PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nerds: Cell Phone Edition

Killer93
09-21-2014, 10:01 AM
So I am due for an upgrade on my iPhone 5 and I am considering getting the iPhone 6 Plus, anyone pick one up yet and have any feedback?

leafman101
09-21-2014, 10:06 AM
I checked them out at best buy just to see the size and the 6 plus is really big.

I was leaning towards that one, but after holding it for me I thought it was unnecessarily big. Its ****ing huge for a phone.

So definitely go check them out first.

Hoss
09-21-2014, 10:12 AM
I have upgraded to ios8 and like some of the features it has. the quick voice message feature on texts is great. I was thinking of the 6 instead of the plus, just cuz I can't see myself carrying that thing around with ease.

Killer93
09-21-2014, 10:12 AM
I have seen them both and I didn't mind the size of the 6 plus, with the work I do I use my phone for a lot of FaceTime and webinars so having the extra big screen is a bonus. Hoping someone here has been using one and can share, updated my IPhone 5 to IOS8 and it has been choppy as hell.

Rumpleforeskin
09-21-2014, 10:25 AM
ios8 comes with some neato features

http://i.imgur.com/TX9dbK6.jpg

please don't microwave your phone

johnunit
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
It's a strong competitor against the galaxy s2.

da_next_kid
09-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Although what John said is meant as a joke the iPhone 6 plus is not even better than the S5 let alone Note 4 which comes out shortly.

blkngldbabe
09-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I love th image stabilizing available on the 6+

JackBurton
09-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm over the IPhone thing. My contract is about to run-out. I'm moving on.

Montana
09-21-2014, 02:24 PM
ios8 comes with some neato features

http://i.imgur.com/TX9dbK6.jpg

Pfffffft, Galaxy S3 had Wave technology years ago.

Habspatrol
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Pfffffft, Galaxy S3 had Wave technology years ago.

REALLY??? Shit, I have a Galaxy S3... I gotta try that!!!

voyager
09-21-2014, 04:21 PM
I preordered the 6 and after two days with it I absolutely love it.

I thought about the 6+ but ultimately decided it was too large.

voyager
09-21-2014, 04:24 PM
As an aside I love how the apple haters have to chime in with their unsolicited advice.

I swear most of them seem to derive most of their self worth from the fact that they prefer android.

johnunit
09-21-2014, 04:30 PM
As an aside I love how the apple haters have to chime in with their unsolicited advice.

I swear most of them seem to derive most of their self worth from the fact that they prefer android.

It's more the cringe factor at apple getting so obscenely rich pushing thoroughly outdated material. It's like if Microsoft was charging more for the xbone than the ps4 with half the power and it was actually selling. Ever actually compared iPhone to it's competitors in terms of specs and features?

voyager
09-21-2014, 04:39 PM
It's more the cringe factor at apple getting so obscenely rich pushing thoroughly outdated material. It's like if Microsoft was charging more for the xbone than the ps4 with half the power and it was actually selling. Ever actually compared iPhone to it's competitors in terms of specs and features?

What turns me off of android is how incredibly fragmented the ecosystem is. Huge mistake on google's part giving it out for free to any handset manufacturer.

voyager
09-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Oh and the android fanbois. They annoy me so I don't want to be associated them.

Leafin'
09-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I preordered the iphone 6 and have yet to pick it up. I don't think i will.

I currently use the Nexus 5 and its good for what i do. I like the feel of the iphone better, but not enough to spend a $1000.

I'm waiting to see what the come up with next month with the Nexus 6 or X or whatever it will be called.

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 05:33 PM
It's a strong competitor against the galaxy s2.

Apple iNnovation

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 05:35 PM
What turns me off of android is how incredibly fragmented the ecosystem is. Huge mistake on google's part giving it out for free to any handset manufacturer.

Huge mistake that has lead to them being the operating system running 80% of the smartphones in the world....

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 05:43 PM

Not most, just some.

as an aside, I know that a Cult of Jobs fanboy isn't calling another fanbase pretentious.

Montana
09-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Having a phone "team" is faggy as f*ck.....

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm not pro Android so much as I'm "**** Apple". When one of the biggest players in the game is pumping technology that is 2-3 years old in their new phones, that's bad for innovation and I'm a technologist/futurist at heart. A company like Apple could be doing real cutting edge shit and pushing things forward instead of repackaging 2-3 year old gear to people who don't know better/care.

They're not though, so **** them.

axlsalinger
09-21-2014, 06:18 PM
But on the plus side, they did figure out how to charge a phone by putting it in the microwave.

Oh, and in terms of losertardery, Apple fanboI's (p)own Android fanboi's.

Volcanologist
09-21-2014, 06:19 PM

okay, what?

voyager
09-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Huge mistake that has lead to them being the operating system running 80% of the smartphones in the world....

With the vast majority of those phones being poorly made, cheap handsets that have limited support. Blackberry once dominated the smartphone market place.

voyager
09-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Not most, just some.

as an aside, I know that a Cult of Jobs fanboy isn't calling another fanbase pretentious.

The apple fanbois are equally annoying.
At the end of the day, it's a mobile computer. Nothing more, nothing less. If you use what you carry in your pocket to define your life's value then you need to take a step back and realize how lame you are.

I was merely commenting on how the op was asking an iPhone question and the android brigade cane out in full force unnecessarily.

Montana
09-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Truth is, there is no winner in the debate.......both have their benefits over their competition and are better suited for certain demographics with varying needs/wants.

Fanboys of both who think their side is the be all and end all, are just as faggy as their counterpart on the opposing side.

rated
09-21-2014, 06:36 PM
The iphone 6 looks pretty sick and actually worth buying, even though its out dated to shit. People never bought iphones for the specs anyways and have always done really well that way. Lots of people still use the iphone 4 over 5s just...because its still a good phone that works awesomely. Android will always be better, but its ridiculous how much of a cellphones arms race android phones got going on. The crazy specs aren't even really needed (it's just a luxury). Iphone is proof of that.

It's all the same shit anyways. Samsung copied the hell out of the iphone and now the iphone is copying androids with the bigger screens, even after speaking against it for so long. They had to go bigger or otherwise what else could they market ? Outdated specs ?

ps killer, may want to go to www.gsmarena.com and read the information over there. Every time I'm buying a new phone I check it out on that site and read the reviews and you'll get lots of different opinions on the pros/cons people have. Always been people informative for me when trying to make a decision on what I want to spend my money on.

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 07:00 PM
With the vast majority of those phones being poorly made, cheap handsets that have limited support.

Which of course couldn't be by design so that smartphones can be owned by people in poorer nations...right? Smartphones should only be for pretentious north americans, amirite?

Blackberry once dominated the smartphone market place.

Yes, when it was a marketplace dominated by corporate phones. Blackberry mis read the market and they continued focusing on enterprise instead of consumer products. Apple has mis read the market by pricing it out of the reach of everyone but affluent north americans and europeans.

Apple capitalized on Blackberries **** up, and Google has capitalized on Apple's.

axlsalinger
09-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Truth is, there is no winner in the debate.......both have their benefits over their competition and are better suited for certain demographics with varying needs/wants.

Fanboys of both who think their side is the be all and end all, are just as faggy as their counterpart on the opposing side.

Bottom line. I love the ipod, but for phones I've leaned towards Android. But I'd get an iPhone tomorrow if the price was right.

Habspatrol
09-21-2014, 08:58 PM
I had an iPhone and loved it. Then when we moved and I needed a new phone I went with a Galaxy... and after a little getting used to I now love it.

I think whatever you have and are used to is what you'll like. If I was upgrading right now I'd probably get the iPhone 6... but I have like a year and a half to wait so we'll see what Samsung has going on by then.

Leafyblue
09-21-2014, 09:14 PM
I went on Geekbuying.com and bought an HTC One clone...just for the hell of it. 88 bucks including shipping and it's brilliant.(for 88 bucks) The build quality is just ok and I have a feeling if I ever drop it, it's done. But after a few months of everyday use...it's working just fine. I haven't looked but I'm sure there will be an Eyephone 6 plus on there for a few hundred bucks. :)

voyager
09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Which of course couldn't be by design so that smartphones can be owned by people in poorer nations...right? Smartphones should only be for pretentious north americans,

Well played ha

Yes, when it was a marketplace dominated by corporate phones. Blackberry mis read the market and they continued focusing on enterprise instead of consumer products. Apple has mis read the market by pricing it out of the reach of everyone but affluent north americans and europeans.

Apple capitalized on Blackberries **** up, and Google has capitalized on Apple's.

Actually I'd made the argument that blackberry did the exact opposite. They created a shit tonne of lower quality phones and flooded the market with them. Remember the Pearl? They were literally giving them away for free. All these low cost handsets had different operating systems, specs and screen sizes. This inconsistencies created a problem for third party app developers who had to create multiple versions of differing quality to get full coverage. As result most major developers left bb. They were also killed by privacy breaches and massive outages of bbm.
Blackberry ultimately was screwed by their reluctance to adapt.

As for android, they have a similar issue where each manufacturer has different versions of the OS which invariably leads to a fractured market.

As an aside, a bunch of my coworkers use androids one thing that always caught my attention was how most of them disabled the unique features found on their phone like the eye tracking on the Samsung as they said it usually screwed up. Whereas most iphone users I know haven't disabled a single feature as they all just work.

MindzEye
09-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Actually I'd made the argument that blackberry did the exact opposite. They created a shit tonne of lower quality phones and flooded the market with them. Remember the Pearl? They were literally giving them away for free. All these low cost handsets had different operating systems, specs and screen sizes. This inconsistencies created a problem for third party app developers who had to create multiple versions of differing quality to get full coverage. As result most major developers left bb. They were also killed by privacy breaches and massive outages of bbm.
Blackberry ultimately was screwed by their reluctance to adapt.

They were dead long before the pearl came out. It's been pretty well reported over the years that Blackberry completely misread the smart phone market (which we take for granted now, but didn't exist then...they ****ing created it) by betting on enterprise applications being the important side of things. When you look at what Blackberry did well, better than anyone else by a wide margin, was encryption, enterprise applications, email, etc. All business related. They were late entries into legitimate consumer end devices and it showed...because yeah, when they showed up with the pearl, curve, bold, etc they were all underpowered, buggy, with limited app stores. They had already lost that market before they'd ever fired a legitimate shot.

Shit, the one thing blackberry had legitimate consumer success with, BBM, was originally intended as a secure messaging app that didn't have the security holes that exist in text messaging. It was an enterprise application that caught on because it was free back when texts used to cost quite a bit of money.

As for android, they have a similar issue where each manufacturer has different versions of the OS which invariably leads to a fractured market.

Until Google releases their own phones...and I don't mean a bare bones Nexus offering. When your OS is on 80% of the phones in the world, 63% in North America, you can afford to play the long game. Apple is "falling" into the same position they're in with their computing arm, with a more dominant offering (PC vs Mac) soaking up a shit load of the marketplace, creating an ecosystem inhabited by a few dozen other massive companies.

Basically, Google will let the market be fractured for now, until they're in a place to challenge the major Android manufacturers with flagship phones. They're focusing on India and the rest of Asia with lower entry level phones to grow market share in massive, massive markets.

With that said, I question what the market being "fractured" really means. The Android experience is largely the same, the google play store exactly the same, etc.

As an aside, a bunch of my coworkers use androids one thing that always caught my attention was how most of them disabled the unique features found on their phone like the eye tracking on the Samsung as they said it usually screwed up. Whereas most iphone users I know haven't disabled a single feature as they all just work.

The trade off for having a phone with legitimately new technology I guess?

On the topic of Android Vs Apple, I don't think it's being framed right here. Am I an Android fanboy? No, it's a ****ing operating system. Am I a google fanboy? Absolutely. They're a company that is entirely about shaking up the way that we do everything, pushing the boundaries of commercially available technology...and creating the next generation of commercially available tech. If you're a tech company that doesn't actually invent anything, what the **** are you really doing?

Leafin'
09-22-2014, 12:05 AM
excellent post.

axlsalinger
09-22-2014, 03:24 AM
On the topic of Android Vs Apple, I don't think it's being framed right here. Am I an Android fanboy? No, it's a ****ing operating system. Am I a google fanboy? Absolutely. They're a company that is entirely about shaking up the way that we do everything, pushing the boundaries of commercially available technology...and creating the next generation of commercially available tech. If you're a tech company that doesn't actually invent anything, what the **** are you really doing?

And yeah, this.

I do like Google and the way they operate, quite a bit. Doesn't mean I have anything against Apple.

CTheBigPicture
09-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Fanboism makes absolutely no sense to me. Why commit and be loyal to a company/OS? Why not put pressure on them to further innovate?

Right now my go to mobile OS is android but I'd switch over to iOS in a heart beat if they come up with features that fit my needs.

On the specs topic: Years ago when I bought my first Mac over better spec'd PCs, I learned that OS is much more important than a bunch of meaningless numbers.

Right now I feel like I'm suffocating when I use a windows machine. The speed at which I work on the now four year old Mac thanks to OSX wows me everyday.

Right now, for cell phones, I feel like I'm suffocating when I use an iPhone but the android experience and new innovative apps that come out everyday wow me.

Right now, for tablets, I prefer my wife's iPad mini with retina over my Nexus 7 2012. Of course, that could be because one is a $900 device, the other is a $200 device. (Most likely though it's because I don't use the cool features of android on my tablet a lot)

PS:
I've never owned a non stock android though (it's been all Nexus). I'm thinking of picking up a Note 4 this time around.

Hoss
09-22-2014, 07:20 AM
It all comes down to preference.... 1. try it. 2. pick which one you like best. 3 **** off with it and do what you want.

No need to shiite on other people's preferences.

MindzEye
09-22-2014, 08:19 AM
It all comes down to preference.... 1. try it. 2. pick which one you like best. 3 **** off with it and do what you want.

No need to shiite on other people's preferences.

I thought about this last night after I wrote my last post and I kind of disagree. Not that it's constructive or makes a bit of ****ing difference, but I firmly believe in the concept of voting with your wallet. If you shop at Wal Mart, then you're supporting their shitty labour practices, their race to the bottom business model, etc. Similarly, if you're supporting Apple, you're supporting their business practices. Again, I dislike them as a tech company in general....so I'll shit talk them. Has nothing to do with the person who prefers them and everything to do with the company itself. **** Apple.

Habspatrol
09-22-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm heading to Wal-Mart to pick up my new iPhone.

leafman101
09-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Get whatever phone you want. Its all the same shit. Just don't go on the internet and be all faggy about it.

LeafGm
09-22-2014, 09:47 AM
There's no point in obsessing about the operating system. When it comes time to buy a new phone, do your research, try out a few different models and pick the one that's the best fit for you. And really, I'd spend more time worrying about the specific phone and its manufacturer than I would the OS. Make sure you're getting a phone from a manufacturer with a reputation for building quality phones that will last, and make sure the model you're getting has good reviews and no widepsread documented problems. This is also why it's a good idea to avoid buying a new model phone right after it's come out. If you don't have a compulsive need to be that guy who always has the newest, shiniest gadgets, just wait it out and let the early adopters be the guinea pigs who make sure the new model isn't a piece of crap.

SundinsTooth
09-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Get whatever phone you want. Its all the same shit. Just don't go on the internet and be all faggy about it.

Profound wisdom. Love it.

voyager
09-22-2014, 10:06 AM
That was an interesting post ME. However your criticism of Apple is slightly off. While they may not be innovating at the pace you want they are doing something equally valuable. They're making it mainstream. Look how far technology has come in the last decade, where we literally have access to all the knowledge in the world in our front pocket.

In 2007 when Apple unveiled the iPhone there many said it was a stupid idea. Seven years later look where we are. So I ask, how is Apple holding the technological revolution back?

Though I have an interesting question, other than the search engine, has Google innovated anything that has changed your daily life? At the same time, has Apple?

Deckie007
09-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm heading to Wal-Mart to pick up my new iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVssgfHwNHc

MindzEye
09-22-2014, 11:07 AM
That was an interesting post ME. However your criticism of Apple is slightly off. While they may not be innovating at the pace you want they are doing something equally valuable. They're making it mainstream.

They've actually done the opposite, they've made it elitist. They've priced the vast majority of the planet out of the smartphone market.

Look how far technology has come in the last decade, where we literally have access to all the knowledge in the world in our front pocket.

We do, and Apple deserves all sorts of credit for the initial innovations that lead to where we are. Giving them credit for where we're at technologically today though is like giving Ask Jeeves props for Google's algorithm's. Apple has stopped leading the push.

In 2007 when Apple unveiled the iPhone there many said it was a stupid idea. Seven years later look where we are. So I ask, how is Apple holding the technological revolution back?

By not truly innovating since 2007? In technology, 7 years is a ****ing lifetime.

Though I have an interesting question, other than the search engine, has Google innovated anything that has changed your daily life? At the same time, has Apple?

Autonomous vehicle technology, mapping the entire surface of the ****ing planet, they currently are leaders in the field of researching the extension of the human lifespan. Human/Computer interaction (google glasses, among numerous other projects), leaders in quantum computing research, 1.5 billion in funding for renewable energy research, they pretty much own all of the high level research into "Deep Mind"learning algorithm's, and have one of the foremost futurists in the world, Ray Kurzweil as head of their engineering department.

There's a shit ton more than they're up to, and most of it outside of their search engine business. As companies pushing the envelope of culture and technology, it's not even remotely close between the two.

voyager
09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
They've actually done the opposite, they've made it elitist. They've priced the vast majority of the planet out of the smartphone market.

We do, and Apple deserves all sorts of credit for the initial innovations that lead to where we are. Giving them credit for where we're at technologically today though is like giving Ask Jeeves props for Google's algorithm's. Apple has stopped leading the push.

By not truly innovating since 2007? In technology, 7 years is a ****ing lifetime.

Autonomous vehicle technology, mapping the entire surface of the ****ing planet, they currently are leaders in the field of researching the extension of the human lifespan. Human/Computer interaction (google glasses, among numerous other projects), leaders in quantum computing research, 1.5 billion in funding for renewable energy research, they pretty much own all of the high level research into "Deep Mind"learning algorithm's, and have one of the foremost futurists in the world, Ray Kurzweil as head of their engineering department.

There's a shit ton more than they're up to, and most of it outside of their search engine business. As companies pushing the envelope of culture and technology, it's not even remotely close between the two.

Those are all awesome innovations, however the majority of them have not filtered down to day to day life . Some will, some will not. That's the nature of r&d work.

And as an aside many of those endeavors were done by companies that Google has purchased. Either way, your hardon for Google is showing. Have they developed an app for your fleshlight yet?

corksens
09-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Am I missing the obvious? You have an iphone5 as is...it still does everything you can possibly need. Why upgrade just because you can?

Habspatrol
09-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Am I missing the obvious? You have an iphone5 as is...it still does everything you can possibly need. Why upgrade just because you can?

Don't you drive an expensive Bimmer? A Ford Focus does everything you need. I assume that you'll trade your BMW in while it's still just fine and still doing everything you need.

corksens
09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't you drive an expensive Bimmer? A Ford Focus does everything you need. I assume that you'll trade your BMW in while it's still just fine and still doing everything you need.If you can't spot the massive difference between an iphone 5 vs. iphone 6 and a Focus vs. BMW SUV then I really can't help you.

Your comparison would be apt if I took my 2013 BMW and traded it in for a 2015 BMW.

Volcanologist
09-22-2014, 01:22 PM
meh, I'm fine with my 5S. I'll upgrade next year when my contract's up.

Habspatrol
09-22-2014, 01:25 PM
If you can't spot the massive difference between an iphone 5 vs. iphone 6 and a Focus vs. BMW SUV then I really can't help you.

Your comparison would be apt if I took my 2013 BMW and traded it in for a 2015 BMW.

Well I didn't realize you were in an SUV so the comparison should be a Ford Escape.

And of course vehicles don't become "outdated" as quickly as electronics/gadgets. So I wouldn't compare it to trading in a 2013 for a 2015... but lets say you were driving a 2008 and traded it in on a 2015 it would be pretty reasonable. Even though a 2008 BMW is a fine vehicle that has everything you need.

Point being that we all like to have stuff that we don't need and can very much do with a lesser/older model.

leafman101
09-22-2014, 01:29 PM

The same reason you bought the iPhone 5 in the first plAce when you didn't really need it.

Everyone is always buying things they want but don't need.

Why buy a BMW at all? A Kia does everything you could possibly need.

corksens
09-22-2014, 01:31 PM
The same reason you bought the iPhone 5 in the first plAce when you didn't really need it.

Everyone is always buying things they want but don't need.

Why buy a BMW at all? A Kia does everything you could possibly need.Well, my 3 year old busted blackberry wasn't cutting it anymore when I bought my iphone 5.

I'll buy a new phone when this one either can't operate efficiently, or I bust it. I just don't see the point in replacing a perfectly good tool when an only slightly different one.

Habspatrol
09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Well, my 3 year old busted blackberry wasn't cutting it anymore when I bought my iphone 5.

I'll buy a new phone when this one either can't operate efficiently, or I bust it. I just don't see the point in replacing a perfectly good tool when an only slightly different one.

That's the whole point. You don't place a lot of value on being completely up to date with your phone, hell I know people without a smartphone... or a cell phone at all.

You probably place more value on being up to date on your golf clubs, cars, maybe your skates... or something else.

leafman101
09-22-2014, 01:38 PM
Its completely unnecessary. No one makes the upgrade because they need to.

This is a pretty weird criticism coming from the materialistic, beemer driving, burburry wearing, golf playing right wing capitalist. We don't actually need most of this shit. Embrace the consumerism.

corksens
09-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I guess it makes it even more confusing to me given my good understanding of consumerism. I've never understood the mad rush to pay full pop on the latest and greatest. I've always been a deal hunter. Maybe that's the issue.

Habspatrol
09-22-2014, 01:51 PM
I don't think many are making the switch before they're eligible for the free upgrade. I know I'm not.

worm
09-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Oh and the android fanbois. They annoy me so I don't want to be associated them.

yep
they are getting almost as bad as the apple fanboys

ill wait for whatever replaces andriod.....maybe blackberry will make a comeback?

worm
09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Hopefully Apple realizes what happened to blackberry is happening to them.

worm
09-22-2014, 02:14 PM
I went on Geekbuying.com and bought an HTC One clone...just for the hell of it. 88 bucks including shipping and it's brilliant.(for 88 bucks) The build quality is just ok and I have a feeling if I ever drop it, it's done. But after a few months of everyday use...it's working just fine. I haven't looked but I'm sure there will be an Eyephone 6 plus on there for a few hundred bucks. :)

I bought the first ever Canada andriod phone....and now have the HTC One.... probably look at the new Nexus (if it comes out) for my next phone.

Have used them all from the original hacked iPhone to the Blackberry Storm.

I still prefer my LG Flip Phone....it was orange.

worm
09-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Shut down the forum habsy.

It is over.

Hoss
09-22-2014, 03:36 PM
If you can't spot the massive difference between an iphone 5 vs. iphone 6 and a Focus vs. BMW SUV then I really can't help you.

agreed, but with the changes of the 5 to the 6 a better comparison of a 2013 BMW coupe to the X series SUV. Same purpose, bigger car with a couple of different features

Hoss
09-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Well, my 3 year old busted blackberry wasn't cutting it anymore when I bought my iphone 5.

How many watches you have again Cork?? I am sure they all work

MindzEye
09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Those are all awesome innovations, however the majority of them have not filtered down to day to day life . Some will, some will not. That's the nature of r&d work.

That's what innovation really is though, taking risks to try to create something that doesn't currently exist. Like what Apple did with the original iPhone and haven't done since.

And as an aside many of those endeavors were done by companies that Google has purchased.

Does it matter? Buying companies on the leading edge of their field and then giving those companies access to Google's monstrous pool of resources is a good thing, not bad.

I did of course forget Google fibre too, which is all them.

Either way, your hardon for Google is showing. Have they developed an app for your fleshlight yet?

I've never been shy about my hardon for Google. Fleshlight? They're not Apple bruh, Fleshlight is old technology, why would android use fleshlight? They're too busy innovating.

Montana
09-22-2014, 05:16 PM
ITT:

http://www.nkayesel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/liz-lemon-eye-roll1.gif

CH1
09-22-2014, 06:16 PM
That's what innovation really is though, taking risks to try to create something that doesn't currently exist. Like what Apple did with the original iPhone and haven't done since.

Constant innovation isn't that simple. Apple changed the smartphone game with the first iPhone. Every subsequent change, both from Apple and their army of competitors, has been incremental (bigger screens, better cameras, etc).

The iPad was just a big phone without voice calling. All these watches seems boring.

Who knows where the next big leap will come from. I'd be pretty impressed if I could use my phone to pay for everything including pain in the ass items like TTC tokens.

Leafyblue
09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I can put 3 sim cards in my cheap Chinese phone. Does anybody offer that here? I realize that makes things easier in the Eurozone when you hop from country to country a lot. But it seems like a good idea if you travel to the US...just pop in a local card and save any roaming charges.

MindzEye
09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
ITT:

http://www.nkayesel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/liz-lemon-eye-roll1.gif

Careful son, your double standard is showing.

Or were you not the guy making fun of people for owning Xbox 360's or considering the purchase of xbox 360's?

It's only gay fanboyism when it's not what you're a fanboy towards though, right?

CRL
09-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I can put 3 sim cards in my cheap Chinese phone. Does anybody offer that here? I realize that makes things easier in the Eurozone when you hop from country to country a lot. But it seems like a good idea if you travel to the US...just pop in a local card and save any roaming charges.

I rather get some zone pass from carrier like I did while in Cuba over Chinese piece of junk just coze multi sim stupidity like it is 90-s or some Somalia

Montana
09-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Careful son, your double standard is showing.

Or were you not the guy making fun of people for owning Xbox 360's or considering the purchase of xbox 360's?

It's only gay fanboyism when it's not what you're a fanboy towards though, right?

It's called growth, son.

Volcanologist
09-22-2014, 07:46 PM
This from the guy obsessed with fake wrestling and pretending to be emotionless.

Wayward DP
09-22-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty torn here. I have a 4S, which I love, and works great (although I still haven't upgraded to the new OS). The only issue is I have no memory left, which I can easily remedy by clearing out my photos and some music. On the other hand, my contract is up in January, and I'll be eligible to upgrade.

I won't switch to android, I have a shitty Chinese smartphone on android here in New Zealand and I much prefer apple, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting a new phone while the old one still works great (guess I'm from the cork school of phones...). Fortunately I've got a few months to wait and see what people think about the 6.

CRL
09-22-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty torn here. I have a 4S, which I love, and works great (although I still haven't upgraded to the new OS). The only issue is I have no memory left, which I can easily remedy by clearing out my photos and some music. On the other hand, my contract is up in January, and I'll be eligible to upgrade.

I won't switch to android, I have a shitty Chinese smartphone on android here in New Zealand and I much prefer apple, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting a new phone while the old one still works great (guess I'm from the cork school of phones...). Fortunately I've got a few months to wait and see what people think about the 6.

Maybe sell it off ebay?

Montana
09-22-2014, 08:00 PM
This from the guy obsessed with fake wrestling and pretending to be emotionless.

You seem more obsessed with what I watch, and my personal philosophies regarding emotion, It's value and more specifically how it impacts my decision making.......you can't bring it up enough, in or out of context.

Volcanologist
09-22-2014, 08:05 PM
You seem more obsessed with what I watch, and my personal philosophies regarding emotion, It's value and more specifically how it impacts my decision making.......you can't bring it up enough, in or out of context.

Stop being so emotional. I'm just winding you up, Threepio.

Montana
09-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Stop being so emotional.

heh.

This trope needs it own macro at this point.

CRL
09-22-2014, 08:15 PM
hey you 2, kiss each other or dance already

TimHorton
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
hey you 2, kiss each other or dance already

Unzips and starts rubbing himself............yeah Dance and Kiss!!!

Volcanologist
09-22-2014, 08:18 PM
http://blog.wtfconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/mike-tyson-kiss.jpg

CRL
09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
where am I? WTF happened here?

Montana
09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
http://blog.wtfconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/mike-tyson-kiss.jpg

I know where this leads...

http://thebostonjam.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/mike-tyson.jpg

CH1
09-22-2014, 08:40 PM

I'm in the same boat (except my contract expires next week). I wouldn't upgrade to iOS8 with a 4S.

http://bgr.com/2014/09/17/iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-ios-8-update/

I remember regretting updating my 3S one too many times. The thing became as slow as molasses...I think the same will happen with 4S and the new OS.

Deckie007
09-22-2014, 09:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wKBlrpa.gif

worm
09-22-2014, 10:30 PM
where am I? WTF happened here?

forum ice happened

http://www.troll.me/images/just-happened/that-just-happened.jpg

worm
09-22-2014, 10:31 PM
this thread reminded me of that

still kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

worm
09-22-2014, 10:35 PM
futureshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdApObrGzCo

CH1
09-22-2014, 10:56 PM
this is my favourite..I think the innovator in the genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6NqHHOR4M

CH1
09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
futureshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdApObrGzCo

$23 Billion for Google was a steal. Google is now worth about $400 Billion.

Montana
09-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Anyone thinking of a 6+.....I'd hold off, early feedback has it bending/breaking with not a ton of pressure applied.

CTheBigPicture
09-24-2014, 08:51 AM
I was all set to buy a Note 4 and then I came across this (Xperia Z3):

http://www.phonearena.com/news/All-bow-to-the-new-endurance-king-Sony-Xperia-Z3-scores-a-record-battery-life-for-its-category_id60922

The battery life is amazing, specs, UI etc. all seem to score high too. I may wait a little till I see one.

CTheBigPicture
09-24-2014, 09:26 AM
The bend is significant:

http://youtu.be/znK652H6yQM

CTheBigPicture
09-24-2014, 09:26 AM
The forum didn't let me include two videos in the same post.

Here's a follow up, he puts pressure (lot more pressure) on the Note 3 to see what happens (nothing)

http://youtu.be/FwM4ypi3at0?list=UUsTcErHg8oDvUnTzoqsYeNw

voyager
09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Yup because both those tests are well controlled. How exactly do you quantify "a lot more pressure"? (And a warp is the same as a bend is it not?)

And either way the plus and not are fricking phablets. Probably shouldn't be kept in pockets as they're essentially tablets.

CTheBigPicture
09-24-2014, 10:57 AM
I've never had a phablet but of course I'd have to put it in my pocket. I don't have a purse!

also watch those videos again. The issue is whether or not you can leave your phone in your pocket without worry. It's obvious that iPhone 6+ owners can't do that while Note 3 owners can.

This is nothing new by the way. The first batch of the past four Apple phones have all had issues. If you are in the market, wait for the subsequent batches. Never be an early adapter.

Habspatrol
09-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Yup because both those tests are well controlled. How exactly do you quantify "a lot more pressure"? (And a warp is the same as a bend is it not?)

And either way the plus and not are fricking phablets. Probably shouldn't be kept in pockets as they're essentially tablets.

But watching that it's obvious that the Note is definitely more equipped to handle bending. That's all it does. It doesn't mean it's a better phone or more durable in any other way, but it's definitely better in the bending department.

CTheBigPicture
09-24-2014, 11:06 AM
But watching that it's obvious that the Note is definitely more equipped to handle bending. That's all it does. It doesn't mean it's a better phone or more durable in any other way, but it's definitely better in the bending department.

agreed. Montana brought up the bending issue, hence the videos.

The main point though is that bending is a big issue for the first batch of these phones* (as opposed to this being a minor problem which can be ignored). Wait till the second batch

*not sure if a case would solve this though.

Ps I brought up the Note 3 video just to show that bending isn't an expected issue for phablets.

voyager
09-24-2014, 11:08 AM
The videos are pretty useless as a comparison. Taken individually it is concerning the 6+ bends, but by the same token if I had a phone that large I wouldn't keep it in my pocket, just like I don't keep my iPad in my pocket.

Not to nit pick, but the test he's doing is no way comparable to the forces experienced by the phone in a pocket. And has as much validity as the "will it blend" videos.

voyager
09-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Personsally I think phablets are kinda stupid

Habspatrol
09-24-2014, 11:24 AM
The videos are pretty useless as a comparison. Taken individually it is concerning the 6+ bends, but by the same token if I had a phone that large I wouldn't keep it in my pocket, just like I don't keep my iPad in my pocket.

Not to nit pick, but the test he's doing is no way comparable to the forces experienced by the phone in a pocket. And has as much validity as the "will it blend" videos.

Is it a controlled test with the exact same pressure on both phones and using like 100 of each? No... but come on... assuming this guy is not purposely deceiving us it's pretty obvious that the Note stands up better to bending. Again though, that's absolutely the only thing the videos show.

worm
09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
I've never had a phablet but of course I'd have to put it in my pocket. I don't have a purse!

also watch those videos again. The issue is whether or not you can leave your phone in your pocket without worry. It's obvious that iPhone 6+ owners can't do that while Note 3 owners can.

This is nothing new by the way. The first batch of the past four Apple phones have all had issues. If you are in the market, wait for the subsequent batches. Never be an early adapter.

Toskala doesnt use pockets.

voyager
09-24-2014, 11:45 AM
And blackberry has come out with the passport.

http://bgr.com/2014/09/24/blackberry-passport-release-date-pricing/

Deckie007
09-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Out of curiosity, which one did you buy? So many on that site.

Leafyblue
09-24-2014, 09:03 PM
The one I have is called Tronsmart TS7....but it's out of stock. The CUBOT One is the exact same phone though. When I found mine, it was 89 US....then I found a coupon for 10 bucks off...so it was basically the same price CDN shipped. I put a 32 gig card in it. So far it does everything I need it to do. Apparently if I root it, I can install Kit Kat.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CUBOT-ONE-4-7inch-HD-Screen-MTK6589-Quad-Core-Smart-Phone-1G-8G-8-0MP-Camera-Android-4-2-OS-3G-GPS-Black-318161.html

Metalleaf
09-24-2014, 09:14 PM
If you are sticking a phone in your back pocket and sit on it...of course its going to bend.

Deckie007
09-24-2014, 09:23 PM
The one I have is called Tronsmart TS7....but it's out of stock. The CUBOT One is the exact same phone though. When I found mine, it was 89 US....then I found a coupon for 10 bucks off...so it was basically the same price CDN shipped. I put a 32 gig card in it. So far it does everything I need it to do. Apparently if I root it, I can install Kit Kat.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CUBOT-ONE-4-7inch-HD-Screen-MTK6589-Quad-Core-Smart-Phone-1G-8G-8-0MP-Camera-Android-4-2-OS-3G-GPS-Black-318161.html

Cool, thanks.

MindzEye
09-24-2014, 09:45 PM

U mad bro?

Yeah....he mad.

Montana
09-24-2014, 10:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t7GNOSA.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7bEy3wH.jpg

Bleedsblue&white
09-24-2014, 10:40 PM
If you bend it back and forth really fast it recharges.
igyroscope

Metalleaf
09-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Just like putting it in a microwave.

MindzEye
09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Apple makes this really easy for me.

Habspatrol
09-24-2014, 11:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t7GNOSA.gif

http://i.imgur.com/7bEy3wH.jpg

Haha these guys are geniuses... cruel geniuses... but geniuses nonetheless.

CRL
09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
is this some kind of strange hate for an Apple? coze other devices bend same as this one and nobody gives a shit
http://www.youtube.com/embed/IROcoJeVfSI

Habsy
09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Get the Galaxy S5. It comes in handy checking your heart rate when you watch your teams play, or want to kill the driver in front of you.

voyager
09-25-2014, 09:38 AM
U mad bro?

Yeah....he mad.

Livid my friend, livid.

CTheBigPicture
09-25-2014, 10:07 AM
is this some kind of strange hate for an Apple? coze other devices bend same as this one and nobody gives a shit
http://www.youtube.com/embed/IROcoJeVfSI

well the main competitor for this new phablet is the note series which do not suffer from the same issue (no one has seen the note 4 yet though)

CTheBigPicture
09-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Ok so I went to a store yesterday and checked out the iPhone 6 Plus. Wife wants to buy one and I had to check how easily it actually bends. I've got to say, this bending thing has been exaggerated greatly. I applied some pressure to the phone and nothing happened. To me, it looks like if you put it in your back pocket, in a very tight jeans, sit on it for hours, then it'll bend. Who does that though?

voyager
09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Get the Galaxy S5. It comes in handy checking your heart rate when you watch your teams play, or want to kill the driver in front of you.

I have an Up24 band, and discovered that my average jerk off is the equivalent to walking ~1000 steps...

Volcanologist
09-25-2014, 12:10 PM
:lol

MindzEye
09-25-2014, 10:33 PM
http://i1.wp.com/www.brobible.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/samsung-apple-2.jpg?resize=640%2C486

Habsy
09-26-2014, 11:28 PM
I have an Up24 band, and discovered that my average jerk off is the equivalent to walking ~1000 steps...

So you like it slow eh?

voyager
09-27-2014, 10:20 AM
So you like it slow eh?

Gotta ride the edge

MindzEye
09-29-2014, 05:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AbcWBG7.gif

Habspatrol
09-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Now that's a great phone.

MindzEye
10-03-2014, 09:21 AM
http://lolnein.com/comics/smartphones2.gif

Habspatrol
10-03-2014, 11:35 AM
http://lolnein.com/comics/smartphones2.gif

:lol This has me giggling like a school girl.

CTheBigPicture
12-27-2014, 12:23 PM
So what phone did you end up purchasing? I bought the Note 4 on the day it launched (My first non-nexus Android device), and I have to say it's simply extraordinary. It's a computer really.

MindzEye
12-27-2014, 12:36 PM
I recently went out and got the Samsung S5....****ing beast of a phone, love it.

Leafin'
12-27-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm using a Nexus 5 at the moment. Got it at launch. Besides the camera and video/sound recording, its been a great phone at a good price. I was waiting for the Nexus 6 to come out, but they announced a pricepoint equal to an iphone or other premium phone so decided against it.

I've always wanted the Note.

Habspatrol
12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
I recently went out and got the Samsung S5....****ing beast of a phone, love it.

I have the S3 and love it. I probably won't upgrade for another year but I'm leaning towards the S5 or the Note. We'll see what's out there at the time. There will probably be a new Note by then.

TheCountofMonteCristo
12-27-2014, 05:47 PM
by next year S6 will be out. I have S4 and at times there isn't sound for voice calls which blows but overall phone is great.

Rumpleforeskin
12-27-2014, 07:17 PM
The new 2015 phones should all have the new sexy snapdragon 810 processor. I'll be looking to upgrade my S3 after spring.

trujaysfan
12-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Got the note 4 in Nov and I love it.

JohnnyHolmes
12-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I have the Nexus 4 in my repertoire and it blows after the lollipop update.

CTheBigPicture
12-29-2014, 11:52 AM
The new 2015 phones should all have the new sexy snapdragon 810 processor. I'll be looking to upgrade my S3 after spring.

Samsung just released a new Note 4 with 810 processor but it's only for the Korean market.

"Snapdragon 810's modem allows for 3x20MHz carrier aggregation, which will enable LTE speeds of up to 450Mbps on future Category 9 LTE networks. It can also reach peak speeds of 300Mbps on current Category 6 LTE networks."

Leafyblue
12-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Do any of you know someone with a OnePlusOne? I've yet to see a bad review of this phone...and it's relatively cheap.

https://oneplus.net/one#specifications

Habspatrol
12-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Haven't heard of it, but I like what I see. Adding it to my list of potentials.

Rumpleforeskin
02-26-2015, 12:41 PM
so my S3 died suddenly :(

Any opinion on the Nexus 6?

zeke
02-26-2015, 12:47 PM

+1

just awesome.

though the 6 will apparently be a huge step up.

number17
02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Have an S4, still have it, but company gave me the HTC One M8 and that's my every day phone now.

There's something about a solid metal body, and the phone's UI is SOOO smooth it makes the S4 feel stone-age slow.

zeke
02-26-2015, 01:00 PM
the 5 is like lightning. never seen anything like it. puts my friends' iphones and nexii to shame.

Rumpleforeskin
02-26-2015, 01:02 PM
so you guys are liking the S5 eh

zeke
02-26-2015, 01:05 PM
by all reports the note is actually much better, but I need a phone that fits in a pocket.

CTheBigPicture
02-26-2015, 01:10 PM
so my S3 died suddenly :(

Any opinion on the Nexus 6?
If you are going that size, I'll recommend the Note 4. Superior screen, you can swap batteries so battery life is not an issue (the phone's battery life is really good regardless), camera is great, SD card makes storage limits meaningless, and the spen which I personally love.

Ps the note comfortably fits in the pocket. Not sure about the Nexus 6.

Rumpleforeskin
02-26-2015, 01:22 PM
If you are going that size, I'll recommend the Note 4. Superior screen, you can swap batteries so battery life is not an issue (the phone's battery life is really good regardless), camera is great, SD card makes storage limits meaningless, and the spen which I personally love.

I like the size, plus the whole google phone angle. Not sure, how I'd feel about getting another Samsung. I liked my S3, but the sudden and random death is troubling.

Montana
02-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Note 4 the consensus best phone on the market right now if one is wanting that larger screen?

zeke
02-26-2015, 01:39 PM
i'd say so.

fergy57
02-26-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm happy with my s5. Note 4 seemed a little to big for what I was looking for.

Montana
02-26-2015, 03:30 PM
zeke, what did you have before this S5?

LeafOfFaith
02-26-2015, 03:32 PM
I had the 5, but got the 6 last month and like it a fair amount better.

zeke
02-26-2015, 03:53 PM
zeke, what did you have before this S5?

S2 LTE

worm
02-26-2015, 04:49 PM
+1

just awesome.

though the 6 will apparently be a huge step up.

any word when that one will come out?

zeke
02-26-2015, 05:00 PM
I thought spring, but LoF just said he has one already.

worm
02-26-2015, 05:10 PM
i think he was talking nexus

for the s6 i have heard spring and august

hoping for spring

trujaysfan
02-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Got the note 4 a few months ago and I love it. Don't know where to start with the compliments on it, 0 draw backs for me so far.

MindzEye
02-26-2015, 06:01 PM
S5 here...hands down the best phone I have owned or used. Have used company provided BB's (Q5, Z30, Bold) & iPhone's (4S & 5C), and have had a few LG's...and the S5 crushes all. Awesome ****ing phone.

CTheBigPicture
03-03-2015, 07:36 AM
So the S6 has been announced. Great specs, great looking BUT no SD card slot, no removable battery, and no waterproof feature. The first two differentiated Samsung phones for me. If I were in the market I'd be very dissapointed. After the note 4 I can't imagine how much worrying about not having battery life yet sucks.

I don't understand why people care about design. You wait an extra month to find the gold iphone, and promptly put a case on it. Here samsung went for a premium look at the cost of key features for people who will buy ugly cases.

rated
03-03-2015, 08:15 AM
The look of the phone is important, but shouldn't be the reason you buy or don't buy a phone. Not everyone use cases, a lot of people just use tempered glass.

No SD card sucks, but the phone can be bought with 128 GB. Removable battery is only useful for a small amount of people. I find waterproof is overrated, unless you constantly drop your phone in the toilet then whats the problem ? Get a tempered glass protector, it's water proof.

This honestly looks like one of the better galaxy phones yet. s3 was a bit of a disappointment, s4 was what s3 should of been and s5 was meh, pretty good.

I wonder how the battery in the s6 will be. Bigger screen, bigger processor, but smaller battery compared to the s5.

S5 here...hands down the best phone I have owned or used. Have used company provided BB's (Q5, Z30, Bold) & iPhone's (4S & 5C), and have had a few LG's...and the S5 crushes all. Awesome ****ing phone.

Cell phones these days are like an arms race. Comparing an S5 to phones made a couple of years before the s5 I would most certainly expect the s5 to crush the ones you listed lol

CRL
03-03-2015, 08:15 AM

no IPhone 5S or 6? kind of strange compare

MindzEye
03-03-2015, 08:33 AM
So the S6 has been announced. Great specs, great looking BUT no SD card slot, no removable battery, and no waterproof feature. The first two differentiated Samsung phones for me. If I were in the market I'd be very dissapointed. After the note 4 I can't imagine how much worrying about not having battery life yet sucks.

I don't understand why people care about design. You wait an extra month to find the gold iphone, and promptly put a case on it. Here samsung went for a premium look at the cost of key features for people who will buy ugly cases.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully they have something new out before I replace my S5, because I have no intention on getting something without expandable memory. One of the SD card manufacturers just released a 200gb card.

CTheBigPicture
03-03-2015, 08:36 AM
The look of the phone is important, but shouldn't be the reason you buy or don't buy a phone. Not everyone use cases, a lot of people just use tempered glass.

No SD card sucks, but the phone can be bought with 128 GB. Removable battery is only useful for a small amount of people. I find waterproof is overrated, unless you constantly drop your phone in the toilet then whats the problem ? Get a tempered glass protector, it's water proof.

This honestly looks like one of the better galaxy phones yet. s3 was a bit of a disappointment, s4 was what s3 should of been and s5 was meh, pretty good.

I wonder how the battery in the s6 will be. Bigger screen, bigger processor, but smaller battery compared to the s5.

Cell phones these days are like an arms race. Comparing an S5 to phones made a couple of years before the s5 I would most certainly expect the s5 to crush the ones you listed lol
I've charged my note 4 AND my wife's a total of 4 or 5 times since October. We have one extra battery between the two of us that we keep popping in and out. We literally never worry about battery life. It's a key feature that was taken out to make the phone look better.

Sure some people don't use cases (I don't), but most people do and most people demand better design at the same time. I don't get it personally.

And about the SD card. 1- sure you now have to cough up 100 dollars for extra storage which is not good. 2- adding files to the sd card is much easier unmounted (if your computer has sd card slot)

For me though the removable battery feature is SO critical. I hope they don't take it out of the note series.

MindzEye
03-03-2015, 08:47 AM
no IPhone 5S or 6? kind of strange compare

Was a personal comparison. I don't jump from phone to phone just because something is new and shiny. Most of the phones I've used have been work phones, company provided.

Habsy
03-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I'm running the S4 waiting on the S6. Wife has the S5. I'm sticking with Samsung, tired of Apple's proprietary shit.

Habsy
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM

Wait what? Why the **** would they do that? I've got all my music on the micro SD and loved the removable battery as I always carry a spare. All this time I skipped the 5 waiting for the 6 and they do this?

Got a link?

MindzEye
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm running the S4 waiting on the S6. Wife has the S5. I'm sticking with Samsung, tired of Apple's proprietary shit.

+1

The S5 was my first Samsung, and I was planning ~2 years out of it minimum, so I knew I was going to be leapfrogging the S6 anyway. Expandable memory and removable batteries are also fairly big selling features for me (I carry a fully charged spare at all time with the amount of time I spend ****ing about with planes and airports and shit). If Samsung starts doing away with that, I'll look at whatever HTC or LG is offering for flagship phones when I replace the S5 in a few years.

Aberdeen
03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
With cloud storage I don't really have a need for much on board memory anymore.

zeke
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
the problem is that they F'ed up the S5 rollout, so now it seems they panicked and copied the iphone for the 6.

even happier with the S5 purchase now.

MindzEye
03-03-2015, 11:19 AM
With cloud storage I don't really have a need for much on board memory anymore.

music?

CTheBigPicture
03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Wait what? Why the **** would they do that? I've got all my music on the micro SD and loved the removable battery as I always carry a spare. All this time I skipped the 5 waiting for the 6 and they do this?

Got a link?
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/03/galaxy-s6-samsung-sacrificed-what-does-best-war-apple

UWHabs
03-03-2015, 11:48 AM
music?

How much music do you really need? Even at 16gb, just means you need to update the music on your phone weekly to keep it fresh enough.

MindzEye
03-03-2015, 11:54 AM
How much music do you really need? Even at 16gb, just means you need to update the music on your phone weekly to keep it fresh enough.

You wouldn't have 16 gb for music though, OS & apps will take up a large chunk of that. I can absolutely say that 5-6 gb's of music isn't enough. So why not buy a 64 gb chip that I can swap in between my phone and tablet (which I neither have, nor want a data plan on). Book collection, music, videos, etc. Why should I need internet access to have the ability to utilize all of that?

Cloud storage is great if you 1) have a monstrous data plan & 2) Are always somewhere with stable and fast internet connections. If you're in the mountains of Mexico and you want to read a book that's on your Kobo library, but not loaded to your local storage, you're kind of ****ed.

worm
03-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Only thing that disappoints me is the lack of sd card.

Probably still get it.

My current (HTC one) doesnt have it either.

Urmm...Maybe the s5 will be cheap now.

Montana
03-20-2015, 12:45 PM

Cheers for this post.

Led to me picking up a Note 4 for myself when I killed my iPhone....took a little while to adjust to having such a large phone, but now I couldn't imagine going back.

So much interaction with friends & the internet in general now involves instantly sharing/watching videos, and it's great being able to watch them all on such a big crisp screen like this...

For all the wise cracks you hear about these larger phones being "phablets"....to me thats kinda the beauty of it. I get the quality and ease of use of a Tablet, but the portability a cell. Its the perfect happy medium.

Camera is also phenomenal.

...and yeah, once you start using the s-pen it's hard to imagine not having it.

CTheBigPicture
03-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Cheers for this post.

Led to me picking up a Note 4 for myself when I killed my iPhone....took a little while to adjust to having such a large phone, but now I couldn't imagine going back.

So much interaction with friends & the internet in general now involves instantly sharing/watching videos, and it's great being able to watch them all on such a big crisp screen like this...

For all the wise cracks you hear about these larger phones being "phablets"....to me thats kinda the beauty of it. I get the quality and ease of use of a Tablet, but the portability a cell. Its the perfect happy medium.

Camera is also phenomenal.

...and yeah, once you start using the s-pen it's hard to imagine not having it.
Awesome. You haven't even scratched the surface I'm pretty sure yet.

1- Download Nova Launcher and you can introduce hand gestures to the phone (ie swipe two fingers up on home screen to directly call a friend) and you can customize the look of the phone.

For customization also look into Zooper widget and Kustom live wallpaper.

Also don't forget to use the "swipe" action with Nova. You can, for instance, add an icon to your home screen which gets you to the MS One note app. You also are an avid user of Google Keep but don't want to clutter up your screen with yet another icon. Nova let's you swipe up on an icon in order to trigger another app. As you add that option the the same icon you used for One Note.

Along the same lines, Nova let's you use shortcuts. I use this for twitter for instance. Swipe up on the icon immidiately takes me to the compose menu, press on it, takes me to my lists to see others' tweets.

2- download MW-PEN in order to make apps that don't support multiwindow, support it

3- download MW shortcut to put multi window shortcuts right on your home screen as icons, instead of having to long press on the back button to bring up the multi window screen

4- download Pop Up Widget 2. This let's you hide widgets behind icons so they don't clutter your home screen. Also saves battery since the widgets aren't running all the time (so it's no good for a sports widget but is good for a task list, Calendar etc.). You press on an icon and the widget immediately shows up.

Also going back to the swipe action I mentioned in point one, you can set a widget to pop up upon press, and another widget to pop up upon swipe.

5- Now everything above, except hardcore customization with Zooper and Kustom requires little to no learning. Next app TASKER does. It is the app that defines Android for me. Some of the things I use it for:

A) menu pops up with a selection of apps and shortcuts when I plug in my headset

B) phone syncs my email et al automatically every half an hour (so no need to have sync on 24/7 hence saves battery)

C) phone goes to silence and some other stuff during the time I'm sleeping. Actions are reversed in the morning.

D) phone automatically turns on screen rotation when I'm in a gallary app. Turns it off when I'm out of it.

I think this is good enough for now lol. Let me know if you have any questions.

SENSible
03-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Just got the S5, very happy with it so far.

CTheBigPicture
03-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Just got the S5, very happy with it so far.
Nice. All of the apps I mentioned above should work for the S5 as well if you'd like to give them a shot.

number17
03-20-2015, 01:39 PM
HTC One M8 (and I believe upcoming M9) support SD card.

And Samsung's gone without SD card for a reason - Samsung's been working hard to get into those big corporate accounts, and one of the security requirement is no SD card. With internal storage you can encrypt it and remotely erase everything if the phone is lost. This is a requirement for a lot of the big corporations. Since S4, Samsung's begun to restrict what can be put on the SD card and what cannot. They finally figured it may be best to just rid the SD card to comply with security rules.

I have an S4, and a HTC m8 (work and personal phone) and I love the HTC. It runs so much faster despite similar spec's as the S4, and the phone feels SOLID in your hand compared to the plastic S4. Anyone who's considering the S5, or even the S6 (which I know, is a lot more solid than its plastic predecessors) should give the HTC m9 a close look.

Montana
03-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Awesome. You haven't even scratched the surface I'm pretty sure yet.

1- Download Nova Launcher and you can introduce hand gestures to the phone (ie swipe two fingers up on home screen to directly call a friend) and you can customize the look of the phone.

For customization also look into Zooper widget and Kustom live wallpaper.

Also don't forget to use the "swipe" action with Nova. You can, for instance, add an icon to your home screen which gets you to the MS One note app. You also are an avid user of Google Keep but don't want to clutter up your screen with yet another icon. Nova let's you swipe up on an icon in order to trigger another app. As you add that option the the same icon you used for One Note.

Along the same lines, Nova let's you use shortcuts. I use this for twitter for instance. Swipe up on the icon immidiately takes me to the compose menu, press on it, takes me to my lists to see others' tweets.

2- download MW-PEN in order to make apps that don't support multiwindow, support it

3- download MW shortcut to put multi window shortcuts right on your home screen as icons, instead of having to long press on the back button to bring up the multi window screen

4- download Pop Up Widget 2. This let's you hide widgets behind icons so they don't clutter your home screen. Also saves battery since the widgets aren't running all the time (so it's no good for a sports widget but is good for a task list, Calendar etc.). You press on an icon and the widget immediately shows up.

Also going back to the swipe action I mentioned in point one, you can set a widget to pop up upon press, and another widget to pop up upon swipe.

5- Now everything above, except hardcore customization with Zooper and Kustom requires little to no learning. Next app TASKER does. It is the app that defines Android for me. Some of the things I use it for:

A) menu pops up with a selection of apps and shortcuts when I plug in my headset

B) phone syncs my email et al automatically every half an hour (so no need to have sync on 24/7 hence saves battery)

C) phone goes to silence and some other stuff during the time I'm sleeping. Actions are reversed in the morning.

D) phone automatically turns on screen rotation when I'm in a gallary app. Turns it off when I'm out of it.

I think this is good enough for now lol. Let me know if you have any questions.

Brilliant, I'll definitely give all those a shit. .....any other day to day apps you'd recommend? For instance I'm looking for a good podcast app as 'Castro' was iphone exclusive....and shit like stitcher is pretty 'meh'.

CTheBigPicture
03-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Brilliant, I'll definitely give all those a shit. .....any other day to day apps you'd recommend? For instance I'm looking for a good podcast app as 'Castro' was iphone exclusive....and shit like stitcher is pretty 'meh'.
I use Podcast addict which is lighter. Others use dogctacher, and beyond pod a lot too.

For other day to day apps:

1- buy FireTube before google takes it off the store. This let's you play youtube videos without the video, hence you can turn off the screen and just listen. Good for music

2- MS One note: it's great for note taking. It recognizes had writing via spen, and typing with keyboard. It syncs nicely with Mac and Pc clients as well. It's my go to note taking app.

3- Use Wunderlist as your to do app

4- I hate the Facebook app both for privacy and battery issues. I use tinfoil for Facebook. It's basically facebook's mobile site in form of an app. It's also modifiable via mw pen for multiwindow

Use an app called IFTTT (if this then that) and create a recipe so that you receive notifications as well.

5- I use Business Calendar 2 as my calendar app. You can give that a shot see if you like it.

6- I use an app called Screen filter. One press on its widget or using gestures via Nova and it dims my screen beyond the minimum for when I'm in bed.

7- of course Tapatalk to view this foru.

8- I like Real Calculator Plus. It has a nice UI and I've made it multiwindow supported via the MW-PEN app

9- I use TuneIn radio for radio

10- Activate side key panel via the setting menu and make it invisible. It's great for one handed operation. Let's you go back, open recent apps, etc without having to use the other hand

11- I use moneylover to keep track of my expenses.

12 - I've found the CBS sports app's widget the least battery consuming one

13 - I also use the smart remote app that came with the phone.

Other than these little things may bug you. Let me know and I may know how to solve them. It's android. There is usually a solution for it

Rumpleforeskin
03-20-2015, 03:22 PM
IFTTT is an amazing app

CTheBigPicture
03-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Oh and I totally forgot the app Pushbullet. Let's you communicate between phone and tablet and computer seamlessly.

Leafyblue
03-20-2015, 03:51 PM
If you want a Sat Nav on your phone, I recommend this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en

It even works offline if you don't want to use Data. Just download the maps in your location and set it to OFFLINE and it works great.

worm
03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
also got the note 4

gg

CTheBigPicture
03-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Has anyone played this game? any good? (it's on sale now)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t2ksports.nhl2k15

also @Montana, for podcasts, check out Pocket Casts. Looks like that's one of power users' favourites.

Deckie007
03-27-2015, 10:30 AM
If you want a Sat Nav on your phone, I recommend this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en

It even works offline if you don't want to use Data. Just download the maps in your location and set it to OFFLINE and it works great.

Thanks, installed and it's awesome.

Leafyblue
03-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Yeah..it's fantastic for a free app with no ads. :)

CTheBigPicture
03-29-2015, 03:04 PM
If you guys have a Mac and an Android (may work with Windows too not sure), download Pushbullet on your computer and phone.

Amongst other things you can:

1- See and dismiss your phone's notifications on your computer
2- You can send SMS from your computer
3- You can turn on universal copy and paste: you copy something on your computer, you pick up your phone, press paste and voila. and viceversa. This works in the background and for all apps.

Deckie007
03-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Pretty neat. You can install it as an extension in Chrome. I'm diggin' it.

CTheBigPicture
03-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah. There is a firefox extention as well.

UWHabs
04-17-2015, 11:11 AM
So I shattered my iphone 5 screen today. I was planning on getting a new phone soon anyways, and was likely just going to sell the old iphone, do you think I'd be better to get the screen replaced before trying to sell it? I assume trying to sell a phone on kijiji with a cracked screen is going to be full of people completely lowballing me, so I imagine I'd do better selling it with the new screen.

The other part with that is deciding if the phones out now are worth it, or if I'd be better to wait for the next batch of phones to come out, and either grab a new one there or grab one of the current gen models for cheaper. Haven't been following along too much - is it worth the wait?

CTheBigPicture
04-17-2015, 11:36 AM
So I shattered my iphone 5 screen today. I was planning on getting a new phone soon anyways, and was likely just going to sell the old iphone, do you think I'd be better to get the screen replaced before trying to sell it? I assume trying to sell a phone on kijiji with a cracked screen is going to be full of people completely lowballing me, so I imagine I'd do better selling it with the new screen.

The other part with that is deciding if the phones out now are worth it, or if I'd be better to wait for the next batch of phones to come out, and either grab a new one there or grab one of the current gen models for cheaper. Haven't been following along too much - is it worth the wait?
Are you planning to buy another iPhone? Or leaving the darkside for bigger and better things? (I love my Note 4. You should look into it)

Also do you live in Toronto? You can probably get the screen fixed at pacific mall for about a hundred.

Habspatrol
04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I'd think you'd be better off replacing the screen.

The new gen phones are still pretty new. Getting one now gives you more time before they are outdated.

Leafyblue
04-17-2015, 11:38 AM
It's pretty easy to fix the screen yourself if you are even a little bit handy at that sort of thing. I've fixed a few 3gs and 4gs in the past. I haven't done a 5..though youtube has a few how too vids. Warranty is gone if you do it yourself though. Still...for 30 bucks you can get the whole front digitizer.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LCD-Lens-Touch-Screen-Display-Digitizer-Assembly-Replacement-for-iPhone-5-White-/390818204365

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe2m-niGX-U

If you can find somebody else to do it for 100 bucks...go for it.

UWHabs
04-17-2015, 11:43 AM
I'll be back in TO in 2 weeks, so was likely going to wait to get home to fix it. Yeah, I see the kits for 30-60, and I can likely handle that myself, but I am not necessarily the best at it, so if it's not a lot more expensive, I'd probably rather someone else do it. Apple can do it for 150 it looks like - P-Mall is a good idea for cheap. Way past warranty - phone is over 3 years old, hence looking around for a new one. Not tied to Apple, either. Likely looking at the big 3 (M9, iPhone6, or Galaxy S6), but will have to try them out to make sure the sizes seem good for me.

Habspatrol
04-17-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm really eyeing the Note 4 when I upgrade.

Aberdeen
04-17-2015, 11:48 AM
I have the LG G3 and it's fantastic, it's older than the Note 4 though and probably not as good (but much cheaper). I'm sure the LG G4 will excellent.

The decision to upgrade is so subjective. Depends how you use your phone and your budget.

blacksheep
04-28-2015, 09:34 PM
link (http://bgr.com/2015/04/28/galaxy-s6-vs-iphone-6-design-features/)

The photo below, for instance, showcases the respective undersides of each device, with the Galaxy S6 on the bottom and the iPhone 6 on top.

http://cdn.bgr.com/2015/04/iphone-galaxy-s6.jpg?w=624

As you can tell, the headphone jack, the lightning port, and the speaker grill on the iPhone are all perfectly centered. On the Galaxy S6? Not so much.

Now will this have any practical impact on how much one enjoys using each device? Of course not. Still, the overarching theme here is that Apple simply pays attention to the details that most other companies either ignore or deem wholly irrelevant.
iPhone reviewer grasping at straws. Perfectly aligned holes in the bottom make zero difference to functionality, nor design quality, but if it makes one happier... by all means... have at it.

worm
04-29-2015, 11:49 AM
that isnt the onion?

MindzEye
04-29-2015, 09:03 PM
that isnt the onion?

A non satirical, Apple fanboy version of...yes.