PDA

View Full Version : Keeper League Discussion 2014-15 Season

Habsy
07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Hey all,

I know it's early but last year we ran out of time. We need to determine if we will be doing a live draft or an offline one. My vote is for Live, everyone looks at their schedules and picks a date and we punch it out.

Also, team participation.

Many of you couldn't find the time to be active last season, if you feel you don't have the time to set your lineups once a week and check email for trades then maybe we can look for someone to co-manage or take the team over?

Let's start hammering out how we're going to deal with league issues early so there are no arguments later.

Habspatrol
07-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Sounds good. It would be great to do the rookie draft early then have the regular draft done by say early September.

Deckie007
08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Suppose this is as good a place as any to put this, but I'm withdrawing from the league, so you'll need to find a new owner for my team.

Habspatrol
08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Suppose this is as good a place as any to put this, but I'm withdrawing from the league, so you'll need to find a new owner for my team.

Does this have anything to the fiasco going on in the football league?

Deckie007
08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Does this have anything to the fiasco going on in the football league?

Nah, remember I've mentioned it to you a few weeks ago? Or maybe that was another league. Anyways it doesn't have anything to do with football. I'm just in too many leagues and I don't pay enough attention to this one. Better an active manager take the team.

Habspatrol
08-21-2014, 04:16 PM
No... but I don't pay much attention to what the hell you say.

Rumpleforeskin
08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Nah, remember I've mentioned it to you a few weeks ago? Or maybe that was another league. Anyways it doesn't have anything to do with football. I'm just in too many leagues and I don't pay enough attention to this one. Better an active manager take the team.

in the baseball league Playing For Keeps 2014, did you want to give me full control over the team? I'm still a co-manager :)

I vote for a live draft, I'm pretty much good any day of the week, after 7 pm on weekdays

Habs4Life
08-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I am all over live please!

Sorry to see you quit Deck.

Habspatrol
08-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah I'd do live as well.

Deckie007
08-23-2014, 12:14 PM
in the baseball league Playing For Keeps 2014, did you want to give me full control over the team? I'm still a co-manager :)

I vote for a live draft, I'm pretty much good any day of the week, after 7 pm on weekdays

I want to, but I have no idea how. :P

I asked Axl to boot me a while ago, but he never did.

Rumpleforeskin
08-25-2014, 01:53 PM
when can we do the rookie draft?

Habspatrol
08-25-2014, 01:56 PM
I guess we have to replace deckie first. Any suggestions?

Habsy
08-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Sad to see Deckie bail. I like smack talking with him. There's always football I guess.

Fantasy Sports Junkie
08-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Live would be my choice and I am good to get this rookie draft going whenever also.

axlsalinger
08-27-2014, 12:45 AM
I want to, but I have no idea how. :P

I asked Axl to boot me a while ago, but he never did.

I don't see an option to remove a manager in the settings. There's one "transfer" option that looks like it could work, I'll need to get Rumple's email addy to try it.

As for hockey, I am fine with either a live or offline draft.

Deckie007
08-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Sad to see Deckie bail. I like smack talking with him. There's always football I guess.

:001_wub:

Habspatrol
08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Eason has informed me that he won't be returning either. Well have to find another replacement.

SlapShots
08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Who had the better team? Eason or Deckie?

Habs4Life
08-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Fair question!

Here is the rookie list:

Deckie007

C: Jonathan Drouin (TBay) 0/246
C: Jordan Schroeder (VAN) 31/246
C: Jeff Skinner (CAR) 188/246
C: Nick Bjugstad (FLA) 11/246
LW: Gabriel Landeskog (COL) 118/246
RW:Kyle Palmieri (ANA) 70/246
RW: Joel Armia (BUF) 0/246
RW: Maxim Trunev (MTL) 0/246
D: Jacob Trouba (WPG) 0/246
D: David Fischer (MTL) 0/246
D: Morgan Rielly (TOR) 0/246
D: Olli Maatta (PIT) 0/246
G: Chet Pickard (NAS) 0/120 GP

eason97

C: Rocco Grimaldi (FLA) 0/246
C: Akim Aliu (CHI) 7/246
C Scott Glennie (DAL) 1/246
C: Radek Faksa (DAL) 0/246
LW: Quinton Howden (FLA) 18/246
LW: Nikolai Prokhorkin (LA) 0/246
D: Thomas Hickey (NYI) 39/246
D: Seth Jones (NAS) 0/246
D: Erik Gudbranson (FLA) 104/246
D: Ryan Murray (CBJ) 0/246

Habs4Life
08-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Games played needs to be updated on that though

Habs4Life
08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
HP can you post final roster from end of last year?

Habspatrol
08-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Deckie's rookies look better.

Here's eason's regular lineup.

Kevin Bieksa
Matthew Carle
Zdeno Chara
Ryane Clowe
Steve Downie
Mikhail Grabovski
Jiri Hudler
Erik Johnson
Seth Jones
Vincent Lecavalier
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin
Ryan Malone
Brad Marchand
Zach Parise
Kris Russell
Jakob Silfverberg
Jason Spezza

Brian Elliott
Marc-Andre Fleury
Henrik Lundqvist

Habspatrol
08-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Also Deckie's draft pick looks to be top 3 while eason's will be middle of the pack.

SlapShots
08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Another question- in what categories are points accumulated?

Habspatrol
08-27-2014, 04:54 PM
It's a roto league. I sent you the categories in PM.

Habspatrol
08-29-2014, 03:15 PM
With Eason not returning and it seems Cheech may not return I'm thinking we should consider contracting 2 teams.

Habs4Life
08-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... that sucks.

Cheech surprises me. He was active, what happened?

Habspatrol
08-29-2014, 03:39 PM
He's busy. I asked him a couple days ago if he was going to return. He replied this morning by saying he has to think about it and decide if he has enough time.

Habs4Life
08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
http://www.financialsense.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/desktop/users/u771/images/2012/lloyd-300x300.jpg

axlsalinger
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Give it some time, this is a hockey board, should be able to find a couple of replacements.

Habspatrol
08-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Kritter is taking over Eason's team... so that just leaves Cheech. We'll see if he's returning or if we need to find one last replacement.

Habsy
08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Cheech has a pretty decent team too.

Habspatrol
08-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Kritter has asked if he can take it over... and I'm sure Slapshots would like a crack at it too.

Maybe if we end up with 3 new managers they can do an "expansion draft." Take all 3 teams and prospects, put them in a pool and they can draft them. Seems like the fairest way to do it.

Whoever gets first pick in the expansion draft gets the latest of the 3 available picks in the rookie and FA draft and whoever gets 3rd in the expansion draft gets the top pick... and obviously 2nd gets the 2nd picks.

Kritter
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM
That would work.

Da commish be smart.

Habsy
08-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Kritter has asked if he can take it over... and I'm sure Slapshots would like a crack at it too.

Maybe if we end up with 3 new managers they can do an "expansion draft." Take all 3 teams and prospects, put them in a pool and they can draft them. Seems like the fairest way to do it.

Whoever gets first pick in the expansion draft gets the latest of the 3 available picks in the rookie and FA draft and whoever gets 3rd in the expansion draft gets the top pick... and obviously 2nd gets the 2nd picks.

That is a good idea. That probably should have been done in Football but we were tight on time there. If they start the "replacement draft" now they have plenty of time to complete. The only issue would be draft order but there are sites that will allow you to randomly generate an order.

Obviously the draft would only be for the six players they would use as keepers. It would expedite things.

Kritter
08-30-2014, 12:49 PM
What about the prospect pool?

Habsy
08-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Good point. Would have to hold two drafts. One for prospects and one for keepers.

In this league a player remains your prospect until he's played 246 games. Keep that in mind.

Habspatrol
08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
That is a good idea. That probably should have been done in Football but we were tight on time there.
Good call, it would have been good.

If they start the "replacement draft" now they have plenty of time to complete. The only issue would be draft order but there are sites that will allow you to randomly generate an order.
Yeah I have a draft lottery generator I'll use.

Obviously the draft would only be for the six players they would use as keepers. It would expedite things.
Excellent idea. We can make it 6 rounds plus we'll add up the rookies and divide by 3, add it to the 6 rounds and that's how many total rounds they can do. If they want to take a rookie over a regular player then that's up to them. But they max out at 6 non rookie keepers.

Kritter
08-30-2014, 01:57 PM
If we do have all this drafting, I think, at least for me for the next several weeks, would be better if it werent a live draft unless the day works perfectly out for me. I am out of town on business most of next week. The week after that, I am at least somewhat flexible. But from the 12th to the 22nd, i'n doing trade shows and can only do a live draft if the time is right and the stars all align right yada yada yada.

Habspatrol
08-30-2014, 01:57 PM
What about the prospect pool?

Good point. Would have to hold two drafts. One for prospects and one for keepers.

In this league a player remains your prospect until he's played 246 games. Keep that in mind.

I'm good either way but I figured they could just make their own strategy but picking in whatever order they felt like.

Kritter
08-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Excellent idea. We can make it 6 rounds plus we'll add up the rookies and divide by 3, add it to the 6 rounds and that's how many total rounds they can do. If they want to take a rookie over a regular player then that's up to them. But they max out at 6 non rookie keepers.

I think it should be a draft for the NHL guys and a separate draft for the prospects.

Habsy
08-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I think the winner of the first pick in the prospects pool should get the third pick in the keeper or vice-versa. Only fair.

Habspatrol
08-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah for sure.

Cheech
08-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the wait, I'm, in the middle of a move. I'd like to return, but if its going to be a live draft I'm probably out. The thing I loved about this league was the offline draft, and seeing as I probably wont make a live daft since I am moving, I dont want to get stuck with crap.

Habspatrol
08-31-2014, 01:33 PM
So there's likely no way for you to make it to a live draft but you'll be able to monitor an offline draft for like a week?

Cheech
08-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Offline draft I can access at anytime via my phone, but online draft, I dont even know if I'll have internet once I get there and I just hate online drafts. I dont want to be in this league if the same thing as with the baseball keeper league happens, cause I just dont care to look after a team I didnt draft. I do have a question, why is this league being switched over to live draft? We've always had offline drafts and thats the way it should stay. Its a big reason I loved this league.

Habsy
08-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Most people are the other way around, devote an hour to a live draft and move on. I understand your situation though.

Habs4Life
08-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Online draft is way better IMO. Not sure how you can not set aside 1 hour to do it. It makes infinitely more sense to me than constantly checking the site for a week or so.

The Madhatter
08-31-2014, 11:09 PM
I agree with the above, I much prefer the live draft and setting aside one night and get this done. If the offline draft only took a week then it wouldn't be bad but it seems the last couple years have been much longer and we ended up having a free for all in the free agent pool when the season was about to start.

Do see where Cheech coming from when got stuff on the go not knowing if one specific time can be pinned down. Putting my vote to the one night vs. checking the page every few hours for multiple weeks (including the rookie draft).

Habspatrol
08-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Last year we ran out of time because some posters were not checking in very often.

Cheech
09-01-2014, 01:30 AM
If we can find a time that works for me too, I am in, but if we can't and go with an online draft, I'll say goodbye to this league. I still think that since we started this league with an offline draft of should stay that way. I joined this league and put hundreds of hours into it and changing it to online kinda ruins it for me. I understand that people prefer online draft leagues, but if you don't like offline draft leagues, then don't join.

Habsy
09-01-2014, 08:54 AM
You have to be malleable Cheech. People's situations change. You can't expect something that worked for someone five years ago to still work for them today. I don't mind finding a time that works for you, we'll see if we can accommodate. We can also take a vote for online and offline. I've opened a new company and I just know that there will be times I cannot get to the site for a pick. There will be others that cannot make their picks promptly and we will be waiting 24 hours for someone. If people are cool with waiting on picks then I'm cool with offline. My preference is still online though.

Habspatrol
09-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Offline drafts stress me out. I'm always chasing people down to get their picks.

Cheech take a look back to last season. Most of your picks I had to chase you down to get your picks so I could post them. And it was still like 1-5 hours for most of your picks.

Cheech
09-01-2014, 07:24 PM
That's cause I like to do my research and really look into my picks instead of being pressured and having up make up my mind in 1.5 minutes, plus then it's hard to see who's still available and you always tend to miss someone that you wanted to pick cause they are buried in the rankings.

Habs4Life
09-01-2014, 09:09 PM
:facepalm

Cheech
09-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Can't find the smilie with the middle finger up, so this will have to do ..!..

Habspatrol
09-01-2014, 10:41 PM
You couldn't find this one? :dita:

The Madhatter
09-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Can do your research before the draft and then you have it all when it is going on :smilewinkgrin:

If it's offline I good for it and there may be times where I won't be able to check every couple hours but if we doing it offline I suggest it gets going earlier. Online at night I usually can make it work anywhere. If a few guys can throw some dates that work and we get something booked lets do it towards the last few days before the NHL season starts and guys can take as much time they need to get set.

madpuck
09-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Live definitely for me, the offline just doesn't work well for me as we all live in different time zones, I'm on the road 60 hours a week minimum and it's a pain in the ass checking in to see where we are plus no research on the road is possible. I understand your opinion Cheech but I agree with the others and HP invests too much of his own time to save us time. The only other thing is you said unless we find a favorable time for you you'll pull out?? Well that should be decided now really so we can find another owner rather than you backing out at the last minute and leaving us stuck especially if we are going to go with an expansion draft it's only fair that if you need to be replaced the new owner walks into the same scenario the other 3 do. We all have a life to live and this is for fun and no money. So I ask what say you? We need to know this before the rookie, expansion rookie and expansion keeper drafts can be held...

Cheech
09-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I've been in this league many years and I don't want to leave, it's the only hockey league I am in and it used to be an offline draft. It pisses me off that it's changing. Seeing as this league is supposed to be offline draft, I think it's only fair for me that if you are going to change it that it be a time that will fit for me. Okay, my answer is: I'll stay in this league, if I can make the draft I'll look after my team, if you make it a time I can't make I will keep my team but not do a thing until next year. Since you change the way therapies runs, you better make it a time that fits everyone, especially someone who's been in this league for many years. But all in all this is still ****ing bullshit.

Habspatrol
09-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Shit changes in this and other leagues all the time. We try to accommodate everyone as much as possible but sometimes we can't accommodate everyone. It's not like the league was built around an offline draft and it was the selling point to get everyone to sign up. It just happened to be that we did an offline draft cause that's what worked for the majority at the time. Things and managers have changed over the years and we've had a fair bit of issues with the offline drafts over the years and last year we weren't even able to complete the draft in time... and to be honest I've become a lot busier at work and with home renos and whatnot that I don't have the time to monitor the draft constantly and collect lists then check lists and or text/PM/email/smoke signal everyone to let them know that they're up and then send them a list of the top 5 players available at each position. Seriously, it's a night and day job for a week for me when we do an offline draft.

That said, I'll do an offline draft but I'm just making my picks and that's it. I'll edit the thread too but I'm not going to get involved in babysitting the entire draft anymore.

Habsy
09-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Take the vote. Majority rules. It is what it is.

The Madhatter
09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Take the vote. Majority rules. It is what it is.

:thumbup1:

madpuck
09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Cheech, Sadly i expected you come come back huffy and puffy but I hoped for a calmer reaction to our opinions. FYI there are several of us that have been in this league since we started it. Let cooler heads prevail, at least it is being discussed and an appropriate vote being done instead of just changed. We all make this work as a group as best we can.

Habs4Life
09-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I've been in this league many years and I don't want to leave, it's the only hockey league I am in and it used to be an offline draft. It pisses me off that it's changing. Seeing as this league is supposed to be offline draft, I think it's only fair for me that if you are going to change it that it be a time that will fit for me. Okay, my answer is: I'll stay in this league, if I can make the draft I'll look after my team, if you make it a time I can't make I will keep my team but not do a thing until next year. Since you change the way therapies runs, you better make it a time that fits everyone, especially someone who's been in this league for many years. But all in all this is still ****ing bullshit.

I am hoping that statement was made out of frustration.

Habspatrol
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Well yeah... if that were the case we'd have to find a replacement.

Habsy
09-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I traded my second round pick not my first Ray.

Habsy
09-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Always gotta keep my eye on you.

Rumpleforeskin
09-06-2014, 08:47 AM
it was a 2nd, but I'll take the first :cheers2:

Habspatrol
09-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh no, I suck again... I thought I did do the 2nd.

Habspatrol
09-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Also, don't we always do rookie drafts in a non-snake format?

Nope... I was wondering the same thing. I went back and saw the last 2 rookie drafts and both were snake drafts.

axlsalinger
09-07-2014, 03:32 PM
I seem to recall having this same discussion a while back, might've been this league last year lol. Or it could have been a different league, I can't remember. Not a huge deal, seems odd though since we do it that way in most leagues (ie. snake in FA, non-snake in rookie).

Habs4Life
09-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Would need to institute a non snake in advance. I do suggest it. It makes no sense to snake.

Vote?

The Madhatter
09-07-2014, 04:56 PM
I vote rookie non-snake.

Rumpleforeskin
09-07-2014, 05:28 PM
vote for non snake for rookie draft

SlapShots
09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
So, using me as the example, non snake would have me selecting 2nd in the second round- correct? Making it linear. A snake draft would follow the selections as outlined in post 1 in this thread. Hmm...I so benefit from a linear draft.

axlsalinger
09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
We definitely want everybody to vote for what is best for the league, not their individual teams. But yeah, the idea we came up with a few years ago (and implemented in most of our leagues), was that the rookie draft is set up to help the weakest teams, therefore it makes sense to do it via a non-snake format. Whereas the FA draft is more about this year, and a snake draft is the fairest method there.

Habs4Life
09-07-2014, 06:30 PM
So, using me as the example, non snake would have me selecting 2nd in the second round- correct? Making it linear. A snake draft would follow the selections as outlined in post 1 in this thread. Hmm...I so benefit from a linear draft.

To be clear.. this would be for future drafts...not this draft ;)

Cheech
09-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I say non snake.

madpuck
09-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Non snake

madpuck
09-08-2014, 08:49 PM
One other topic I'd like to raise is that when we first started this league we agreed upon having our FI Nicknames somehow in the team name to help keep us straight. With the team changes the last few years I'm finding it more confusing figuring out who each team is run by. It's been on my mind more so since last year but keep forgetting to bring it up. I don't remember if we made it a rule per say but I know we all agreed at the time it was a good idea for identifying each other especially when yahoo ID's for most do not match any FI nicks. Just food for thought

Habs4Life
09-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Not a bad idea. I just hyphenated mine.

The Madhatter
09-08-2014, 11:20 PM
Good thought, will make an alteration to team name.

SlapShots
09-09-2014, 06:41 AM
One other topic I'd like to raise is that when we first started this league we agreed upon having our FI Nicknames somehow in the team name to help keep us straight. With the team changes the last few years I'm finding it more confusing figuring out who each team is run by. It's been on my mind more so since last year but keep forgetting to bring it up. I don't remember if we made it a rule per say but I know we all agreed at the time it was a good idea for identifying each other especially when yahoo ID's for most do not match any FI nicks. Just food for thought
FWIW, I like this as well. You guys are pretty familiar with one another and still getting confused? Imagine the challenge of being a newbie?

Habspatrol
09-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Fair point. Changed my name.

Habsy
09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I've always had my nick in my team name, I thought we had agreed with that long ago as well. Now I think I'll remove it, gotta be different.

SlapShots
09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
What's the number limit for rookie keepers?

Habsy
09-09-2014, 05:28 PM
no limit.

As long as the player has not played his 246th game he is a keeper.

We work on the honor system. Team owners cannot add a rookie keeper owned by another owner to his team.

Keep in mind though that any rookie keeper on waivers can be claimed once he's played his 246th game. So maybe you have a guy that is a keeper at the start of the season but by the middle of the season he's eligible.

SlapShots
09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
So, a rookie player that hits his 246th game midway in a season has to be one of the six keepers at the start of a season? For example, if I have Landeskog and he hits game 246 in Feb, I keep him now or can I drop a keeper in Feb to keep him? Thus if I do not "save" landeskog now, will I lose him in Feb?

Not trying to be obtuse...

The Madhatter
09-09-2014, 06:59 PM
So, a rookie player that hits his 246th game midway in a season has to be one of the six keepers at the start of a season? For example, if I have Landeskog and he hits game 246 in Feb, I keep him now or can I drop a keeper in Feb to keep him? Thus if I do not "save" landeskog now, will I lose him in Feb?

You are allowed your 6 keepers to start the season as well your rookies who have yet to hit the 246 game mark. In your example if Landeskog is to hit that mark in Feb and if he is sitting on the yahoo free agent list and not your roster he no longer is protected as a rookie keeper and any manager is able to pick him up. If he is on your roster you don't have to worry about anything until the end of the season, where at that time he will need to be one of your 6 (7 if win) keepers. Once the season starts who you designated as one of your 6 keeper players is really irrelevant as they don't get the same benefit of being able to drop at any point throughout the season without being free game for the other managers.

Habspatrol
09-09-2014, 07:06 PM

It's better to ask lotsbof questions and be clear on the rules.

I think Madhatter pretty much covered it. Make sense?

SlapShots
09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
got it- thanks guys! appreciate the patience as well!

The Madhatter
09-09-2014, 07:40 PM
:thumbsup(22):

Cheech
09-11-2014, 02:31 AM
Tough year for me, Taylor Hall, Logan Couture, Evander Kane and Oliver Ekman-Larsson all grew up!

Habspatrol
09-11-2014, 08:48 AM
That's a lot of good players graduating.