• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Semi-OT: Karmanos sells OHL Whalers

In a move that was heralded in December when Karmanos sold Compuware Arena to the US National Developmental Team, it was announced today that he will also sell the Plymouth Whalers to a group that will move them to Flint for the upcoming season.

In a personally bittersweet moment, the article notes that there will be a name the team competition in the offseason, meaning the end of another Whalers team.

In a personally bittersweet moment, the article notes that there will be a name the team competition in the offseason, meaning the end of another Whalers team.

The Flint We Hate GMers?????

Seriously. There was speculation awhile back about the team being relocated to Ontario, so for the locals this is an improvement? Sort of? Dunno.
Either way Karmanos continues to cut ties with Detroit now that he's completely out of Compuware. I understand he's already spending a much larger chunk of his time down here in NC.

He's just liquidating his assets, and doing so in a responsible manner, IMO.

Just as he said he would like to take his ownership here to the 50% level and then work downward from there.

In a move that was heralded in December when Karmanos sold Compuware Arena to the US National Developmental Team, it was announced today that he will also sell the Plymouth Whalers to a group that will move them to Flint for the upcoming season.

OMG, Flint. Used to spend a lot of "quality" time up there in the late 90s. I shutter at the thought of dodging the drive-by bullets to grab a hockey game. Some nice folks too but wow, what a depressed area.

OMG, Flint. Used to spend a lot of "quality" time up there in the late 90s. I shutter at the thought of dodging the drive-by bullets to grab a hockey game. Some nice folks too but wow, what a depressed area.

My daughter interviewed for a job at Kettering University. As they were driving her around the town, they kept telling her that it wasn't as bad as it looked. She couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Kettering's in a really terrible part of town. Like, really REALLY terrible. Outstanding school though.
Downtown Flint has come back nicely, anchored by the GM resurgence and the UM-Flint campus right in the center of town. There are still blocks upon blocks of what were residential city areas that are nearly abandoned that the city has been slowly working to raze en masse. But Perani Arena is right off the highway, easy access, in a safe area, and I think the team is actually likely to draw better there as compared to Plymouth. Sarnia and Saginaw will both be closer rivals, and the Flint market does have a really strong history in the IHL and UHL.

Back