• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Moving to California

Habs-25

Banned
Last couple years was kind of challenging in my personal life, after spending many years in Québec, i have moved to Ontario and was working in Detroit, Michigan and now we are moving to California because of my wife's job opportunity this time. I kind of thought a lot about this move and finally as family we came to this conclusion that lets do it. But major concern is rent and property there compare to Canada and some smaller cities like Windsor.

Anyway i just want know general opinion of people who experienced living in both Canada and us and specially expensive California.

Cheers all,

Last edited:
Last couple years was kind of challenging in my personal life, after spending many years in Québec, i have moved to Ontario and was working in Detroit, Michigan and now we are moving to California because of my wife's decent job opportunity this time. I kind of thought a lot about this move and finally as family we came to this conclusion that lets do it. But major concern is rent and property there compare to Canada and some smaller cities like Windsor.

Anyway i just want know general opinion of people who experienced living in both Canada and us and specially expensive California.

Cheers all,

California is a big place. Are you moving to Beverley Hills or to Compton? Big difference less than 30 minutes apart.

Hear that is quite expensive. Hope the job is well paying (which I assume it is) and the health insurance is good.

Paying is not bad but whatever extra you make goes for rent. Actually regarding pay with dollar exchange we probably were making more both because we were living in Windsor and working in Detroit so our salary was us dollar and we were kind of getting 30% raise with dollar exchange. I have talked with some friends already in similar fields as us and in long term they are all happy, sure at beginning it takes a bit time for transition, sure life is more expensive and way faster pace than Canada but at the end there are more room to grow look like..

About healthcare, they have different plans and company pay for 80% of it, if you want have full coverage you pay around $ 200-300 out of your pocket per month which is not bad.

One question...will you still berate Price from the west coast? :smilewinkgrin:

Haha, good question ;)

I probably start to watch some Sharks games, but i cheer always for my beloved Habs of course :)

Last edited:
Make lots of money as you will need it in the Bay Area. Even crappy Oakland is expensive. San Jose/Silicon Valley is very expensive. But the weather is way better than in San Francisco.

True, i seriously don't know how people with minimum wage lives in these kind of cities..

Paying is not bad but whatever extra you make goes for rent. Actually regarding pay with dollar exchange we probably were making more both because we were living in Windsor and working in Detroit so our salary was us dollar and we were kind of getting 30% raise with dollar exchange. I have talked with some friends already in similar fields as us and in long term they are all happy, sure at beginning it takes a bit time for transition, sure life is more expensive and way faster pace than Canada but at the end there are more room to grow look like..

About healthcare, they have different plans and company pay for 80% of it, if you want have full coverage you pay around $ 200-300 out of your pocket per month which is not bad.

Not sure if u have kids, but California's public school system sucks big time, tack on private school cost & start saving for university - unless u plan on forcing them to come to Canada!

Bay area's a nice place to live though, expensive, but nice.

Not sure if u have kids, but California's public school system sucks big time, tack on private school cost & start saving for university - unless u plan on forcing them to come to Canada!

But their state university system (UC and Cal. St.) is excellent. Go figure.

We don't have kids yet but as you said should start to save some money for their education for sure. Also i thought to send them to Quebec for almost free cost of university compare to anywhere else in north america :)

We don't have kids yet but as you said should start to save some money for their education for sure. Also i thought to send them to Quebec for almost free cost of university compare to anywhere else in north america :)

Or just don't have kids. It's almost impossible for most people to save enough to put their kids through college in the U.S. without any sort of assistance/loans.

Or just don't have kids. It's almost impossible for most people to save enough to put their kids through college in the U.S. without any sort of assistance/loans.

Even in Canada dude, it cost families 30k per year(tuition, rent, etc) for kids education, if you live in Ontario or any other provinces in Canada.

Back