PDA

View Full Version : Strombo the new host of HNIC

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
03-10-2014, 02:06 AM
Talk show host George Stroumboulopoulos may be the next face of Hockey Night in Canada.

Bob McKenzie of TSN tweeted Sunday night that there is a good chance the CBC television personality will be named the primary host of NHL coverage on Sportsnet when Rogers Communications Inc. takes over next season.

McKenzie also hinted that Coach’s Corner will be getting a two-year contract extension, although long-time host Ron MacLean may no longer be as deeply involved.

A spokesperson for Sportsnet declined to confirm Stroumboulopoulos is the new host.

McKenzie made no direct mention of commentator Don Cherry, who has popularized Coach’s Corner since first appearing on it in 1980.

Sportsnet president Scott Moore has suggested both Cherry and MacLean will still have a home on the new network.

“I’m a big fan of both,” said Moore, a former Hockey Night producer himself, last month. “They’re currently employed by the CBC. We’ve had some conversations, it’s a little early. We will be in a position to announce all our hockey commentators by early May. You can expect by end of April we’d have people under contract.”

Stroumboulopoulos has hosted the talk show George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight (previously known as The Hour) on CBC for 10 years. He also has a Sunday-night music show on CBC Radio 2, The Strombo Show.

Last summer he had a one-season stint as the host of Stroumboulopoulos on CNN, which struggled to attract viewers and was not renewed for a second season.

Rogers Sportsnet took control of Hockey Night and all national NHL broadcast rights in a 12-year, $5.2-billion deal last fall.

Under the terms of the major agreement, the Saturday night institution will remain on CBC for at least the next four years.

Rogers has already announced a number of innovations it will roll out when it takes over the hockey coverage in September, including a new Hometown Hockey segment, more social media integration and potentially new cameras strung above the ice surface to provide new angles on the action.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/03/09/george_stroumboulopoulos_to_host_hockey_night_in_c anada_report.html

Ron Maclean will still be there but in a reduced role (probably hosting coaches corner with Grapes).

Coaches Corner extended for two years.

Do not like this one bit.

voyager
03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Less cherry is always good

SundinsTooth
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Hope they stay far away from Hughson and Healy.

Metalleaf
03-10-2014, 09:26 AM

More hughson and Healy you say? Alright!

leafman101
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Cherry is literally the only intermission show I watch on any channel. It should be all Cherry not less.

UWHabs
03-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Cherry's an arrogant loudmouth, but he's entertaining.

I like Strombo - not sure how he'll do as host. I do like that he's a huge Habs fan, though.

CaptainBolduke
03-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Cherry is funny to watch because he's so stupid and rediculous. Poeple will always like that.

I don't mind Stroum, he might be OK.

LeafGm
03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Cherry is literally the only intermission show I watch on any channel. It should be all Cherry not less.
Yeah, this. I mean, seriously people, would you really want another installment of the Satellite Hotstove in the first intermission instead? With Elliott Friedman, Kevin Weekes and PJ Stock for some reason badly re-enacting plays from the game in studio while wearing their suits?

As for Strombo, I don't like the move. Both because he's literally the worst kind of human being (a Hab fan born and raised in Toronto), and because since the broadcast Rogers has put together on Sportsnet over the years has consistently been the worst Leaf broadcasts on TV (outside of LeafsTV), I'm pretty much going to assume that they're going to make a huge mess out of their attempt to run HNIC, until they prove me wrong.

I also don't know why they'd put Ron MacLean out to pasture. Seems like change just for the sake of change.

corksens
03-10-2014, 09:51 AM
A pompous, arrogant, artsy-type taking over HNIC? Sounds like something Rogers would do.

Next thing we know this fruit will replace Grapes.

http://www.timescolonist.com/polopoly_fs/1.113416.1366298342!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_563/top-jian-ghomeshi-jpg.jpg

leafman101
03-10-2014, 09:56 AM
They have to find replacements for Maclean/Cherry eventually. As sad as it is.

Strombo could be good if he knows anything about hockey.

Leafyblue
03-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Coaches Corner..with Jian Ghomeshi and Billy Bob Thornton.

LeafGm
03-10-2014, 09:58 AM
They have to find replacements for Maclean/Cherry eventually. As sad as it is.

Strombo could be good if he knows anything about hockey.
Sure, they will, but it seems odd that they've replaced the 53 year-old before they've replaced the 80 year-old.

blkngldbabe
03-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Do we know that Strombo doesn't know hockey?

voyager
03-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm eagerly anticipating the day when cherry dies. The fact that he's held up as a national icon is almost offensive as tim hortons doing the same.

Habsy
03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Cherry is funny to watch because he's so stupid and rediculous. Poeple will always like that.

I don't mind Stroum, he might be OK.

Calling someone stupid while misspelling ridiculous is quite ironic. Yes, you've misspelled ridiculous before.

JackBurton
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
I think he's a great choice.

Hoss
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Stromboli cut his teeth at the fan590 years ago. He apparently started as an intern then hosted a late night show. Apparently he and Jeff marek started together

Aberdeen
03-10-2014, 11:01 AM
HNIC should have Tim and Sid do an intermission.

worm
03-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Sure, they will, but it seems odd that they've replaced the 53 year-old before they've replaced the 80 year-old.

Im guessing Ron will still do the same stuff for CBC and George for Sportsnet.

Doubt Ron sees much reduction.

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm eagerly anticipating the day when cherry dies. The fact that he's held up as a national icon is almost offensive as tim hortons doing the same.

You are one sick puppy for wanting someone dead, really time to have your head examined. Sure Cherry can be over the top and come across extremely ignorant at times but he doesn't deserve to die just because he is offensive at times, btw Tim Hortons is a national icon always has been and always will be, I agree though Cherry isn't an icon though.

SundinsTooth
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Tim Hortons is a national icon? The player, or the shitty coffee?

rated
03-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Keep Ron, Cherry and Elliot Friendman and fire everyone else in CBC.

He's just as much of a hockey freak/fan as you and me ?

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 11:49 AM

The franchise, not the player.

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 11:58 AM
The player is an icon to me ya bastard!

Bleedsblue&white
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Hmmm

As for Strombo, I don't like the move.... he's literally the worst kind of human being (a Hab fan born and raised in Toronto),

worm
03-10-2014, 11:59 AM

the poster

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:02 PM

As long as Craig Simpson and Hughson get the boot or a significantly reduced role I am happy.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Coaches Corner..with Jian Ghomeshi and Billy Bob Thornton.

Literally laughed in real-life.

That was maybe the most awkward interview I've ever seen conducted anywhere. Props to Ghomesi for handling the circumstances as well as he did.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Calling someone stupid while misspelling ridiculous is quite ironic. Yes, you've misspelled ridiculous before.

But surely a PhD. and status as a public servant means his spelling is infallible? And there's no chance that someone who bench presses so much could misspell such a simple word.

Bleedsblue&white
03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I'd like to see a regional poll and find out who wants who where (lol) with HNIC. Is it strictly by Hockey team or more an East-West thing?

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Horton the player certainly qualifies as a Leafs icon. Only Salming has been a greater defenceman in the history of the franchise.

JackBurton
03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
That Tim Horton's coffee is indeed horrific. What do they put in it to make so many Canadians addicted?

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
That Tim Horton's coffee is indeed horrific. What do they put in it to make so many Canadians addicted?

Isn't it a small percentage of nicotine?

JackBurton
03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
And crack apparently.

Mcdonald's coffee destroys Tim Horton's.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
It's kind of strange how in the past few years McDonald's has successfully transitioned itself from being solely a fast food outlet to a reasonably decent "cafe" experience, offering quality coffee (I don't drink coffee but based on popular assent), sandwiches, and non-traditional fast food options.

Wi-fi, televisions, etc.

JackBurton
03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
I even went to Mcdonald's a few week ago on a Sunday and they had a kid filling up everyone's coffee that was sitting there. Even their fruit smoothees are great. Tim Horton's are just Ice and sugar.

zeke
03-10-2014, 12:30 PM
I love how the default setting for everyone seems to be COMPLAIN.

Are we serious here? Are we giing to have an embarassing protest over ron fricken maclean again? Ron the pun nerd?

And who doesn't like strombo?

What is wrong with people?

JackBurton
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Strombo is a hip guy for the younger audiences.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Are we serious here? Are we giing to have an embarassing protest over ron fricken maclean again? Ron the pun nerd?

I walked past Strombo on Queen West one night five years ago. He saw I was looking at him trying to figure out if it was him, came over and said hi.

http://stickerish.com/wp-content/themes/mio/sp-framework/timthumb/timthumb.php?src=http://stickerish.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/TrueStoryBlackTextSS.png&h=500&w=500&zc=2&q=100&a=c&s=&f=&cc=&ct=

Bleedsblue&white
03-10-2014, 12:32 PM

I understand your complaint.

zeke
03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
:incazzato:

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
And yeah I like Ron as much as the next one and he's certainly been one of the key players in the institution that is HNIC every Saturday night, but is he really the type of guy you want to deem irreplaceable?

I'd still take a senile Bob Cole over any of them.

Strombo's a cool guy and he'd bring passion and intelligence to the role. He's young and a great broadcasting host.

voyager
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
You are one sick puppy for wanting someone dead, really time to have your head examined. Sure Cherry can be over the top and come across extremely ignorant at times but he doesn't deserve to die just because he is offensive at times, btw Tim Hortons is a national icon always has been and always will be, I agree though Cherry isn't an icon though.

I didn't think your kind had the ability to comprehend death.

CH1
03-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Can't believe the love for Strombo. Slick and smarmy host who for some reason keeps trying to be funny, even though it's painful to watch. Rogers is where the B team goes to die. From the same minds that brought you Kypreos and Maclean.

So telling that the TSN crew didn't want to jump ship.

CH1
03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Having said that, George might be fine in his new role as glorified scoreboard reader. Was definitely punching above his weight class at the Hour and CNN related bombs.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Stromboli cut his teeth at the fan590 years ago. He apparently started as an intern then hosted a late night show. Apparently he and Jeff marek started together

Heh.

Yet another reason for Marek to kill himself (not that I've suggested he do such a thing on twitter)

Or was that Greg Brady? I forget these things.

voyager
03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Heh.

Yet another reason for Marek to kill himself (not that I've suggested he do such a thing on twitter)

Or was that Greg Brady? I forget these things.

Wouldn't be the first former partner of Strombo to end it....

zeke
03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
smarmy host who for some reason keeps trying to be funny, even though it's painful to watch.

You're talking about ron maclean here, right?

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Can't believe the love for Strombo. Slick and smarmy host who for some reason keeps trying to be funny, even though it's painful to watch. Rogers is where the B team goes to die. From the same minds that brought you Kypreos and Maclean.

So telling that the TSN crew didn't want to jump ship.

TSN will be loading up on regional games, those guys will barely notice a difference. No sense in jumping ship for that clown show.

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 01:03 PM
TSN will be loading up on regional games, those guys will barely notice a difference. No sense in jumping ship for that clown show.

I could be wrong but doesn't TSN have 14 regional Leaf games and 24 Sens games next season? If so yea I don't think any of their main core goes to another station.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
The biggest impediment to quality programming on all of the major hockey networks right now is the ridiculously unnecessary number of washed-up former players who provide anemic level analysis.

Get rid of the P.J. Stocks, Aaron Wards, Jamie McClennans, and Jeff O'Neill's of the world and the level of discourse on the broadcast would improve exponentially. There's simply no reason so many meatheads occupy so much air time that should be given to intelligent hockey people.

Oh and someone needs to kidnap Doug MacLean finally and dump him in the middle of Lake Ontario. Though he's permanently full of hot air so perhaps his natural buoyancy would save him.

zeke
03-10-2014, 01:07 PM
It boggles my mind that people actually care about the talking heads.

CH1
03-10-2014, 01:08 PM
You're talking about ron maclean here, right?

don't worry, I have no love for him either. Ron is basically what happens when a dumb jock spends too much time on wikipedia and wants everyone to know it.

It ultimately doesn't matter to me as I mostly drown out these bozos. I appreciate the rare talking head that does their homework and has something to say.

blkngldbabe
03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I found George to be nice and a fun guy in real
Life. We skated around a bit botheafs Easter seals skates I attended. He waved me over the second year and I sat with him and Bowen. No idea how his commentary would be but in person he seemed like a decent enough guy.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:10 PM
It kind of sucks that that one talking head who admittedly has a tremendous knowledge of hockey history and players (Steve Kouleas) is constantly yelling, squirming, and just generally acting like an eleven year-old boy who has had too many energy drinks.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I found George to be nice and a fun guy in real
Life. We skated around a bit botheafs Easter seals skates I attended. He waved me over the second year and I sat with him and Bowen. No idea how his commentary would be but in person he seemed like a decent enough guy.

Life sucks as an attractive woman eh? Year two would have featured a restraining order for Jonas, but you get to meet Bones.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:11 PM
It kind of sucks that that one talking head who admittedly has a tremendous knowledge of hockey history and players (Steve Kouleas) is constantly yelling, squirming, and just generally acting like an eleven year-old boy who has had too many energy drinks.

What an epic twat that guy is.

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I hate Kouleas so much.

zeke
03-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Bobo is the only one worth listening to, but that's onlynfor non-sensational insider info, not any actual hockey analysis. Some of the coaches are good (but the good ones are back coaching pretty quick) but the ex gms and ex players all suck.

Duthie is a good host i guess. Maybe strombo can match him.

CH1
It boggles my mind that people actually care about the talking heads.

As opposed to caring about more important things like the fractions in real standings? or someone's adjusted Corsi number? It's all rather meaningless -- it's just a bunch of stuff that make you happy or not. For about 8 seconds.

JaysCyYoung
What an epic twat that guy is.

He's irritating as hell, but he does know his hockey stats and history, so I respect that.

The douchebag factor ruins any credibility that he might otherwise have though. He just never shuts up on the air.

And a little tidbit regarding Kouleas: Irish, myself, and a bunch of friends were at Gretzky's back in 2010 for the gold medal junior game of Canada against the United States. Kouleas showed up and the entire time he was getting mercilessly heckled by this table of rather rough looking working-class guys in plaid. I legitimately thought he was going to cry by the end of it the ribbing was so intense.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Bobo is the only one worth listening to, but that's onlynfor non-sensational insider info, not any actual hockey analysis. Some of the coaches are good (but the good ones are back coaching pretty quick) but the ex gms and ex players all suck.

Duthie is a good host i guess. Maybe strombo can match him.

Torts was awesome on TSN with his candid remarks and honesty during his unemployed period as a coach. Too bad he had to get hired again so quickly.

Maurice was surprisingly insightful too. But then again he has always been adept at handling media relations and the press aspect of the job, so the fact that he was a natural analyst wasn't surprising.

rated
03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Daren Millard and Jeff Marek were also announced as “cornerstones” of Rogers’ coverage in a news release issued Monday.

Cherry and MacLean will continue to host “Coach’s Corner” every Saturday.

http://www.am980.ca/2014/03/10/hockey-night-in-canada/

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Torts was awesome with his candid remarks and honesty during his unemployed period as a coach. Too bad he had to get hired again so quickly.

The good news is he'll shortly be unemployed again!

CH1
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
I like Duthie as a host. Comes off as natural.

He makes most of his competition in Canada sound like they're trying too hard.

A guy like Kouleas is especially grating. He's why they invented the mute button.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
is Darren Millard even a cornerstone of the Millard family? This guy is a cornerstone of HNIC?

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
A guy like Kouleas is especially grating. He's why they invented being drawn and quartered

fyp

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Millard is decidedly bland and inoffensive. He's about as vanilla as they come so I have no strong opinion on the guy one way or the other.

Broadcasting's answer to Stephen Harper basically.

zeke
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
As opposed to caring about more important things like the fractions in real standings? or someone's adjusted Corsi number? It's all rather meaningless -- it's just a bunch of stuff that make you happy or not. For about 8 seconds.

The stats are real things that the players produce. They actually tell you real things about performance,

The talking heads spout nothing but whatever BS they think will get the most attention.

CH1
03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
is Darren Millard even a cornerstone of the Millard family? This guy is a cornerstone of HNIC?

that press release is funny...as hackneyed as the talent they hired. PR writers who use the terms "dream team" and "cornerstone" should be shot.

Leafyblue
03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I'd like to see Kathryn Humphreys on HNIC. Somebody with a personality would do wonders for the broadcast.

corksens
03-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Isn't there any good US talent? I don't care where the guy is from just be entertaining, minimize the puns and don't have a face for the radio.

MyNameIsJonas
03-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Kouleas + Button is the worst tandem host for anything ever.

rated
03-10-2014, 01:26 PM
All I truly care about is who is broadcasting the games. That will determine my anger level and and if I mute the TV or not. I could not care soo much about the rest as Ron MacLean and all that other crap is hardly why I watch HNIC anymore.

If I want my intermission hockey talk I go here lol

JaysCyYoung
Kouleas + Button is the worst tandem host for anything ever.

What exactly is it about Craig Button that inspires such blind rage within you? :)

CH1
The stats are real things that the players produce. They actually tell you real things about performance,

The talking heads spout nothing but whatever BS they think will get the most attention.

I hear ya, but you (or others) saying your mind is boggled that people care about subject xyz or abc is disingenuous. The internet produces a trillion bytes of chatter every day, most of it useless. Just stuff that helps us procrastinate. In terms of lasting value, we all know most of it is worthless. We don't need to be reminded.

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see Kathryn Humphrey's naked on my couch.

fyp.

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Kouleas and Ludzik were worse then the ebola virus.

MyNameIsJonas
03-10-2014, 01:29 PM
What exactly is it about Craig Button that inspires such blind rage within you? :)

Everything he says is incorrect, obvious or retarded.

MyNameIsJonas
03-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Kouleas and Ludzik were worst then the ebola virus.

**** you...i had forgot Ludzik was a thing.

zeke
03-10-2014, 01:30 PM
True, but i'll still keep trying to get you guys to just stop watching the talking heads.

Don't tune in until puckdrop, and change the channel in intermission. You'll save yourself so much grief.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:31 PM
True, but i'll still keep trying to get you guys to just stop watching the talking heads.

Don't tune in until puckdrop, and change the channel in intermission. You'll save yourself so much grief.

The only intermission I usually watch is Coach's Corner, but occasionally curiosity gets the best of us and I end up in a blind rage due to the mediots.

We bring this on ourselves.

Blueman
03-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Damn, my first thought on this thread was that it was Strombone being the new host

CH1
03-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Kathryn Humphreys is quite good. I worked with her for a bit a long time ago and she was constantly being wooed by big US broadcasters but she preferred to stay closer to home. Women broadcasters who actually know their sports are in short supply. I imagine she'll be visible in the expanded Sportsnet hockey package.

CH1
03-10-2014, 01:34 PM

I'm already there. I would tune them out completely if cable offered split tracks (voice on 1 track, game sounds on track 2)

Even still I often blare loud music while watching the game.

number17
03-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I PVR games and only watch Coach's corner for all intermission shows.

I watch CC only because Cherry is entertaining ... you gotta take what he says with a large grain of salt but he IS a Canadian icon. The day he's gone we're all gonna miss him.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:42 PM

I come online during intermissions to avoid listening to them

FI >>>> Intermission dummies

I get twitter updates on here, quality analysis of what's going on, mixed in with the type of passionate fan over reactions that I enjoy.

leafman101
03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Cherry is the only hockey expert on tv that actually ever analyzes hockey.

rated
03-10-2014, 01:44 PM

This is exactly what I do. Intermission is drink/get ****ed time and/or come to forumice and wait for the puck to drop. I haven't watched coaches corner or the hot stove report in months.

voyager
03-10-2014, 01:44 PM
I PVR games and only watch Coach's corner for all intermission shows.

I watch CC only because Cherry is entertaining ... you gotta take what he says with a large grain of salt but he IS a Canadian icon. The day he's gone we're all gonna miss him.

He's a loud mouth moron who panders to the lowest common denominator. He is exactly the type of person who the rob ford supporters love. In essence, he is what is wrong with Canadian society.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Damn, my first thought on this thread was that it was Strombone being the new host

He could just twitter his lines and I'd watch

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Cherry is the only hockey expert on tv that actually ever analyzes hockey.

This. For all the bluster and bullshit, he's actually a pretty astute observer of the game itself. Which would make sense, considering the fact that he did win a Jack Adams.

JaysCyYoung
03-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Cherry was one poor line change away from being a Stanley Cup-winning coach and entrenching the 1970s Bruins as a legitimate dynasty.

He may be a bit of a crotchety old bastard and alienate some viewers with his honesty and no-holds barred bluster, but he has tremendous hockey knowledge, he cares passionately about keeping young players safe, and he loves Canada and is a huge supporter of our military and police.

The guy is the genuine article.

LeafOfFaith
03-10-2014, 01:53 PM

For reasons of nostalgia alone and not fixing something that ain't broke, I don't want to see MacLean switched out for this poser.

That sucks. Now I'm gonna tune out for everything other than the action on the ice.

Change for the sake of change sucks.

leafman101
03-10-2014, 01:54 PM
He is THE hockey expert.

No one in the history of the sport has had as much of an understanding of the game and been able to convey that understanding to the public in a way they can understand it.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
He is THE hockey expert.

No one in the history of the sport has had as much of an understanding of the game and been able to convey that understanding to the public in a way they can understand it.

Very easy to see it once you get past the rampant flag waving canadiana, and the semi intentional mispronouncing of names. Every time the guy breaks down a hockey play, he's 100% bang on.

da_next_kid
03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
**** Rogers, seriously.

worm
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Very rare that I ever listen to pre/post/intermission. If I do it isnt on purpose...it is because the remote is on the coffee table and im not about to put in the effort it takes to reach for it.

worm
03-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I come online during intermissions to avoid listening to them

FI >>>> Intermission dummies

I get twitter updates on here, quality analysis of what's going on, mixed in with the type of passionate fan over reactions that I enjoy.

ya....with twitter, FI, making supper, flipping channels, bathroom breaks, texting, sexting, google talk, etc
there is little time to listen to them...even if the TV is still on during the breaks

worm
03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Very easy to see it once you get past the rampant flag waving canadiana, and the semi intentional mispronouncing of names. Every time the guy breaks down a hockey play, he's 100% bang on.

About 4% of the time he does this though. Even then...it is usually a PeeAir of overstating a basic hockey play.

CH1
03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Very rare that I ever listen to pre/post/intermission. If I do it isnt on purpose...it is because the remote is on the coffee table and im not about to put in the effort it takes to reach for it.

True dat, though the one time that happened to me last year, I inadvertently caught a solid report from Elliot Friedman about the sorry state of most KHL teams.

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
**** Rogers, seriously.

Its a double edged sword for me, on one hand I can't stand Rogers but on the other they are going to be airing the majority of Leaf games next season so I won't be able to see them due to being with Cogeco, looks like the only Leaf games I'll see next year will be on CBC.

Leafyblue
03-10-2014, 05:06 PM
You can't get TSN and Sportsnet on Cogeco?

Wayward DP
03-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm late to the party, but what ME, zeke, and leafman said sums it up pretty well.

Cherry's the only talking head worth watching, otherwise there's this great thing called the internet during intermission, or one of my personal favourites, 'spliffermission'

Metalleaf
03-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Its a double edged sword for me, on one hand I can't stand Rogers but on the other they are going to be airing the majority of Leaf games next season so I won't be able to see them due to being with Cogeco, looks like the only Leaf games I'll see next year will be on CBC.

You have a computer....with an access to stream sites. Embrace technology.

Preston_Mizzi
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
**** all of you for bashing Jeff O'Neill. You guys just take everything he says way too seriously. He's a radio personality. He's a funny meat head ex hockey player that speaks his mind and is entertaining. If he says something slightly negative towards a Leaf, who cares? Some of you guys freak out way too much. He's not a very smart person and talks like a lot of my buddies who are hockey players. I don't listen to these guys for analysis or information. It's all about entertainment. I'd rather listen to him over some hockey nerd who discusses the ins and outs of systems in a hockey game. I can figure out that Kessel is an elite player all by myself. I don't need an analyst to tell me.

voyager
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Guess that knocks Kingston out of the running for the best city ever

TimHorton
03-10-2014, 06:25 PM
**** all of you for bashing Jeff O'Neill. You guys just take everything he says way too seriously. He's a radio personality. He's a funny meat head ex hockey player that speaks his mind and is entertaining. If he says something slightly negative towards a Leaf, who cares? Some of you guys freak out way too much. He's not a very smart person and talks like a lot of my buddies who are hockey players. I don't listen to these guys for analysis or information. It's all about entertainment. I'd rather listen to him over some hockey nerd who discusses the ins and outs of systems in a hockey game. I can figure out that Kessel is an elite player all by myself. I don't need an analyst to tell me

Hi Jeff!

Montana
03-10-2014, 06:32 PM
**** all of you for bashing Jeff O'Neill. You guys just take everything he says way too seriously. He's a radio personality. He's a funny meat head ex hockey player that speaks his mind and is entertaining. If he says something slightly negative towards a Leaf, who cares? Some of you guys freak out way too much. He's not a very smart person and talks like a lot of my buddies who are hockey players. I don't listen to these guys for analysis or information. It's all about entertainment. I'd rather listen to him over some hockey nerd who discusses the ins and outs of systems in a hockey game. I can figure out that Kessel is an elite player all by myself. I don't need an analyst to tell me.

...says the guy freaking out about people bad mouthing Jeff O'Neil, of all people.

hockeylover
03-10-2014, 06:35 PM

I guess this is why I don't find him particularly entertaining.

MindzEye
03-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Guess that knocks Kingston out of the running for the best city ever

p'shaw

Kingston >> Paris

Leafin'
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I like Ron and Don hosting Coaches Corner. Wouldn't change that. Barely watch that, but if i do its mostly for the laughs.

I don't watch the rest. Stock, Weekes, Friedman are trash.

Any serious analysis i may look for, i usually find here. If not, i post a question and within 20 mins one of you pucknerds has an answer for me.

Strombo for some reason i have never liked much. All the way back to his MUCH days. Nothing against him, but nothing he says overly interests me.

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
You can't get TSN and Sportsnet on Cogeco?

I get TSN, used to get SNE but they took it off the programming.

Pronger84
03-10-2014, 07:00 PM
You have a computer....with an access to stream sites. Embrace technology.

Yea... I think I'll have to do that next season lol.

Preston_Mizzi
03-10-2014, 08:01 PM
...says the guy freaking out about people bad mouthing Jeff O'Neil, of all people.
poor wittle baby doesn't like the words used by a particular human being. grow a set.

Montana
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Huh?

blacksheep
03-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't see a reason to replace McLean. Although they didn't say so, I bet Cherry and him will both be gone next. If they want to make a good move, put Bowen on the TV broadcasts in place of the fvcknut they have there now.

CH1
03-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Huh?

He said you're too sensitive to appreciate Jeff O'Neil's brash and politically incorrect analysis.

ps: i've never heard O'Neil's musings

Bleedsblue&white
03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
I think it's silly to believe we wouldn't want to listen to good hockey discussion wherever it's available. We like hockey, and personally speaking, when the Leafs are winning I want to be able to listen to hockey people discuss my team.
It's unfortunate that we don't get that very often, it's sad that the Doug Macleans of the world attract ratings (how...for godsakes, how?),but that's how it works.

It is hard though, to find good hockey people that can be subjective and want to make a living in media.

zeke
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
The people on this forum are smarter AND do more research than the vast majority of talking heads.

leafman101
03-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Freidman is actually really good. He is the only guy with actual inside information that isn't just BS rumour mongering to drive ratings. In his 30 thoughts articles you actually learn things.

Montana
03-10-2014, 08:56 PM
He said you're too sensitive to appreciate Jeff O'Neil's brash and politically incorrect analysis.

ps: i've never heard O'Neil's musings

Poor dumb Preston......I haven't listened to any mainstream sports shows/talking heads in half a decade....I tuned that sh*t out eons ago.

It is adorable that he's such a fanboy as to get bent out of shape over others bad-mouthing his boy tho...

CH1
03-10-2014, 10:19 PM
The people on this forum are smarter AND do more research than the vast majority of talking heads.

And for free.

Passion >> Clock-watching and Sucking Up to your Boss.

Teeds_Little_Chicken
03-11-2014, 01:43 AM

Only totally pussified femme dudes like yourself dislike Cherry. Unless you are a woman, in which case, you're a ****.

blacksheep
03-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Welcome back, Caitlin.

Teeds_Little_Chicken
03-11-2014, 01:44 AM
He's a loud mouth moron who panders to the lowest common denominator. He is exactly the type of person who the rob ford supporters love. In essence, he is what is wrong with Canadian society.

What would be good for Canadian society would be if more people like you overdosed.

MindzEye
03-11-2014, 01:45 AM
I'm not convinced that this isn't a parody account...

voyager
03-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I laughed.

Not sure who it is but it made me laugh.

JackBurton
03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Jeff Marek puts me to sleep. Holy **** that guy is boring. He was more exciting when he would talk about wraslin'.

Millard is another bore. He's the Ryan Seacrest of hockey.

I echo Kathryn Humphries. She's hot and funny and entertaining.

worm
03-11-2014, 11:57 AM
the basic problem with hockey media is that they all want to be buddy buddy with the players to get the inside information

mbow30
03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
not sure if it has been mentioned, but strombo got his start in sports media (he did updates on the fan), and it isn't as if maclean was an expert when he was first handed the gig.

with that said, i'm not sure strombo is host material. he's a solid interviewer and he talks fast enough to do 30 second sports updates on the radio. but the position they're giving him has no real space for him to put the skills that make him a good tv personality to use, and I think he might talk too quickly to make much of a host.

blacksheep
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM

hockeylover
03-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Did someone just say Montana's too sensitive? Heh.

TheCountofMonteCristo
03-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Any truth to the rumour Strombo will wear his Canadiens' jersey the first night?

dingledorf
03-11-2014, 08:10 PM

Could not agree more. Cherry anticpates the wants and desires of those hiring him, ie: warmongering and Tim Hortons to date does not serve Honey or even brown sugar with their coffee, thus highlighting them as something sub third world country in terms of advancement.

Bleedsblue&white
03-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Oh my.

MindzEye
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Now that, that reminded me of Teeds. It he had all capped even a single word, I'd be sold.

Blueman
03-15-2014, 02:31 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/videos/clips-season-21/strombos-hockey-night-in-canada