PDA

View Full Version : Leiweke to step down Jun 30 2015

Volcanologist
08-21-2014, 10:31 AM
according to TSN radio, was announced by Larry Tannenbaum this morning. press-release to be posted later.

well...that didn't last long. working with the MLSE board must be a truly uplifting experience.

worm
08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
just enough time to see that Cup parade....

CTheBigPicture
08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Who else thinks they are going to pay #99 to replace him?

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 10:34 AM
The Rogers and Bell co-ownership of the Leafs isn't turning out to be a happy marriage?

Who'd a thunk it? This doesn't bode well for us fans though.

Artnes
08-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Could this be more of a family matter than an internal management struggle?

Hard to stay with a company when you're wife is not happy with its location.

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Could this be more of a family matter than an internal management struggle?

Hard to stay with a company when you're wife is not happy with its location.
A lot of media reports, and a bunch are from pretty reputable sources, indicate that there is some serious infighting going on at the MLSE board and it's only intensified since Rogers scooped the NHL rights from TSN/Bell. Apparently some of the ownership group thinks Leiweke is great, and others want him gone.

I don't think it's hard to guess who probably wants him gone either. Apparently in one of his first meetings with the MLSE board, they asked Leiweke who his choice for Leaf GM would be, and Leiweke responded "Brian Burke". I'm sure George Cope, who was the architect of Burke's departure, wasn't amused.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Its too bad. He hasn't had enough time here for the results to translate to the ice, but you have to like the people he put in place to run all of the teams. Just hope the new guy doesn't **** it up and sticks with developing property.

Leafin'
08-21-2014, 10:54 AM
That sucks.

Is this 100% official? And why would they announce it now? The media will destroy him with questions now.

worm
08-21-2014, 10:56 AM
That sucks.

Is this 100% official? And why would they announce it now? The media will destroy him with questions now.

Because news leaked that he was leaving...so the questions would have come anyway.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
A lot of media reports, and a bunch are from pretty reputable sources, indicate that there is some serious infighting going on at the MLSE board and it's only intensified since Rogers scooped the NHL rights from TSN/Bell. Apparently some of the ownership group thinks Leiweke is great, and others want him gone.

I don't think it's hard to guess who probably wants him gone either. Apparently in one of his first meetings with the MLSE board, they asked Leiweke who his choice for Leaf GM would be, and Leiweke responded "Brian Burke". I'm sure George Cope, who was the architect of Burke's departure, wasn't amused.

In fairness though, a lot of media reports also have his wife being extremely unhappy in cold Canadian winters. Might be a little from column a and b.

But who ever thought Bell and Rogers working together on anything would be a good idea?

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Its too bad. He hasn't had enough time here for the results to translate to the ice, but you have to like the people he put in place to run all of the teams. Just hope the new guy doesn't **** it up and sticks with developing property.
That's the biggest concern. Once again, MLSE will be doing things ass-backwards.

Hire Pat Quinn as coach without a GM in place.
Hire John Ferguson Jr. as GM with Pat Quinn already in place as coach.
Hire Ron Wilson without a GM in place
Hire Randy Carlyle as head coach, then almost immediately fire the GM that hired him

...and now, whoever comes in to replace Leiweke as the President of MLSE will already have a full slate of Leiweke's hires already in place in key positions: Shanahan as Leaf President/quasi-GM, Masai Ujiri as Raptors GM, Tim Bezbatchenko as TFC GM.

Just stupid.

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 11:15 AM
In fairness though, a lot of media reports also have his wife being extremely unhappy in cold Canadian winters. Might be a little from column a and b.

But who ever thought Bell and Rogers working together on anything would be a good idea?
Yep, true enough. I can sort of understand, too. The Leiweke's sure picked the wrong year to live through their first Toronto winter.

Too bad they didn't come here a couple of years ago, when we pretty much went the entire winter without any snow on the ground in Toronto.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Just leave Shanny alone and actually let someone see a plan through for once.

worm
08-21-2014, 11:19 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459929

Current CEO Tim Leiweke will continue in his role until June 30, 2015 or until a successor is appointed, MLSE said Thursday in a statement.

zeke
08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Leweike's a blowhard but this kind of turnover is never good.

At least there's two strong recent hires leading the two flagships in Shanahan and Ujiri. Hopefully they don't get messed around with.

Volcanologist
08-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Some other possibilities...

-NFL team was the real mandate, now that that has failed it's time to move on
-his non-competition with California teams will have expired by next June, allowing him to go work with another such team
-like Burke there are parts of the board that dislike his loud/brash personality, big media shows, and way of doing things

Unless I have merely been taken by Leiweke's blarney all this time, it didn't sound by the grand planning he did in front of the media that this would amount to a 2 year job. Was this the plan all along or not? There's an argument to be made either way, as Leiweke has indicated before it wasn't going to be a long term thing and there have been rumours about his departure that started seemingly just after his arrival.

blacksheep
08-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Or... the management of MLSE really does not care to win, as they are criticized for constantly. Perhaps it's time to face the reality that as long as the cash cow exists in Leaf Nation, no effort will be made to improve things.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 01:51 PM
You know what's better than lots of money? Even more money.

The Leafs haven't been successful because they've been incompetent, not for lack of trying.

blacksheep
08-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Not for lack of trying? Yeah.... lots of great efforts. I'm sure they can get Carlyle to change his style... just like Anaheim did...

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Not for lack of trying? Yeah.... lots of great efforts. I'm sure they can get Carlyle to change his style... just like Anaheim did...

... what in the world does that have to do with ownership and the money they make though?

Ownership picked a guy and that guy picked Shanahan. And Shanahan decided to keep Carlyle. I disagree but what the hell does that have to do with ownership deciding they don't need to win?

What would an ownership that cared about winning do differently exactly?

Metalleaf
08-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Forced the GM to fire the coach...because meddling is better...just look at Ottawa.

blacksheep
08-21-2014, 02:07 PM
What would an ownership that cared about winning do differently exactly?

Pick someone who wouldn't keep Carlyle, for starters. Pick someone who's actually got some experience in the job he's being hired to do, for starters.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Pick someone who wouldn't keep Carlyle, for starters. Pick someone who's actually got some experience in the job he's being hired to do, for starters.

Ownership picked Leiweke, who had plenty of experience. He chose Shanahan.

Carlyle has nothing to do with ownership deciding they don't need to bother to win.

MindzEye
08-21-2014, 02:21 PM
This is not good news.

Say what you want about TL's style but he was instrumental in landing one of the best execs in the league to run the Raptors and appears to have landed a well known hockey guy that is in the process of transforming the way that the Leafs do business and at the moment, it all appears to be going in the right direction. I'm not as well versed on what he did with TFC, but they're not a laughing stock anymore, lured away major european based players to come to MLS and have put a team capable of winning games on the pitch for the first time in it's existence, along with bringing about plans to turn the stadium into a legitimate major venue for footy.

Dude has had a magic touch overall since he got to town imo.

**** Bell and ****, the ****ing Rogers (to be read in the **** Casper Gomez, and **** the ****ing Diaz Brothers voice). As bad as "MLSE" was over the years, this level of corporate incestuous bullshit is bad for the franchise.

Volcanologist
08-21-2014, 02:29 PM
His mistakes were giving nonis an unnecessary extension and the parade planning/take down the pictures remarks.

I think overall it's been positive and I doubt appointing a George Cope approved corporate toady in Leiweke's stead will improve the Leafs fortunes any. This guy was infinitely more qualified than Richard Peddie to run the sports end from on high.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 02:36 PM
It really depends on what the story is. The press release says he's leaving the sports management industry to be an entrepreneur so we'll see.

What we do know is they spent a shit load of money to bring in one of the top sports execs in North America to set the foundation for all of the franchises. The Leafs and Raps seem to be in pretty good hands now. It was a win.

They just need to stay hands off.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 03:01 PM
They sign every cheque asked of them. Analytics department, Burke's lineup of assistant GMs being paid like your average GMs, that new Rapid Shot machine, great training facilities, not opposed to burying bad contracts, a large scouting staff (it was at 20 a few years back, league average was 13).

They could easily cut a lot of that shit if they didn't want to win. Winning would bring in a lot of extra dough though. They know that.

number17
08-21-2014, 03:08 PM
His mistakes were giving nonis an unnecessary extension and the parade planning/take down the pictures remarks.

I think overall it's been positive and I doubt appointing a George Cope approved corporate toady in Leiweke's stead will improve the Leafs fortunes any. This guy was infinitely more qualified than Richard Peddie to run the sports end from on high.I wouldn't pin the Nonis extension (Nonis extension??? Or do you mean Carlyle?) on him though ... those are Shanny's decision.

From the perspective of the product on the ice, departure of Leiweke is not gonna have as big an impact as a Shanny, Nonis, or Carlyle would have. The job of Leiweke is to set the overall direction and hire the right President / GM (which is Shanny) .... jury's still out on Shanny, but he's sure looking a lot better now after the summer than before.

I don't think the team will feel the departure of Leiweke unless they hire a moron (like Peddie) to replace him.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't pin the Nonis extension (Nonis extension??? Or do you mean Carlyle?) on him though ... those are Shanny's decision.

From the perspective of the product on the ice, departure of Leiweke is not gonna have as big an impact as a Shanny, Nonis, or Carlyle would have. The job of Leiweke is to set the overall direction and hire the right President / GM (which is Shanny) .... jury's still out on Shanny, but he's sure looking a lot better now after the summer than before.

I don't think the team will feel the departure of Leiweke unless they hire a moron (like Peddie) to replace him.

They gave Nonis a 5 year extension last July. Shanny wasn't here.

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 03:37 PM
They sign every cheque asked of them. Analytics department, Burke's lineup of assistant GMs being paid like your average GMs, that new Rapid Shot machine, great training facilities, not opposed to burying bad contracts, a large scouting staff (it was at 20 a few years back, league average was 13).

They could easily cut a lot of that shit if they didn't want to win. Winning would bring in a lot of extra dough though. They know that.
Yep. Being incompetant, and not being willing to win are two very different things.

Eugene Melnyk, for example, is not interested in winning. When Bill Wirtz owned the Chicago Blackhawks, he was not interested in winning. Both demonstrate(d) their unwillingness to win by spending as little money on the operation of their hockey teams as they possible could.

The last time Leaf ownership wasn't willing to spend what was necessary to win was back in the summer of 1996, when Wayne Gretzky wanted to be a Leaf and Steve Stavro wasn't interested in paying him. Since Tanenbaum/TPF, and now Tanenbaum/Rogers/Bell took over the team from the cash-strapped Stavro, they were near the top of the league in spending almost every year prior to the salary cap, and since the salary cap, they've spent pretty much right up to the cap every year.

Volcanologist
08-21-2014, 03:41 PM
They were a top 5 spending team only once before the salary cap. It was during the Quinn era.

I looked it up somewhere once a few years back.

hockeylover
08-21-2014, 03:45 PM
They were a top 5 spending team only once before the salary cap. It was during the Quinn era.

I looked it up somewhere once a few years back.

TPF only bought in 2003 I think. We started to spend after that.

MindzEye
08-21-2014, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't pin the Nonis extension (Nonis extension??? Or do you mean Carlyle?) on him though ... those are Shanny's decision.

I think where you miss a guy like TL, if you don't hire another rock star to replace him, is when you go executive/big fish hunting. Does Masai leave Denver if TL doesn't court him? Does Defoe leave the EPL for....Canada, if TL isn't balls deep into the process? Shanny probably comes to Toronto anyway, because something something Mimico, but the other big name guys joining the organization? I doubt. That's TL's impact, his ability to identify high end people and bring them to him.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah, Stavaros was the cheap one. They started to spend as soon as the teachers bought in.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 03:48 PM
I think where you miss a guy like TL, if you don't hire another rock star to replace him, is when you go executive/big fish hunting. Does Masai leave Denver if TL doesn't court him? Does Defoe leave the EPL for....Canada, if TL isn't balls deep into the process? Shanny probably comes to Toronto anyway, because something something Mimico, but the other big name guys joining the organization? I doubt. That's TL's impact, his ability to identify high end people and bring them to him.

Yeah but that job is done. And unless he didn't do a good job they should be set in that area. He built those foundations.

MindzEye
08-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah but that job is done. And unless he didn't do a good job they should be set in that area. He built those foundations.

That job is never done.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
No but he put the people in place to do the job. That was his task as far as the teams are concerned. That was accomplished.

Personally I don't really care about the winter classic, all star game, 100th anniversary and next condo development stuff.

MindzEye
08-21-2014, 03:54 PM
No but he put the people in place to do the job. That was his task as far as the teams are concerned. That was accomplished.

Personally I don't really care about the winter classic, all star game, 100th anniversary and next condo development stuff.

He also brought in Defoe and Bradley, and is the type of guy who would move heaven and earth to try to land...say...Kevin Durant for the Raps, Stamkos for the Leafs, etc.

It's not just about bringing in execs, he's an outstanding salesmen when it comes to attracting talent of all sorts to the organization.

leafman101
08-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but he brought in the guys who will be responsible for that. So unless he did a bad job it shouldn't matter. The teams should be left in good hands.

MindzEye
08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but he brought in the guys who will be responsible for that. So unless he did a bad job it shouldn't matter. The teams should be left in good hands.

Nobody he brought in, and few people in the north american sporting world, have the connections and cache that he has.

It's a loss to the organization, period, unless a similar rock star type executive is brought in.

LeafGm
08-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Elliott Friedman with some more details (http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/08/tim-leiweke-wouldnt-commit-to-mlse.html)on the lead-up to Leiweke's departure:

Like all marriages, it comes down to commitment.

Tim Leiweke had an "out" from his Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment contract sometime around the end of the 2014-15 NHL and NBA seasons. The CEO is setting up his own company, excited by the prospect of being his own boss.

MLSE knew that. It also heard the rumours: Madison Square Garden (forcefully denied by several sources on Tuesday), Comcast, the Los Angeles Clippers, David Beckham's soccer team-to-be, etc., etc.

The board members wanted to know Leiweke was committed to them. It goes beyond the on-ice/on-court/on-field success of the organization's teams. There are major projects on the horizon: a new Raptors practice facility (which overcame a Toronto city council hurdle on Wednesday), an NBA All-Star Game, a bid for the NHL All-Star Game, and expansion of the BMO Field soccer stadium.

They wanted to know if he was in or out. They wanted greater guarantees.

As another NHL executive said Wednesday, "You have to know if anyone in his position has one foot out the door."

According to a couple of sources, approximately two months ago Leiweke reiterated to the board that he would only guarantee his position until June 30, 2015. It sounds like, at that moment, the board decided it had to protect its own interests.

Leafin'
08-21-2014, 06:02 PM
I hope he stays.

Get me a championship on the Leafs and Raptors, and only then can you leave.

trujaysfan
08-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Shitty day, shitty news.... TFC likely to get the most ****ed by this news

blacksheep
08-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Ownership picked Leiweke, who had plenty of experience. He chose Shanahan.
A very risky move, given that Shanny's never done this type of work before. It's too early to say whether that's a big mistake or not, but surely the rest of the board raised their eyebrows - if they even give a shit. That may even be part of the reason TL is under scrutiny now by the new owners, for all we know.

Carlyle has nothing to do with ownership deciding they don't need to bother to win.

Indirectly, it sure does. It's clear to everyone else that Carlyle is not getting the job done here. Three seasons in a row, the team imploded. That's not entirely on Carlyle, as we are among the youngest team in the league, but he was hired on to improve on the things Wilson could not improve on, and here we are still waiting for that improvement.
So if the ownership truly wanted to make those extra bucks you correctly say we could make with three or four rounds of playoffs, they would do everything in their power to ensure Carlyle would not get an extension.
But alas, here we go again, into a new season with Carlyle, and a few new players. I don't see much change in this year's chances over last. I guess the owners are happy with the amount of money Leaf Nation brings in now.

hockeylover
08-23-2014, 12:47 AM
A very risky move, given that Shanny's never done this type of work before. It's too early to say whether that's a big mistake or not, but surely the rest of the board raised their eyebrows - if they even give a shit. That may even be part of the reason TL is under scrutiny now by the new owners, for all we know.

Indirectly, it sure does. It's clear to everyone else that Carlyle is not getting the job done here. Three seasons in a row, the team imploded. That's not entirely on Carlyle, as we are among the youngest team in the league, but he was hired on to improve on the things Wilson could not improve on, and here we are still waiting for that improvement.
So if the ownership truly wanted to make those extra bucks you correctly say we could make with three or four rounds of playoffs, they would do everything in their power to ensure Carlyle would not get an extension.
But alas, here we go again, into a new season with Carlyle, and a few new players. I don't see much change in this year's chances over last. I guess the owners are happy with the amount of money Leaf Nation brings in now.

Ownership should pick someone they trust and stay the **** out of it. You're crazy if you want some meddling rich guy who treats it like he's running a fantasy team.

MindzEye
08-23-2014, 02:39 AM
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/560475

MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke reportedly set his sights on something much bigger than the Toronto sports franchises he currently oversees. According to Gord Miller, an Olympic bid is luring Leiweke back to Los Angeles.

The United States Olympic Committee revealed in June the four American cities it would consider for the 2024 summer Olympic bid would be Boston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

JohnnyHolmes
08-23-2014, 05:04 PM
I"M NOT QUITTING!!! (ok i'm quitting)