06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
For all articles, reports, etc.

Go nuts.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:04 PM
William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius

Epic name.

Scout’s Comments:
“William exudes confidence when he plays. Exceptional poise with the puck and is always looking to make threatening plays in the offensive zone. Excellent skater who is very difficult to check because of his agility and because he is always changing pace. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic and if you are his line mate, best be ready, as he will provide opportunities. Top line type player.”- Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

William Nylander is perhaps the most skilled dynamic forward available. The knock against Nylander is that he hasn’t shown the willingness to utilize his teammates leaving scouts to question his dedication to the team game. Without a doubt, Nylander possesses the puck skills and timely offensive instincts to become a game-breaker but it’s still fairly uncertain how high teams are willing to gamble on such a talent.
Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Feb. 21

@IssHockey - "A consistent threat; incredible skater & quickness combined w/ elite stickhandling." - Dec. 20th, 2013

@IssHockey - "Outstanding at U18 4-Nations; showcasing elite offensive weapons with 3 PTS in 3 GP." - Nov. 19th, 2013

Last Word On Sports

William Nylander is an outstanding skater. He has very good top end speed and excellent acceleration and change of pace ability. He uses this to fool defenders off the rush and to open up passing and shooting lanes by quickly changing speeds. He also shows very good agility and the ability to get around defenders one-on-one. His balance is good, but he could use more core strength in order to avoid getting knocked off the puck by bigger defenders.

In the offensive zone, Nylander shows off outstanding hands, and incredible stickhandling ability. He can control the game with the puck on his stick, and protects it well. He is an outstanding playmaker with great vision, and can pass the puck through the eye of a needle. His shot features a quick release, and good accuracy, but needs to add some power. There are plenty of skills there, but there are also some things Nylander has to work on. He must add mass, and become better along the boards and in front of the net. He also needs to make smarter decisions with the puck, sometimes he should make the simple play when it is available, instead of making the more complicated and riskier play.

Nylander will also need to work on his defensive game over the coming years. He has a tendency to float and puck watch in the defensive zone that will need to be addressed. He needs time, and a good coach, to teach him to be in the right spots defensively, and he needs to become more tenacious on the back check.

Despite some flaws, the high-end skill is as good as anyone in the draft. He has the potential to be a top line NHL centre if he can fix those issues. Still the boom or bust potential for Nylander is more prevalent in my opinion than those ranked above him, and thats why he is seventh on the list. His style (not potential, just style), compares well with Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/08/nhl-draft-profile-7-william-nylander/

Metalleaf
06-27-2014, 08:06 PM
The Swullet is back.

axlsalinger
06-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Love the pick.

Metalleaf
06-27-2014, 08:09 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10258538_10100832033505791_3501279127840266457_n.j pg

Feyd
06-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm pretty high on this pick too. Hope he pans out.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:11 PM
... us all seeming to like the pick feels really weird, lol.

Metalleaf
06-27-2014, 08:13 PM
... us all seeming to like the pick feels really weird, lol.

reminds me of this:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/mapleleafs/images/upload/2012/08/rielly600aug3.jpg

BKerr
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/08/nhl-draft-profile-7-william-nylander/

Metalleaf
Toronto Maple Leafs
Born in 96. Same year Hogan, Nash, Hall started NWO. RT @CMPunk: The @MapleLeafs just drafted a 12 year old. I think.

Deckie007
06-27-2014, 08:14 PM
He looks like he's 12.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:15 PM
@coreypronman: TOR select Nylander (my rank: 3), his pure skill level is best in the class. Can bring people out of their seats. Has to round out his game.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:15 PM
He looks like Joffrey.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
06-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Looks like a solid pick for the Leafs.

Boogmour
06-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Nice pick for the 8th spot. The kid comes from hockey bloodlines, hopefully he turns out as good as his father was or better.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:19 PM
http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/2014/06/June1314_nylander_hs.jpg

Metalleaf
06-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Twitter account: @snizzbone

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Apparently Nylander doesn't have a contract for next season and can start with the Marlies right away. Or the Leafs I suppose but yeah...

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Jonas Siegel @jonastsn1050
Mark Seidel, chief scout of NACS, says Nylander has "VERY high ceiling". Attitude supposedly a question mark.

Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Nylander had ridiculous second half. Record setting scoring in SHL-2, 20 minutes a night in SHL playoffs, best fwd at U18s.

Mike Zeisberger @zeisberger
Nonis: "We had a cpl ppl but Nylander was at the top of our list ... I wouldn't be shocked if he plays for us next season." #Leafs

MindzEye
06-27-2014, 08:27 PM
This kid is a serious home run swing.

hockeylover
“Overall, I would say that Nylander should be selected top five in the draft. His NHL upside is probably a PPG player, but he likely will never be a great two-way player. His skating, hands and reading of the game at lightspeed makes him a good fit in the modern NHL. He is going to receive a lot of love and hate, but he always will be entertaining.” - Future Considerations' 2014 NHL Draft Guide

"[Nylander] does possess Patrick Kane like skill in his ability to control and dangle with the puck needing minimal space to unleash a quick and accurate wrist shot." McKeen's 2014 NHL Draft Guide

I'm just posting whatever I can find. Sorry if I post something twice.

Preston_Mizzi
I know people who played with him when his dad was in the NHL.. he was really young at the time, but apparently he was very full of himself and a real prick. No one liked him. Good pick overall though. Happy to hear he'll probably be a Leaf or Marlie.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:30 PM
According to TSN:

Projection - elite offensive wing

Player comparable - Patrick Kane

Best asset - Offensive flair

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul 1m
Our new draft picks handle is @snizzbone and his bio is "give me the puck". I like him already. Congrats my man. Excited to have you

Deckie007
06-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I know people who played with him when his dad was in the NHL.. he was really young at the time, but apparently he was very full of himself and a real prick. No one liked him. Good pick overall though. Happy to hear he'll probably be a Leaf or Marlie.

Yeeaaaahhh....if you can back it up, I have no issue with cockiness.

Montana
06-27-2014, 08:32 PM

I'm just posting whatever I can find.

MOOOOAAAR.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiPD0fWSRU8

Not sure of the quality of this video. Can't watch it at work.

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:41 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/william-nylander-takes-father-s-advice-as-he-prepares-for-nhl-future-193548799.html

William Nylander Altelius (2014), C

Committed to Modo next season in the SHL, Nylander spent time with four different teams this year including a brief audition with Modo J20 team, multiple stints in the Allsvenskan and a call-up to the SHL .. a dominant force in international play leading the 2014 World U18 Championships in points (7-6-10-16) and finished tied for second in tournament points at the 2013 World U17 Challenge capturing a gold medal (6-2-8-10) .. talented solo act who can gain the zone and brings energy and intensity to each shift .. innovative, ideas occur naturally as a by-product of his vision and awareness .. always looking for the perfect play which can cripple his game appearing to hold onto the puck too long or trying to do too much .. creates separation via an explosive short cross-over stride and superb lateral agility .. Nylander’s omission from Team Sweden entry into the WJC humbled him as he bore down in the second half playing a more mature game .. can play harder in defensive situations but he does possess Patrick Kane like skill in his ability to control and dangle with the puck needing minimal space to unleash a quick and accurate wrist shot.

Volcanologist
06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Altelius >>>

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Pro-Agility Test Left - Nylander 2nd
Pro-Agility Test Right - Nylander 2nd
Wingate Test - Average Power Output (watts/kg) - Nylander 1st
Wingate Test - Peak Power Output (watts/kg) - Nylander 1st
Hand-Eye Coordination test - Nylander 4th

Montana
06-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, at NHL.com:

“William is an exceptional talent with all the tools needed to become a star. He’s an artist on the ice. William is an excellent offensive player with an extremely high skill level. He’s not a selfish player, but does tend to hold on to the puck too long at times. He needs to improve his defensive game, but he’s a fun player to watch and a real crowd-pleaser.”

Eldon MacDonald, THW:

A few words on William Nylander:

All the skills - Many say, William is the most skilled player in the draft. Dynamic, quick, agile, great hands, great passes, always changing the pace of play, can accelerate out of the blocks.

Wizard level creativity - William has the vision and creativity to augment his physical skills to make himself an offensive wizard at times.

Genes – Son of 14 year NHL veteran, Michael Nylander, William even had a chance to play with his Dad on occasion over the last two seasons.

Issues – William is a light weight, undersized forward who will always have strength issues. His defensive play also has a long ways to go. He has been bounced around a lot this season and has only found consistent success so far when he was paired with David Pastrňák at Södertälje of the Allsvenskan league. Most recently he has, however, been playing up in MODO in the top Swedish league and has, at times, been the best player on the ice.

Draft placement – William will need to improve his consistently to move up from around 10 on most lists. Failure to do so will likely cause a further drop in his rankings.

Aberdeen
06-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Sounds like how they described kessel

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Pronman:

The son of longtime NHLer Michael Nylander may be the most gifted pure offensive talent in the draft. William had a so-so first half when he struggled to find a role, but had a tremendous second half. Because of that turnaround, I've heard NHL scouts rank him anywhere from No. 2 overall to the 20s. He was over a point per game pace with Sodertalje in the SHL-2, setting a season record for points by an under-18 player, and played around 20 minutes per game with Modo down the stretch. Nylander's pucks skills are elite, as he can be described as "an artist" by some scouts in terms of how well he controls the puck, and the unique plays he makes. Nylander's hockey sense is fantastic as well, in terms of his vision, and offensive intellect. You combine that with a pretty good top gear and Nylander can create all sorts of havoc offensively. Nylander can deke a defender out, make a highlight-reel pass, speed by players. He's not the biggest guy (5-11, 181 pounds), his defensive play needs work, and he can try to do too much sometimes.

MapleLeafBlueJayBoy
06-27-2014, 10:04 PM
National Post Sports ‏@npsport · 2m
Toronto Maple Leafs select Swedish forward William Nylander, a potential franchise player, with eighth pick in... http://natpo.st/1lyywxj

MyNameIsJonas
06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Nylander looks like the punk blonde who picks on a minority trying to learn karate.

MyNameIsJonas
06-27-2014, 11:25 PM
congrats on the pick ( which i had pegged)

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 11:33 PM
“He is the most talented player in the draft,” Nonis said of Nylander. “I don’t think it’s a risky pick. An issue for him is size (five-foot-nine, 170 pounds), but he’s grown a lot. In terms of foot speed, puck skills, he’s got all that. For him, it’s going to be about hard work, getting stronger.”

“He thinks he’s good enough to play a significant role on a men’s pro team,” said Nonis. “Some people have a problem with that. To me, I have no issue if he can back it up with his play.”

“Against Canada when things were difficult, when they ran him a little bit, one of the things we looked for was: Would he shrink?” said Nonis. “That wasn’t a factor at all. He played as hard against the U.S. and Canada as anyone else. He was trying to prove a point, that he’s not a kid who’s going to be intimidated.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/06/27/maple_leafs_draft_william_nylander_nhl_speed_nhl_h ands_and_an_nhl_shot_right_now.html

*Note: Nylander was measured at 5'11" at the combine, not 5'9"

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Asked to explain Nylander’s game in a word, Nonis came up with “electrifying,” which isn’t half bad given some of the alternatives.

“He has NHL speed, NHL hands, an NHL shot right now,” Nonis said. “It’s whether or not the rest of his game can catch up… It may take him a month to acclimate, it may take him over a year – I don’t know that. But the skillset is very high end. I’m sure you guys [in the media] have seen some of the clips of him and those highlights happen regularly.

“He’ll be a very exciting player for our fans.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-nylander-a-smart-bet-by-the-leafs/article19384057/

Montana
06-27-2014, 11:48 PM
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/mapleleafs/images/upload/2014/06/nylander625jun27_v2.jpg

hockeylover
06-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Very critical write-up from Scott Burnside of ESPN:

8. Toronto Maple Leafs - C William Nylander

Exceptionally skilled - the most dynamic offensive talent in the draft. But son of longtime NHLer Michael Nylander has been coddled for years. Sometimes selfish, always a diva, and will give coaches gray hair. Has phenomenal hands and a world of skill; handles the puck as though it were glued to his blade, making ridiculous moves at top speed without a bobble. Glides effortlessly and is exceptionally elusive in tight quarters. While he's a brilliant stickhandler, always looks for the flashiest "Wow!" play instead of the simple, correct one. Superb on the PP where he owns the puck and sets up every play. Seemingly has more time to process the game than anyone else. Can slow play down, control the pace, then explode. Tremendous finishing ability. Terrific playmaker with every pass in the book, plus a few extras. Often seems intent only on showing everyone how skilled he is.

Montana
06-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Nonis says Thommie Bergman was very bullish on Nylander.......love hearing that.

MyNameIsJonas
06-28-2014, 12:01 AM
He's going to look great on my fantrax team.

JackBurton
06-28-2014, 12:02 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10258538_10100832033505791_3501279127840266457_n.j pg

That's a chick, right?

hockeylover
06-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Warning: Google Translate

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/nylander-draftades-av-toronto-maple-leafs/

Philadelphia. It became one of the classic NHL clubs who chose William Nylander. Toronto Maple Leafs picked Modo-scoring forward as number eight in the night's draft in Philadelphia. And it was a beaming 18-year-old who met the giant media call-up afterwards. "It feels great. To end up in Toronto is great, I knew they were interested but did not dare to believe anything he says."

It then became a place among the first ten in this year's draft for the talented son of Michael Nylander. And there was no club that father Mike played in during his long NHL career. But my question assured William that it did not matter. "No, it was not something I was thinking about actually. It would have been good no matter what happened here tonight"

Now Nylander's long wait is over. He can think ahead. And he can think of hockey game.

Ideally, he wants to North America this fall. "But I do not know what Toronto has plans for me, it's something we'll see. But it's clear that I would most like to play in the NHL as quickly as possible"

Asked if he is free to go wherever he wants in the world of hockey since he terminated the contract with Modo replied William. "Yes, I am without a contract. So I can choose any club in Sweden or play in the AHL if there was going to be Toronto next season"

He says that the moment when his name was called out from the podium in Philadelphia Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis was the largest he experienced.

- I had no idea where I would end up even if Toronto told during the final interview with me yesterday that they would take me if I was still in the first round, says William.

Toronto's Swedish scout Tommie Bergman says to Sport Express: - William is a very big talent.
Getting pull on the Maple Leafs classic sweater and playing in hockey's Mecca will be a challenge for Nylander junior.

William Nylander appeared in the night embrace that opportunity.

Montana
06-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Director of European Scouting, Goran Stubb:

"He's a good, mobile skater with outstanding skills, including smooth hands, vision, puck-handling and shot. He can also set up scoring chances for teammates and can score in many ways from outside or in traffic. He's very competitive and effective on the power play."

Montana
06-28-2014, 12:30 AM
An Interview With: William Nylander

Q. How does it feel to be chosen for a big market, big city, big team, and wearing the jersey?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: It's the best feeling in the world. So happy right now. Words can't describe it.

Q. What was it like when you heard your name called? Take us through the emotions.

WILLIAM NYLANDER: It's feelings that I've probably never had before, so it was a great moment for me and my family.

Q. Did you have any sense that you might be picked there?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I didn't have any idea where I was going to go in the draft, so the meetings were with all the teams, so going into the draft I didn't really have a feel for what was going on.

Q. What has this week been like for you?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: It's been a great week just taking it all in and enjoying every minute of it.

Q. Did you get a sense that they might be going after you?
WILLIAM NYLANDER: I mean, they don't really let you in too much, but I think they were pretty -- now in the last meeting here, they said they would probably take me if I was still there.

Q. How close are you to being NHL ready?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I'd say my goal is for next year, but if that doesn't happen, probably I'll go back to Sweden or play in the AHL.

Q. Are you aware of the Swedish history of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: Of course.

Q. Which is the greatest Swedish player on this side in your mind?
WILLIAM NYLANDER: I don't know, there are so many. It's hard to play pick one.

Q. For those of you who don't know your game, can you describe what type of player you are?
WILLIAM NYLANDER: I like to score goals and make plays and work hard on both ends of the ice.

Q. Where do you think you have to get better?
WILLIAM NYLANDER: I think every aspect of the game can be improved. There's nothing single that I try to work on. It's everything.

Q. There's some scouts who considered you the best talent in the draft. How would you respond to that?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: It's a really cool thing to hear from all the scouts. That's something that I try to keep on working on every day. It's nothing I take for granted.

Q. Is it true you're a free agent, like you can't (sic, ed note: they probably mean "can") sign wherever you want in Sweden?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I can sign wherever, no contract.

Q. Do you think you'll come to North America next year? Is that the plan?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: Yeah, we'll see what Toronto wants and what they think. It's not up to me, it's up to Toronto and what they think is the best fit for me.

Q. After playing in the men's league last season, partially last season, do you think you can handle yourself against men?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I mean, I have never played at the NHL level, so it's hard to say what it will be like, but I'm pretty sure it might help me a little bit making the transition over if I get the chance in the NHL.

Q. Talk about your Dad - what's he done for you as a person?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: He's always helped me over the years teaching me -- especially playing with him the last year, going on the ice early, 30 minutes before practice, working on small things, stick handling, shooting, and then gym afterwards and before practice, so he's been a big influence on me.

Q. What are your memories of your dad playing hockey in the NHL?
WILLIAM NYLANDER: There are lots, just sitting in front of the TV watching him play, going in the locker rooms after games, going to the practice facility. I've grown up around the rink.

Q. You grew up in the States then, I guess, right?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: Yeah, I moved back when I was 14.

Q. Back to Sweden when you were 14?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: Yes.

Q. So you must have played a lot of hockey in the States, as well, then?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: Of course, yes.

Q. Do you consider yourself almost like a hybrid, North American and Europe?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I don't know, it's hard to say. I mean, I really notice a big difference between going back and playing the big and small ice shape.

Q. Was it a relief not to be picked by a team where your dad played over here?

WILLIAM NYLANDER: I don't think it was a relief. It was just -- I didn't really think about that at all. I was just really happy to be selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs

leafman101
06-28-2014, 01:08 AM
Love the pick. Had him ranked 5th. The guy played against men this year and against his peers at the U18 he was in another league. He is insanely skilled and should have gone higher.

Montana
06-28-2014, 01:12 AM
http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/34928325/451349594.0_standard_709.0.jpg

#BlueSteal

Leafin'
06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Hopefully he gets stronger.

We need to hit a homerun here.

Metalleaf
06-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Well at least we can call him Bill Ny.

Montana
06-28-2014, 01:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ueMZ9hd.jpg

Montana
06-28-2014, 03:53 AM
Alex Steen (17yo)
SEL - (36 GP, 1g, 6pts)

William Nylander (17yo)
SweHL - (22 GP, 1g, 7pts)

Montana
06-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Random Trivia: Nicklas Backstrom used to babysit Nylander.

GEEMAN
06-28-2014, 06:20 AM
This kid is a serious home run swing.

great fken pick Leaf fans , some wanted Ritchie but this dude oozes skill , solid move

CaptainBolduke
06-28-2014, 07:40 AM
He looks 10.

leafman101
06-28-2014, 08:15 AM
From ISS

http://s24.postimg.org/kzh4n91r9/image.jpg

They also rank him as the best skater, second best puck handler and fourth best playmaker in the draft.

Here are his SHL and 2nd division from this year:

http://youtu.be/LzU3AvIAidY

leafman101
06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
He is the all time leading scorer for a 17 year old in swedens 2nd division. He is the 7th all time leading scorer in the U20 league and he put up that season last year at 16. The only 16 year old to score more than him is Robert Nilsson. He led the u18 tourney in scoring this year.

Statistically he is the best forward prospect to come out of Sweden since backstrom.

hockeylover
06-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Well at least we can call him Bill Ny.

That's awesome.

Blueman
06-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Dobber's Prospects guide:

William Nylander, LW (Sodertalje, SWE)
The most offensively skilled forward available in the 2014 NHL Draft may just indeed be Swede William Nylander, son of
former NHLer Michael Nylander. Off-the-chart puck skills and creativity, Nylander’s skills make the puck dance and keep
defenders on their heels. He’s an extremely confident handler and poised, escaping pressure with his elusive skating ability
and crafty hands. This dynamic winger isn’t particular large so teams have legitimate concerns about his strength, durability
and consistency, but it’s his attention to defense (or lack thereof) that will be the focus of his development. As a result,
expect William Nylander’s razzle-dazzle game to take a bit of seasoning.
Upside: Dynamic offensive winger (Jeff Skinner), 30-55-85+

Bleedsblue&white
06-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Very critical write-up from Scott Burnside of ESPN:

8. Toronto Maple Leafs - C William Nylander

Exceptionally skilled - the most dynamic offensive talent in the draft. But son of longtime NHLer Michael Nylander has been coddled for years. Sometimes selfish, always a diva, and will give coaches gray hair. Has phenomenal hands and a world of skill; handles the puck as though it were glued to his blade, making ridiculous moves at top speed without a bobble. Glides effortlessly and is exceptionally elusive in tight quarters. While he's a brilliant stickhandler, always looks for the flashiest "Wow!" play instead of the simple, correct one. Superb on the PP where he owns the puck and sets up every play. Seemingly has more time to process the game than anyone else. Can slow play down, control the pace, then explode. Tremendous finishing ability. Terrific playmaker with every pass in the book, plus a few extras. Often seems intent only on showing everyone how skilled he is.

If that's very critical, I'll take it.
He's a kid, you have to have an edge of some kind to make it to the NHL, and you can always iron out the kinks. You cannot, however, iron in the skill.

zeke
06-28-2014, 11:54 AM
this is an awesome awesome awesome pick.

we should make Bergman our GM. he's the only one that knows what the hell he's doing.

Volcanologist
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
If that's very critical, I'll take it.
He's a kid, you have to have an edge of some kind to make it to the NHL, and you can always iron out the kinks. You cannot, however, iron in the skill.

basically. that was a review that was trying very hard to be critical of a player with an awesome talent level.

JackBurton
06-28-2014, 03:23 PM
The Nylander haircut will now be the new craze in Toronto.

Leafin'
06-28-2014, 03:34 PM
For the garbage this team has done so far, the Nylander pick looks to be a good one.

I keep reading the comparisons to Zetterberg. Anyone got some thoughts?

gilmour93forever
06-29-2014, 02:50 AM
I can't help but think that we pair him with Kadri and see what kind of magic these kids can make on the 2nd line. Let's be realistic, our first line is set and we need to find that dynamic second unit. Giving us two scoring lines would be unreal.

And side-note, I like what Nonis is doing to clear up some of the logjams and giving guys more defined roles. I think it's going to help with the development of some younger guys. Then slide in some of the vets strategically. I approve.

SENSible
06-29-2014, 08:05 AM
I hate this pick...which means it was an excellent move for the Leafs.

Congrats. He does look like a chick though, which will be good for future mocking.

MindzEye
06-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Yep, right up until the guy who looks like a chick, pops a hatty in your barn.

number17
06-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Yeah he does look like a chick more than any hockey player I've seen... Which is a good thing if that's the biggest knock.

Volcanologist
06-29-2014, 09:36 AM
The "play for us this year" stuff is interesting. really looking forward to seeing him at camp.

JackBurton
06-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Yeah he does look like a chick more than any hockey player I've seen... Which is a good thing if that's the biggest knock.

At least he looks like a cute chick.

zeke
06-29-2014, 03:30 PM
The "play for us this year" stuff is interesting.

I'm actually expecting him to make the team. If he doesn't, I don't see him spending more than half a season with the Marlies before his play demands a callup.

Just like Rielly would have made the team in his draft year if he hadn't missed so much time to injury, or had been eligible to go to the AHL that year.

zeke
06-29-2014, 03:36 PM

http://www.tvparty.com/bgifs7/rudhead1.jpg

Leafin'
06-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Nylander - Kadri is interesting. I fear they would be quite weak and would get abused. Kadri is talented though, maybe he has a big year next year.

Pronger84
06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Nylander - Kadri is interesting. I fear they would be quite weak and would get abused. Kadri is talented though, maybe he has a big year next year.

Lupul-kadri-nylander would make for a deadly 2nd line and give us 2 epic offensive lines but man would be soft

hairnova
07-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Mississauga just took Nylander 13th overall in the CHL Import Draft.

LeafGm
07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Mississauga just took Nylander 13th overall in the CHL Import Draft.
Seems pretty hopeful on their part. I can't see why the Leafs would possibly send Nylander to the OHL. Right now, unlike with CHL players, they can send him to the AHL in his 18 year-old season next year or his 19 year-old season the year after. The moment he played in the CHL though, that option would be gone.

Nylander was also already playing against men in the SEL this year---going to the OHL would be a step backwards.

hockeylover
07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Seems pretty hopeful on their part. I can't see why the Leafs would possibly send Nylander to the OHL. Right now, unlike with CHL players, they can send him to the AHL in his 18 year-old season next year or his 19 year-old season the year after. The moment he played in the CHL though, that option would be gone.

Nylander was also already playing against men in the SEL this year---going to the OHL would be a step backwards.

Not sure that's true. They could have him in the OHL for a year and move him to the AHL for his 19 year old season if they wanted to.

I don't think he'll play in the OHL at all though.

LeafGm
07-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Not sure that's true. They could have him in the OHL for a year and move him to the AHL for his 19 year old season if they wanted to.

I don't think he'll play in the OHL at all though.
Are you sure? I thought that as soon as a player plays in the CHL, they can't play in the AHL so long as they still have CHL eligibility.

Unless there's some special exemption because Nylander would be coming from Europe, I'm not sure why it'd be different for him.

hockeylover
07-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Are you sure? I thought that as soon as a player plays in the CHL, they can't play in the AHL so long as they still have CHL eligibility.

Unless there's some special exemption because Nylander would be coming from Europe, I'm not sure why it'd be different for him.

Pretty sure that's the exemption - he was drafted out of Europe, not the CHL.

And that's why a guy like Tlusty only played one year for the Greyhounds and then moved to the Marlies.

LeafGm
07-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Pretty sure that's the exemption - he was drafted out of Europe, not the CHL.

And that's why a guy like Tlusty only played one year for the Greyhounds and then moved to the Marlies.
Good example, I forgot about Jiri Tootsi. You're right then, unless they've changed the rules since then.

So, that's good news. One more option for Nylander next year then, though I guess the one restriction that's still in place is that if we send him to the OHL, we can't call him up mid-season---though that'd also be the case if we send him back to the SEL.

hockeylover
07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
AHL seems like a great option. I think that's where I'd have him. You have way more control over ice time, whether he plays at C or on the wing (and he's been playing wing for Modo I think), etc.

From looking at twitter, it appears Mississauga already has two import players on their roster for next season so they took a homerun swing for Nylander.

BeLeafer
07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I dunno. I like that they have the OHL option. The kid is still 170 lbs, no?

He might be okay on the big surface with that size limitation, but in the NHL/AHL it could be punishing.

leafman101
07-02-2014, 12:37 PM
He looked like a man playing against boys at the U18. Playing him in junior would be a waste of a year IMO. He is above that level.

His play in camp will dictate where he ends up though.

number17
07-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I seriously doubt Nylander will play at the NHL this year. He needs to bulk up his body and not too long ago I listened to the Leafs' player development director (forgot his name ... Hughes?) who talked in length about the time Kadri spent at the minor and how that helped him, and how that helped Getzlaf, Perry etc etc. He said Rielly was an exceptional player but in general both him and Nonis believe prospects should spend time through the system to bulk up their body, and you can't rush that process.

So I dunno if Nylander is another 'special player' like Rielly in their eyes, but I won't bank my $$ on him being with the Leafs this season.

hockeylover
07-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Most of us are discussing CHL vs. AHL vs. Sweden right now.

leafman101
07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
The Leafs are thin on the wings so the opportunity will be there for him. He isn't your typical kadri/Getzlaf kind of prospect as he played professional hockey last year. And from a skill level, condition perspective he is probably closer to Rielly than Kadri. The kid may be thin, but he was up there in most of the combine testing like Rielly was. He was in one of the best shapes, which isn't surprising as he is already a professional.

So I don't think him making the Leafs is such a long shot.

number17
07-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I think the AHL makes the most sense.

trujaysfan
07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't see the CHL as a real option for him since he won't be making any $$$ while in the CHL. For a guy that has been playing pro and making money to give up making money it will be very difficult.

LeafOfFaith
07-02-2014, 01:07 PM
I really hope he ends up playing center. We really need someone gifted to take over that position.

number17
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Nylander is a C and it's important we don't convert him into a W. Like Kadri, his best attribute his play making and his vision. We can't take away half the ice from him and make him only half as effective as a winger.

IrishWolfman
07-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Realistically, the best place for Nylander is probably the AHL. It looks like we're graduating Holland to the big club. The AHL is a comparable level of play to what he was seeing in Sweden last year. He's lived in North America for most of his life, so it's not like he needs the training wheels of billets that he'd get in junior to help him make the transition.

He'll get more talented linemates at Ricoh than he would in Mississauga.

He needs to bulk up, and the Leafs are better able to help with that if he's with the Marlies than if he's with the Steelheads.

He needs to adjust to the small ice playing against men.

zeke
07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
bulking up is unnecessary. kid killed it on the combine tests. top-10 in four or five of them. 1st in a few of them. he'll get bigger even if stays up, and he'll be far far from the smallest player in the league.

he's much bigger than, say, Skinner was at the same age.

and I could be wrong, but I don't see him as a true centre. He's in the kane/kessel mode of "centre past the redline" player.

Preston_Mizzi
07-03-2014, 09:33 AM
bulking up is unnecessary. kid killed it on the combine tests. top-10 in four or five of them. 1st in a few of them. he'll get bigger even if stays up, and he'll be far far from the smallest player in the league.

he's much bigger than, say, Skinner was at the same age.

and I could be wrong, but I don't see him as a true centre. He's in the kane/kessel mode of "centre past the redline" player.
You see Kane/Kessel, I see Giroux.

trujaysfan
07-03-2014, 10:51 AM
You see Kane/Kessel, I see Giroux.

So he will either fight a cab driver or grope a police officer?

leafman101
07-03-2014, 10:55 AM
There is no reason he can't play center. He has to be comitted to doing more than just creating office, but with the way the guy skates, controls the puck and makes plays he can be a center in the long run.

JaysCyYoung
07-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Definitely reminds me of Kariya in that Nylander is more of a puck-possession and playing winger in terms of style than a natural centre. At his peak he's the type of guy that will post 30-50-80 type numbers because of his passing skills.

He can still score but I think he'll want to hang on to the puck and create more often. Other top prospects such as Jonathan Drouin are cut from the same cloth.

Pucklosopher
07-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I usually don't get too excited about prospects. But the enthusiasm around here for Nylander has got me hyped up now. Hope he ends up playing on the team next year.

rated
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM
The guys talent is beyond the junior level. He would learn nothing playing in the ohl for a year. He either makes the leafs or plays in the ahl

JohnnyHolmes
07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Ritchie > Nylander

leafman101
07-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Really? He sounds good. Good thing we didn't trade him for Bobby Ryan.

Volcanologist
07-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Ritchie > Nylander

Entirely possible...but it won't be because of skill level.

MindzEye
07-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Ritchie > Nylander

I'm sure Anaheim will love him.

JaysCyYoung
07-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Ritchie > Nylander

In a cake-eating contest, maybe.

LeafGm
07-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Poor Johnny. Is he going to have to resort to living vicariously through the prospect that the Senators lost out on in exchange for two seasons of Bobby Ryan?

Volcanologist
07-04-2014, 11:48 AM
"All signs point to yes"

zeke
07-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Ritchie is a slow fatty.

JaysCyYoung
07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
http://www.kruzfm.ca/files/2013/09/Nick-Ritchie1.jpg

zeke
07-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Is that jared cowen's fatter little brother?

JaysCyYoung
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Sure looks like he could be Little Donkey.

MindzEye
07-04-2014, 01:12 PM
My guess is that his eyes are roughly the same relation to each other as his parents were.

Pretty ****ing close.

JackBurton
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
http://www.kruzfm.ca/files/2013/09/Nick-Ritchie1.jpg

At least Nylander looks like a hot girl. This dude looks like a lesbian

MyNameIsJonas
07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Women's prison guard.

JackBurton
07-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Deckie007
07-04-2014, 01:24 PM
My guess is that his eyes are roughly the same relation to each other as his parents were.

Pretty ****ing close.

Made me snicker.

Montana
07-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Pretty ****ing close.

Is that a Mindz original, or a known dig I just haven't heard before?....cause that's quality line.

MindzEye
07-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Only original material for you guys, you're worth it.

MyNameIsJonas
07-04-2014, 06:07 PM
He looks like Nick Swardson with down syndrome

Leafin'
07-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Ritchie looks like he suffers from the downs.

Nylander looks like Ellen Degeneres with long hair.

trujaysfan
07-04-2014, 07:33 PM
He reminds me of this guy:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/buzzroom/2.jpg

leafman101
07-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Pre-Season rankings:
Button - 3rd
Bobo - 3rd
ISS - 3rd
McKeens - 1st

We got an absolute steal at 8. If the kid was playing in the CHL he might have gone first in this draft. But I guess his production against men doesn't look as good as Draisaitl and Bennett beating up on 18 year olds.

hockeylover
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfHbUtErA4

Disclaimer: Haven't watched these and can't because I'm at work but apparently they are of the Prospect Camp. I'm pretty sure I heard Nylander is #62.

hockeylover
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWlTd1oK4yg

Metalleaf
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Yeah he's 62.

zeke
07-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Pre-Season rankings:
Button - 3rd
Bobo - 3rd
ISS - 3rd
McKeens - 1st

We got an absolute steal at 8. If the kid was playing in the CHL he might have gone first in this draft. But I guess his production against men doesn't look as good as Draisaitl and Bennett beating up on 18 year olds.

yep.

Rielly was a steal at #5, and Nylander is as good as Rielly.

drewser
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Some better vids of Nylander from yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/qKQCpaBOap

http://instagram.com/p/qKRISGPRg6

MindzEye
07-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Kid has a serious set of hands

MindzEye
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
and yeah....for anyone worried about his conditioning/size/strength

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/494867431-william-nylander-does-his-fat-percentage-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXnzsAaov1A35N%2FaM5sqqbOGatL AzgAjnw3%2B75tVq6cndfxizvd3DJ7nkKnrTrPdN4YSQQr4s2K %2Bzu2Tk%2F3m%2FFfo%3D

He looks like he's going to end up a 190-195 pound brick shit house.

hockeylover
07-08-2014, 10:15 PM
He looks so young.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsC6cA6CUAEeEUF.jpg:large

zeke
07-08-2014, 10:28 PM
uh oh, cougar on the prowl!

MindzEye
07-08-2014, 10:48 PM
uh oh, cougar on the prowl!

Pretty sure Barb is in Snow Leopard territory now.

BG
07-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Not sure if it's been posted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrLlcbVCMAEC_-8.jpg:large

johnunit
07-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Pretty sure Barb is in Snow Leopard territory now.

51 and with blonde hair still. Cougar for another few years.

Habsy
07-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Nylander looks like Joffrey Baratheon's little brother.

Kritter
07-09-2014, 08:41 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrLlcbVCMAEC_-8.jpg:large

:lol

Awesome

number17
07-09-2014, 09:47 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrLlcbVCMAEC_-8.jpg:largeProbably the reason why he dropped to 8th ... LOL

MindzEye
07-09-2014, 10:18 AM
51 and with blonde hair still. Cougar for another few years.

Bottle blonde?

zeke
07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I wasn't referring to Barb.

hockeylover
07-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Ha, not my type.

Also: looks like he's 12.

hockeylover
07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
I like how during the draft fans of other teams were all like "HA Stupid Leafs are gonna pick Ritchie here!! Watch!!" and then they pick Nylander, who they previously liked but now is the next Robert Nilsson. Figures.

MyNameIsJonas
07-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Ha, not my type.

Also: looks like he's 12.

Give him a 45 point rookie season and you'll have him half in your mouth.

leafman101
07-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Peter Forsberg on Nylander:

Sweden continues to produce elite level players, in your mind, who is the next Swedish player that will turn some heads? I'm not talking about Oliver Ekman-Larssons but rather, developing prospects still in Sweden.

'We have a kid called William Nylander, he's got a lot of skill. If he gains a few pounds and becomes a little bit faster I think he's going to be really good. He has amazing hands and skill and if he keeps developing like he has... he's taken some huge leaps from the beginning of the year... I think he's going to be just fine.'

Deckie007
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Give him a 45 point rookie season and you'll have him half in your mouth.

Be more creepy.

hockeylover
07-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Peter Forsberg on Nylander:

Forsberg is assistant GM of Modo. Feel like if the Leafs did decide to have him play in Sweden next year, he'd be in good hands.

Deckie007
07-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Forsberg is assistant GM of Modo. Feel like if the Leafs did decide to have him play in Sweden next year, he'd be in good hands.

I really hope he ends up in the NHL or the Marlies...might actually go to a Marlies game to see him if he doesn't make the Leafs.

hockeylover
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I can't even remember the last time a highly drafted Swedish player played in the AHL in their post-draft year. I wonder if it just works out that way because they all have contracts when they're drafted and Nylander doesn't...?

hockeylover
07-09-2014, 12:44 PM
A little on Nylander and some on Loov, also from Modo.

If there is anyone with first-hand insight into top Maple Leafs draft pick William Nylander, it’s his Modo teammate and fellow Toronto prospect Viktor Loov.

“Nylander is good, I would say he is one of the most skilled players to ever come from Sweden,” Loov, a defenceman, said of Nylander. “He is a good skater, good with the stick, good offensively.”

The two are among 29 players in Toronto this week for the team’s prospects camp, where they learn nutrition, receive media training and get on the ice for drills.

When cameras are allowed in on Wednesday, Nylander is sure to draw a lot of attention. But it’s Loov (pronounced Love) who is getting a lot of the buzz.

“Loov is very talented,” said Jim Hughes, the team’s director of player development who is running the prospect camp this week. “He’s graceful on his skates. A big body that plays physical. He’s looking for open-ice hits. He moves the puck, but what separates him is his skating ability.

“He skates on top of the ice. He doesn’t lose any traction. He gains speed. He’s got great power, great explosion, great acceleration. It makes everything in his game easier because his skating is so strong.”

“Oh, I’m not good enough for the NHL yet,” said Loov, with typical Swedish humility. “I don’t know what’s going to happen in September. All I want to do is get better with my skating, with my skills, so I will be ready.”

Loov has been in town since May, getting to know the city and meet a few of his future teammates. He’ll stay through the team’s rookie camp in London and main camp in September.

What happens after that depends on what kind of camp Loov has.

At 6-foot-2 and 194 pounds, Loov likens his game to that of Alexander Edler of the Vancouver Canucks, an all-around defender but not someone who is flashy.

“I am a team-first guy,” said Loov. “If the coach wants me to skate with the puck, I will skate with the puck. If he wants me to hit, I will hit. Whatever the coach wants.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/08/maple_leaf_scouts_love_draft_pick_viktor_loov.html

worm
07-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Be more creepy.

I just assumed CB posted that.

leafman101
07-09-2014, 12:58 PM
“I am a team-first guy,” said Loov. “If the coach wants me to skate with the puck, I will skate with the puck. If he wants me to hit, I will hit. Whatever the coach wants.”

Bet they like hearing that.

Metalleaf
Man if Loov could become an Edler clone we'd be set on D in a few years....

Finn-Rielly
Loov-Gardiner
Percy-Granberg or whatever combination works best.

Deckie007
I just assumed CB posted that.

I've never met the Captain, so it's very possible they are the same person.

Metalleaf
07-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I can't see Jonas with frosted tips...

zeke
07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Marlies will be stacked on D this year with legit nhl potential.

Percy-granberg
Finn - Loov
Macwilliam - Nilsson
(Knodel)

trujaysfan
07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
I've never met the Captain, so it's very possible they are the same person.

Jonas and the captain being the same person would exceed the amount of terrible 1 person can be.

worm
07-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I can't see Jonas with frosted tips...

That is what he wants you to think.

number17
07-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Marlies will be stacked on D this year with legit nhl potential.

Percy-granberg
Finn - Loov
Macwilliam - Nilsson
(Knodel)1 of Percy, Granberg, or Finn (outside shot) will make the big team on opening night.

I can't see Franson being around on opening night, and the Leafs' D will look like ...

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Robidas
Percy/Granberg - Polak

leafman101
07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Even if franson is around one of them will make it.

zeke
07-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Keeping a guy like Holzer around as the 7th Dman might make more sense.

LeafOfFaith
07-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Not sure why people are higher on Percy than Finn.

Seems to me, Finn is ahead of Percy right now and is a much better bet for a spot on the opening night roster.

leafman101
07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Why? Percy was a top pairing guy in the AHL last year.

LeafOfFaith
07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Finn is just a flat out better all around player.

Percy has second pairing ceiling, imo.

LeafGm
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Not sure why people are higher on Percy than Finn.

Seems to me, Finn is ahead of Percy right now and is a much better bet for a spot on the opening night roster.
It's not exactly a mystery. Finn may be the better prospect going foward, but he's never played a single game of professional hockey.

Percy's a year older, he had a cup of coffee in the AHL two years ago along with a full season and long playoff run this year. Pretty reasonable to assume he's more NHL-ready at this point. And with our depth of pretty decent NHL prospects on defense, there's no need to be rushing Finn.

leafman101
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Having a higher ceiling doesn't make him better now.

LeafOfFaith
07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Percy has very limited offensive ability. And he's not known to be a premier shutdown guy either.

Finn has been a leader at every level, has offense to his game, is defensively sound.

I still think there's a good chance he'll surprise and make the roster before Percy does.

LeafGm
07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Percy has very limited offensive ability. And he's not known to be a premier shutdown guy either.

Finn has been a leader at every level, has offense to his game, is defensively sound.

I still think there's a good chance he'll surprise and make the roster before Percy does.
Yeah, again, no doubt that Finn's a better prospect. If he blows the doors off at camp, he could grab a spot. But Percy's age and pro experience definitely give him a leg up for this year's camp. It should be fun to see how it plays out at training camp, and I am really looking forward to finally getting to see Finn against some pro competition.

And getting back to Percy, yeah, he's not an offensive dynamo or bruising shut-down guy, but that's fine. From what I've seen of him, he looks like more of a Carl Gunnarsson type of defenseman.

leafman101
07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm not even sure that Finn is that much better of a prospect. Percy has the potential to be a Paul Martin esq top pairing defensive dman that can skate and move the puck. And that is exactly what he was on one of the best teams in the AHL last year as a 20 year old. At the same age Gunnar was a depth dman in Sweden.

Finn is a really intriguing prospect too, but its not like he is Morgan Rielly or anything. I'd say him and Percy are on similar levels, though Finn is probably slightly ahead due to offensive upside. Don't sleep on Percy though.

At the end of the day playing at a higher level defensively makes a guy more NHL ready.

zeke
07-09-2014, 11:08 PM
I love Finn, and more than Percy, but he's not like a Rielly or Kadri or Nylander - he could use some time in the AHL I think.

MindzEye
07-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Someone want to 'splain me how Percy has zero offensive upside? 29 point pace as a 20 yr old in the AHL isn't exactly disappointing

MyNameIsJonas
07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Someone want to 'splain me how Percy has zero offensive upside? 29 point pace as a 20 yr old in the AHL isn't exactly disappointing

People with the first name Stuart rarely score

MindzEye
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Not saying that Percy is on par with the skills of these examples....but

Duncan Keith (20-AHL) 25 points in 75 games
James Wisniewski (20-AHL) 25 points in 66 games
Brent Burns (20-AHL) 27 points in 73 games
Mark Giordano (20-AHL) 16 points in 66 games
Andrej Sekera (20-AHL) 19 points in 54 games
Ryan McDonagh (21-AHL) 8 points in 38 games

and that's just from the top 20 among NHL defenders last season.

MindzEye
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Then what's your excuse?

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 01:24 PM
People forgot that the AHL has become such a low-scoring league that there are instances of guys averaging 0.5 points per game who are being named to the league's All-Star Game squads now. The leading scorers are barely scrapping even a PPG.

Paradoxically enough, the NHL is the far more offensive league at the moment, so AHL production should be looked at with this dearth of offence in mind.

For a young 20 year-old defender to come in and put up 29 points in his first career 75 AHL regular-season games is impressive, especially considering the low-scoring environment in which he's playing.

Deckie007
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Your name should be Stuart.

*Damn, Mindz beat me to it*

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
**** all y'all, the Stuarts were straight up homeys:

http://www.picresize.com/images/rsz_john_de_critz_james_i_of_england_c_1605.jpg

Blueman
07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
People forgot that the AHL has become such a low-scoring league that there are instances of guys averaging 0.5 points per game who are being named to the league's All-Star Game squads now. The leading scorers are barely scrapping even a PPG.

Paradoxically enough, the NHL is the far more offensive league at the moment, so AHL production should be looked at with this dearth of offence in mind.

For a young 20 year-old defender to come in and put up 29 points in his first career 75 AHL regular-season games is impressive, especially considering the low-scoring environment in which he's playing.

Just to nitpick, he didn't score 29 points - that was his on pace. His total was something like 25.

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Just to nitpick, he didn't score 29 points - that was his on pace. His total was something like 25.

He did score 29 points.

I was combining the 1 goal and 4 points he got in his 5 other AHL games before last season.

Blueman
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
mmm kay, same point total as noted above stating 'on pace'.

Wanted to point it out because listing a bunch of stats with season totals and games played should not really be compared to someone's on pace total

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 02:00 PM
You didn't need to point anything out.

Stuart Percy's AHL 82 game pace total is 31.3 points based on the 29 points he has recorded in 76 career AHL regular-season games.

Blueman
07-10-2014, 02:19 PM
29 point pace as a 20 yr old in the AHL isn't exactly disappointing

Was referring to this post JCY

Blueman
07-10-2014, 02:21 PM
You didn't need to point anything out.

Stuart Percy's AHL 82 game pace total is 31.3 points based on the 29 points he has recorded in 76 career AHL regular-season games.
Also, you are now changing it to total games over 3 seasons and doing on pace? I don't get doing on pace for 2 years, let alone for 3 years.

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 02:22 PM
No, I'm just saying how he's performed in the AHL to date.

Blueman
07-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Still not following why you total up points over 3 seasons worth of games and then use it to make an 'on pace' for 1 season.

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 02:31 PM
What aren't you following?

We're discussing a young prospect and how he's played in the AHL. Why wouldn't you take into account his body of work? Are you ****ing nitpicking over four games?

Blueman
07-10-2014, 02:42 PM
What aren't you following?

We're discussing a young prospect and how he's played in the AHL. Why wouldn't you take into account his body of work? Are you ****ing nitpicking over four games?

I'm nitpicking of your choice to use 2 years, then deciding to add in the 3rd season (1game 1 pt) to base on pace over. On pace typically is based off of a specific season and what their total would be for that season if they played every game. Also, it looks like you added in the 3rd season to bloat the on pace numbers.

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
How is it bloating?

Why would you not include a stretch where Percy posted 4 points in 5 games when discussing whether he is NHL ready or not? That's asinine.

worm
07-10-2014, 03:49 PM
You guys argue over some dumb shit.

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
That is exceedingly dumb. I can't believe I'm explaining why it's important to take into account all production by a prospect in their first couple of pro appearances.

CH1
07-10-2014, 03:56 PM
William's father is Michael Nylander.

MindzEye
07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
William's father is Michael Nylander.

That can't possibly be true. I remember watching Michael Nylander play his entire NHL career, and I'm not nearly old enough to be watching his kid in the show.

Take this shit elsewhere buddy, I'm not buying what you're selling.

Deckie007
07-10-2014, 08:10 PM
That can't possibly be true. I remember watching Michael Nylander play his entire NHL career, and I'm not nearly old enough to be watching his kid in the show.

Take this shit elsewhere buddy, I'm not buying what you're selling.

http://www.zuguide.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

JaysCyYoung
07-10-2014, 08:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0&feature=kp

Volcanologist
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
The elder Nylander's only 41. he actually played with William for a bit.

MindzEye
07-11-2014, 12:00 AM
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/tmyk.gif

Jeremy
07-13-2014, 12:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4iHyyMTVoE

zeke
07-20-2014, 10:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEa9XVyCAAAVgUe.jpg

Deckie007
07-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Socks don't match the jersey.

LeafOfFaith
07-20-2014, 11:40 PM
I love this kid. You just kinda see winner in his face and in the way he speaks. He has this calm confidence.