• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Magazines, do you still read them, if so which ones?

CTheBigPicture

Leafs Moderator
Staff member
I can't remember the last time I subscribed to a magazine (Scientific American I think it was). Also read Times, McLeans, etc. On and off I have also read the Hockey News, Slam, SI, etc.

There is just so much info on the net these days. Do you still read magazines? if so which ones?

I read the online version of some magazines....if that counts. But mainly use aggregation websites (reddit, etc) to find content to read.

Other than that, no.

I read the online version of some magazines....if that counts. But mainly use aggregation websites (reddit, etc) to find content to read.

Other than that, no.

Oh yeah digital version > print version. Yeah I use reddit et al too. I was just wondering if there are magazines that aren't on my radar that are pretty good to read.

I read the economist in print. It kind of forces me to read things that in the online format I would just skip over. Also gets me away from the computer / phone which is everywhere else in my life.

I still buy the odd Hockey News if the cover looks good... then I never read it and toss it out a month later.

Subscribe to GQ, & like to pick up the New Yorker......still love the tactile feel of a book/magazine/comic over tablets, so like having that shit around to read with my morning coffee.

Also buy monthly comics like "Saga" & Ed Brubaker's crime noir "The Fade Out"........but other than those 4 or 5 sources, the majority of my up to date reading material comes from the net.

Used to be a stickler for the tactile sensation of the real thing, but the utility of have 1000's of books and comics on my tablet won out over time. Then of course was the epic pain in the ass of deciding what to do with all of my physical books when I was moving from Alberta to Ontario a few years ago. You can only start your collection from scratch so many times before you say **** it and move on.

used to subscribe to Nintendo Power and SI...but now I just pick up the occasional mag if the contents interest me enough. My dad used to subscribe to National Geographic...and now that he's gone they just sit here and I don't know what to do with decades worth of NG.

Used to be a stickler for the tactile sensation of the real thing, but the utility of have 1000's of books and comics on my tablet won out over time. Then of course was the epic pain in the ass of deciding what to do with all of my physical books when I was moving from Alberta to Ontario a few years ago. You can only start your collection from scratch so many times before you say **** it and move on.

For me its two seperate experiences.....I'll read my Grantland, Vice, reddit, guardian.uk, nytimes, etc all digitally.....as well as about 75-80% of my comics books. But I find that kind of reading to be purely entertainment and a little more passive in how I consume it.

If I want to really dive into something and savour it (for lack of a better term)......I prefer to own a physical copy of it......specifically im thinking of things like Absolute Editions of my comic books, or Omnibuses....Sandman, Invisibles, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Parker, etc.....a leatherbound copy of Sherlock Holmes, or physical copies of Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Cervantes, etc....or even a just a physical copy of a monthly comic.

When I read digitally I find that I'm exponentially less focused and more easily distracted.....also far more likely to stop and check Twitter mid read, or FI, or email, or iMessages, etc......with the stuff I genuinely care about though, I sit down in my leather chair to read the physical copy of, and that's the only thing I'm gonna be doing for the next hour or so. They're just two completely different experiences for me. It's not a either/or for me....it's just each one has its own specific purpose/value to me.

Or in the case of GQ......I also like having a quick easy read, while on the throne.

The New Yorker subscription is the best $2 I spend every week. Also get GQ and Wired every month for 50 cents/per issue each. Of course, I read a ton of stuff online.

Last edited:
I agree with Montana on the sensory experience of magazine/book reading. I buy the NHL yearbooks when they come out, GQ is another I pick up, used to get Architectural Digest in the day and National Geographic (but dropped both of the latter).

I subscribe to Scientific American and mostly read it while in the bathroom.

Everything else I tend get off of Twitter or reddit. I do however enjoy the tactile aspect of physical newspapers.

I see a couple of posters have indirectly raised the truly essential question: is society ready for reading tablets whilst taking a dump?

Anywho, it's a tricky business these days. Blogs are a powerhouse, and the talent can easily migrate from one organization to another. Frankly, some magazines have improved markedly due to new platforms and the stiff competition.

Last edited:
I like both tablets and paper formats. The former is especially great when travelling. I never have time to read in the bathroom; suspect some of you guys need to eat more fibre.

Back