Group A: France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

Group B: England, Wales, Slovakia, Russia

Group C: Germany, Northern Ireland, Poland, Ukraine

Group D: Spain, Turkey, Czech Republic, Croatia

Group E: Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Italy

Group F: Portugal, Iceland, Hungary, Austria

HNIM
12-12-2015, 06:38 PM
First time I've seen the draw and don't know what anyone else is saying but group E looks pretty brutal.

andyt
12-12-2015, 08:51 PM
First time I've seen the draw and don't know what anyone else is saying but group E looks pretty brutal.

And C looks pretty easy.

jeffbear
12-14-2015, 01:18 PM

Makes sense. The Irish finally get back in and are rewarded with a freaking salt mine of a group.

And C looks pretty easy.

As does Group A, honestly. The French should be able to walk the dog in that group.

davemess
06-10-2016, 11:00 AM
France vs Romania kicks things off today.

jeffbear
06-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Wish they had scheduled a little bit more of an enticing matchup for the opener, but UEFA were so busy giving the host team a break in the group draw that they forgot to actually give themselves a compelling matchup. Whoops. I guess I just accused them of acting like CONCACAF ... sorry?

davemess
06-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Will be interesting to see if France can handle the pressure of playing at home.

Know they did last time back in 98 for the world cup that was a team filed with some superstar players at their absolute pomp. This current team is a little younger so handling the pressure might not come as easily to them.

andyt
06-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Will be interesting to see if France can handle the pressure of playing at home.

Know they did last time back in 98 for the world cup that was a team filed with some superstar players at their absolute pomp. This current team is a little younger so handling the pressure might not come as easily to them.

They struggled for a bit. Giroud was as wasteful for country as he is for Arsenal before breaking through. Evra conceded a lazy penalty to let Romania back in but Payet scored on a screamer from just outside the box in the 89th minute to win it.

TheCountofMonteCristo
06-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Amazing goal by Payet.

andyt
06-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Amazing goal by Payet.

The good news...I have tickets to see West Ham in Raleigh on July 12.

The bad news...there is NO WAY that Payet will be playing that night.

davemess
06-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Expanding this to 24 teams was such a mistake.

2nd game of the tournament and it couldn't be arsed to watch

Albania 0-1 Switzerland

davemess
06-11-2016, 12:37 PM
Wales 2-1 Slovakia

:)

andyt
06-12-2016, 09:30 AM
UEFA charged Russia over violence inside the stadium in Marseille yesterday. But the entire city had been a nightmare for the days leading up to the England/Russia match.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/12/uefa-opens-disciplinary-case-against-russia-over-violence/

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-12-2016, 10:59 AM
"The Russian authorities were fined 30,000 euros ($37,500) for racially insulting Czech Republic defender Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black."

Good thing you can always count on UEFA to properly deal with issues and give real punitive punishments. I'm sure they'll handle this situation with their usual aplomb.

andyt
06-12-2016, 11:23 AM
"The Russian authorities were fined 30,000 euros ($37,500) for racially insulting Czech Republic defender Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black."

Good thing you can always count on UEFA to properly deal with issues and give real punitive punishments. I'm sure they'll handle this situation with their usual aplomb.

But, but, but UEFA put them on probation too, which shows how seriously UEFA deals with this crap.

jeffbear
06-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Reports are now indicating that there is a coordinated group of Russian hooligans that are "well trained" in violent hit and run attacks.

Hmm. How well trained exactly?

And I'm absolutely positive that the World Cup in Russia is going to go GREAT.

davemess
06-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Ireland 1-1 Sweden.

Own goal from a Villa player, haven't they been punished enough.

jeffbear
06-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Ireland 1-1 Sweden.

Own goal from a Villa player, haven't they been punished enough.

Poor Clark has been cursed with bad luck for years now.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-13-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Jeffbear was the only person less shocked than me to watch Clark powerfully head the ball into his own net.

davemess
06-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Belgium 0-2 Italy

Italy looked really good, solid at the back and playing great counter attacking stuff (bit Leicester like).

Belgium full of star names but playing to slow and predictable (like Man U).

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Chiellini's pass on the first Italian goal was absolutely amazing. Pinpoint accuracy over the entirety of the Belgium defense to set up an easy finish. Really stout and solid defense from Italy as well. Having the only real legit defensive back line in the tournament is going to be a real advantage.

jeffbear
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Belgium 0-2 Italy

Italy looked really good, solid at the back and playing great counter attacking stuff (bit Leicester like).

Belgium full of star names but playing to slow and predictable (like Man U).

I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised to see Belgium still running around clueless out there exactly the way they did in the World Cup. I mean ... change something up, even if it's just for the sake of change. The shape, the lineup ... something.

davemess
06-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Was really looking forward to the tournament but all this BS from the various fans is just killing it.

Was bad enough with England and Russia to start with but in the last few days we have had Croatia, Turkey and now Hungary.

TheCountofMonteCristo
06-18-2016, 03:58 PM
You know it is bad when English hooligans are not the worst.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-18-2016, 04:41 PM
English hooligans haven't really been a thing since the 90s. England has done a good job of stomping that out of their game, unfortunately, it has caught on elsewhere throughout Europe since then.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I wonder if it's possible to short puma stock by Monday. I've never seen anything like the Swiss kits which appeared to be made out of paper. If the goal was to show the ref clear evidence of shirt pulling, it didn't work since no fouls were called despite glaring evidence. On the other hand, it did negate the effects of shirt pulling so some bonus there.

jeffbear
06-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Yeah ... 11 ripped shirts and a punctured ball all in the same match. I've never personally seen such a mess.

Oh ... and the game sucked. France never really went for it and the Swiss clearly wanted that ONE crack to slither through ... only to misfire when it showed up.

Good thing we've had the Copa to watch, because the Euros this year have been underwhelming at best. Ugh.

jeffbear
06-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Was really looking forward to the tournament but all this BS from the various fans is just killing it.

Was bad enough with England and Russia to start with but in the last few days we have had Croatia, Turkey and now Hungary.

Apparently the Croatian fans are trying to act up to shame their FA leadership into resigning. Good luck with that. You should know by now that there's clearly no shame in the kinds of people who end up running national football federations.

davemess
06-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Round of 16 games start today

Poland 1 - 1 Switzerland (Poland win on Pens)
Wales 1 - 0 Northern Ireland

If you haven't seen Xherdan Shaqiri's goal today..... WOW

davemess
06-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Croatia 0 - 1 Portugal (AET)

(Maybe the dullest 90 minutes ever played)

France 2 - 1 Ireland

davemess
06-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Germany 3-0 Slovakia.

Could have been 10.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-26-2016, 03:21 PM
After watching the 500th example of a fifth official staring right at a missed call and not doing anything, can we just admit that the experiment is over and just get rid of them? If they aren't going to do anything at all, I'd prefer to not have someone standing in a weird spot on the field making me occasionally think there's an extra player.

jeffbear
06-27-2016, 11:39 AM
I was hoping the general level of play would pick up once we got to the knockout stages, but ... meh. Sooooooo much caution compared the Copa. This tournament could benefit from an injection of South American insanity.

davemess
06-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Hungary 0 - 4 Belgium

Italy 2-0 Spain

And there go the champs.

davemess
06-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Quarter Finals

Poland vs Portugal (Thu)

Wales vs Belgium (Fri)

Germany vs Italy (Sat)

France vs England/Iceland (Sun)

HNIM
06-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Not a good week to be English.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
06-27-2016, 07:34 PM
England 1 - 2 Iceland

HAHAHAHAHAH. Oh man, nobody is more England than England. A thoroughly unwatchable game other than the result. England looked like trash and deserved to lose. I'm super excited to listen to the football ramble podcast coming up as I feel like it's going to be an all time classic.

Italy looked really strong and get rewarded for winning their group and beating the defending European champs by now facing the defending world champs in the quarters. Life sure is fair sometimes. I really enjoyed the announcers creative ways of describing how horrible and without any rhyme or reason the refereeing was in the game though.

jeffbear
06-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Italy ... geez, but that bunch of old-ish spare parts can sure look good if properly organized.

France should be VERY wary of Iceland given how timid they've played in this tournament.

jeffbear
07-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Portugal through on PKs after a 1-1 draw with Poland. Boring, boring game.

davemess
07-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Wales 3-1 Belgium

Excellent :)

VinatieriDefinesClutch
07-01-2016, 05:49 PM
It's only the quarters, but tomorrow feels like the final most likely.

andyt
07-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Wales 3-1 Belgium

Excellent :)

Time to blow up the Red Devils. Their time has passed.

jeffbear
07-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Belgium need two things ... a decent coach, preferably one with a clue and some sort of Plan B in their back four for when Company isn't around to turn dreck into defense. Their back four yesterday were just a shocking collection given the talent they have going forward.

And small as they are, Wales and Iceland are probably the two most cohesive units in the tournament. VERY little personal interest in display for either side.

davemess
07-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Germany 1-1 Italy

Germany win 6-5 on penalties

andyt
07-03-2016, 05:55 AM
Germany 1-1 Italy

Germany win 6-5 on penalties

Worst penalty shootout ever.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
07-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Those two Italian penalties... just wow.

jeffbear
07-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Well, Iceland finally got their viking funeral ... France 5 Iceland 2

That game was done at half when the French bombed out to a 3-0 lead. Iceland just doesn't have the firepower to climb out of that kind of hole. France, though ... that's the best they've looked on attack in this tournament by miles. Given their weird back line issues, they have to feel pretty well set heading into the semis with Rami coming back.

jeffbear
07-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Worst penalty shootout ever.

On style points, sure .... but for dramatic tension, it was the same as if it had been skillful.

And you can add Sweinstieger barfing up that bad a PK under pressure as one of the things I never thought I'd see. He's been a cold blooded machine at those things for nearly a decade.

jeffbear
07-06-2016, 05:53 PM
And Wales goes the way of Iceland ... 2-0 Portugal to put them in the Final. VERY cautious first half dissolved into something different after CR7 soared to head home a corner and then Nani tipped in a CR7 scuffed right foot shot in the space of about 3 minutes. Wales just didn't have the quality to climb back that far. Missing Ramsey and Ben Davies to yellows was VERY painful for them.

HNIM
07-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Replays on the handball look dubious, but what the heck was his hand doing up there to start with? Totally bizarre way to end the half.

HNIM
07-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Two bonehead plays undo an otherwise dominant effort. The last 30 minutes were pretty much a thrill ride.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
07-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I could never tell for sure if the ball ever actually touched his hand. It is kind of funny that the first time a fifth official has made a call, it might be wrong. Germany controlled most of the game, but rarely looked to threaten goal. I don't think anyone really saw a France v Portugal final coming. If Portugal win, they might be the luckiest tournament winners I can think of.

HNIM
07-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Jose Mourinho would have been proud of that snoozefest.

VinatieriDefinesClutch
07-11-2016, 08:31 AM
A fitting end for these euros to be sure. The only more fitting ending would have been if it stayed goalless and was finished with another bad shootout. Ronaldoless portugal are champions of Europe. Crazy.

andyt
07-11-2016, 09:19 AM
A fitting end for these euros to be sure. The only more fitting ending would have been if it stayed goalless and was finished with another bad shootout. Ronaldoless portugal are champions of Europe. Crazy.

And even with Ronaldo in the group stage and knockout rounds, they won 1 game in normal time. They didn't win a single match in the group stage. They scored 9 goals in 7 matches. Soccer is a strange game.

Portugal 1-1 Iceland
Portugal 0-0 Austria
Hungary 3-3 Portugal
Croatia 0-1 Portugal AET - Quaresma winner in the 117th
Poland 4-6 Portugal - Portugal wins on penalties
Portugal 2-0 Wales
Portugal 1-0 France AET

davemess
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Adding more teams gave us some nice stories (Wales, Iceland) but I think the overall quality of the football has been down on previous tournaments.

jeffbear
07-25-2016, 09:41 AM
For the record, I watched the final from the dining room of a Guest House in Lira, Uganda .... and there was great rejoicing. CR7 is quite popular in Uganda, it would seem.