• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL.com Hurricanes Review - 30 teams in 30 days.

And Francis really still believes that goaltender injuries did the Canes in last season? Amazing. I hope Peters starts every time the Caps play the Canes, and I hope he gets a shutout every time!

More on this series of articles later, but I am also tired of this repeated line of revisionist history we keep getting from the org themed on "oh, our two goalies went down" as the reason we missed instead of the more germane and distasteful ones they don't care to discuss. It's disrespectful of the fan base. We know better.

For starters, let's take a look at the save percentages of our goalies last season, bearing in mind that the NHL average is around 0.914.

Yes, Peters had a 7-9 win/loss record, but nothing shabby about his 0.919 SV%. Yeah, 'dem rebounds. But once our defense woke up and started to corral the occasional one of those, things got better.

Cam's 10-12 win/loss experience was about the same as Peters. It sure wasn't all on goalie injuries. We sucked in just so many ways, most of them at the team-wide level.

I'm sorry to disagree, but it was goalie whose name will not be mentioned fault. The reasoning is faultless.
Note the canes record of 36-35. Then look at this goalie. His record was 7-9. The two first string goalies had to carry him in order to get a positive won/loss record. If the goalie had won his share, basically one game and had a record of 8-8 the canes would have not only competed for the division title but we'd still be celebrating.
So, it's good riddance to that goalie and watch our tandem including a Stanley cup winner who, single handily, has won over twice as many games in the last two years as the very bad goalie.
Yes, with the additions our new GM has made we can plan that parade route. Anyone wanna be on the parade committee?
This time the route needs to come through Cary.

Yes, Peters had a 7-9 win/loss record, but nothing shabby about his 0.919 SV%. Yeah, 'dem rebounds. But once our defense woke up and started to corral the occasional one of those, things got better.

The other thing on Peters' numbers is they're skewed by the Godawful start he got off to. He lost his first 5 starts and his Save % was .889. To get it to the .919 he finished at required some otherworldly performances. His first 5 and last 3 performances weren't good and that's what the front office chooses to remember. But the 13 in between were as good as we've seen in a long time.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471251&season=20132014&view=log

You cannot pull the wool over these fans' eyes! great points about pete dawg.
Also, you cannot blame us fans for being very cynical in the fact that the team not only has taken this position, but is betting on Cam Ward actually turning his career around, namely - staying healthy for a change. Of all the things that 'could' have been trade deadline through till this off season, not being able ot trade Ward will probably come back to bite us. When he goes down with a back injury, not much leverage to trade him.

None of coach Peters' comments about the teams' issues pertained to goaltending. As long as HE is focused on fixing the things that we all know are broken I can ignore the BS.

James, it takes two to make a trade.
If you were GM of some team, would you take cward? And what would you trade in return and what would the canes have to kick in?

James, it takes two to make a trade.
If you were GM of some team, would you take cward? And what would you trade in return and what would the canes have to kick in?

If I had cap space, two goalies that combined are costing less than 6 - who are one or both under performing? I'd take a chance on Ward.

Personally, eating anything less than the potential buyout amount on Cam is a win. So if you end up eating, I dunno, up to half of his contract AND you get a decent player in return who costs a similar amount? I'd say that's about as good as you'd get.

I cz t see a GM giving up,a decent player for a goalie that has won a total of 17 games the last two years.
I'd give up overpriced drek and make them eat half of cwards contract and I'd eat none of mine.

More on this series of articles later, but I am also tired of this repeated line of revisionist history we keep getting from the org themed on "oh, our two goalies went down" as the reason we missed instead of the more germane and distasteful ones they don't care to discuss. It's disrespectful of the fan base. We know better.

For starters, let's take a look at the save percentages of our goalies last season, bearing in mind that the NHL average is around 0.914.

Cam's 10-12 win/loss experience was about the same as Peters. It sure wasn't all on goalie injuries. We sucked in just so many ways, most of them at the team-wide level.

Well, if you project Khudobin's record out to 82 games, the Canes would have had 94 points and made the playoffs. So, yeah, the problem was that Khudobin wasn't healthy enough to go every night.

I cz t see a GM giving up,a decent player for a goalie that has won a total of 17 games the last two years.
I'd give up overpriced drek and make them eat half of cwards contract and I'd eat none of mine.

Yeah ... probably should replace the words decent player with "either a prospect or a pick." And that might be shooting too high.

Back