• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game 4 - Habs @ NYR – Sun May-25, 2014 - 8:00 pm

northernlou

Idi Admin
TV: 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN, CBC, RDS
NYR lead series 2-1

After two lackluster performances to begin the Eastern Conference final, the Montreal Canadiens applied a liberal use of grit and sandpaper in Game 3 to halve their series deficit. The Canadiens look to even the set against the New York Rangers and regain home-ice advantage when the Original Six rivals reconvene at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. The clubs benefited from fortunate caroms to net late third-period goals before Alex Galchenyuk scored 1:12 into overtime to give Montreal a 3-2 victory on Thursday and snap New York's five-game winning streak.

Former Ranger Brandon Prust ignited the fireworks with a hit that broke Derek Stepan's jaw, earning the Canadien forward a two-game suspension while ratcheting up the intensity of the series. "It can impact the series, for sure, but you need to be a team that's going to be disciplined and that doesn't retaliate," Montreal's David Desharnais said. Daniel Carcillo attempted to retaliate with a hit on Prust later in the first period, but the agitator pushed the envelope too far and earned himself an automatic 10-game suspension for physical abuse of an official.

The Rangers' frustrations with Prust, who did not receive a penalty on the first-period hit, was exacerbated by how well New York played in the 3-2 overtime loss. Planning to channel the raw emotion that has been generated in the past few days, the Rangers expect to be rewarded for a strong effort in Game 4.

ABOUT THE CANADIENS: The day after being suspended two games for his hit on Stepan, Prust met with the media on Saturday to discuss his hit and Stepan's injury, which he described as "unfortunate."

"For me, it's my first shift of the game. I'm trying to create some energy. I want to get out there and get some body checks in," Prust said. "I try to skate in front of him and stop and come back into him; kept my skates on the ice, my shoulder into his chest. I didn't leave my feet. It's all about the timing. It's a fraction of a second. It's late, but for me my focus was on trying to make a good, clean body check."

With Prust out of the lineup, the expectation is that rookie Michael Bournival will take his spot on the Canadiens' fourth line, where he took some shifts in the first round against the Tampa Bay Lightning and in the second round against the Boston Bruins. Veteran Travis Moen, who played four games against Boston, could also be available.

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien refused to tip his hand when asked on Saturday how his lineup would look for Game 4.

"It's tough for me to talk about that question because I'm not sure what type of lineup [the Rangers] are going to put in [Sunday] night," he said.

Coach Michel Therrien got a bit creative during an open practice on Saturday, all under the watchful eyes of New York assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson and president and general manager Glen Sather. With Prust sidelined, Michael Bournival was paired with Daniel Briere and Dale Weise on the fourth line, while Francis Bouillon joined fellow defenseman Mike Weaver. Rookie blue-liner Nathan Beaulieu logged just 8:53 of ice time in Game 3.

ABOUT THE RANGERS:
Derick Brassard declared himself ready to return for Sunday's tilt after suffering an upper-body injury following a check from Weaver during the first period of the series opener. "I was told he cleared himself," coach Alain Vigneault said with a chuckle. "That's good to know. He didn't tell me." Vigneault confirmed that Stepan is "unlikely" to play on Sunday, meaning either J.T. Miller or Jesper Fast could be in line for their first action since Game 3 of the second-round series versus Pittsburgh.

Who's hot: Forward Max Pacioretty has sparked Montreal's offense with six points in his past six games and Daniel Briere has two goals in his past four games, both of which came in the final minutes of regulation. … Rangers fForward Martin St. Louis has three goals and six points in his current five-game point streak. Forward Chris Kreider has two goals and four points during a three-game point streak.

New York has killed off all 22 short-handed situations over the last eight contests, marking its longest stretch since a 10-game run in 1940.

Injury report: Canadiens goaltender Carey Price (knee) is out for the series. … Stepan (jaw) is out for New York. Brassard (upper body) has been out, but is expected to play.

Trends:

Canadiens are 11-4 in their last 15 road games.
Canadiens are 13-5 in their last 18 after allowing 2 goals or less in their previous game.
Rangers are 19-7 in their last 26 when their opponent allows 2 goals or less in their previous game.
Rangers are 28-11 in their last 39 Sunday games.
Rangers are 1-4 in their last 5 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
Under is 8-1-3 in the last 12 meetings.

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nhl/matchups/g2_preview_2.html
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2013030314

343695gohabsgojpg.gif

So many days off between games. Hope we took the time to re-focus. Win here and we're right back in it.

Darren Dreger: Stepan was released from hospital last night and is not on the ice for the morning skate.

Well hope the boys can rise to the occassion tonight. They were less than inspiring last game even though we squeaked out a win. Hopefully Tic's play and the fact they won makes trhem realize they can make a series of it if they do better.

Go Habs!!!!

Lou is not bad luck....

Ranger in 6.....take it to the bank....the greek bank in this particular situation

Apparently Beaulieu is out and 55 or 6 us in.

Beaulieu out against a fast-skating Rangers team :facepalm

I guess Beaulieu going up against a tough physical President Trophy Boston team was ok (and the kid held his own pretty well), but against a fast Rangers team that is winning games mostly because of their goaltending is not ok.

Beaulieu out against a fast-skating Rangers team :facepalm

I guess Beaulieu going up against a tough physical President Trophy Boston team was ok (and the kid held his own pretty well), but against a fast Rangers team that is winning games mostly because of their goaltending is not ok.

Tsk Tsk, the boys on the AC were saying that not only can Boo Boo skate, he is good defensively.

Back