• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Habs @ Canes 12/29 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The last home game of the year. The Habs won at the Bell Centre 13 days ago behind Alex Galchenyuk's first career hat trick.

Jordan Staal and Tlusty will be back for the Canes. Both participated in an energetic practice yesterday, with Jordan skating with Eric and Gerbe. Tlusty will probably go with Rask and Terry. Ward was in the starter's crease at practice. Nestrasil and Semin are still out.

This is the first game of a 4 game road trip for Montreal. The Habs have won 5 of their last 6. Peters spent a lot of time yesterday talking about the Pacioretty/Galchenyuk/Gallagher line. Pacioretty leads the team with 13 goals and 27 points, Galchenyuk is right behind with 10 goals and 25 points. Gallagher also has 10 goals. Old friend Bryan Allen has been out for 6 games with an illness but has returned to practice. Price goes in goal.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

I'll be there on STH vouchers (PSA: Last game to use those A-Vouchers!)

Good timing to see JStaal back on the ice for us. Hopefully it's an exciting, close game that ends in a 4-3 or 5-4 regulation loss #mcdavid

I guess it'll be good to see Jordan back in the lineup, but he's going to have to be a lot more noticeable than he was most of the time last season for that to actually be true.

Either way, Montreal is a MUCH better team and playing well. So I hope people don't have their hopes set too high.

In essence, this is our starting lineup with no significant losses. Granted, JStaal will not be at game speed, but we'll see how we match up to a true cup contender in the east. Hopefully it's an exciting, close game that ends in a 4-3 or 5-4 regulation loss #mcdavid

Going to be a bigger crowd tonight looking at ticketmaster. Looks like 17k+ possible.... Plan accordingly.

We've been miserably failing by committee covering for the multitude of good things that Jordan Staal single-handedly does for a team. I don't expect an immediate miracle, but it will make a difference.

And, unlike before, we now have both the center depth and the system to realistically try the Staal brothers pairing. Heck, they have to throw Gerbe in there just to stay below the "it ain't fair" average height/weight number for that first line with those two big 'ole farm boys out there together.

I'm looking forward to it.

Tripp the dumb ass. Announces during the Canes power play that the first goal will win this game - then the Habs player comes out of the box and scores. Game over re: the trippster!

Back from the game; at least it was entertaining. Few thoughts:
- like others have said, Jordan needs to be headed back to Charlotte. Way over his head. Murphy? Biega?
- Nash needs to bury those grade A changes
- heard some boos when Eric gave his "dangler" routine instead of actually going after a puck whole heartedly
-glad to see the decent crowd; surprised the canes didn't bring more "jam" to the game with the crowd support

I hope Jordan isn't hurt, but his limping off the ice during the final minute of play was concerning. I thought he came out playing strong and was very noticable on the ice. Also, I saw a lot of no-calls go against the Canes, but that doesn't matter when you can't score anyway I think we hold the Habs to 5 shots in the 2nd and 4 shots in the 3rd - and they score 3 goals. That really hurts. The end of the season just can't get here fast enough for this STH.

On that 1st goal, there were three red shirts, notably Hainsey, ALL turned toward the goalie/net before the shot. Now how in hell can you stop a shot from behind? Were they all saying, "OK, Cam this is up to you"? Who taught them that maneuver?

On that 1st goal, there were three red shirts, notably Hainsey, ALL turned toward the goalie/net before the shot. Now how in hell can you stop a shot from behind? Were they all saying, "OK, Cam this is up to you"? Who taught them that maneuver?

It's déjà vu all over again.

From the last time we played these guys...with annotation:

image.jpg

And yes it was Hainsey with his back turned to the shooter, facing the goal, that time, too.

Just what does he think his responsibility is in this situation?!?

Source

Last edited:
Simple answer: Net presence. Going off of memory as I only saw the play live: I believe the Habs had two guys practically standing on top of Ward (though not enterfering with him). Hainsey and the Center (can't remember who) were engaged with those two players. When Sekac was able to undress Bellemore, neither of the wingers were in a position to pick him up (not that it's their responsibility anyway), and he gets a free shot with Ward completely screened.

THIS is what the 'Canes lack. When was the last time you saw TWO 'Canes making life miserable for an opposing teams goalie? Sure, we occasionally have two guys wander through the slot, but they are either easily moved out by the defense, or move themselves out because they don't want to take the punishment.

I like Peters, but I'm seeing WAY too much of the Paul Maurice dump and lose, and three guys behind the net, with no one in front for my liking.

T

I like Peters, but I'm seeing WAY too much of the Paul Maurice dump and lose, and three guys behind the net, with no one in front for my liking.

It appears only Riley "never going to score from right in front of the net" Nash understands that someone needs to be in that spot. How about next time Nash goes behind the net and centers the puck right out in front to Jeff Skinner instead of the other way around?

I just realized today they had credited that TB goal from Saturday night to Nash. His early season magic is long gone....

Back