• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

ANYBODY REMEMBER A CANES PRIZE CONTEST?

*AH*

I'm not sure I do and just vaguely filling out some card. But I got a call this morning from a gal named, ironically, Rutu (yeah she spelled it), I guess one of the sales folks, telling me I'd won a team signed stick. I suppose it's legit, the call was on the Canes sales number. Whatever, it's pretty cool anyway. I can pick it up at the silent auction table tomorrow night.

Many moons ago an employee of mine won a trip to Scandinavia from a Canes drawing.
The travel Company the Canes either used or retained to handle the arrangements went out of business.
The Canes made good on the trip. My employee had no other issues with the trip that I am aware of.

Years ago, before we were here on this site (anyone remember Hurricanes Survivor??-- it was that board)- it was the second true Canes bulletin board-- the Canes came on and offered prizes for a playoff pick 'em contest. One of the prizes was a signed team stick and the grand prize was a sheet of uncut player cards. Well, I won the team signed stick for the most correct guesses. This must have been the post-season after the 2002 Stanley Cup run-- 2002-2003? I ended up picking up my stick in guest services the night of a Jimmy Buffet concert. I think it has Staal, Francis and Brind'Amour on it. Maybe it was the 2003-04 season... I'll have to look.

If you watch sticks that are auctioned off, they are rarely the whole team-- usually one player or a select group such as the captain and alternates. The last team signed stick I got was from the team that went to the Stanley Cup. It was signed before we brought in Recchi and Weight, but it has Brind'Amour, Williams, Gerber, Staal, Cole, LaRose, Ward, along with Zigomonis. I am happy with it...

Lucky you, Allen. It's always nice to win something, and a real treat when it's unexpected!

Congrats on the signed stick Allen. I doubt there's any topping the signed game worn sweater you won though.

Many years ago the Hurricanes had a contest where participants submitted a photo of themselves wearing Hurricanes gear in the most unusual place. My buddy who sits next to me won the contest by having his wife take a picture of him wearing a 'Canes sweater when they were scuba diving in the Bahamas. First prize was an all-expenses trip to Buffalo to see the Hurricanes play the Sabres, lunch with Tripp at the Anchor for beers & wings, a Niagara Falls tour, Getting to watch some of the game from the press box as John & Tripp called the game, and more extras.

His wife had no interest in going to Buffalo in February & he asked me to go along. It was a serious blast and we had a great time. The Buffalo fans there were as nice as they could be and we a lot of fun to party with.

On the way up there we had a stopover at the Pittsburgh airport. The Hurricanes had just beat the Pens the night before when Cam Ward stopped Mario Lemieux in a shootout to seal the win. We were sporting our 'Canes gear and got booed by about a dozen people as we walked through the terminal.

Oh, I also won a Hurricanes jersey by unscrambling Tyler Moss' name between periods one year.

Jim

Jim, I remember that pic of Steve, it was great!

And the best prize Jim refers to was winning the jersey off Ron Francis' back after the last home game in 2001. That thing has not been washed and even after bunches of bottles of Fabreze, still smells. It has puck marks and others and a spot of blood - on the back so it isn't likely his.

But I'm looking forward to getting that stick tonight.

I won tickets to see Cirque du Soleil in concert. Not the acrobatic troupe, the orchestra that backs them up.

Well, I got the stick at the Nashville game, it's Eye store quality replica but it was indeed signed by all of the current roster including Nestrasil. I figured out who/what each was - man these guys for some silly-assed reason practice the most incomprehensible autographs. I wonder if they sign checks with such scratchings? I know it's the 'culture'. Even some of the numbers were hard to decipher. The only hockey I know of who gives a legible autograph is Ray Whitney, who said Jack Nicklaus advised him to make it very readable, "If nobody can read it what is it worth".

I'm going to make a chart of the sigs along with a short bio - for posterity.

I've made a mistake (who me?) with a red jersey starting with the 2nd season in G'boro, that is my general clipboard. I have 8 that are signed only by the player whose name is on the back. I can only identify about half of the signees, even with numbers as I have no idea what season most of these mystery inkings are from. But I really haven't tried too hard, most of 'em I can prob'ly figure out.

In 2003, when JR kept most of the team 'intact' after the Cup run against Detroit, my daughter put a lot of work into getting most of that team to sign a 'poster', centered with a finals ticket and had it framed for a Christmas present. She comes up with some really neat gift ideas and creates very memorable and imaginative keepsakes.

Back