• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Traveling to Europe for honeymoon, would love some help

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
Hello FIcers,

I am planning a two week trip to France and Italy (main cities Paris, Rome, Venice, South of France); bonus cities:, Florence, Cinque Terre). I've looked into tours but they all seem rushed (one day in Paris, then off to a small city for another day, then again off to another city etc.)

We'd be willing to cut down the number of cities we visit, in favour of a more enjoyable vacation. So far we've allocated 4 days for Paris, 4 for Rome and have been trying to figure out a way to get to the other cities.

I've been to Europe personally so have check out Ryan Air's of the world but just can't figure out the right path between these cities and the cost shoots up quickly.

Do you guys/girls have any tricks to share?

If you're going from Paris to Provence, I'd suggest taking the TGV train. It's a couple hours. Then you can probably train/Ryan air it from Provence to Italy. You could rent a car in Italy, might be cheaper, but I don't know for sure.

I've done it both ways - tour and doing everything myself - and I think you're making the right choice especially if you're organized. The best part of Europe for me is simply wandering. I love the feel of it and the little shops and it's super romantic feeling.

I love planning trips although I never plan what we're actually going to do. I just like to pick a whole bunch of stuff that sounds great and be prepared for whatever we feel like on that day (ie. no matter what my companion and I feel like doing at the spur of the moment, I know what subway stop to get off at, when it's open, how much it costs). Maybe it's a bit neurotic/anal but I plan so that I can have no plan and still pull everything off.

We flew into London, took the chunnel train to Paris, took a train to Alicante and then joined up with a tour group in Madrid. From there we went to Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome and flew back to London via Ryanair.

Ryanair is awesome. I feel like I'd do Ryanair instead of any trains next time. So cheap and much faster.

One thing I found helpful is, if you are spending more that one day in a city take the first day to take one of those touristy bus tours around the city. It is a good way to pick out the things that you really want to spend more time visiting in a city packed with things to do and see.

One thing I found helpful is, if you are spending more that one day in a city take the first day to take one of those touristy bus tours around the city. It is a good way to pick out the things that you really want to spend more time visiting in a city packed with things to do and see.

Seems like a good idea. Just did one of those hop-on hop-off trolley tours in Boston and it was awesome.

If at all possible never spend less than 2 nights in a city. And if you're doing Liguria don't overlook Genoa - amazing place for food.

The title made me think you were looking for some cash, lol.
Maybe if you'd invited me to the wedding...

The only thing I can think of adding is, see if you can get to something a little off the beaten path. Everybody goes to Rome of course(for eg.), but there are some great little places tucked away here and there, with great food and great people.

If you're in Carpanzano (Calabria) for some strange reason, check in here and I can set you up with some relatives that would love an excuse to feed someone. You give them my name and you are guaranteed a feast.

There's a bit a distance between Paris and Rome, so I would try to minimize travel time. If you're flying in/out of Paris, I would look to fly back to Paris from Rome at the end of the trip to give yourself as much time a possible. The Euros have a lot of options for cheap flights.

Anyway, basically midway between Paris and Rome you have the French and Italian rivieras. A lot of options there. Aberdeen's Genoa recommendation of is a good shout. So is the TVG, which (I think) goes all the way to Avignon. If you like mediterranean food and wine, you are in for a treat.

Aw hell, what am I thinking? TGV goes to Marseille and Nice. Pretty much to the Italian border.

Edit: and Milan...

I took the TVG to Paris from Nimes, which was nearby where we stayed. But this was back in 1995. Highly recommend Marsailles and Avignon...Uzes too from what I recall.

last year I took car trip from Amsterdam and back. Went to Cologne, Freiburg, Lucerne, Albisola, Monaco, Nice, Cannes, Avignon, Lyon, Mulhouse, Strassburg, Luxemburg
Monaco - must go
French cities
Avignon - fantastic historical old town which is huge and very cool, remind my kids game Asassin creed, rest of the town if shit hole
Nice - very nice to go and close to Monaco
Cannes - can skip
Lyon - fantastic city, must go
Mulhouse - city is shtit but it has biggest and prob best car museum in the world
Strassburg - must go

Since I didnt have much time, only 5 days, I didnt want to go to Paris or Rome, in Rome you can spend 5 days easy so for Paris. Personally I prefer max 1 day per place or some time 2 per day.
I would suggest rent a good car (maybe convertible) and forget about trains (not cheap at all), you have full freedom and relay on own timing. Cheapest rentals are in Germany and outside of airports. For example Sixt has promos when they upgrade u much higher class for free.
If any questions let me know

I have to wonder and ask the question what friggen purpose does our embassy`s serve.
My daughter went to Africa for 6 weeks, to help out at an orphanage and do some research for her up coming semester.
She made it to Niarobi and was there for 2 days when she was jumped and 2 men with guns stuck them in her face and one tried to fire his gun but it wouldn't work.
They took her money and her card and her phone ... also her passport.
The police came and took her statement and the witnesses around all volunteered their perception of the incident.
She then was taken to the Canadian Embassy where she has encountered nothing but problems. It has taken 3 weeks and she has been told it will be another 10 days before they can re-issue her a new passport.
They`re comment to her was that if she gets into any other problems they will probably be unable to help her.
Trying to get money to her was very difficult ... (Embassy will issue her money but to get 300 would cost her 75) We have been put in touch with an individual in Africa who has worked as a buffer for us.
I was down at the MP`s office again yesterday because of the unrest in the area she was located in and have received ****ing squat .....
She wants out and we have to wait until they complete their investigation ...?????
The reason I am blathering about this is for others to realize what a bunch of idiots we employ as our face of this country. If you get into trouble don't count on these clowns.

I have to wonder and ask the question what friggen purpose does our embassy`s serve.
My daughter went to Africa for 6 weeks, to help out at an orphanage and do some research for her up coming semester.
She made it to Niarobi and was there for 2 days when she was jumped and 2 men with guns stuck them in her face and one tried to fire his gun but it wouldn't work.
The police came and took her statement and the witnesses around all volunteered their perception of the incident.
She then was taken to the Canadian Embassy where she has encountered nothing but problems. It has taken 3 weeks and she has been told it will be another 10 days before they can re-issue her a new passport.
They`re comment to her was that if she gets into any other problems they will probably be unable to help her.
Trying to get money to her was very difficult ... (Embassy will issue her money but to get 300 would cost her 75) We have been put in touch with an individual in Africa who has worked as a buffer for us.
I was down at the MP`s office again yesterday because of the unrest in the area she was located in and have received ****ing squat .....
She wants out and we have to wait until they complete their investigation ...?????
The reason I am blathering about this is for others to realize what a bunch of idiots we employ as our face of this country. If you get into trouble don't count on these clowns.

Sounds crappy and scary.

I have heard of poeple not being able to leave Cuba if they got into a car accident.

Sounds crappy and scary.

I have heard of poeple not being able to leave Cuba if they got into a car accident.

It is amazing the amount of ignorance that has been shown to us ..... she saved all her money to go over to "help" We encouraged her and thought she would be safe ....
It has been a real eye opener ..... the cops there asked her if she would like to be contacted if these men were located and watch them get stoned ...... She said no, "they obviously need the money more than I do" .....
I asked the MP office that if the MP had been robbed would they have to wait as long and be treated like this. There was no response.
Anyone have any ideas I am open to any realistic suggestions ...

http://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/stolen-belongings

That is really unfortunate and I hope all works out OK for her. I can understand that you are concerned and upset. It is a big hassle if you lose your wallet in Canada so do doubt losing documents outside the country is a nightmare.

For anyone travelling outside the country before you leave there are a few thing you should familiarize yourself about. One being knowing what assistance you can expect from Embassies and before you go check for travel advisories especially for countries with known unrest. I must admit that in my travels I have never done this, but I have never travelled to a country known to have unrest or third world country. After your story I might pay a bit more attention to these details no matter where I am going.

For replacement of lost or stolen passports it can take a around 15 working days and that is under ideal conditions.

Canadians abroad (outside of Canada and the United States) can apply at the nearest Government of Canada office abroad.

A replacement passport may be authorized if all requirements are met. These include the submission of:
•a completed application form signed by your guarantor
•two identical passport photos
•the appropriate fee
•an accepted proof of Canadian citizenship, and
•a complete Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document (PPTC 203, PDF, 195 KB)

Before the passport can be replaced, Canadian authorities will conduct an investigation into the circumstances of the loss or theft. This may lead to delays in processing the replacement passport.

For lost or stole property .

If you require urgent financial assistance, you can usually transfer funds from your own bank account or another private source in Canada to another country by using one of many commercial agencies such as Western Union or CanadianForex that perform this service for a fee.

Assistance from the Government of Canada

If you are unable to transfer funds from your own bank account or another private source through a commercial agency, Canadian government offices abroad can provide a list of local funds transfer services and can help you contact family, friends, employers, co-workers, credit card companies or banks to ask them to transfer money or airfare to you.

To transfer the funds you must contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad and provide information on the source of the funds and where you can be reached. You must also notify the source of funds in Canada that you have authorized the transfer. Consular officials in Ottawa can then make arrangements for a wire transfer from your bank or from another private source. These transactions take two or more working days to complete, and a consular service fee of C$75 will be deducted from the transferred funds.

Please note that Canadian government officials abroad can’t issue pension or social security benefits, lend personal funds, request funds on your behalf from family and friends without your permission or transfer funds through a local service on your behalf.

Emergency funds.
Financial assistance is not a right and depends on the circumstances of each case.

In certain emergency situations, if it is not possible to arrange for funds from a private source, a Canadian government office abroad can provide you with limited financial assistance in the form of a loan for a return trip to Canada. This service is offered only as a last resort and is subject to strict rules. As a condition of the loan, you will be required to surrender your passport, which will not be returned or reissued until the loan is repaid in full.

A consular service fee of C$75 will be applied to the loan, which carries an interest rate established by the Department of Finance Canada (Bank of Canada rate plus 3%). The interest cannot be waived and will be applied monthly until the debt is paid. If the debt is not repaid within 120 days, your file will be transferred to the Canada Revenue Agency and will continue to accrue interest.

http://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/stolen-belongings

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about this uncus. What a nightmare. Good luck.

I wish I had some advice for you.

Back