• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Caps @ Canes 4/10 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The last home game of the season.

The Caps were eliminated from playoff contention last night when Columbus won the the Red Wings got a point. Ovechkin leads the league with 50 goals but only had 1 even strength goal in the month of March. He's a staggering 869th in the league at -34. Despite his 50 goals, he's only tied for 7th in scoring with a woeful 27 assists. Backstrom has 7 points in his last 5 games. Mike Green didn't travel and Brooks Laich is also out.

Canes scored first against the Rangers on Tuesday then allowed 4 straight to eliminate themselves from the playoffs again. They've had success against the Caps this year, taking 3 of 4 games so far, but they haven't played since January 2. Khudobin goes in goal. He's given up 2 or fewer goals in 7 of his last 9 games. Skinner has 8 points in his last 9 games. Tlusty is probable, Murphy and Ward are questionable and Sekara is probably out.

South Plaza party tonight. It's also hat giveaway night. That used to be a good omen, with a Canes player almost guaranteed to have a hat trick. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Edit: Ovechkin didn't have an even strength point in the entire month of March.

Last edited:
Checkers have a huge game tonight. I'm assuming the only reason Murphy isn't there is bacause he is hurt?

Ovechkin didn't have an even strength point in the entire month of March.

That is beyond incredible. I know we got a chance to see the disaster that was Jordan Staal and Jeff Skinner for a 20 game stretch last year in terms of +/-, but Ovechkin getting no even strength points in an entire month?

The goal he scored against the Devils last Friday was his first even strength point since 2/27, so almost 5 weeks.

Ugh ... let's put this train wreck in our collective rear view mirrors and make sure we all blow any remaining food and beverage credits tonight.

Who cares. The Frozen Four Semis are on tonight. At least we can watch guys who actually care to play. This team is dead to me.

Time to dust off the putter and fishing (in Ontario) pole; it's April in canes land and that means the last home game. Guess I will see JB and others at the concession stand burning off my beverage credit with superfluous twizzler and nutty Bavarian purchases. Taking my 8th grader (been going since 4) for one more outing, come on guys, leave it on the ice!!!!

Words for tonight - remember the draft!

It would be hilarious if some guys showed up in coach mo, coach lavi and dineen masks and sat right behind the canes bench.
It would funnier still if they were there in person.

Starting Khudobin, calling out the players, giving the 'ole "win one for the fans" speech...

They're just trying to mess up our 6th-place drafting position, aren't they?

Although moving to #10 or so will make drafting Sami's kid much easier to sell. :sarcasm

Ryan Murphy was re-assigned to Charlotte earlier today (in case anyone was wondering...) Their game tonight is a lot more important...

Ryan Murphy was re-assigned to Charlotte earlier today (in case anyone was wondering...) Their game tonight is a lot more important...

It would be more important if it was an exhibition game against Middle Schoolers. The Canes game means nothing.

My give a $#!t meter is nearly bottomed out. I'm hoping they lose these last two for draft's sake. Otherwise, can't be bothered to care.

The game tonight is bittersweet - but not in the way one might think. It's bitter that I will be going, but sweet that this is the last game in another truly miserable season.

Checkers won 3-0...big win for them. Better that the Canes lost tonight but at least put on a show and don't give fans who actually showed up for this meaningless a reason to leave early.

And while we're at it, Chantal needs to be promoted to another opportunity. Even my 14 year old was shocked by her interview with Jordan.

Question: that line with Chimera and Ward, were they just good or are they hard to play against?
My son: Was that not the same question, dad?

Yes I'm grouchy because i just wasted 3 hours but really???????

Free at last! Thank the Lord that I won't have to attend another game for the next 5-6 months. Tonight's game at the PNC felt like it lasted 6 hours. Incredibly boring play, only exceeded by a total lack of effort by the Canes. This game was so insulting to us fans who shelled out the bucks to watch this team all season.

Snoozer all the way around -- Caps had almost as many passengers as we did tonight... Ovie, for example and as expected, I don't think even broke a sweat all night... problem is, 3 of the 4 or so Caps that weren't passengers are all on the same line and they killed us. Khudobin probably wanted 2 of those back, but he got hung out to dry on pretty much every "play".

Back