• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GMs discussing changes to OT and shootouts

blacksheep

link
Through Saturday, 121 of 962 games this season have gone to a shootout (12.57 per cent). Each team has participated in at least four, while the Washington Capitals lead the league with 15 of them through 64 games.

A handful of general managers said in recent weeks that there was an appetite to reduce the number of shootouts by making some changes to overtime. Detroit GM Ken Holland has long sought adding time or a three-on-three element to overtime, and it has come time that Don Maloney of the Phoenix Coyotes figures more members of the group are "open-minded to reviewing it and discussing it."

"In the past, it was generally touched on but deferred," Maloney said. "And I think as you go on with the parity of the league, I think we all have to take a harder look."

Jim Rutherford of the Carolina Hurricanes usually sits near Holland at these meetings and is in favour of his proposals to change overtime. After plenty of talk over the years, perhaps more will get on board.

"I think we're heading that way," Rutherford said. "It's been talked about a long time, this is not something new. I don't know how many minutes it'll end up being -- the total minutes in overtime. That's really where the big discussion will come. But I think the fact that this has been discussed for a few years now, I think it's gaining some momentum going into this meeting."

What that momentum will turn into remains to be seen. Rutherford and Holland would like five minutes of the already-established four-on-four followed by five minutes of three-on-three, while Doug Armstrong of the St. Louis Blues voiced support for simply making four-on-four overtime longer.
Interesting that they no longer like the shootout idea.
I don't like the current setup either. There shouldn't be a shootout in a regular season game. One, single OT period, and if nobody scores, each walk away with a point.
In the playoffs, multiple OTs. Max of three - then a shootout if necessary. That's what I'd prefer.

10 min 4 on 4 periods until it is over... 2 pts for a win 0 for a loss.

No loser points, no shootouts and no ties

Here's what I think

1. OT (4 on 4)- 10 mins
2. If nobody scores in OT then both teams get a tie
3. Shootout, which is just for the fans, it doesn't count towards any points for either team.

10 min 4 on 4 periods until it is over... 2 pts for a win 0 for a loss.

No loser points, no shootouts and no ties

Forgot to mention, I don't like the "loser points" either. But I disagree with you about playing OT until someone scores. Only in the playoffs. The regular season doesn't have to have a winner every game.

What bothers me is the way they point to fans liking the shootout; Sure we like the shootout, it's exciting.
Now ask us if we want a game decided like that.

Forgot to mention, I don't like the "loser points" either. But I disagree with you about playing OT until someone scores. Only in the playoffs. The regular season doesn't have to have a winner every game.

Don't disagree with you but the americans hate ties and that is why i say just keep it going. I doubt many make it past 1 or 2 OT's since they know they need to score.

Don't disagree with you but the americans hate ties and that is why i say just keep it going. I doubt many make it past 1 or 2 OT's since they know they need to score.

Americans hate ties, yet here we are discussing changes to the changes to prevent ties in the first place.
Fvck the Americans. Go back to hockey.

What bothers me is the way they point to fans liking the shootout; Sure we like the shootout, it's exciting.
Now ask us if we want a game decided like that.

Exactly. It is exciting, but it's more of a skills competition than anything else. Not the best way to decide a game.

Here's what I think

1. OT (4 on 4)- 10 mins
2. If nobody scores in OT then both teams get a tie
3. Shootout, which is just for the fans, it doesn't count towards any points for either team.

Yeah because I'm sure the players and coaches on both teams would be thrilled to waste their time doing a shootout after a tough game that ends in a tie. Just stop being a potato already.

It should be 4 on 4 for 10 mins, and then go to a shootout if need be, no loser points. Doubt many games go to the shootout with that format.

Take away the loser point, and there won't be as many lackluster OTs. It almost seems like they don't try much in the current OT, because they'd rather play the shootout.

It should be 4 on 4 for 10 mins, and then go to a shootout if need be, no loser points. Doubt many games go to the shootout with that format.

i would be okay with this but if you win in a shootout you only get 1 pt.... shootouts shouldn't be valued the same as a win while playing hockey

link

Interesting that they no longer like the shootout idea.
I don't like the current setup either. There shouldn't be a shootout in a regular season game. One, single OT period, and if nobody scores, each walk away with a point.
In the playoffs, multiple OTs. Max of three - then a shootout if necessary. That's what I'd prefer.

Shoot outs in playoffs??! Are you ****ing daft?
That's P84/mongoloid level stupidity.

10 minutes 4-4, using the long change. Do the dry scrape like they do for the shootout before that period.
If still tied, then go to a shootout. I've learned to accept some shootouts, but as they said, each team is on pace for like 10+ in the season - if we can cut that down in half, it'd keep the interest in it a bit, I think.

I'd like to see the points changed to the 3/2/1/0 style as well, but that seems like it will take longer to get approved. Start with the 10 minutes as a first step.

I never had a problem with ties either. If teams play 65-70 minutes of hockey and come out of it with the same score, then neither team should walk away with either a bonus point or a "loss" at the end of the game. Just call it what it is: a tie.

So, with that in mind, I'd want to ssee them do it one of two ways. Preferably:

10 minutes of 4-4 OT.
No shootout afterwards.
If it's a tie, both teams get one point.
If one team scores in OT, the winning team gets 2 points and the losing team gets 0.

Or, if they insist on keeping the shootout:

10 minutes of 4-4 OT.
Shootout.
Winning SO team gets 2 points, losing team gets 1.
A win in regulation or OT = 3 points. A loss in regulation or OT = 0 points.

Back