Habsy
08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2104280

Interesting.

CTheBigPicture
08-06-2014, 10:48 AM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2104280

Interesting.

"When it comes to popularity, fans perceive the Montreal Canadiens to be the most popular, followed by the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Alouettes."

:thinking::thinking:

Habsy
08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Hey, second ain't bad. :)

CTheBigPicture
08-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Hey, second ain't bad. :)

;d

Would've accepted 2nd place if this "internationally-recognized research firm" didn't think the Riders are more popular than the Leafs!

leafman101
08-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Anyone else ever been in Regina on a game day? I buy that they are "pound-for-pound" the most popular team in Canada.

Deckie007
08-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Anyone else ever been in Regina on a game day? I buy that they are "pound-for-pound" the most popular team in Canada.

+1

I have tonnes of FB friends from Saskatchewan and on game days my feed is littered with Roughrider posts about the game, going to the game, etc. They are hard core, real fans.

Volcanologist
08-06-2014, 11:03 AM
none of that means they are more popular than the leafs though.

Leafin'
08-06-2014, 11:04 AM
... they also have nothing else in Saskatchewan.

LeafGm
08-06-2014, 11:10 AM
From the bottom of that article:

About Insightrix Research

Insightrix Research Inc. (Insightrix.com), established in 2001 and based in Saskatoon, is a full-service market research firm that uses a range of qualitative and quantitative market research techniques to provide effective, innovative solutions. Insightrix has achieved the Gold Seal certification from the Marketing Research Intelligence Association (MRIA), the country's market research association.

...just a coincidence, I'm sure.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:18 AM

No competition from other franchises and little other competition for your entertainment dollar.

I don't necessarily disagree with the statement you made, so much as believe that it should come with 6 provisos and a 3 paragraph disclaimer.

CTheBigPicture
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM
From the bottom of that article:

...just a coincidence, I'm sure.

and from the top of the article:

"PRESS RELEASE"

I am sure the company is unbiased calling themselves an internationally recognized firm!

worm
08-06-2014, 11:19 AM

There is nothing else in the country that compares to game day in Sask. It is insane.

And Riders are third...not second.

This isnt new though as the are also third in merch sales as well (yes even before the recent grey cup).

worm
08-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Because apparently some of you didnt read it.

"Toronto Maple Leafs, also of the NHL, ranked second, Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (CFL) was third and Toronto Blue Jays, Canada's lone team in Major League Baseball (MLB) was fourth."

leafman101
08-06-2014, 11:20 AM
none of that means they are more popular than the leafs though.

No, of course not:

""Results were weighted to accurately represent the population in each metro area as a percentage of the national population and by the proportion of followers of each sports league in those areas."

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2104280#ixzz39csmOV79"

That is the only reason anyone is above the Leafs, including the Habs.

Habspatrol
08-06-2014, 11:21 AM

I don't doubt that for a second. It's ridiculous in Saskatchewan. Even here 5 and a half hours away in Meadow Lake it's all Riders all the time. All the stores have tons of Riders merch and everyone has Riders flags and license plates.

If it's a per capita in their province type poll I wouldn't have been surprised at all if the Riders were the most popular team in Canada.

worm
08-06-2014, 11:28 AM
I know tons of people with season tickets that drive 5 or so hours for every game....sure it is only once a week.

These same people drive the 8+ hours to watch the riders in Calgary and Edmonton as well.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:29 AM
There is nothing else in the country that compares to game day in Sask. It is insane.

And Riders are third...not second.

This isnt new though as the are also third in merch sales as well (yes even before the recent grey cup).

Still have a hard time buying it when the Toronto Blue Jays have done 1.1 million in ratings a few times this season, and the entire population of Sask. is 1.033

LeafGm
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I know tons of people with season tickets that drive 5 or so hours for every game....sure it is only once a week.

These same people drive the 8+ hours to watch the riders in Calgary and Edmonton as well.
How rabid is the CFL following in Calgary or Edmonton?

I honestly don't know a single person who gives two shits about the Argos.

worm
08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Still have a hard time buying it when the Toronto Blue Jays have done 1.1 million in ratings a few times this season, and the entire population of Sask. is 1.033

Do not forget to count half of Alberta. :p

Either way it is quite impressive what the Riders do.

Any of my family events are like "Hey how are the kids?...now what about putting in *random 3rd stringer* for the 3rd down gamble?" Then if there is time we talk habs. :)

Metalleaf
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Sounds boring.

worm
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Terrible.

Think of the Riders as habs/montreal...and Edmonton/Calgary as Ottawa. It is true that the Riders are the only option. I do not think I have ever met somebody from Sask that isnt a Riders fan.

Argos are pretty much known as the Panthers of the CFL.

worm
08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Sounds boring.

It is like forum ice for the Riders.

But yes...most of the time it is beyond me. I am a the pronger84 of my family. :p

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Any of my family events are like "Hey how are the kids?...now what about putting in *random 3rd stringer* for the 3rd down gamble?" Then if there is time we talk habs. :)

As someone who has spent a fair bit of time in Edmonton and Calgary, I don't see the "half of Alberta" you're talking about, and those 2 cities make up 2/3rds the people in the province. I'm sure they're a big deal in Lloyd, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, etc....but after spending the last 6-7 years in the western part of the country, I just don't see it.

worm
08-06-2014, 12:01 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1917328_221702205729_4975760_n.jpg
2009 Grey Cup in Calgary....home game on the road. And yes that is the endzone that the kick/too many men thing happened.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/156711_10150102297440730_5496461_n.jpg
Apparently Rider fans do this every year. Join the end of the grey cup parade. - Edmonton Grey Cup

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/995234_10152061756375730_933397860_n.jpg
In the streets after the grey cup win in regina.

worm
08-06-2014, 12:03 PM
As someone who has spent a fair bit of time in Edmonton and Calgary, I don't see the "half of Alberta" you're talking about, and those 2 cities make up 2/3rds the people in the province. I'm sure they're a big deal in Lloyd, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, etc....but after spending the last 6-7 years in the western part of the country, I just don't see it.

Yes...because I literally meant half.

Btw the other half is from Newfoundland.

Habspatrol
08-06-2014, 12:13 PM

I know in Winnipeg the Bombers are fairly popular. You see a fair bit of hats, shirts ect... but it's probably like a 1/4 of what you see in SK for the Riders... maybe less.

JackBurton
08-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Western Canada CFL is very popular.

I miss having two Roughriders in the CFL. I loved Martin Short's bits about watching a Roughriders/Rough riders game.

CH1
08-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I've run into a sea of Riders jerseys a few times in downtown Toronto (when their team is in town) Never seen that same concentration from a visiting team, including Yanks and Bosox.

worm
08-06-2014, 01:37 PM
What about Habs?

CH1
08-06-2014, 01:45 PM
What about Habs?

More Habs jerseys overall but Rider fans travel in larger swarms. And every one of them seems suited up.No escaping them when they're in town.

LeafGm
08-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Terrible.

Think of the Riders as habs/montreal...and Edmonton/Calgary as Ottawa. It is true that the Riders are the only option. I do not think I have ever met somebody from Sask that isnt a Riders fan.

Argos are pretty much known as the Panthers of the CFL.
That's probably being generous too.

Hell, they can't even find a stadium to play in.

Habsy
08-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Toronto will eventually get an NFL team. It makes the most sense. It's a stronger market than half the existing ones. NFL in Toronto would explode.

Of course, L.A. doesn't have a team so they might be first. The expansion fees will be ridiculous though.

hockeylover
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Five key brand metrics were measured including first brand that comes to mind, their level of respect for team brands as well as their perception of the most loyal fans, team popularity and stadium atmosphere, Caceres said.

Shocking.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Yes...because I literally meant half.

Btw the other half is from Newfoundland.

I guess 5% doesn't have the same ring to it eh?

worm
08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I guess 5% doesn't have the same ring to it eh?

Stop trying to make up for the fact you took it literally.

We all have off days.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Stop trying to make up for the fact you took it literally.

We all have off days.

I didn't take it literally. I did however point out that in my experience your hyperbole was bullshit though.

Deckie007
08-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Toronto will eventually get an NFL team. It makes the most sense. It's a stronger market than half the existing ones. NFL in Toronto would explode.

Of course, L.A. doesn't have a team so they might be first. The expansion fees will be ridiculous though.

It's interesting because people around the NFL like Mike Florio actually think the NFL just uses LA as a boogeyman to scare local governments into accepting sweetheart stadium deals in fear of the team moving to LA. It's not like people in LA don't watch the NFL, they just don't have a local team. Seems to be Trojan territory anyways. London seems to be where the NFL really wants to go.

worm
08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I didn't take it literally. I did however point out that in my experience your hyperbole was bullshit though.

Congrats. You pointed out the obvious.

worm
08-06-2014, 04:00 PM
It's interesting because people around the NFL like Mike Florio actually think the NFL just uses LA as a boogeyman to scare local governments into accepting sweetheart stadium deals in fear of the team moving to LA. It's not like people in LA don't watch the NFL, they just don't have a local team. Seems to be Trojan territory anyways. London seems to be where the NFL really wants to go.

Pretty sure Ari Gold is bringing a team to LA.

CH1
08-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Pretty sure Ari Gold is bringing a team to LA.

this belongs in the movie thread
#spoileralert

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Congrats. You pointed out the obvious.

So.... You're new here?

worm
08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
So.... You're new here?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/52088290.jpg

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-06-2014, 06:41 PM

Only reason I don't want the NFL in Toronto is because the Toronto based media would start telling me it is my duty as a Canadian to cheer for them as they are "Canada's Team".

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-06-2014, 06:43 PM

ever discuss how to count to 12?

hockeylover
08-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Have a feeling the bean counters at MLSE laugh at this little poll about "brand strength".

leafman101
08-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Of course. Forbes just ranked the Leafs the 26th most valuable sports franchise in the world at $1.15 billion. They were the first and only NHL team in the top 50, and only 6 non-NFL/Soccer teams were ranked ahead of them (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Lakers and Bulls).

The biggest sports brand in Canada isn't much of a competition.

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Value and Brand are not the same thing.

You guys make a lot of money, no one is denying that. CanadienFan's argument has always been we have as many if not more fans and are more popular.

hockeylover
08-06-2014, 07:27 PM
People never actually read the article to see what the survey actually is though.

It appears they asked people what their perception was of the Leafs' popularity, arena atmosphere(!!), whether they respect their team. Should be no surprise the Leafs wouldn't finish first with that criteria.

Also, Habs fans "more loyal" than Leaf fans? Ha. No.

CH1
08-06-2014, 07:33 PM
hot dogs are better at Bell Centre

leafman101
08-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Well thats the thing, value and brand aren't the same thing. But the best brands have the most value.

The Maple Leafs have the most valuable brand in Canadian sports, by a ton. Thats really the only way to measure the value of a brand. Not a phone survey of 2000 people that is prorated by market size.

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Wal Mart doesn't have as good a brand as say Nordstrom but it is probably more valuable.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Value and Brand are not the same thing.

Ummm..yeah, it kind of is. I mean, we can argue the finer semantics of it but there absolutely is a strong connection between brand strength and franchise value.

You guys make a lot of money, no one is denying that. CanadienFan's argument has always been we have as many if not more fans and are more popular.

Then why don't you make as much money?

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Wal Mart doesn't have as good a brand as say Nordstrom but it is probably more valuable.

Wal Mart is a far stronger, far more recognizable brand than Nordstroms. You clearly don't know what the **** you're talking about.

You're confusing the prestige of a brand with brand strength.

MindzEye
08-06-2014, 11:12 PM
People never actually read the article to see what the survey actually is though.

It appears they asked people what their perception was of the Leafs' popularity, arena atmosphere(!!), whether they respect their team. Should be no surprise the Leafs wouldn't finish first with that criteria.

Also, Habs fans "more loyal" than Leaf fans? Ha. No.

Remember when their attendance dropped during the lean years?

lecoqsportif
08-06-2014, 11:36 PM

Sold out Michigan Stadium for Man U and Real Madrid must have gotten their attention.

And basketball is (much) bigger in Europe than the NFL.

The NFL is the undisputed king in the US, but the world is a big place.

lecoqsportif
08-06-2014, 11:37 PM
The rest of this thread is cack. Early August, I suppose.

Deckie007
08-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Sold out Michigan Stadium for Man U and Real Madrid must have gotten their attention.

And basketball is (much) bigger in Europe than the NFL.

The NFL is the undisputed king in the US, but the world is a big place.

Which is why they want in London. May have a hell of a time attracting FAs there.

Habsy
08-07-2014, 09:31 AM
The rest of this thread is cack. Early August, I suppose.

Using the word cack is cack.

TimHorton
08-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Seems to be Trojan territory anyways

As a UCLA fan this is by far the most obscene statement in this whole thread!

Deckie007
08-07-2014, 10:17 AM
As a UCLA fan this is by far the most obscene statement in this whole thread!

Little bro syndrome?

worm
08-07-2014, 10:45 AM
ever discuss how to count to 12?

Try to but we run out of fingers....

TimHorton
08-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Little bro syndrome?

I actually went to both teams games last year. (Side note do this, amazing friggin trip).

USC is definately the 'Real LA' team, while UCLA is the Suburban LA team. Lotta fun though, and two stunning stadiums.

Deckie007
08-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I'd love to do a Big 10 road trip and see games in Ann Arbor and Columbus, the LA trip, Death Valley and Bryant-Denny Stadium, College Station and Austin for A&M and The Longhorns. Duke-UNC would be awesome too for basketball. One of these days...

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
I actually went to both teams games last year. (Side note do this, amazing friggin trip).

USC is definately the 'Real LA' team, while UCLA is the Suburban LA team. Lotta fun though, and two stunning stadiums.

USC is in Watts which is ironic given it is a rich boy school. UCLA is better in bball but worse in football.

TheCountofMonteCristo
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I'd love to do a Big 10 road trip and see games in Ann Arbor and Columbus, the LA trip, Death Valley and Bryant-Denny Stadium, College Station and Austin for A&M and The Longhorns. Duke-UNC would be awesome too for basketball. One of these days...

would be great to see a night game at LSU

lecoqsportif
08-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Using the word cack is cack.

Using it twice is the same sentence is DoubleCack.

Habsy
08-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Wait let me check that... yep the math is correct.