljT1iE

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-09-2014, 01:04 AM
4 days ago he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, two days ago he was on WWE Raw to cut a promo. Now he is dead. Cannot believe it.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-09-2014, 01:25 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10154454_10153967198295858_2352620607149124580_n.j pg

Vince and Jim Hellwig (Ultimate Warrior) 4 days ago at the WWE HOF event. Amazing how quickly life can turn on a dime.

Metalleaf
04-09-2014, 01:35 AM
Reminds me of when Macho Man died, had a heart attack while driving, then hit a tree....tough day.

CTheBigPicture
04-09-2014, 03:55 AM
Suggestion to all, if you wake up in the middle of the night, don't grab your phone and read about wrestling. Reading the back and forth arguments on whether it's embarrassing or not reminds me of years of defending the "sport".

I haven't watched wrestling in years but it was definitely a big part of my life growing up. Wasn't in Canada, so had to catch it on satellite on different times of the day in all kinds of languages.

I was legitimately convinced that this was real and were told several times by my relatives in the US and Canada that it was all scripted.

At some point I realized that they were right but it didn't take much away from it. Still loved Lex Luger (my favourite) and Taker, hated the Hitman (till I came to Canada and realized he was Canadian), and was fascinated by Shawn Michaels, Mucho Man, Piper, etc. I also loved playing these characters on Sega and pc.

Man was I ever angry for months when the Hitman lost to Michaels in wrestlemania on what looked like a scheme pulled by Vince.

I remember getting my dad into it too when we came to Canada. Always funny waking up and seeing him glued to the TV late nights watching wrestling.
So I don't see liking wrestling embarrassing at all though its not for me anymore. If you don't mind people watching action movies and talking about the plots, then I don't see how you can criticize people doing the same with wrestling. It's a drama filled action series.

Montana
04-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Agree wholeheartedly.

Artnes
04-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Another piece of our childhood gone. Anyone who watched wrestling as a kid loved that lunatic. RIP

mbow30
04-09-2014, 09:22 AM

10 years abusing steroids? did you see the guy? he never stopped. more like 30+.

mbow30
04-09-2014, 09:26 AM
I wonder when the families start a class action against McMahon. Half the guys I watched as a kid are now dead. The guy built a billion dollar brand (or at least, it was a billion dollar brand), and did little to nothing to look out for the guys who literally broke their bodies to get him there. Not only that but he turned a blind eye to rampant steroid abuse over a 20 year period.

And now, these guys are all paying the price. So many of these guys - who in their prime years were amongst the most well conditioned athletes in the world - are dying of heart attacks in their 40s and 50s.

In a lot of ways this is more egregious and the wrestling establishment is more to blame for this epidemic than the NFL is for concussion and neurological disorders (which also afflicts plenty of ex wrestlers). And it's only a matter of time before the lawsuit, imo.

Montana
04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I'd wager most of these guys aren't dying from steroid abuse....it's that they all abused pills over their career's either pain meds or muscle relaxers, and those take a far bigger toll on the body than the steroids do.

For all the flack they get for it being "fake" they put their bodies through more abuse than any athlete's on the planet, given their work schedules (often working 250-300+ shows a year)....and the self medication they did to make it through it is what's now killing them off.

Add to that that many of these guys never broke away from those bad habits of self medication, and in the end a large percentage of these wrestler deaths end up being OD's. (Miss Elizabeth for instance, who never would have taken steroids at any point in her life)

In a lot of ways this is more egregious and the wrestling establishment is more to blame for this epidemic than the NFL is for concussion and neurological disorders (which also afflicts plenty of ex wrestlers). And it's only a matter of time before the lawsuit, imo.

Won't happen. Wrestlers are all independent contractors......such a lawsuit would never ever stick. (A) the deaths can't be tied to steroid abuse, (b) guys dying because of substances they take on their own time isn't something that can be tied to an employer (the NFL lawsuits are tied to what takes place in the sport itself), Vince/WWE instituted a Wellness policy nearly a decade ago (of their own volition) that bans wrestlers that fail drug tests, for steroids, recreational drugs, etc.....and many have been banned/suspended under it, over the years....and (C) Vince actually has done a decent amount to try and help them, banning certain moves, banning chair shots to the head, and giving any wrestler the opportunity to enter drug rehab for any addiction, whether they're current WWE employees or not, 100% free of charge...and they can do so as many times as they themselves deem necessary to kick their habit.

He'll never liable to be tried in such a lawsuit, and if he was, it would fail miserably.

leafman101
04-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Steroid abuse is definitely an issue. They can be fine when used properly in cycles, but abuse, like anything, has a negative effect.

And not only did Vince know about it, but he also used them himself and even facilitated the purchase for wrestlers. There was a big case in the early 90s like there was for baseball. Nothing civil though yet. There is probably a better case there than the concussion stuff, unless there actually was the supposed smoking gun that the NFL knew the consequences and hid them.

mbow30
04-09-2014, 10:36 AM
You could make the same arguments about the nFL lawsuit, but the league still settled.

(A) the neurological disorders suffered by football players haven't definitively been tied to the sport; (B) NFL paid out for injuries that occurred outside of the NFL (C) the NFL had started conducted studies and taking steps to protect players by the time they settled.

And, in fact, most experts think that the NFL most likely would have won in court. but they still settled.

Montana
04-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Steroid abuse is definitely an issue. They can be fine when used properly in cycles, but abuse, like anything, has a negative effect.

#insight

And not only did Vince know about it, but he also used them himself and even facilitated the purchase for wrestlers. There was a big case in the early 90s like there was for baseball. Nothing civil though yet. There is probably a better case there than the concussion stuff, unless there actually was the supposed smoking gun that the NFL knew the consequences and hid them.

There was an attempted federal case against Vince for distribution....which they lost, on account of a lack of evidence.

To my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong.....MLB nor the NFL has had civil suits against them for cases involving steroid/drug abuse by players.

For good reason.....you can't sue a league/WWE for the decisions individuals made on their own, to abuse said drugs.

If there is any case to be made, it would have to be for the concussions....but my guess is they have little chance as such a lawsuit either.

leafman101
04-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah but the burden of proof is much lower in a civil context. A civil class action suit wouldn't be surprising at all.

MyNameIsJonas
04-09-2014, 10:46 AM
It saddens me that half the roster from my favorite WWF Arcade game, Wrestlefest, has passed away

Alive

Hulk Hogan
Jake Roberts
Ted Dibiase
Animal
Smash
Seargent Slaughter

Deceased

Warrior
Earthquake
Hawk
Mr Perfect
Crush
Big Bossman

Montana
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah but the burden of proof is much lower in a civil context. A civil class action suit wouldn't be surprising at all.

I'll wager $500 Vince doesn't lose a class action suit over people using drugs in the WWE in the next decade, if anyone is interested.

MyNameIsJonas
04-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I'll wager $500 Vince doesn't lose a class action suit over people using drugs in the WWE in the next decade, if anyone is interested.

what about settling one?

Montana
04-09-2014, 11:09 AM
what about settling one?

You wanting take me up on said wager?

Montana
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Proof wrestling is real:

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever. "

- Ultimate Warrior, April 7th 2014, on Monday Night Raw.

MyNameIsJonas
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
You wanting take me up on said wager?

I was thinking about it, but i'm going to decline....was moreso curious if that would be part of the deal for anyone interested.

At the end of the day i agree with you though, moreso cause i have to think Vince has at least considered it as possible before and has been assured by lawyers it won't happen.

leafman101
04-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Fools bet. Roughly 5% of lawsuits ever end up in court. And there isn't even an action here at this point.

CTheBigPicture
04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah, Big bossman was really cool too. British bulldog was another one. Million dollar man too . Fun times

Montana
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Fools bet.

That's precisely why I offered it to fools....higher likelyhood they accept.

Montana
04-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah, Big bossman was really cool too. British bulldog was another one. Million dollar man too . Fun times

One of my favourite tidbits of trivia from those days, is that Vince paid Ted Dibiase to travel in limos from the airport, eat at the best restaurants (while often paying for drinks for the whole place, etc), stay in the best hotels, and shop in the richest districts in each city......solely for the purpose of spreading the word that he was actually rich, and to keep up kayfabe.

CTheBigPicture
04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Wow very cool. That just shows you have many layers this business has. It's not just about bunch of guys acting.

mbow30
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
That's precisely why I offered it to fools....higher likelyhood they accept.

When labeling others as fools it probably pays to do a spell check.

corksens
04-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Proof wrestling is real:

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever. "

- Ultimate Warrior, April 7th 2014, on Monday Night Raw.Wrestling isn't real.

Montana
04-09-2014, 02:21 PM
When labeling others as fools it probably pays to do a spell check.

I don't spend time doing things I can have others do for me....

Montana
04-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Wrestling isn't real.

I have to confess you genuinely have me stumped with this one.....unless you're simply repeating the joke I just made?

Montana
04-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Great piece from Grantland's David Shoemaker (aka The Masked Man).....

History Has Been Maimed
The Undertaker’s loss at ‘WrestleMania 30’

The Undertaker lost to Brock Lesnar in the semi-main event of WrestleMania 30.

I’m just going to leave that there, because a sentence like that deserves to be left alone. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, consider the scene: There were 75,167 people in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Sunday, and when they saw Taker lose, their silence was deafening. Mouths hung open in shock, hands were thrown into the air in disbelief, heads swiveled to confirm the truth on other faces. Children cried. Adults cried. I think I saw an usher misting up. It was that kind of moment.

The Undertaker — preternatural pugilist and protector of the old guard of professional wrestling — had come to define WrestleMania over the past two decades. It wasn’t merely his presence at the event, but his wins. The streak, his run of victories on wrestling’s biggest stage, had reached 21. He had never lost at WrestleMania.

The first win came against a declining Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka at WrestleMania 7. At 8, he battled his erstwhile running buddy Jake “The Snake” Roberts, a feud that made Taker a fan favorite (and sent Roberts packing from the WWF for four years). At 9, he was set against Giant Gonzales, the failed basketball center clad in furry, muscle-airbrushed spandex; in this match Taker didn’t win outright, but instead was awarded the victory via disqualification after Gonzales used a chloroform-soaked rag on him. (Taker got his revenge by pinning Gonzales at SummerSlam that year.) He no-showed WrestleMania 10 when he was out with an injury. (Fans will certainly recall this period, when he was “replaced” by an evil replacement Undertaker, known lovingly as “The Underfaker.”) At 11, he felled King Kong Bundy, who was serving under Ted DiBiase’s Million Dollar Corporation. At 12, he showed the door to Diesel (a.k.a. Kevin Nash), who would soon leave the WWF for WCW; the match was far from a thing of beauty, but it was Taker’s first WrestleMania match of significant length. WrestleMania 13 saw Taker win the world title from Sid; Sid had recently acquired it from Bret Hart. The Undertaker’s half brother Kane debuted thereafter, leading to the two men doing battle at WrestleMania 14, where Taker hit Kane with three Tombstone Piledrivers en route to victory. (Kane also delivered one to Pete Rose that night.)

WrestleMania 15 featured one of the most despised matches in WWF history, the Hell in a Cell match between Undertaker and Big Boss Man; Taker was once again a villain, heading a demonic mafia called the Ministry of Darkness, while Boss Man was a lackey in Vince McMahon’s Corporation faction. Nobody minded seeing Boss Man lose, but the manner in which he was defeated — hung by a noose in the middle of the cage — defied all good taste. The outcome also defied logic; after the match it was revealed that Taker and McMahon had been in cahoots all along. It makes sense why WWE rarely plays historical highlight packages of the streak, considering how inconsequential and/or infamous some of its early matches were.

At the Astrodome for ’Mania 17, Taker — now a motorcycle-riding “American Badass” — felled Triple H. Announcer Jim Ross made note of the streak, which was at eight at the start of the match. At 18 the Undertaker clashed with Ric Flair, who was then the putative co-owner of the company. 19 was a handicap match against the Big Show and A-Train (a.k.a. Prince Albert, a.k.a. Lord Tensai, a.k.a. current WWE commentator Jason Albert); Taker got an assist from Aussie strongman Nathan Jones in the win. WrestleMania 20 saw a return of Taker’s undead persona and his feud with Kane. The result was the same. At 21, Randy Orton tried to end the streak — Taker’s undefeated run was now a story line. But even with the assistance of his dad, “Cowboy” Bob Orton, Randy fell short. 22 was a casket match against Mark Henry; Taker won. At WrestleMania 23, he fought champ Batista; the Undertaker won and claimed the title. 24 again saw him pursuing the championship, this time against Edge; Taker again won the belt. WrestleMania 25 and 26 were the legendary matches between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels; at this point, the entire story line was Michaels’s desire to prove himself by breaking the streak. (Despite never winning, his epic performances earned Michaels his own streak-like designation — the moniker “Mr. WrestleMania.”) 27 and 28 were against Michaels’s buddy Triple H; Taker won the first, but was unable to leave the ring under his own power, so he demanded the second as a chance for redemption. Michaels refereed the rematch to bring the four-year story line full circle. The opponent in 29 was CM Punk, who tormented Taker by defiling the memory of the recently dead (in real life) Paul Bearer.

Then came WrestleMania 30.

It’s safe to say nobody saw this coming. Despite Lesnar’s physical dominance, the match seemed destined to be another notch on Taker’s belt. The reasons were numerous: Lesnar stood little to gain from the win; Lesnar is also a part-time performer, and the thinking went that if Taker were to lose, it would be to a younger star who could coast on the triumph. And with WrestleMania 32 already announced for the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium, many fans were looking two years down the line, when they guessed Taker would retire in his home state and in front of the biggest crowd in wrestling history.

He didn’t make it that far. He hasn’t announced his retirement, but it feels imminent, and regardless, the Undertaker who wrestled Sunday looked old and slightly wobbly for the first time, so it’s hard to imagine him continuing for two more years. Fans everywhere are perplexed as to why Lesnar was gifted with the win when he stood to gain so little. If I had to guess, I’d bet that Taker didn’t decide he was done until his feud with Lesnar had already gotten under way and he realized his body wasn’t responding to training like he wanted it to. If he chooses to retire now, it would be at something approaching the top of his game. He is 49 years old, after all.

♦♦♦

Usually, I’d find someplace to mention the Undertaker’s real-life name, Mark Calaway. But in this case, what would be the point? Taker never broke kayfabe, almost never appeared out of character in public, and lived his gimmick to the point that Saturday night, as his old manager Paul Bearer (nÚ William Moody) was being posthumously inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, Taker appeared backlit and in full regalia to silently toast his old cohort. Ten feet in front of him was a sea of wrestlers — good guys, bad guys, legends of every stripe — who were attired in their Sunday best, politely clapping even at their former putative rivals. They were all out of character to honor the history of the business. Undertaker wouldn’t even break scene to eulogize a dear friend.

Except for a few interviews during that odd biker spell in the early 2000s, he always kept character, sidestepping the “reality” of the sport and instead always protecting its old-school ethos. And that, in the end, is the most compelling explanation for the Undertaker’s loss on Sunday. Taker has long been considered the most respected voice of tradition and morality in the WWE locker room. Wrestling custom holds that you always “go out on your back” — losing in your last match to give some glory to a guy who’ll use it to build his career going forward. But in the modern era, with WWE functioning as a monopoly (and owners of the video archives of nearly the entire industry), the notion of legacy has become more powerful than ever. WWE will own the Undertaker’s recorded history for years after he’s gone, and preserving his undefeated streak would have had significant marketing value to the company. But wrestling tradition says you lose your last match, and wrestling tradition won out, which is a decision that would have been Taker’s to make.

It probably didn’t hurt that he respects Lesnar and is a big MMA fan. Taker was in the audience at UFC 121 in 2010, when Lesnar lost the UFC heavyweight title to Cain Velasquez. Taker and Lesnar had a run-in that proved to be one of the most hotly debated wrestling topics of the year. Regardless of whether Taker was inviting Brock to a WrestleMania match — the prevailing theory — or whether he was challenging his manhood, the story line was set for the next time the two men would find themselves in the ring together.

Many fans have questioned why the streak should have ended against Brock, because another wrestler could have used the win as a springboard to the fame Lesnar already has. (Some have even wondered why they didn’t just let CM Punk win last year, which is the craziest thing I can imagine. I love Punk, but he’s not even employed by WWE anymore, so it’s hard to argue he would have used the notoriety that came with beating Taker at WrestleMania any better than Lesnar will.) I understand the logic, but it’s self-defeating. If you named the wrestlers who would stand to gain from beating Taker and all those WWE would actually allow to beat Taker, the only person in both categories right now is Daniel Bryan, and he had other obligations Sunday night. Maybe next year Bray Wyatt or Roman Reigns or Cesaro would have been ready, but right now they aren’t. For someone that young, it may be more than they could handle. The streak is no small thing.

In recent years, Taker’s schedule had transitioned to that of once-a-year special attraction, his body too beaten up from years of in-ring abuse to maintain a full-time schedule. He began to resemble WWE’s original legendary behemoth of the WWF — Andre the Giant (who had his own undefeated streak, exaggerated as it may have been), wrestling infrequently and only out of a sense of obligation to the sport and to McMahon. The streak’s significance to fans and its value to McMahon must have felt like a burden to Calaway as he contemplated the end of his career. The undefeated run had become bigger than the man, especially compared with what his aging body was capable of in the ring. But that’s what wrestling is all about: Man creates legend; legend outlives man.

The streak, in the years before it came to be known as such, was basically a matter of functionality in much the same way the Undertaker’s yearlong undefeated record upon his introduction to the WWF was. He was protected by McMahon to build up his mystique. To have the Undertaker seem like a legitimate threat to Hulk Hogan — and to fully sell him as a supernatural force — required the perception of unrelenting dominance. Years later, long after he had been proven vulnerable, the streak became the going concern of his career and of how WWE marketed his ’Mania appearances. For one day a year, fans would suspend disbelief and accept that Taker was unbeatable.

Despite his penchant for supernatural feuds and casket matches, the Undertaker’s streak has been retrofitted into decidedly tangible terms — a real legendary athlete on a marathon campaign. The streak wasn’t a championship belt, but in many ways it was bigger than one. It was the perfect honorary for a guy who, despite his numerous championships, never really needed one, and mostly only held the belt when it needed the eminence his reputation could confer upon it. In that way, the streak was more than a championship; if Daniel Bryan or Randy Orton or John Cena disappeared, the WWE title would still exist. The streak doesn’t exist without the Undertaker.

What mattered most was the emotional continuity, the consistency of the mega-match feel every year (especially to McMahon and the WWE marketing department), and the comfort of a knowable ending. Even though wrestling fans will imagine every possible outcome to every match, often twisting themselves into knots a couple loops too tight, that kind of fantasy booking doesn’t prove that we want to be shocked; it proves the opposite, that we want to figure out the twist ahead of time. Some have even compared the streak’s end to the Montreal Screwjob in terms of shockingness, but that gets it wrong. To fans at the time, Shawn beating Bret was well within the realm of comprehension. It was only after the fact that the craziness of the incident became clear. Lesnar’s win on Sunday had no frame of reference, and those who witnessed it couldn’t believe their eyes.

The match’s end hit so hard not only because we were surprised but also because we were unnerved. The Undertaker was the element of consistency that we were sure we knew. When he lost, our reality had been changed. That’s hyperbole, sure, but try to think of another situation in which every single person in a football stadium would be sitting in stunned silence. There aren’t many. And there likely won’t be one again.

♦♦♦

WrestleMania weekend put WWE history front and center, with autograph sessions and one-man shows and the WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony. WrestleMania itself opened up with Hulk Hogan, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, and the Rock together in the ring, the crowd cheering loudly as they recited their old catchphrases.

For once, the attention to history felt balanced by the presence of a new generation of wrestlers who could hold a candle to their forebears. When the Shield decimated Kane and the New Age Outlaws on Sunday, it was a metaphor for the changing of the guard. Finally, WWE had a crop of talent promising enough to displace the Attitude Era as the most recent time of pro wrestling greatness. Daniel Bryan at long last reached the mountaintop by defeating Triple H and his cronies, Randy Orton and Batista. Cesaro and Bray Wyatt had moments to shine. They didn’t even trot out any old-timers for the Battle Royal. It almost felt like Lesnar was less a villain than an innocent bystander to this generational shift.

But the past was unavoidable. It was the 30th WrestleMania after all.

Taker’s loss garnered a tidal wave of mainstream coverage, little of which mentioned Daniel Bryan, who won the title in the main event after a months-long ordeal. That’s not a knock on Bryan, it’s just further proof of the power of nostalgia in the wrestling enterprise. Everybody remembers wrestling in their childhood, and the Undertaker was the top-rope-walking embodiment of our youth for so many of us. You can see the same thing in the coverage of the Ultimate Warrior’s death, which has garnered far more press than his Hall of Fame induction. The coverage wasn’t about what happened at the end of the match on Sunday; it was about what Undertaker has given us over the years. But what happened in the ring earned that attention. At one point, Taker climbed to the top rope to perform one of his signature moves (which he borrowed from the Spoiler, Don Jardine): He grabs his opponent’s hand and “walks the top rope like a tightrope,” sliding out to the middle of the ring, and then jumps off, pounding his opponent with a forearm shot. They always refer to this move as “old-school,” a reference to Taker’s longtime use of it. On Sunday, Lesnar snatched him off the top rope and slammed him. So much for tradition.

♦♦♦

During the match you could see he was ready to be done. In the end, even the Deadman couldn’t overcome the reality of our impermanence. He never had the debilitating injury history of Steve Austin, or the substance abuse issues of Jake Roberts or Scott Hall, or the crushing paparazzi drama of Hulk Hogan. But even Mark Calaway couldn’t outlast Father Time. “I wouldn’t say time goes marching on,” said Mean Gene Okerlund in his Hall of Fame induction speech for Mr. T, “but I had two guys in the parking lot chasing me with shovels.”

Of course, during a weekend when the age of the industry was on such stark display, the sentiment was probably best summed up by Hulk Hogan, the 60-year-old former face of the WWF and host of WrestleMania 30. On Monday night, when he was recapping the highs of the previous night, he said he just knew that “the big man upstairs was looking down with a smile on his face.” But Hogan wasn’t talking about God. He was talking about Andre the Giant. In WWE, the past is God. The present is just trying to get there.

http://grantland.com/features/undertaker-loss-brock-lesnar-wwe-wrestlemania-30/

Montana
04-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Nancy Grace was apparently bad mouthing dead wrestlers (including The Ultimate Warrior) on her show tonight.....Sheiky put her in her place tho...

@ironsheik Nancy Grace YOU FAT DUMB BITCH I beat the F*CK out of you talk bad about my wrestling brother. GO F*CK YOURSELF YOU DEAD DOG WHORE

JackBurton
04-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Nancy Grace is the worst human being.

Habsy
04-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Wrestling isn't real.

Even predetermined outcomes are "real".

I do agree with your implication that the WWE is a joke though.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Nancy Grace is the worst human being.

She is a mean, vicious, bitter, man hating women. Never got over her ex-fiancÚs murder.

Metalleaf
04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Sounds like a perfect WWE character.

corksens
04-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Even predetermined outcomes are "real".

I do agree with your implication that the WWE is a joke though.Well, yes, they do literally exist.

But I can't fathom any reason why any grown man would want to watch a predetermined wrestling match of men wearing only underwear and boots.

Bleedsblue&white
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Maybe some guys are confident enough to not worry what people think about them?

Seems to me if you are worried that watching a man in tights wrestle might make you gay...you might be gay.

Personally, I can remember the old days, which for me is WWF with Rowdy Rod, Hulk,Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, maybe a little earlier with Jimmy the Superfly Snuka. I remember because my dad watched. He actually went, on his own ( I wan't into it) to Maple Leaf Gardens to see some Wrestlemania or other. I think he saw Macho Man take on somebody...whatever...but I remember thinking my dad was nuts for going.
Didn't think he was gay though.

worm
04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
people watch a ton of scripted TV/theatre/movies

corksens
04-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Seems to me if you are worried that watching a man in tights wrestle might make you gay...you might be gay.

Personally, I can remember the old days, which for me is WWF with Rowdy Rod, Hulk,Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, maybe a little earlier with Jimmy the Superfly Snuka. I remember because my dad watched. He actually went, on his own ( I wan't into it) to Maple Leaf Gardens to see some Wrestlemania or other. I think he saw Macho Man take on somebody...whatever...but I remember thinking my dad was nuts for going.
Didn't think he was gay though.Nothing wrong about watching guys in tights - as long as they aren't over-acting out a fight scene.

I can appreciate MMA for what it is, even though I don't find it entertaining. WWE has no redeemable qualities, as far as I can see.

And if you want proof, just look at the average viewer/attendee to one of their events. If you want that to be the company you keep then by all means...

corksens
04-10-2014, 12:59 PM
people watch a ton of scripted TV/theatre/moviesDo people really watch alot of live, scripted, sports?

Bleedsblue&white
04-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I can remember waking up early Saturday mornings, in the 70's and watching Skinny Minnie Miller rollerskate into the opposition. When I was 3-6, I didn't care about plots.

worm
04-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Do people really watch alot of live, scripted, sports?

I believe a lot of people do watch the NBA...ya.

SundinsTooth
04-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't follow wrestling and fail to see the attachment guys have, but I have enough of my own quirky hobbies and interests that I would definitely be a hypocrite for bashing anyone else.

worm
04-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't follow wrestling and fail to see the attachment guys have, but I have enough of my own quirky hobbies and interests that I would definitely be a hypocrite for bashing anyone else.

Video games....for example.

Montana
04-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Game of Thrones is watching other adults, play dress up, wear make-up (even the men!! ZoMG THAT's GAY!) while pretending they live in a world where dragons & magic exist....

When you apply the dumbed down kind of logic cork applies, anything can be shown to be much much less than it is.....that's why the opinions of those most ignorant to a subject (in this case cork) is almost without fail the one which holds by far the least value.

Didn't think he was gay though.

Those that aren't genuinely confident/comfortable with who they are, are the easiest to spot....as they need to dimish the art forms, job's, activities, beliefs, sexual conquests, etc etc of others in an feeble effort to convince themselves of their own importance and relevance.

Those that are truly confident in who they are, recognize that virtually any art form has relevance and said relevance is dictated by the observer....not solely by it's creator. (That's why for instance a master like Kubrick would rarely if ever explain the meaning of his art....realizing that it's far more powerful to have people actively seeking out their own meaning, than having it spoon fed to them directly from him. In almost any instance, the art will always exceed it's initial intent because those that take it in, can take away from it almost an infinite amount of possible meanings)

Now, that's not to pretend that professional wrestling is an art form on the level of classical literature or anything.....when I'm sitting down in the morning having a coffee and reading Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov, and it's themes/comments on Existentialism....I'm extracting something infinitely different than I am, when I watch a WWE show......which is much more along the lines of how I enjoy the absurdism of Tim & Eric, or the brilliance of a bad movie like Troll 2. That said, there are elements to it that I enjoy on a level I would a Cirque de Solei show....the athletic brilliance of a Sammy Zayn, or freakish strength of a Cesaro. There's also the incredibly fascinating aspect of mass manipulation that is played out via in ring psycology (a wrestlers being able to manipulate crowd reactions given the move set he uses.).....as well as the manipulation on a grander level by creative leading fans to believe a certain thing is going to happen storyline wise (both by how things unfold onscreen, but also by what they "leak" to wrestling reporters like Dave Meltzer & the Wrestling Observer).....only to given them a completely different outcome and elicit enormous shock & awe from 20-75 thousand fans.

Something that's thoroughly entertaining to witness unfold in both the long story form....as well as in the moment when you see 75 thousand people all in a unified stunned silence, as was the case as Wrestlemania when the Undertaker lost.

There's also the Greek tragedy aspect.....of watching the real life heroes and god's of people's youth, fall from grace as they continuously chase the high of having 50 thousand people chanting their names, while simultaneously trying to deal with the mental and physical wear and tear they put on their bodies performing 300+ dates a year.

We all don't watch hockey because of the product on the ice.....we watch it because of that product, as well as the entertainment that comes with following the statistics of the sport, the financial implications of contracts, the wrestling storyline-esque narratives of lockeroom issues, coache-player relationships, GM's trade & draft abilities, rivalries, good guys like Joe Sakic, bad guys like Sean Avery, carnival barkers like Don Cherry, reality shows like 24/7 that let us look behind the scenes, trade rumours, and on and on and on.....similarly people who watch wrestling and find entertainment value in it's product, don't watch it simply for "fake fighting between two men in their underwear."

.....and I can genuinely say I could care less what anyone thinks about me in any aspect of my life, be it the books I read, the work I do, the women I f*ck (or men, for that matter, if I ever got the inkling), art I enjoy, sexual perversions I get off on, food I eat, or language I use. As the only meaning in any aspect of my life that holds any weight, is that which I give it.

Having said that, it does irk me that some people DO feel shame about the things they genuinely enjoy and are made to feel less about themselves for enjoying the things they do, simply because dumb ignorant f*cks who have self confidence issues of their and don't like who they are....feel the need to dimish the things others do find joy in, in an attempt to make themselves feel superior and fill the empty chasm they have in their lives.

If you enjoy something, and it doesn't harm anyone else.....you shouldn't give one sweet f*ck what anyone else has to say about it, because it's almost always 100% irrelevant.

Montana
04-10-2014, 02:03 PM
ps - wrote all that bullshit from my phone, and refuse to proofread posts I make on forums....so I encourage anyone who is interested, to count up any/all errors they can find, and consider the total to be their new highscore in the game of life.

MindzEye
04-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I count 42

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Game of Thrones is watching other adults, play dress up, wear make-up (even the men!! ZoMG THAT's GAY!) while pretending they live in a world where dragons & magic exist....

When you apply the dumbed down kind of logic cork applies, anything can be shown to be much much less than it is.....that's why the opinions of those most ignorant to a subject (in this case cork) is almost without fail the one which holds by far the least value.

Those that aren't genuinely confident/comfortable with who they are, are the easiest to spot....as they need to dimish the art forms, job's, activities, beliefs, sexual conquests, etc etc of others in an feeble effort to convince themselves of their own importance and relevance.

Those that are truly confident in who they are, recognize that virtually any art form has relevance and said relevance is dictated by the observer....not solely by it's creator. (That's why for instance a master like Kubrick would rarely if ever explain the meaning of his art....realizing that it's far more powerful to have people actively seeking out their own meaning, than having it spoon fed to them directly from him. In almost any instance, the art will always exceed it's initial intent because those that take it in, can take away from it almost an infinite amount of possible meanings)

Now, that's not to pretend that professional wrestling is an art form on the level of classical literature or anything.....when I'm sitting down in the morning having a coffee and reading Dostoevsky's Brothers Karamazov, and it's themes/comments on Existentialism....I'm extracting something infinitely different than I am, when I watch a WWE show......which is much more along the lines of how I enjoy the absurdism of Tim & Eric, or the brilliance of a bad movie like Troll 2. That said, there are elements to it that I enjoy on a level I would a Cirque de Solei show....the athletic brilliance of a Sammy Zayn, or freakish strength of a Cesaro. There's also the incredibly fascinating aspect of mass manipulation that is played out via in ring psycology (a wrestlers being able to manipulate crowd reactions given the move set he uses.).....as well as the manipulation on a grander level by creative leading fans to believe a certain thing is going to happen storyline wise (both by how things unfold onscreen, but also by what they "leak" to wrestling reporters like Dave Meltzer & the Wrestling Observer).....only to given them a completely different outcome and elicit enormous shock & awe from 20-75 thousand fans.

Something that's thoroughly entertaining to witness unfold in both the long story form....as well as in the moment when you see 75 thousand people all in a unified stunned silence, as was the case as Wrestlemania when the Undertaker lost.

There's also the Greek tragedy aspect.....of watching the real life heroes and god's of people's youth, fall from grace as they continuously chase the high of having 50 thousand people chanting their names, while simultaneously trying to deal with the mental and physical wear and tear they put on their bodies performing 300+ dates a year.

We all don't watch hockey because of the product on the ice.....we watch it because of that product, as well as the entertainment that comes with following the statistics of the sport, the financial implications of contracts, the wrestling storyline-esque narratives of lockeroom issues, coache-player relationships, GM's trade & draft abilities, rivalries, good guys like Joe Sakic, bad guys like Sean Avery, carnival barkers like Don Cherry, reality shows like 24/7 that let us look behind the scenes, trade rumours, and on and on and on.....similarly people who watch wrestling and find entertainment value in it's product, don't watch it simply for "fake fighting between two men in their underwear."

.....and I can genuinely say I could care less what anyone thinks about me in any aspect of my life, be it the books I read, the work I do, the women I f*ck (or men, for that matter, if I ever got the inkling), art I enjoy, sexual perversions I get off on, food I eat, or language I use. As the only meaning in any aspect of my life that holds any weight, is that which I give it.

Having said that, it does irk me that some people DO feel shame about the things they genuinely enjoy and are made to feel less about themselves for enjoying the things yet do, simply because dumb ignorant f*cks who have self confidence issues and don't like who they are....feel the need to dimish the things others do find joy in, to make them feel better.

If you enjoy something, and it doesn't harm anyone else.....you shouldn't give one sweet f*ck what anyone else has to say about it, because it's almost always 100% irrelevant.

:thumbsup:

Well said.

Montana
04-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I count 42

.....the meaning of life has revealed itself to the universe.

SundinsTooth
04-10-2014, 02:18 PM
But those Magic the Gathering guys are the worst, right Mont?

Montana
04-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Often see a large group of those guys having tournaments and what not, at a local comic book shop I frequent for some of my light reading.....probably the biggest group of people I see hanging out for their respective hobby actually, now that I think of it.

Always seem to be having a blast too.

SundinsTooth
04-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Witnessed a tournament myself a few weeks back at a Nerd Nite Waterloo event. Talk about some big bucks invested.

corksens
04-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Having said that, it does irk me that some people DO feel shame about the things they genuinely enjoy and are made to feel less about themselves for enjoying the things they do, simply because dumb ignorant f*cks who have self confidence issues of their and don't like who they are....feel the need to dimish the things others do find joy in, in an attempt to make themselves feel superior and fill the empty chasm they have in their lives.

If you enjoy something, and it doesn't harm anyone else.....you shouldn't give one sweet f*ck what anyone else has to say about it, because it's almost always 100% irrelevant.Sounds like you do.

Montana
04-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you do.

Count none of us as surprised that you would continue your streak of being mistaken.

Bleedsblue&white
04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Often see a large group of those guys having tournaments and what not, at a local comic book shop I frequent for some of my light reading.....probably the biggest group of people I see hanging out for their respective hobby actually, now that I think of it.

Always seem to be having a blast too.

The game is quite good. At it's heart it's just another card game, but a damn good one. I don't play, but I bought a whack of cards the year the game was started as a collector thing, then I learned to play against A.I in the various PC games and I enjoy it, just not enough to join a club or play people.

I read a few of the books too. Simple fare, but it actually made it easier to understand the game.

Montana
04-10-2014, 04:31 PM
The game is quite good. At it's heart it's just another card game, but a damn good one. I don't play, but I bought a whack of cards the year the game was started as a collector thing, then I learned to play against A.I in the various PC games and I enjoy it, just not enough to join a club or play people.

I read a few of the books too. Simple fare, but it actually made it easier to understand the game.

Can't claim I know a whole lot about it, but from the little I do I can see why people find it entertaining....as you point out, it takes many of the better aspect of tradition card games, added with the combative strategies of a game like chess, along with the collector/speculative market aspect of baseball card trading, the enjoyment people get from getting together for tournaments/trading cards etc....and like I say, people sure do seem to enjoy the f*ck out of it. Comic book shop is virtually always packed with people playing it.

just not enough to join a club or play people.

...or maybe you'd enjoy it far more if you did play it vs real people. Might be worth killing a couple hours one afternoon to check it out one time.

worm
04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Montana and I play Raw Deal cards all the time.

Artnes
04-10-2014, 04:46 PM
freakish strength of a Cesaro

One arm clean with 135 and make it look easy. Jesus christ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MpGtdTlPXKI

Metalleaf
04-10-2014, 05:51 PM
He's a freak and I'm not talking about Scott Steiner.

CaptainBolduke
04-10-2014, 05:58 PM
ps - wrote all that bullshit from my phone, and refuse to proofread posts I make on forums....so I encourage anyone who is interested, to count up any/all errors they can find, and consider the total to be their new highscore in the game of life.

Don't worry about it. No one cares about internet message board typos.

Metalleaf
04-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Some people are saying that Sting has apparently signed a contract with the WWE. Last WCW holdover.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Taker vs Sting at WM 31?

Sting has signed his deal with WWE. Not sure of the details regarding what role he will play but he is scheduled to be on television at some point, but not right away...he deal described to me as being close for a while, but now it’s signed. Sting’s assumption was he would work with Undertaker, which many expected. With Undertaker losing, and his future being in question, that would be up in the air.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2024976-report-sting-officially-signs-with-wwe

CTheBigPicture
04-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Do people really watch alot of live, scripted, sports?

I haven't watched wrestling in years but you'll get it as soon as you think of it as an action movie being played in front of you with the actors and stuntmen being one and the same.

Montana
05-23-2014, 04:38 PM
WWE Network is the greatest......was watching the 1987 Survivor Series last night, and stumbled across this gem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiIxBEVgWmY

TimHorton
05-23-2014, 06:30 PM
No one cuts a promo like that anymore, that's amazing.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
05-23-2014, 06:49 PM
One of my all time favorite bad guys. Ted Dibease was excellent. Shame he never has a run with the WWF World title.

He was supposed to win the title at Wrestlemania 4 but a corresponding move was for Macho Man to win the IC title from Honky Tonk Man. HTM refused to do the job and plans changed to Macho winning the title instead of Dibease.

Montana
06-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Seth >

Killer93
06-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Rollins turns on the Shield

Metalleaf
06-03-2014, 10:36 AM
What a twist!

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
06-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Wow! Well played WWE. Didn't see that coming at all.