• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

What Will Tim L Do?

trujaysfan

Since it is likely we miss the playoffs this year I figured i would continue the conversation that was being had in the GDT tonight.

My best guess is that he bring in Wayne Gretzky as president of the Toronto Maple Leafs and lets him build a staff that fits his vision.

Nonis and Randy as well as a couple others in the Front Office would be leaving under my guess.

I expect him to bring Gretzky at the least. Nonis will send Randy down the river, but will be given another chance with another coach. Unless Timmy has someone specifically in mind for GM who is available. Then Nonis is ****ed.

Do you really think Gretzky wants anything to do with the Leafs? The last interview I heard with him, he said he was happy being away from hockey.

I think he bring in a President who is marketable (aka gretz) and then to do the org review together. I don't see him making many changes on his own unless they are glaring

I don't think Nonis will get fired yet, but yeah Carlyle looks like a dead man walking right now.

Nonis seems the pliable type. He will take orders, unlike Burke. And Leiweke will give them, because he wants what Burke wanted, to be The Guy That Broke The Leafs Drought. He knows that whoever does do that will be immortalized forever. I would not be shocked at all if some shit happens this offseason that nobody expected. Look at the Raps and especially TFC, I did not see that coming.

I don't think Nonis will get fired yet, but yeah Carlyle looks like a dead man walking right now.

Nonis seems the pliable type. He will take orders, unlike Burke. And Leiweke will give them, because he wants what Burke wanted, to be The Guy That Broke The Leafs Drought. He knows that whoever does do that will be immortalized forever. I would not be shocked at all if some shit happens this offseason that nobody expected. Look at the Raps and especially TFC, I did not see that coming.

Really? TL had been spouting off about big name DP's since he showed up. I guess if you are not paying attention to certain things associated with TFC you may not have heard about all of it but names were leaked early when it came to the TFC player search

Roster wise, who is retained going forward?

Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Phaneuf, Bernier.

The rest can be moved. We need more 2-way forwards. We need to get better defensively. Not sure how we can accomplish this, but too many one-sided players on this team right now.

Really? TL had been spouting off about big name DP's since he showed up. I guess if you are not paying attention to certain things associated with TFC you may not have heard about all of it but names were leaked early when it came to the TFC player search

Leiweke has been very hands-off with regards to the Leafs. We looked pretty much on our way to another playoff series, but im guessing that might change in the coming month or so.

If we do miss the playoffs, i want to see the press conference with Leiweke.

We need some people that can actually play their damn roles and care. Leave the first line alone, Reilly and Bernie. The rest can be trade or buyout bait or whatever.

Do you really think Gretzky wants anything to do with the Leafs? The last interview I heard with him, he said he was happy being away from hockey.

Tim L will get him on board.

and yes I think that Gretzky wants something to do with the Leafs, he loves this franchise and always has. Gordie was his favourite player growing up but he always dreamt of being a Leaf. Still can.

No I saw it coming after he got here, I just mean the turnaround those two teams have had since.

Leave it to ME for the optimism. I'll take a change similar to the raps and TFC anyday.

And I am not sure why we need a "team" of management - i.e. Loiselle, Fletch, Nonis, Poulin...etc. Why? Do other teams have this bloated structure?

We need some people that can actually play their damn roles and care. Leave the first line alone, Reilly and Bernie. The rest can be trade or buyout bait or whatever.

Things that shouldn't be touched unless it's for a clear upgrade:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXXXX
Kulemin - Bolland - XXXXX
XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXXX

XXXXXX - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason

Bernier
XXXXX

Add players with good size/skill combinations to the 2nd & 3rd line wing situations. Bring back Kulemin & Bolland if it makes financial sense, if not replace them with similar players. Put a fast 4th line with good size together that isn't afraid/inept to play with the puck, get a legit top pairing defender to play with Phaneuf. I love Gunnar and think he's under rated, but I'd like to see someone with Phaneuf that can play the same type of high end 2 way game that Phaneuf can. Bring in a new coach. I'm pretty convinced that a new coach would reverse a lot of this ridiculous trend of being hilariously out shot every night. We have enough talent in house to win games that we're out shot in, but it's something that we've clearly shown that we need near ideal conditions (health and level of form our top players are in) for it to be successful. It's turned us into an extremely streak clubs. We're incapable of grinding out wins. We either win with speed and skill (including high end goaltending), or we lose. A detailed, structured, but not constrictive system will get a lot more our of the horses we have than we're seeing this season.

Who would that top pairing defender be? And what would be trading to get him?

That team you posted is no different than what we have right now. The forwards are just as much to do with us getting outshot as the defence. The top-6 has proven to be atrocious defensively this season. The defence you have is unchanged from this year.

This freefall from the playoffs comes as a bit of a surprise considering where we've been in the standings all season, but not as a surprise to the way we;ve played all season. We haven't played great hockey this year. Consistently relying on our goaltending to save our bacon.

Leave it to ME for the optimism.

There's a lot of reasons to be optimistic. Don't let the trolls and naysayers cloud the facts

1) We're really, really young

2) We're quite good, though clearly flawed

3) The major flaw (possession) is extremely fixable

4) We have high end elite talent scattered all over the rink. On the wing, Kessel & JVR are about as lethal a wing combo as there is in the league. Up the middle Kadri needs a weight room to become an elite centre imo, but the talent is clearly there. On the blueline our Captain is a top tier defender and the Gardiner/Rielly combo is pretty drool worthy. Gardiner I think will always have us pulling our hair out at times, but he's ****ing electric when he's pushing the puck. Rielly has a much better rounded skill set and is already a solid 2 way defender and not just a pure puck mover. The kid is also a weight room junkie, his work ethic will max out every scrap of impressive natural talent he has.

5) We have a deep prospect pipeline, that though it lacks impact talent, should start turning out quality #4-12 forwards and #3-6 defenders as soon as this upcoming season. That doesn't sound extremely profound, but it's something that we've never really done well as an organization. We've not done well in a continuous flow of quality depth for the parent club, that keeps us away from having to overpay very mediocre veterans because they bring some sort of intangible that we lack. This group of kids coming up over the next 2 seasons (Holland, Percy, Leivo, Ashton,D'Amigo, Broll, Granberg) bring a lot of the things I think we're lacking as a group right now. They all seem to be high IQ players who play the proverbial "200 foot game" that we don't right now. They should compliment our current group well and make cap management a lot easier for a handful of important seasons (Kessel's prime...AKA "The Kessel Run")
I'll take a change similar to the raps and TFC anyday.

And I am not sure why we need a "team" of management - i.e. Loiselle, Fletch, Nonis, Poulin...etc. Why? Do other teams have this bloated structure?

Yeah. In Detroit for example, at one point they had Ken Holland, Steve Yzerman, Delvechio, Jim Nill.

Back