PDA

View Full Version : GDT: Canes @ Panthers 3/27 7:30

andyt
03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Out of sight, out of mind? No GDT until noon?

The Panthers have been eliminated from playoff contention. They're probably safely ahead of Buffalo for last in the East too. They are 29th in goals per game, 27th in goals against per game and DFL in both PP and PK%. Yes, it's possible for a PP to be worse than ours. They convert a tidy 10.3%. Bobby Lu is back in goal, having started 9 of the 10 games since the trade. Erik Gudbranson is expected back after missing 9 games.

Canes come off a desultory game against the Islanders. They showed some sack, almost coming back from a 4-0 first period deficit. Who knows what we'll see tonight.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

cmaleski2
03-27-2014, 12:51 PM
0.3% playoff chance for the Canes. We are 6th worst in the overall league standing, which would earn us a 6.2% chance the #1 overall pick. 4 points ahead of Calgary for 5th worst, but just behind several teams with 72 and 73 points. Add that up and its a collective "I don't care what happens tonight". The reality is that we would be better off losing this game and every other game that remains on the schedule.

TheBigKahuna
03-27-2014, 01:00 PM
If I thought the Canes had a realistic chance to drop or should I say, move up, to a 4th or 5th pick overall, I'd be fine with them losing out the season. But realistically, I don't know why I'm even here. I don't care.

I guess I'm a "fair weather fan" now. I was called that the other night when I mentioned that I had tickets, but wasn't going to the Isles game. When asked why I wasn't going, I said simply, "they suck and I no longer care". So, I'm a fair weather fan.

StormChaserBH
03-27-2014, 01:02 PM
lose the road games, win the home games to give people *something* to cheer about, and take our chances with the percentages.

Elsker
03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Big gap between us, currently at #6 draft position, and those below us in the league standings (http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=lea#&navid=nav-stn-league), with Calgary being 4 points below us with one less game to play. Not sure we can out-lose them, so it's only upward from #6 from here on out.

Real jockeying for draft position will therefore be between us and about three other teams that are all within a couple of points of us: Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Nashville.

And, since we're probably taking Sami's son a few notches ahead of his final scout ranking, may not even matter. :sarcasm

jeffbear
03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
The board is doing weird things, so I didn't bather with the thread.

Bottom line ... results in this one don't really matter much, but they do need to play a decent team game after that dumpster fire on Tuesday.

TheBigKahuna
03-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I have been listening to draft class talk on XM, and they say this might be the worst draft class since 1999. 5th or 14th might not matter. I too think we'll upset Kapanen and take him with our 1st rounder.

Elsker
03-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Fan boards that track draft prospects more closely than I do seem to concur that the quality break is somewhere after the first 5.

And, after that, it's your choice. So, yes, may not matter that much.

Skinner was a 7th, after all, although maybe a surprising one to still be there at that spot.

CanadaCanes
03-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I have been listening to draft class talk on XM, and they say this might be the worst draft class since 1999. 5th or 14th might not matter. I too think we'll upset Kapanen and take him with our 1st rounder.

Good God dont say that! A Kapanen pick would reek of everything that is wrong with this franchise and everything that makes this org so predictable...smallish forward, warm and fuzzies because he skated with the Canes when he was a wee tot when Daddy played here! For a team that says they need to change things up...this kind of stupidity would show yet again that nothing ever changes with this bunch!

jeffbear
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Fan boards that track draft prospects more closely than I do seem to concur that the quality break is somewhere after the first 5.

And, after that, it's your choice. So, yes, may not matter that much.

Skinner was a 7th, after all, although maybe a surprising one to still be there at that spot.

So ... losing to the Isles wasn't a bad thing after all. The break point does seem to be top 5 based on everything I've read, so we need to do everything possible to "catch" Calgary and the Isles over these last 10 games. Losing to Florida tonight would also work. Make it so.

dwind
03-27-2014, 05:01 PM
As it stands right now, the canes can't do any thing 'bad' as the don't give a crap has kicked into high gear.
Score, who cares. Staal can sit in the middle of the ice and play a guitar. He might be more productive that way.

TheBigKahuna
03-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Good God dont say that! A Kapanen pick would reek of everything that is wrong with this franchise and everything that makes this org so predictable...smallish forward, warm and fuzzies because he skated with the Canes when he was a wee tot when Daddy played here! For a team that says they need to change things up...this kind of stupidity would show yet again that nothing ever changes with this bunch!

If you don't think the Canes won't draft Kapanen and Wesley, you've not paying attention! Kapanen likely wants to play for the Flyers though.

Score, who cares. Staal can sit in the middle of the ice and play a guitar. He might be more productive that way.

Harry plays guitar. Staal is a singer.

dwind
03-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Maybe they can do a duet, out in a nice tutu and skate around the ice.

now watch staal the elder be a beast tonight.

dwind
03-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Dvorak showed a little snarl when he ran over Lou.
The refs were so shocked at seeing a cane do something like that they didn't know what to do so they gave him a 5 and game. Any other team they would have given a minor.

cmaleski2
03-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Tlusty improving his bargaining position with a late season goal surge.

TheBigKahuna
03-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Just tuned in and see it's 3-0. Gosh Florida must be bad!

For the 3 minutes I've had it on, Tripp hasn't shut up. I haven't missed that.

StormChaserBH
03-27-2014, 08:48 PM
EStaal took his stupid penalty early tonight! Well, I guess it's good to get it out of the way in case it's a close game later.

brassbonanza
03-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Hoo-dobin!

Tryamw
03-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Khudoubin lost the puck on a breakaway Sekera saved the day. still 3-0 'Canes. Still a bad "major" penalty note though I expected a penalty.

Tryamw
03-27-2014, 09:50 PM
So do we have a shot in the third? Checks....4 shots. Almost time for the Panthers to pull their goalie to steal the shut out from 31

31 keeps the Shutout.

Elsker
03-27-2014, 11:09 PM
I have not been so entertained by a Canes goalie since the Irbe years. Such a battler.

Got ourselves a Russian goalie, two Russian forwards, and a young Russian prospect.

Longtime JR-era fans can just savor the irony of all that awesomeness right alongside me.

HurryCanes
03-28-2014, 04:14 AM
Even with some lost games and sometimes less than top tier line mates , skinny has potted 28 goals. Personally I like the way he's maturing and hope he's one that survives any shakeup.

CanadaCanes
03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
I have not been so entertained by a Canes goalie since the Irbe years. Such a battler.

Me too! The guy fights hard and battles to try and make every stop, never quits on a play, at times he can be a bit of a roamer, but overall he wants to win, we need more of those types here.

cmaleski2
03-28-2014, 08:48 AM
but overall he wants to win, we need more of those types here.

My wife's favorite Khudobin saying "get the W". He says it all the time in interviews.

jeffbear
03-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Typical ... save a shutout road win for when you really would be better served by a well played loss.

I picked up pieces of this one while swapping around between basketball games. Looked to me like they played a really strong possession game for the first time in a long while. Again ... thanks for breaking that one out when it's too late to matter.

brassbonanza
03-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Florida must be just really bad. That's the only explanation I can gather from that. Kudos to Khudobin who is erasing all doubt about his #1 status. Very high level of physical and more importantly, mental toughness.

SlapShots
03-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Florida must be just really bad. That's the only explanation I can gather from that. Kudos to Khudobin who is erasing all doubt about his #1 status. Very high level of physical and more importantly, mental toughness.
Florida is a bad team, but they had a plethora of injuries on a team with little depth. As a matter of perspective, their power play is 30th in the league- we're 29th.

jeffbear
03-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I finally got around to watching the third period this morning. If we've any hope of a top 5 draft pick we need to shut Khudobin down for the rest of the season. He was hanging on like a rat in a hurricane in that third period.