PDA

View Full Version : Health question

Kritter
06-22-2014, 07:15 PM
I was reading about medium chain tryglycerides the other day. And specifically coconut oil. Was totally blown away by the extensive uses of coconut oil. Kind of surprised it isn't more mainstream

My brother in law is a vegan and I tried coconut oil there and I was impressed.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone uses coconut oil as part of their gym/workout regimen. Reading about how athletes are using MCTs as part of their training.

Want to start taking it before I head to the gym in the mornings. Is coconut oil my best method? And would it make sense to simply eat coconut oil? How much is enough?

JackBurton
06-22-2014, 07:29 PM
I use Salmon oil a lot. Have to try Conconut oil. There's only so much you can take in a day.

Artnes
06-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I always cook with either grape seed or coconut oil.

Montana
06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Have been using both coconut oil and MCT oil almost daily for a long time....both great. MCT oil in my morning green shakes, and cook with coconut oil most days.

Kritter
06-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Have been using both coconut oil and MCT oil almost daily for a long time....both great. MCT oil in my morning green shakes, and cook with coconut oil most days.

Am I going to get enough MCTs in the coconut oil itself? Taking pre gym

Kritter
06-22-2014, 07:52 PM
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx

Montana
06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Am I going to get enough MCTs in the coconut oil itself? Taking pre gym

Honestly, I'd just recommend buying both.....use MCT oil as part of your daily routine pre-gym, but also pick up some coconut oil for your cooking, and it's other uses/benefits.

Given the consistency of Coconut Oil, it's a bit more of a pain to get into you if you're not cooking with it.....MCT oil is perfect for shakes, etc....while coconut oil on it's own, is best used when you're taking advantage of it's flavour and cooking with it.

At least for my routine, that's what I've found most convenient.

Kritter
06-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Honestly, I'd just recommend buying both.....use MCT oil as part of your daily routine pre-gym, but also pick up some coconut oil for your cooking, and it's other uses/benefits.

Given the consistency of Coconut Oil, it's a bit more of a pain to get into you if you're not cooking with it.....MCT oil is perfect for shakes, etc....while coconut oil on it's own, is best used when you're taking advantage of it's flavour and cooking with it.

At least for my routine, that's what I've found most convenient.

Thanks.. I am going to head out today and get some mct oil for my pre gym routine.

I can't imagine coconut oil is easy to cook with, I was reading it has a very low smoke point. You can saute with it buy high heat frying is out of the question. That being said, I very rarely 'high heat' fry. Maybe 10 times a year and that's usually a stir fry of some sort.

Artnes
06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
I dont know if I would consider 350F a low smoke point. There are higher out there but thats safe to fry with.

Kritter
06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't know if I would consider 350F a low smoke point. There are higher out there but that's safe to fry with.

Olive Oils range from 375-425 depending on presses and quality. 350 might not be that bad, will definitely give it a go sometime.
Been trying to think of when I actually fry other than stir fries (when I use a refined peanut oil).. Fried eggs occasionally or caramelized onions.

And Montana mentioned he likes to use coconut oil for its flavor. It's flavor must change during the cooking process because it is pretty neutral all by itself. Nothing beats a good olive oil for flavor though.