PDA

View Full Version : OT: What Really Matters!

Habspatrol
06-05-2014, 12:55 AM
I posted this on the Habs board and figured since I post on this board as much as that one I'd post it here too.

So last Tuesday night shortly after the Habs win in game 5 while I was basking in the glory my father suffered a massive heart attack. He too is a huge Habs fan and watched the game and was on cloud 9. After he and my step mom watched the game he was so happy. They decided to watch America's Got Talent which was on the PVR. Which may have saved his life. They were discussing the acts as they watched then during the first commercial break his wife noticed that he wasn't fast forwarding through the commercial she looked over and his eyes were closed. She she told him to wake up and he wouldn't open his eyes. So after trying for a few seconds she called 911. They arrived within 6 minutes and were able to get his heart beating again.

After hearing the news we made the 12 hour drive from Meadow Lake SK to Winnipeg Wednesday morning. We were basically told to pray for a miracle and we packed funeral clothes. For the first 3 days after they kept him in a medically induced coma and on life support. His vitals seemed decent but the biggest concern was that he could be brain dead. Then on Friday they removed the cooling blanket and warmed him up. By Friday evening he actually woke up and could answer yes and no questions and even whisper a few words. So that was a huge relief. He weren't sure if there was some brain damage or not but at least we know he's in there to some extent.

Unfortunately late that night he became extremely agitated and was thrashing around and tore out his tubes and IV. They had to sedate him and since then they have tried bringing him out of it he has been very agitated and delirious. So as of right now we are waiting for his heart to get stronger so they able to try again. They did an angiogram and it turns out he'll need a triple bypass when he is awake and strong enough.

Watching game 6 of the Habs/Rangers series on Thursday sure put things into perspective. I'm normally very emotionally involved in the games and a loss like that in an elimination game and would have been really pissed off. In this case I barely cared. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see them win and keep winning but it just didn't seem to matter.

Leafovic
06-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Sorry to hear that HP, I hope your dad is able to make a full recovery. Life is certainly full of surprises, and you have no idea when something like this will happen. A co-worker of my mom's died about a month back after suffering a stroke at work. She spent three days in a coma and then died. Was really surprising as she was only 51.

SundinsTooth
06-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Sorry to hear that HP. I lost my pop 25 years ago and it still hurts. Hope he pulls through and you get a lot more time with him.

Killer93
06-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear, keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

Deckie007
06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Sucky. Hope he makes a full recovery.

CTheBigPicture
06-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Sad story HP. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Rumpleforeskin
06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
sorry to hear HP, hopefully he gets well soon

BG
06-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Thoughts and prayers to your family HP, hope things turn around for him.

MindzEye
06-05-2014, 10:17 AM
My great uncle passed away at the ACC a bunch of years ago during the intermission of a Leaf game....had a stroke while standing in line to use a urinal, fell and hit his head.

Best wishes to you and yours HP.

Bleedsblue&white
06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
We live in a great Country HP, he's going to get his operation without having to jump through hoops or wait, so as bad as things are at least he's getting what he needs.
Good luck.

Habspatrol
06-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel pretty optimistic that he's going to make a full recovery and a couple months after the surgery he'll be feeling better than he has in years. It's just tough seeing him like this. He's 67 and like me he's always carried extra weight, plus he has diabetes. Besides that though, he's not sickly or frail by any means. He golfed 30 holes on Monday then 18 on Tuesday then came home and mowed the lawn. He's got a lot of life left in him... but he (and I) has to get serious about getting healthier.

Anyways, I definitely did not post this as a woe is me story though I very much appreciate well wishes. I wasn't going to post about this at all then I was doing a fair bit of reading on here for the first time in over a week and on the Habs board I saw a fair bit of anger from after the Habs game and know that's I'd usually have been right in there. I realize that we all know these lessons, and we'll all fall back into getting stressed out about hockey but figured that sometimes we really need to put things into perspective. Hell, maybe someone will have to remind me of this next year when I'm losing my shit in game 37 if the Habs blow a lead in the 3rd.

LeafGm
06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Best wishes HP. I hope your pops makes a full recovery ASAP.

Habspatrol
06-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Just a quick update. We just got back from the hospital. They had him almost completely off the sedatives. The have him on 1 MG of Propofal (aka MJ Juice) and he was actually able to open his eyes and also he could nod and shake his head to answer questions.

We had a good day like this last Friday as well. Hopefully he doesn't get too agitated again like he did that night.

TimHorton
06-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Late to this, but best wishes to you and the family HP. Also, if your dad starts wearing only one glove get him off the Propofal immediately!

BeLeafer
06-07-2014, 11:35 AM
It should turn out okay with the treatment they have these days. Sounds like he's out of the extreme danger.

My dad had bypass surgery after a major heart attack when he was 67. He lived another 24 years, was very healthy until the end, and enjoyed his bonus years immensely.

rated
06-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Shitty deal. I hope everything works out for the best for you and your family.

the_undead
06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Lot's of love to ya, Hp. You, your dad, and your family are in my thoughts, buddy.

Pronger84
06-08-2014, 11:50 AM
HP-

I'm really sorry to hear that your father is going through a rough time he wise and that he makes a full recovery, it's never any fun to watch a parent go through something that serious. I can totally relate man, I just found out last week that my Mom has Melanoma, she's had it for over a year and decided not to do anything about it. She has her referral's this week for the cancer clinic and depending on what stage it is the best option is surgery but we'll know more after tommorow.

Anyways man here's hoping your father makes it through this nightmare.

Habspatrol
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Thank you everyone.

BL it's great to hear a story like that... and I'd like to think that these surgeries have become even more "routine" at this point too.

P84, best of luck to your mom. My mom had a lung removed a few years ago due to lung cancer and is doing great now.

Pronger84
06-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Your welcome, and like others said nowadays there's all kinds of heart surgeries available. Thanks, if its anything I've learned from this it's life changes on a dime and all the bullshit in life is just minor and to appreciate the greater things in life.. best way to live life is day to day, glad to hear your Mom made a full recovery.

Habspatrol
06-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Well we made the 12 hour trek back home to Meadow Lake yesterday. Leaving him was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Then this morning I get a message from my brother that my dad is awake and alert. He's actually laughing and making jokes... and he even insists that he's going home already. Sounds like he's the same as he always was. It's amazing.

I'm so happy that he sounds so good and so sad that we left yesterday. But mostly happy. Thanks again for all the encouragement and support everyone.

anne25
06-08-2014, 04:56 PM
That indeed is good news.

KingTucker
06-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Great news HP. My (late) dad had a stroke too and he never fully recovered, was sad to see cos he was such a smart- acerbic guy heh.
Good to see your dad doing well and your family therefrom.

P.S. If you guys don't want Subban/can't afford Subban the Leafs can make room for him, just saying. :p

GEEMAN
06-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Great news HP. My (late) dad had a stroke too and he never fully recovered, was sad to see cos he was such a smart- acerbic guy heh.
Good to see your dad doing well and your family therefrom.

P.S. If you guys don't want Subban/can't afford Subban the Leafs can make room for him, just saying. :p

Sure Reilly , # 8 this year , JVR :thumbsup(22):

Pronger84
06-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Well we made the 12 hour trek back home to Meadow Lake yesterday. Leaving him was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Then this morning I get a message from my brother that my dad is awake and alert. He's actually laughing and making jokes... and he even insists that he's going home already. Sounds like he's the same as he always was. It's amazing.

I'm so happy that he sounds so good and so sad that we left yesterday. But mostly happy. Thanks again for all the encouragement and support everyone.

Wow that's really great news HP, glad to hear your Dad is recovering and here's hoping he makes a 100% one, I know all the posters on here bicker and hurl insults at each other but nobody likes to hear of anyone dealing with these things, everyone is rooting for u myself incuded.

You definetly got better news then I did today- My Mom went to see her doctor and it wasn't good news at all. The doctor told her that her tumour had grown and that a biopsy isn't possible due to it being overtop of her veins and that her BP was on the high side at 160, hopefully tommorow is a better day.

Habspatrol
06-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks again guys. It's much appreciated.

Some "funny/strange" stuff with the old man. Apparently they asked him a bunch of questions to see how his memory is. He did well and knows most things that that he should know. He's a very intelligent, well read man with a great grasp on history and current events/news. A couple things he struggled with...

Q: Who is the current president?
A: Bush

Q: Current PM?
Apparently he eventually got it right but it took awhile

Q: How many kids do you have?
A: 2 (correct answer is 3. He forgot my oldest brother)

He also asked where his mom was. She's been dead for 12 years. Also didn't realize his dad was dead.

Yet he remembered that I live in SK and we only moved here less than a year ago.

Habspatrol
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news P84. Hope the news gets better? Where's the tumor?

Pronger84
06-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news P84. Hope the news gets better? Where's the tumor?

Thanks. The tumor is located at the bottom of the cheek and extends down into the northern part of the neck region, about the size of a marble Id guess. The good news is surgery is still an option and the tumour can be fully removed in the coming weeks, hopefully it hasnt spread into the lymphnotes.

Pronger84
06-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks again guys. It's much appreciated.

Some "funny/strange" stuff with the old man. Apparently they asked him a bunch of questions to see how his memory is. He did well and knows most things that that he should know. He's a very intelligent, well read man with a great grasp on history and current events/news. A couple things he struggled with...

Q: Who is the current president?
A: Bush

Q: Current PM?
Apparently he eventually got it right but it took awhile

Q: How many kids do you have?
A: 2 (correct answer is 3. He forgot my oldest brother)

He also asked where his mom was. She's been dead for 12 years. Also didn't realize his dad was dead.

Yet he remembered that I live in SK and we only moved here less than a year ago.

Hmmm.... sounds like his short term memory is entact but not the long term memory, did the doctors say if itll come back fully

CTheBigPicture
06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Great news HP. Also sorry to hear the bad news P84. I hope both of your parents get well soon. My mom had breast cancer several years ago and is doing well. I hope the same for your parents

Habspatrol
06-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Hmmm.... sounds like his short term memory is entact but not the long term memory, did the doctors say if itll come back fully

It seems pretty random on the long term memory though. It sounds like he knows most stuff but forgets completely random things. I don't think the doctors really know what will come back. He's getting physio for his hands cause he has no dexterity at all. He can't even grab a tissue.

MindzEye
06-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Sure Reilly , # 8 this year , JVR :thumbsup(22):

http://f1.thejournal.ie/media/2014/04/ari-gold-anger-throws-phone-against-wall-entourage.gif

Habspatrol
06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
So my dad's been doing pretty good. Still not remembering some stuff but overall he's doing well.

He got his triple bypass today and from what I hear he's doing very well. It was a stressful day but I couldn't be happier.

TheCountofMonteCristo
06-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Good to hear Patrol.

Montana
06-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Every time I see this thread title, I assume it's going to be about our Forum Ice Dynasty Championship win.

I pray your father still remembers that we won it......

MindzEye
06-25-2014, 07:15 PM
I don't think Ray has gotten around to...you know...telling his dad about...you two.

He is in a weakened state and all.

Montana
06-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Shhhhh....the whole point of the masks is so that people don't know....

http://awholelotofnothing.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Ace-and-Gary-e1363051058101.jpg

Deckie007
06-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Every time I see this thread title, I assume it's going to be about our Forum Ice Dynasty Championship win.

I always think it's going to be about size.

Habspatrol
06-25-2014, 07:45 PM

You're looking at it completely wrong. Think of the joy and pride he gets to feel hearing about it all over again.

Montana
06-25-2014, 07:47 PM
That's pretty big for you as well......instead of him only being proud of you once in your life, you now get to experience it a second time.

Win/Win.

Habspatrol
06-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Everything's coming up Ray.

MindzEye
06-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Everything's coming on Ray.

Fyp