• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OH oh

I know the media likes to throw out the term "Canada's team" to whip up a reaction, but with six NHL franchises in Canada (seven, if you count the Senators), there's no such thing as "Canada's Team", besides the team we send to the Olympics every four years.

As far as national support though, there's no question the Habs are up there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs' numbers have slipped in the past decade either. An entire new generation of hockey fans have grown up or become hockey fans with the Leafs' as a constant, non-playoff shit-show, which has certainly been a lot less captivating to kids or new hockey fans than the Gilmour/Clark era, or the peak of the Sundin/Quinn years.

However, that being said, I think it's a pretty good sign that this poll is fatally flawed when it claims that:

A) The Habs have double the national support the Leafs do
B) The Leafs and Canucks have the same level of national support

There's just absolutely no way that either of those claims are even remotely true.

I always get a kick out of people taking so much pride in how many other people are fans of the same team as them. I love the Habs and it just so happens that a fukton of other people do... but that doesn't mean I'm similar to those people, or that I even like a lot of them. Same would be true if I were a Leaf fan or a Nashville fan. I cheer for the team on the ice not the people in the crowd or at home.

My first thought at seeing the thread title was that another poster was getting sued by Brian Burke.

I know the media likes to throw out the term "Canada's team" to whip up a reaction, but with six NHL franchises in Canada (seven, if you count the Senators), there's no such thing as "Canada's Team", besides the team we send to the Olympics every four years.

This.

As far as national support though, there's no question the Habs are up there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs' numbers have slipped in the past decade either. An entire new generation of hockey fans have grown up or become hockey fans with the Leafs' as a constant, non-playoff shit-show, which has certainly been a lot less captivating to kids or new hockey fans than the Gilmour/Clark era, or the peak of the Sundin/Quinn years.

However, that being said, I think it's a pretty good sign that this poll is fatally flawed when it claims that:

A) The Habs have double the national support the Leafs do
B) The Leafs and Canucks have the same level of national support

There's just absolutely no way that either of those claims are even remotely true.

10 years of utter shit teams might just accomplish this. You have to consider the very loose definition of fan they've likely used -- which would be the flaw in their work. There's no way 53% of the population watches hockey with any serious kind of regularity (the number they have listed as NHL fans). There's a lot of very casual fans in there who likely just go with the current flavours (only the Habs and Nucks have seen much playoffs in recent years).

Im pretty sure he chews on his shoe laces.

Btw I think I walked past you yesterday at City Centre food court. Or you have a twin brother you dont know about.

Well my twin lives in Toronto.

I was kinda by the City Centre food court. I am wearing red today....I mean stop stalking me.

This.

10 years of utter shit teams might just accomplish this. You have to consider the very loose definition of fan they've likely used -- which would be the flaw in their work. There's no way 53% of the population watches hockey with any serious kind of regularity (the number they have listed as NHL fans). There's a lot of very casual fans in there who likely just go with the current flavours (only the Habs and Nucks have seen much playoffs in recent years).

True but casual fans are still fans. They did breakdown the type of fans (extreme, enthusiastic, regular and part time), in their questioning.

The Habs get all the french...I'm pretty sure. I can't think offhand of ever meeting a Leaf fan who's first language was quebecough.

Back