PDA

View Full Version : THN Prospect Report (Leafs rank 28th)

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Our Top-10 Prospects

#1 Frederik Gauthier, C, 18, Rimouski (QMJHL) Ranked 61st of top 75
Teams can overvalue their prospects. But the Leafs are realistic about Gauthier's future. "Is he going to be a big scorer in the NHL?" Morrison said. "Probably not. But he's going to help us win hockey games." Gauthier projects to be a third line center. That might not sound like much for a first-round pick, but it was the role he played for Canada at the world juniors, where he killed penalties, took defensive zone faceoffs and was used in a shutdown capacity.

#2 Matthew Finn, D, 19, Guelph (OHL)
A year ago, Finn finished outside the top 30 among OHL defenseman in scoring. This year, he is in the top three. What's the difference? "He's healthy," said Morrison. Finn missed 27 games and played through Mononucleosis last season. Now the Guelph captain is on his way to joining Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner on a young Leaf blueline. "He's having a terrific year on a terrific team," Morrison said. "He has the potential to be on the power play."

#3 Andreas Johnson, LW, 19, Frolunda (Swe.)
The Leafs do not take many chances, but they took a gamble on Johnson when they selected him in the seventh round. So far, it's paying off. The forward, who recently made the jump to the Swedish League, is having a breakout year after helping his country reach the final at the world juniors. "He's a small player, but protects the puck well and has a high IQ," Morrison said. "He has the ingredients that will help him over here."

#4 Connor Brown, RW, 20, Erie (OHL)
When the Leafs selected Brown in the sixth round, all anyone talked about was his minus-72 rating. Two years later, he was the first to reach 100 points in all of major junior. While playing with projected 2015 top pick Connor McDavid has helped, the two have been split up for half the season. "I don't think it's just McDavid," Morrison said. "In Browns draft year, he had 53 points as a 17-year old out of tier-II. So, it's not unexpected."

#5 Petter Granberg, D, 21, Toronto (AHL)
You'd think Granberg, who matched up against Steven Stamkos at the world championship, would be an NHL'er by now. But the Leafs have been patient, keeping him in Sweden for three years before bringing him to North America. Now, it is just a matter of waiting for a roster spot. "A year ago, he looked like he was going to be an NHLer," Morrison said. "We didn't know how long it would take to make the transition. By the looks of it, it won't be long."

#6 Andrew MacWilliam, D, 23, Toronto (AHL)
The stay-at-home defenseman's game is about punishment. "He hits to hurt," Morrison said.

#7 Greg McKegg, C, 21, Toronto (AHL)
Ice time limited during the lockout, but McKegg is aiming to become a point-per-game scorer in the minors.

#8 Josh Leivo, LW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
A right-handed left winger like Joffrey Lupul. Toronto sees top-six potential with this power forward.

#9 Tyler Biggs, RW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Compared to Milan Lucic on draft day, Biggs is developing into more of a fourth-liner.

#10 Stuart Percy, D, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Doesn't hit or score, but he possesses sufficient hockey IQ to become another Carl Gunnersson.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (Rank 28th)

"No risky business; Leafs haven't hit one out of the park, but they've restocked bare cupboards.

If you were to pick one word to describe the Toronto Maple Leafs' philosophy at the draft, it would have to be "Safe". After years of trading away picks and prospects, the organization's focus has been to restock the cupboards by taking low-risk, low-reward players instead of trying to swing for the fences. That was certainly the case with 2013 first-round pick Frederik Gauthier, who the Leafs project as a No.3 center. 'You have to rate the risk-reward factor versus a guy you know is going to be an asset," said Dave Morrison, Toronto's director of amateur scouting. "He might not be flashy, but you know he'll be an asset."

... I can't even tell you how much I disagree with these rankings. Stuart Percy >>>>>>>>>>> Tyler Biggs.

leafman101
03-07-2014, 03:09 PM
If you were to pick one word to describe the Toronto Maple Leafs' philosophy at the draft, it would have to be "Safe". After years of trading away picks and prospects, the organization's focus has been to restock the cupboards by taking low-risk, low-reward players instead of trying to swing for the fences. That was certainly the case with 2013 first-round pick Frederik Gauthier, who the Leafs project as a No.3 center. 'You have to rate the risk-reward factor versus a guy you know is going to be an asset," said Dave Morrison, Toronto's director of amateur scouting. "He might not be flashy, but you know he'll be an asset."[/I]

Yeah pretty much. Not any high end talent there, lots of depth though. Not sure that is a #28 system. That is 10 legit prospects.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:12 PM
It's really nothing to be concerned about seeing as our NHL club is so young, IMO.

But that top 10 is pretty bizarre to me.

leafman101
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
My List:
1. Finn
2. Percy
3. Gauthier
4. Leivo
5. Granberg
6. McKegg
7. Vergaghe
8. Johnson
9. Brown
10. Broll/D'Amigo

Unless Holland still counts, then obviously he is number 1.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:17 PM
My List:
1. Finn
2. Percy
3. Gauthier
4. Leivo
5. Granberg
6. McKegg
7. Vergaghe
8. Johnson
9. Brown
10. Broll/D'Amigo

Unless Holland still counts, then obviously he is number 1.

I know we all have minor differences for which prospects we like better but I'm pretty sure we'd all come up with a list more similar to this than theirs. I think Finn would be my #1 as well. Percy 10th and behind MacWilliam, Biggs, etc is just stupid.

Artnes
03-07-2014, 03:22 PM
If Ken Campbell has anything to
do with the rankings I can see why they are ranked so poorly

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:29 PM
If Ken Campbell has anything to
do with the rankings I can see why they are ranked so poorly

The bizarre thing is that I think THN claims that the teams submit their own list and that these come from Morrison...

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
My mistake. Looks like we're 29th not 28th. Here's the rest of the teams.

1st. Ana - Gibson (2nd)/Vatanen (24th)/Rakell (28th)/Theodore (75th)/ Noesen/Karlsson/Kerdiles/Sorensen/Wagner/Friberg
2nd. CBJ - Wennberg (9th)/Erixon (44th)/Dansk (46th)/Rychel (52nd)/Bjorkstrand/Dano/Anderson/Chaput/Heatherington/Reilly
3rd. FLO - Matheson (22nd)/McCoshen (53rd)/Petrovic (69th)/Trochek/Grimaldi/Howden/Robak/Brittain/Downing/Rau
4th. MIN - Dumba (31st)/Olofsson (58th)/Kuemper/Bulmer/Lucia/Graovac/Phillips/Gabriel/Bussieres/Gilmour
5th. CAR - McGinn/Jordan/Rask/Carrick/Di Giuseppe/Pesce/Tolchinsky/Altshuller/Lowe/Slavin
6th. BUF - Ristolainen (7th)/Zadorov (8th)/Grigorenko (42nd)/Armia (54th)/McCabe/Larsson/Compher/Baptiste/Possler/McNabb (Traded to LA yesterday)
7th. MTL - De La Rose (26th)/ Fucale (33rd)/Tinordi (36th)/McCarron/Lehkonen/Collberg (Traded to Isle)/ Hudon/Andrighetto/Reway/Bozon
8th. WPG - Morrissey (30th)/Petan (57th)/Comrie (73rd)/Lowry/Copp/Hellebuyck/Melchiori/Kosmachuk/Lipon/Olsen
9th. COL - Bigras (64th)/Siemens/Hishon/Pickard/Elliot/Aittokaillio/Martin/Butcher/Heard/Bourke
10th. TB - Drouin (1st)/Vasilevskiy (13th)/Koekkoek (72nd)/Erne/Connolly/Nestorov/Namestnikov/Sustr/Gudlevskis/Paquette
11th. EDM - Nurse (21st)/Klefbom (43rd)/Brossoit/Pitlick/Gernat/Moroz/Slepyshev/Khaira/Yakimov/Chase
12th. OTT - Lazar (14th)/Stone/Borowiecki/Puemple/Wikstand/Pageau/Hogberg/Da Costa/Hoffman/Grant
13th. CHI - Tervainen (3rd)/Hartman (47th)/Clendening/Pirri/McNeill/Hayes/Nordstrom/Danault/Morin/Leblanc
14th. STL - Jaskin (16th)/Allen (27th)/Rattie (51st)/Edmundson/Schmaltz/Vannelli/Parayko/Carrier/Binnington/Pochiro
15th. BOS - Subban (25th)/Morrow (50th)/Spooner (59th)/Svedberg/Warsofsky/Khokhlachev/Ferlin/Arnesson/Camara/Knight
16th. WAS - Kuznetsov (6th)/Burakovsky (19th)/Schmidt/Latta/Wey/Barber/Bowey/Galiev/Stephenson/Sanford
17th. DET - Mantha (10th)/Jurco (32nd)/Jarnkrok (41st)/Ouellet (63rd)/Sheahan (66th)Sproul/Mrazek/Backman/Pulkkinen/Frk
18th. NAS - Forsberg (4th)/Sissons (70th)/Beck/Mazanec/Watson/Salomaki/Leipsec/Diaby/Saros/Vesey
19th. PIT - Pouliot (20th)/Dumoulin (45th)/Jarry/Harrington/Murray/Megna/Sundqvist/Wilson/Archibald/Hartzell
20th. DAL - Oleksiak (38th)/Ritchie (39th)/Campbell (68th)/Faksa/Shore/Klingberg/Dickinson/Nemeth/Guptill/Desrosiers
21st. SJ - Mueller (17th)/Boudreau/Doherty/Hamilton/Tierney/Petrecki/Abeltshauser/Sateri/Lalancette/Demelo
22nd. PHX - Domi (18th)/Gormley (37th)/Samuelsson (49th)/Brown/Lessio/Visentin/Dauphin/Miele/Rieder/Laplante
23rd. CLG - Gaudreau (29th)/Baertschi (35th)/Poirier (48th)/Gillies/Klimchuk/Ortio/Jankowski/Granlund/Reinhart/Arnold
24th. NJD - Matteau (34th)/Santini (67th)/Severson (71st)/Boucher/Kinkaid/Black/Scarlett.Pietila/Wedgewood/Kujawinski
25th. NYI - Strome (5th)/Reinhart (11th)/Pulock (60th)/Lee/Pokka/Mayfield/Pelech/Sundstrom/Cammarata/Pedan
26th. LA - Pearson (55th)/Zykov (62nd)/Fashing (65th)/Forbort/Vey/Shore/Mersch/Lowry/Dowd/Gravel
27th. PHI - Laughton (15th)/Morin (56th)/Gostisbehere/Cousins/Alt/Stolarz/Hagg/Leier/Lauridsen/Straka
28th. VAN - Horvat (12th)/Shinkaruk (40th)/Corrado/Gaunce/Cassels/fox/Jensen/Hutton/Cederholm/Subban
29th. TOR
30th. NYR - Miller (23rd)/Skjei (74th)/Fast/Allen/McIlrath/Duclair/Kristo/Graves/Lindberg/Nieves

leafman101
03-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Gibson is the 2nd best prospect in the league?

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I stole that list from HFboards and someone who had bought the magazine posted that...

Looks like 1. Drouin, 2. Gibson 3. Teravainen 4. Forsberg 5. Strome 6. Kuznetsov 7th. Ristolainen 8. Zadorov 9. Wennberg 10. Mantha

Volcanologist
03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Gibson is the 2nd best prospect in the league?

Think they took him with our pick, too?

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Think they took him with our pick, too?

You're right.

"Traded 2011 first round pick (#30-Rickard Rakell), 2011 second round pick (#39-John Gibson) to Ducks for 2011 first round pick (#22-Tyler Biggs) on 2011-06-24"

I got a really hard time here for my criticism of the Biggs move. Screw those people. :tongue3:

Deckie007
03-07-2014, 06:33 PM
You're right.

"Traded 2011 first round pick (#30-Rickard Rakell), 2011 second round pick (#39-John Gibson) to Ducks for 2011 first round pick (#22-Tyler Biggs) on 2011-06-24"

I got a really hard time here for my criticism of the Biggs move. Screw those people. :tongue3:

2nd & 28th ranked prospects for Biggs. FFS Burkie.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 06:41 PM
It's weird though because the two picks where the GM would have the most input and take the most ownership (Rielly and Kadri at 5/7) were the exact opposite of safe, low ceiling guys. Kinda wonder if the safe direction is Morrison's preference.

Montana
03-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I recall a ton of us being disheartened by the Biggs pick......seems like many of the prospects we all hoping to draft at the time Puempel, Morrow, Rattie, Saad....at the very least continued to be players I'd prefer to have over Biggs.

That said, I don't recall any of us being super high on Gibson at the time.

MindzEye
03-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Weird that our top 10 list doesn't include Verhaege, seeing that he is probably the highest offensive upside forward in the organization right now. Also sucks that Peter Holland would have graduated from most prospect lists this season when he crossed over the 50 games played mark in the NHL.

Holland would slot in at #1 on that list and CV should be in the top 5-6 no question.

leafman101
03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I really don't think Gibson is the 2nd best prospect in hockey.

MindzEye
03-07-2014, 07:01 PM

I'd be inclined to agree with this, but there always has to be a massively over rated goalie high in these prospect rankings.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM

I don't think so either.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Weird that our top 10 list doesn't include Verhaege, seeing that he is probably the highest offensive upside forward in the organization right now. Also sucks that Peter Holland would have graduated from most prospect lists this season when he crossed over the 50 games played mark in the NHL.

Holland would slot in at #1 on that list and CV should be in the top 5-6 no question.

I'd have Verhaeghe, Leivo, Percy all higher.

leafman101
03-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I recall a ton of us being disheartened by the Biggs pick......seems like many of the prospects we all hoping to draft at the time Puempel, Morrow, Rattie, Saad....at the very least continued to be players I'd prefer to have over Biggs.

Yeah, if we are playing the hindsight game, not moving up and ending up with Percy, Jenner and Saad would have been pretty sweet.

I defending the Biggs pick, but I never liked the trade. Not much difference between 20 and 30, but you get an extra shot with the extra pick. Odds of getting a player at that point aren't great, may as well double your lottery tickets.

LeafOfFaith
03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Where are our players' overall numerical rankings?

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Where are our players' overall numerical rankings?

First post of this thread.

Gauthier 61st out of 75. That's it.

LeafOfFaith
03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
That's ****ing hilarious.

Brown leading the entire OHL, Verhaeghe having a fantastic year there too, Johnson killing it in Sweden and posting WAY better numbers that Collberg when he was his age, Finn being great both offensively and defensively. The **** do these idiots know about anything.

hockeylover
03-07-2014, 08:37 PM
1. Drouin
2. Gibson
3. Tervainen
4. Forsberg
5. Strome
6. Kuznetsov
7. Ristolainen
8. Zadorov
9. Wennberg
10. Mantha
11. Reinhart
12. Horvat
13. Vasilevski
14. Lazar
15. Laughton
16. Jaskin
17. Mueller
18. Domi
19. Burakovsky
20. Pouliot
21. Nurse
22. Matheson
23. Miller
24. Vatanen
25. Subban
26. De La Rose
27. Allen
28. Rakell
29. Gaudreau
30. Morrissey
31. Dumba
32. Jurco
33. Fucale
34. Matteau
35. Baertschi
36. Tinordi
37. Gormley
38. Oleksiak
39. Ritchie
40. Shinkaruk
41. Jarnkrok
42. Grigorenko
43. Klefbom
44. Erixon
45. Dumoulin
46. Dansk
47. Hartman
48. Poirier
49. Samuelsson
50. Morrow
51. Rattie
52. Rychel
53. McCoshen
54. Armia
55. Pearson
56. Morin
57. Petan
58. Olofsson
59. Spooner
60. Pulock
61. Gauthier
62. Zykov
63. Ouellet
64. Bigras
65. Fasching
66. Sheahan
67. Santini
68. Campbell
69. Petrovic
70. Sissons
71. Severson
72. Koekkoek
73. Comrie
74. Skjei
75. Theodore

zeke
03-07-2014, 11:05 PM
That's a brutal top-10 list there.

Top-10 looks more like:

1) Finn
2) Leivo
3) Percy
4) Gauthier
5) McKegg
6) Verhaeghe
7) Johnson
8) Granberg
9) D'Amigo
10) Brown

11) Abbott
12) Broll
13) Carrick
14) Sparks
15) Biggs
16) MacWilliam
17) Nilsson
18) Gibson
19) Loov
20) Knodel

and of course, all these lists seem to change their prospects criteria every year. Not sure what their criteria is but I hope at least it's consistent, because all of these guys could still be considered prospects under other system's criteria:

Holzer (25) 24gms
Brennan (24) 40gms
Ashton (22) 45gms
Rielly (19) 55gms
Holland (22) 62gms

MindzEye
03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
That's all these lists ever really come down to is their definition of a prospect. Because yeah, if Rielly counts, even with the other kids that would qualify (Seth Jones, etc), Rielly is top 5 on that list, and it would be hard to keep Holland out of the top 30.

zeke
03-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Looking over that list, it's just plain hilarious that Finn didn't make that top-75 list. He's been far, far better than at least half the names on that list. Good to see they've got an early start on the Sens love, though - Lazar at #14 is boggling.

and let's take a look at some of the guys on their master top-50 there in terms of games played:

Miller 54gms
Baertschi 51gms
Erixon 51gms
Vatanen 49gms
Grigorenko 43gms
Spooner 26gms
Sheahan 25gms
Jurco 24gms
Oleksiak 23gms
Strome 21gms
Tinordi 20gms
Ristolainen 19gms
Forsberg 17gms
Reinhart 17gms
Matteau 17gms
Allen 15gms
Dumba 13gms
Jaskin 11gms
Rakell 11gms
Pearson 11gms
Petrovic 11gms
Zadorov 7gms
Dumoulin 6gms
Laughton 5gms
Sisons 4gms
Ouellet 3gms
Campbell 1gms

hilarious. Apparently the cut off for prospect status must be exactly 55gms, which Rielly just passed the day before they published this list.

JackBurton
03-08-2014, 02:02 AM
If we were an "Old Team", I'd be more concerned. We are the NHL's 4t youngest team. Lots of time to sock up on prospects.

GGpX
03-08-2014, 09:05 AM

IrishWolfman was very high on him. I remember because I had a discussion or two with him about the two Gibson goalies from the draft (John Gibson & Christopher Gibson).

GGpX
03-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Also, I disagree with Montreal being 7th. Should be middle of the pack because they don't have a lot of high end prospects. They have only one top-6 forward depth in the AHL right now in Andrighetto, but they have two solid D prospects in Beaulieu/Pateryn who should arguably both be in the NHL this year. Surprised they didn't include Beaulieu & Pateryn on the list.

7th. MTL - De La Rose (26th)/ Fucale (33rd)/Tinordi (36th)/McCarron/Lehkonen/Collberg (Traded to Isle)/ Hudon/Andrighetto/Reway/Bozon

De La Rose is a looking like a pretty good prospect, but I don't think he's a top-6 forward on a good team. Reminds me a little bit of Kulemin, actually.

Fucale, I'm not sold on. A lot of people seem to be judging him more on the fact that he wins a lot over his actual play. Granted, I haven't watched him play a lot, but when I have, I've remained unconvinced.

Tinordi, bottom pairing d-man. Maybe a #4. But boy oh boy does he have dem intangibles!!!

McCarron, would be surprised he makes it in the NHL. Bust. Hugh Jessiman 2.0.

Lehkonen, top-6 potential but he's on the small side. Will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NHL.

Hudon/Andrighetto/Reway, can all be described the same way. Highly skilled players who are all small. Small on the smallest team in the NHL. Hudon already seems to be having back issues, which is problematic. Andrighetto has been our best forward in Hamilton & Reway has some magical hands but his pro potential remains to be seen.

Tim Bozon, he's actually our only prospect who has top-6 potential and is kinda big-ish (6'1 190ish) and go figure, he's in the hospital fighting for his life.

hockeylover
03-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Also, I disagree with Montreal being 7th. Should be middle of the pack because they don't have a lot of high end prospects

Found out a little more about the prospect criteria.

The rankings of the teams include all players 21 and under. Each team's top 10 includes prospects who have played less than 55 NHL games.

So for the Habs they're including Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Beaulieu.

For the Leafs only Rielly.

GGpX
03-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Huh. Including players under 21.

Then yeah, sure, I guess.

hockeylover
03-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, wait a second. Why ISN'T Beaulieu on your prospect list?

He's not at 55+ NHL games.

Wayward DP
03-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Also, I disagree with Montreal being 7th. Should be middle of the pack because they don't have a lot of high end prospects. They have only one top-6 forward depth in the AHL right now in Andrighetto, but they have two solid D prospects in Beaulieu/Pateryn who should arguably both be in the NHL this year. Surprised they didn't include Beaulieu & Pateryn on the list.

De La Rose is a looking like a pretty good prospect, but I don't think he's a top-6 forward on a good team. Reminds me a little bit of Kulemin, actually.

Fucale, I'm not sold on. A lot of people seem to be judging him more on the fact that he wins a lot over his actual play. Granted, I haven't watched him play a lot, but when I have, I've remained unconvinced.

Tinordi, bottom pairing d-man. Maybe a #4. But boy oh boy does he have dem intangibles!!!

McCarron, would be surprised he makes it in the NHL. Bust. Hugh Jessiman 2.0.

Lehkonen, top-6 potential but he's on the small side. Will be interesting to see how his game translates to the NHL.

Hudon/Andrighetto/Reway, can all be described the same way. Highly skilled players who are all small. Small on the smallest team in the NHL. Hudon already seems to be having back issues, which is problematic. Andrighetto has been our best forward in Hamilton & Reway has some magical hands but his pro potential remains to be seen.

Tim Bozon, he's actually our only prospect who has top-6 potential and is kinda big-ish (6'1 190ish) and go figure, he's in the hospital fighting for his life.

I've been in Halifax for the past couple years so I've seen Fucale play a decent amount, and I must say I've been very impressed. Of course, this is entirely the 'eye test', but he's very steady and reliable, and when I have seen him let in bad goals it's rarely of the back-breaking poorly timed variety.

Of course last year's tough to judge him on because the Mooseheads were so dominant, but he more than held his own when he was called upon.

Big, athletic, pretty calm in his crease. And yeah, just wins.

Habsy
03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
I feel confident that Fucale will eventually become an NHL goalie. With Price in Montreal they can take their time with his development too.