• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OHL Forward Terry Trafford Found Dead

Unfortunately there does not appear to be a happy ending to this story.

Michigan State Police have found an unidentified male body inside a vehicle matching the one driven by missing junior hockey player Terry Trafford, according to a report out of Flint, Michigan.

The vehicle, with a body inside, was found in a Walmart parking lot in Saginaw Township, according to WJRT-TV in Flint. The body has not been identified but Michigan State Police Lt. Brian Cole told Yahoo! Sports it is that of a “young man.”

Global News Toronto tweeted that Trafford’s father confirmed the body of his son had been found.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2014/03/11/21527696.html

Yeah I don't see how being a hockey player would make you immune to depression/mental illness.

Water is wet. No right thinking person kills himself unless it kill yourself or die another way like jumping out of a burning building or a sinking boat etc.

From everything I've read most people who attempt suicide and survive never attempt it again. It's a temporary state of desperation that, if they can get through it somehow, they'll probably be okay with enough support and therapy. But in the moment the person feels like there is no other way out.

I saw a really good documentary about people who've committed suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. They interviewed one of the few people who actually survived (although he was crippled) He said that the second he jumped he realized that all the problems that had caused him to do this seemed instantly fixable...if only he hadn't jumped off this damned bridge!

Trafford's girlfriend says he was suspended from the team for partying on a road trip. Maybe he felt as though his career in hockey was over. Who knows? But in the moment and with no one around to help him he did what he did.

I have heard of lots of suicide attempts as crys for help....so I am not sure how that fits in with people only attempting it once.

It's probably tough to do a really good study on it. Some people "attempt" suicide in a way that is unlikely to actually kill them. Those I assume are "cries for help."

People who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge are actually attempting suicide. Maybe there's a difference there?

I personally knew at least 8-10 people who have killed themselves, including my (at the time) girlfriend's brother. Such is life in an isolated northern BC town with not much to do but partying and fighting. It's just such a devastating thing to family and friends.

It's probably tough to do a really good study on it. Some people "attempt" suicide in a way that is unlikely to actually kill them. Those I assume are "cries for help."

People who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge are actually attempting suicide. Maybe there's a difference there?

I personally knew at least 8-10 people who have killed themselves, including my (at the time) girlfriend's brother. Such is life in an isolated northern BC town with not much to do but partying and fighting. It's just such a devastating thing to family and friends.

Lost a couple of "friends" in 2012.

My hometown has the train bridge which acts as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lethbridge_High_Level_Bridge-apr15d.jpg

Most of the people I know have either shot themselves in the head or hung themselves. Those are not cries for help, that's a real suicide attempt.

I know of two.

A friend in high school... i played cards with him every day and we bet nothing... like a dollar or fifty cents a day or something... we even played the day he hung himself. Seemed normal, laughing, joking that day everything. He was like 17 at the time. Popular guy, football team, etc... Parents found him hanging in his closet on a Friday night. He had a big fight with his parents earlier in the day and they had grounded him and he couldn't go to his girlfriends house.

My cousin's wife found her grandfather hanging in the back yard when she came home from school one day. She was in high school and dating my cousin at the time.

Those are the two I know of that were successful.

A few attempts of kids of clients i know of as well, but they always seemed more the cry for attention type than real attempts at suicide. Neither was close to successful and neither has tried a second time as far as I know.

Holy crap Patrol.

I don't know anyone who has offed him/herself and you know 8-10? Damn

Yeah the town I am from has an extremely high suicide rate.

When I was about 15 I was babysitting for a couple. The guy was like 21 and they got into a fight, he was drunk and went off and hanged himself.
When I was around 23 or so my (now ex) girlfriend's brother shot himself in the head and I actually had to break the news to my girlfriend... probably the toughest thing I've ever done.
A guy who used to party with us all the time in my early 20s ended up shooting himself in the head too.
A very close family friend who's mom and dad were my godparents hanged himself about a year or so ago at like 40 years old
My cousin's grandfather who I knew as well as most of my extended family since they were at every family gathering killed himself when he was like 70 years old. (in Winnipeg not Mackenzie)
Then I know at least 5 or more other guys who I wasn't necessarily friends with but I knew from school or just around town who had killed themselves.

I loved Mackenzie but a lot of people there got into drugs and just couldn't see a way out I guess.

156881_10150108999543013_6143241_n.jpg

Girl on the right (bride's left) killed herself a few months after this picture. Slit her wrists and throat in a locked bathroom with a friend trying to break the door down to get in. Was a classic tale of she seemed to be doing so well. The girl did have issues with drugs but was taking nursing and seemed to be turning her life around. Few months later she was arrested for stealing a DVD then killed herself. Im guessing drugs played a large role.

Another friend shortly after that did the train bridge thing.

My wife has had a rough go though with unexpected deaths....most of this happened within a 6 month period.

- Her friend's mom fell and hit her had getting into the hot tub....died. Her 14 year old son found her
- Her cousin (who is basically her brother) had a stroke at 15 and though he lived he has lots of issues
- Her mentor (former teacher and volleyball coach) died a week after giving birth
- The friend above killed herself
- Shortly after or before that the train bridge friend...somebody I knew more than her but still
- Her dad died of a heart attack at 63
- Another friends dad died - 58 - was very weird - he basically gave up on life after his dad died

I might be forgetting a few things. But not a single one of these deaths (or the stroke) were what you would call expected.

Some calm times after all that...then about a year ago her mom found cancer....she died a few months ago....but tried to kill herself at least 3 times before ... 62 years old.

Wow, that's just brutal. Hope everything is getting better for you guys worm. I'm not sure I could handle all that in such a short period very well.

Wow, that's just brutal. Hope everything is getting better for you guys worm. I'm not sure I could handle all that in such a short period very well.

Her dad was by far the hardest.

But an only child and no parents at age 27. I do not even want to imagine what that would be like.

I was shocked when some FIers talk about how young they were when the lost a parent. It is crazy.

But an only child and no parents at age 27. I do not even want to imagine what that would be like.

I was shocked when some FIers talk about how young they were when the lost a parent. It is crazy.

Yeah I am extremely fortunate to still have both parent (and both step parents) at 38 years old. Same with my wife, she still has both parents.

It was scary a few years back when my mom had lung cancer and had a lung removed, but she appears to be in excellent health now.

I was 31 when my dad died.

Yeah I am extremely fortunate to still have both parent (and both step parents) at 38 years old. Same with my wife, she still has both parents.

It was scary a few years back when my mom had lung cancer and had a lung removed, but she appears to be in excellent health now.

I remember that. Glad to hear she is doing great.

Back