PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for KB

Deckie007
02-23-2017, 03:43 PM
I have come up empty looking for a new manager for KB's team. We're up against it at this point, about a week to go until protected lists are due. So anyone have any candidates? I'm considering contraction. We seem to have a tough time hanging on to owners. What does everyone think?

toddcubitt
02-23-2017, 03:49 PM
I'm OK with contracting to 18 teams... but because teams have already been trading draft picks, I don't think it would be fair to just throw KB's roster into the free agent pool.

I would suggest a separate draft in opposite order of how we finished last year.

braby21
02-23-2017, 03:51 PM
I vote for contraction. I'd rather have 1 less team if it means a higher % of active owners, vs. trying to fill and losing again.

His team isn't unbelievable, so I don't see a huge issue...

braby21
02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
I agree re: the separate draft as well. Maybe a snake draft based on a lottery?

can I have first pick since I lost JF? (figured I'd ask...)

can Montana have last pick since his team is insane? lol

Habspatrol
02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm OK with contracting to 18 teams... but because teams have already been trading draft picks, I don't think it would be fair to just throw KB's roster into the free agent pool.

I would suggest a separate draft in opposite order of how we finished last year.

Well that would double up on the benefit to the lower ranked teams. I'd definitely say that the players should just be put into the draft. This way would just spread out the benefit.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 03:54 PM
I agree with Todd. Although it would be hugely beneficial for me with 4 1st round picks, the value of those picks change so dramatically that I don't think it would be fair to everyone who has traded them.

I think a draft in the opposite order of last year's standings would work or a weighted lottery based on standings.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Well that would double up on the benefit to the lower ranked teams. I'd definitely say that the players should just be put into the draft. This way would just spread out the benefit.

True that, HP. That perspective never entered my train of thought, but you make a valid point.

Habspatrol
02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
On the other hand... since this is a completely unexpected situation that has nothing to do with last years standings maybe we should just do a completely random draft order for the dispersal draft. Then do 2 rounds and let the remaining players go into the FA pool/draft.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 04:03 PM
I vote for contraction. I'd rather have 1 less team if it means a higher % of active owners, vs. trying to fill and losing again.

His team isn't unbelievable, so I don't see a huge issue...

Agreed on the contraction point. Quality over quantity is huge.

hairnova
02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm also on board with contraction and a dispersal draft of some sort, even if it's just one round with the players not selected becoming free agents and eligible for our draft.

UWHabs
02-23-2017, 04:28 PM
There's too much talent on his team to simply throw them into the draft pool, although I agree that contraction makes the most sense.

Honestly, the easiest way to handle it would be to give the couple new owners who we've recruited this year something like 2-3 picks each among KB's team, and then just let everyone else go into the FA pool to be picked by anyone. We could do that instead of our option to let the new teams get their other pre-draft FA choices, and then we don't have to worry as much about what's fair among the rest of the teams, and having Montana end up winning the lotto and getting another stud player.

Or if that's too much to give the new teams, I'd suggest giving them the 1-2 picks in a dispersal draft, and then probably just doing a random draw for everyone else. 1 round of draft is probably enough to get the real valuable talents out.

They own all their own picks (and Montana's 2nd, so sadly enough, Montana is the only person to I guess have benefitted from a deal from KB recently), so no issue just skipping over them in the actual draft.

MindzEye
02-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Contraction and a separate dispersal draft is my vote. Some sort of weighted lottery based on last year's standings.

Habspatrol
02-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Contraction and a separate dispersal draft is my vote. Some sort of weighted lottery based on last year's standings.

That's what I'm leaning towards. In order of the standings 1 ball for 1st place and 18 for 18th (technically 19th place I suppose.)

hairnova
Personally, I wouldn't drop his picks out of the draft — I'd allow them to be selected in the dispersal draft.

Habspatrol
Personally, I wouldn't drop his picks out of the draft — I'd allow them to be selected in the dispersal draft.

Oh... interesting idea. I like that.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 05:06 PM

+1

toddcubitt
02-23-2017, 05:11 PM

I really like this idea too.

I still think a separate dispersal draft is the way to go. The weighted lottery idea is interesting but I think it over complicates things. A draft order in reverse of last year's standings is the way to go. There's maybe 5-6 impact type players on KB's roster. On the "lesser than" teams in this league, they aren't going to make THAT much of a difference. This idea is admittedly geared toward creating a little more parity... but what's wrong with that?

There are 6 draft picks, 26 MLB players, and 28 MiLB players... we could do two rounds or even three.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 05:16 PM
I have no doubt that this is a stupid question, but it is somewhat relevant. Is there a quick way to access last year's standings? I have a general idea of where everyone finished, but I'm not 100% certain.

hairnova
02-23-2017, 05:18 PM
I have no doubt that this is a stupid question, but it is somewhat relevant. Is there a quick way to access last year's standings? I have a general idea of where everyone finished, but I'm not 100% certain.

Go to "All My Leagues" on Fantrax and go back to last season.

Tully78
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Go to "All My Leagues" on Fantrax and go back to last season.

Next time I'm in Hali, I owe you an ice cold brewski. Been trying to find that forever. Thanks, buddy!

Montana
02-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Nuke Laloosh & Taco both did the league a huge favor by taking over the squads they did & jumped in to the league a bit behind the 8 ball given the lower calibre of squads they inherited versus those of us in the league since day one.

If we really care primarily about league longevity I'd even add a team or two from the bottom of the talent pool who could most use an infusion of talent. (I'd have a 4 team draft between Taco, Nuke, Tim Horton & Metal, personally)

I'd given them 10 picks to bolster their teams then just toss the remaining guys into the free agent pool.

Teams like mine, Bull, UW, HP, GH, Stubby, Hairnova, Mindz, etc who are stacked with talent or prospects really shouldn't benefit in any way from a team dropping out....

My first choice tho, would simply be all of us puting in a bit more effort to find a new manager....as that's the ideal solution. But if we're doing what's best for the league as a whole I think it's helping out those 4 teams mentioned above

Tully78
02-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Nuke Laloosh & Taco both did the league a huge favor by taking over the squads they did & jumped in to the league a bit behind the 8 ball given the lower calibre of squads they inherited versus those of us in the league since day one.

If we really care primarily about league longevity I'd even add a team or two from the bottom of the talent pool who could most use an infusion of talent. (I'd have a 4 team draft between Taco, Nuke, Tim Horton & Metal, personally)

I'd given them 10 picks to bolster their teams then just toss the remaining guys into the free agent pool.

Teams like mine, Bull, UW, HP, GH, Stubby, Hairnova, Mindz, etc who are stacked with talent or prospects really shouldn't benefit in any way from a team dropping out....

My first choice tho, would simply be all of us puting in a bit more effort to find a new manager....as that's the ideal solution. But if we're doing what's best for the league as a whole I think it's helping out those 4 teams mentioned above

I can't understand why Bull has said such terrible things about you, my friend. You're a stand up guy in my book!

MindzEye
02-23-2017, 05:31 PM
I really like this idea too.

I still think a separate dispersal draft is the way to go. The weighted lottery idea is interesting but I think it over complicates things. A draft order in reverse of last year's standings is the way to go. There's maybe 5-6 impact type players on KB's roster. On the "lesser than" teams in this league, they aren't going to make THAT much of a difference. This idea is admittedly geared toward creating a little more parity... but what's wrong with that?

Entirely good with that as well

There are 6 draft picks, 26 MLB players, and 28 MiLB players... we could do two rounds or even three.

Looking at his team, I'd almost say that doing more than 1 round would be silly. 5, maybe 6 sticks anyone would be interested in, a handful of position prospects that might draw interest, 2 starters and a few pitchers in his prospect group would probably draw some interest, I like the idea of adding his 1st rounder to the dispersal draft as well. But yeah, I'd do 1 round and then waiver wire the rest.

UWHabs
02-23-2017, 05:52 PM

I've spammed out a request to a bunch of big baseball fans (the beta team for my company), so hopefully we can get someone to join and won't have to worry about the dispersal draft.

I'm not a big fan of arbitrarily choosing league members to give extra bonuses to, but I definitely do agree that any system that would an extra guy like Springer to one of the top teams probably is not very fair overall. And I'm certainly not opposed to a system that's not as "fair" for me overall, as you said, the league is better when everyone is in a good state (either competing or loading up on prospects).

Habspatrol
02-23-2017, 07:02 PM

I understand the sentiment... but where do we arbitrarily cut it off and "screw over" an arguably worse team or two?

Which teams are "Good" and which teams are "bad" is kinda subjective too. I finished 12th of 19 last season. The fact that I blew my brains out and retooled at the deadline and in the off season makes my current MLB roster look a lot better. I'm not crying poor, just using my team as an example how subjective "good and bad" are.

I say either do the draft in reverse order of the standings or do a weighted lottery using the same criteria.

Blueman
02-23-2017, 07:03 PM
if we go the contraction route, is there any team that wants to swap rosters with KB's outright prior to contraction? Not sure but there may be some worse teams out there..

Matrim
02-23-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm good with the simple dispersal draft based on last years standings. Keep it simple and fair to everyone.

UWHabs
02-23-2017, 08:09 PM
FYI, I have someone who's expressed some interest, so hopefully they'll accept and we won't have to go through with this :)

Habspatrol
02-23-2017, 08:11 PM
FYI, I have someone who's expressed some interest, so hopefully they'll accept and we won't have to go through with this :)

As long as it's someone who is committed and will be active. Make sure they're aware of the depth of the league.

axlsalinger
02-24-2017, 04:25 AM
Yeah, we should put on a final full court press, see if we can fill the spot if possible. (Hopefully UWHabs friend is interested).

If we can't, I'm not entirely sure what the best option is. Blueman's suggestion is interesting, we could consider the idea of allowing a "team swap" if someone wants to. Also open to seeing if there's anything we can do for Braby re: the loss of Jose Fernandez. It's a slippery slope, but also kind of unprecedented to lose a young superstar like that.

Re: contraction, I guess a dispersal draft makes sense. As discussed, figure out how many teams should be involved, maybe a 2-round draft, every else goes into the regular draft.

Blueman
02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Yeah, we should put on a final full court press, see if we can fill the spot if possible. (Hopefully UWHabs friend is interested).

If we can't, I'm not entirely sure what the best option is. Blueman's suggestion is interesting, we could consider the idea of allowing a "team swap" if someone wants to. Also open to seeing if there's anything we can do for Braby re: the loss of Jose Fernandez. It's a slippery slope, but also kind of unprecedented to lose a young superstar like that.

Re: contraction, I guess a dispersal draft makes sense. As discussed, figure out how many teams should be involved, maybe a 2-round draft, every else goes into the regular draft.

Can we trade dispersal draft picks? :)

Habspatrol
02-24-2017, 01:41 PM

That would be ideal.

I'm torn on this one. Obviously it's a brutal situation, real life and in fantasy sports. However, if Jose blew out his arm and decided to retire would be be considering compensation?

A few years ago Montana and I lost a 29 year old elite winger in Kovalchuk and nobody would have considered compensation. Was it as devastating? Of course not, but that was a really big hit.

I really can't see any legit/fair way to say "this is the cut off." If you're the team that finished 15th, 14th, 13th, 12th, 11th, 10th... or whoever is the first one to miss out on the draft I really don't see how you you'd be okay with it. You're always going to have an argument that the cut off team needs as much help as the team that just made the cut.

I say you just do one round in reverse order of the standings... then nobody can cry foul.

Blueman
02-24-2017, 02:05 PM
A few years ago Montana and I lost a 29 year old elite winger in Kovalchuk and nobody would have considered compensation. Was it as devastating? Of course not, but that was a really big hit.

Agreed. I lost the top prospect in baseball a couple of years ago - one of top picks in the initial draft (Oscar Taveras) - and no one considered compensation. While it stings to lose a top player like JF, compensation is not warranted IMO.

Deckie007
02-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Agreed. I lost the top prospect in baseball a couple of years ago - one of top picks in the initial draft (Oscar Taveras) - and no one considered compensation. While it stings to lose a top player like JF, compensation is not warranted IMO.

Yeah, no compensation.

braby21
02-24-2017, 02:33 PM
All of the above is understandable. Figured I'd, ask as JF was one of the top in demand dynasty players in the league. Huge blow to my team for sure.

Ideally we can get a good new owner, but I would much rather have 18 very active owners vs. trying to fill a team with a warm body.

The decision is tough as to how to disperse, if we do. I would argue against giving the new teams 2-3 players as some of us were given very bad teams and had to donate league funds to the top teams for years while trying to re-build. Reverse draft lottery probably makes the most sense. Not perfect, but probably the most fair.

UWHabs
02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
That would be ideal.
I'm still waiting to hear back from my candidate - hopefully I'll hear back one way or another from them in the next day or two.

I'm torn on this one. Obviously it's a brutal situation, real life and in fantasy sports. However, if Jose blew out his arm and decided to retire would be be considering compensation?

In a somewhat cruel twist of irony, this team is the other one to lose a young quality player this off-season. And I do agree that while it's a tough blow, in some ways it's outside of the purview of the league to really be able to compensate for that.

I really can't see any legit/fair way to say "this is the cut off." If you're the team that finished 15th, 14th, 13th, 12th, 11th, 10th... or whoever is the first one to miss out on the draft I really don't see how you you'd be okay with it. You're always going to have an argument that the cut off team needs as much help as the team that just made the cut.

I say you just do one round in reverse order of the standings... then nobody can cry foul.
Yeah, that's my only flaw with doing a limited number of picks for it. The only similar way that to me would be any sort of "fair" would be that only the 2 newbies would get picks from this team, and then everyone else would simply go into the draft pool. But even in that, I'm not sure if that's too nice to the new teams, as they would each get about 3 solid talents. If we can't get a new owner, I do think if anyone would want to "trade" teams (which would also include trading all draft picks, obviously), that would be perfectly fair game - it only makes sense to contract the "weakest" team if we do want to go down that route.

If we wanted to do a mixed compromise, we could always either go in reverse order of standings, but put the 2 new teams with the #1 and #2 picks (in some order). Or do a modified draft, where basically they would get 1 pick each and then everyone gets one round of drafting, either in pure reverse order, or some sort of draft lottery among everyone else.

axlsalinger
02-24-2017, 04:37 PM
Heads-up that a few of us are in another keeper league, and one of the members there expressed some interest. I sent him a basic overview of the league and the roster, and I'll let you know how he responds.

Killersweet
02-25-2017, 04:42 PM
I hope we find a replacement. Did Doug get back to you Axl?

UWHabs
02-25-2017, 04:48 PM

FYI I'm still waiting to hear back from my potential as well. Hopefully one of them will accept today or tomorrow, As if we still want to keep on track of having protected lists in by next Friday, we'd have to hold the dispersal draft Probably Tuesday-Wednesday to give teams enough time to make their picks and then finalize keepers.

axlsalinger
02-25-2017, 07:26 PM

Not yet.

UWHabs
02-25-2017, 08:52 PM
My friend is out, so hopefully yours will be willing to join.

hairnova
02-26-2017, 11:14 AM
I honestly think at this point we should just contract a team, have a dispersal draft and be done with it.

Nothing wrong with going to 18 teams.

toddcubitt
02-26-2017, 11:27 AM
I honestly think at this point we should just contract a team, have a dispersal draft and be done with it.

Nothing wrong with going to 18 teams.

+1

Blueman
02-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Can we plan for dispersal just in case? I'd like to know how that would work.

braby21
02-26-2017, 05:40 PM
I agree, let's move on... March is rapidly approaching

braby21
02-26-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't know if anybody mentioned this but how about leaving his draft picks in the dispersal draft, that way if somebody wants to grab his 1st rounder, or 2nd rounder, that would be included. Could help spread the love so more teams can get a piece.

Habspatrol
02-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Yeah Hairnova suggested that and I think everyone thought it was a good idea.

Montana
02-26-2017, 07:19 PM
If you're going dispersal draft, gimme a bit of time to see if I can find someone to take over my team.

I've had one foot out the door with fantasy sports for a while now anyway, and I got no interest in going the dispersal route. (Especially all 18 teams lining up to pick the bones from KBs carcass vs us using the opportunity to bolster some of the have nots, hopefully preventing more departures in the coming years....but I digress).....This would probably be as good a time as any for me to take off, and get it all done in one off season.

Think I know a guy who'd be willing to take over for me....will see if I can talk him in to it....but may take a few days until I can settle it.

braby21
02-26-2017, 08:02 PM
If you're going dispersal draft, gimme a bit of time to see if I can find someone to take over my team.

I've had one foot out the door with fantasy sports for a while now anyway, and I got no interest in going the dispersal route. (Especially all 18 teams lining up to pick the bones from KBs carcass vs us using the opportunity to bolster some of the have nots, hopefully preventing more departures in the coming years....but I digress).....This would probably be as good a time as any for me to take off, and get it all done in one off season.

Think I know a guy who'd be willing to take over for me....will see if I can talk him in to it....but may take a few days until I can settle it.

You've said this a couple times after we've proposed making changes you don't like. Obviously we don't want to lose ANOTHER owner, especially the most active owner, as this would be a slippery slope towards the league being done... which really sucks for the teams that have had to wait years and spend a couple hundred bucks to have a chance at getting into the top 5.

I don't think that anybody wants to lose a team just so we can each get 1 player, prospect, or draft pick. We're all just sick of losing teams every year, and are hoping that instead of trying to find another owner we settle into a league in which we have long standing active owners.

Deckie007
02-26-2017, 08:04 PM
You've said this a couple times after we've proposed making changes you don't like. Obviously we don't want to lose ANOTHER owner, especially the most active owner, as this would be a slippery slope towards the league being done... which really sucks for the teams that have had to wait years and spend a couple hundred bucks to have a chance at getting into the top 5.

I don't think that anybody wants to lose a team just so we can each get 1 player, prospect, or draft pick. We're all just sick of losing teams every year, and are hoping that instead of trying to find another owner we settle into a league in which we have long standing active owners.

Yeah, exactly. I'd love to find another great owner and move forward with 19, but I don't want another owner that ups and leaves because of the depth of the league. I'm pretty sick of looking for yet another replacement.

Montana
02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
You're both arguing my point for me.....If the league cares about keeping the league intact, then using the rare (preferably avoidable) instance of contraction to bolster those teams most in need/most likely to bolt in coming years makes the most sense......Versus the dozen+ of us who don't remotely need it, further lining our pockets on the back of a folded team.

It's worth waiting to find a new manager......But if we can't, we could at least make a positive out of it.

Habspatrol
02-26-2017, 08:28 PM
I tried to find someone to take over the team... we had a guy interested but he hasn't committed yet. I'm not sure what else we can do.

As for "all 18 teams lining up to pick the bones from KBs carcass vs us using the opportunity to bolster some of the have nots, hopefully preventing more departures in the coming years"

There are a handful of impact player on that team... and those would be the players going to the weakest teams. I don't see any solution that is nearly as fair. The teams that need impact players will get one. Who am I to say that the 5th worst team in the league last year deserves nothing while the 4th worst team gets a stud?

Montana
02-26-2017, 08:48 PM
In a league where teams intentionally tank their main roster to bolster their minors and make a run the following year, using reverse standings to dictate dispersal of talent is retarded.

I went dead last to first....Between year one and year two....HP went 2nd last to 2nd overall......Under the proposed idea we'd have been landing Springer & Blackmon.....

There's a fairly objectively obvious, difference in the calibre of some bottom ten teams (Hairnova, Mindz, UW, arguably some of the top 3-4 more valuable franchises)....and ones like 101, Stubby, Metal, Tim Horton.

In an ideal world sure....You'd just have people honorably take themselves out of needing pieces from KB's team......(I personally don't want anything) ....But that's like asking to use the honor system for taxes, just isn't going to happen.

Loading up teams that don't need it is gross tho......Not a league I'm gonna be playing in. Which is fine, maybe that's the single best thing for league parity & longevity anyway.

Deckie007
02-26-2017, 09:05 PM
In a league where teams intentionally tank their main roster to bolster their minors and make a run the following year, using reverse standings to dictate dispersal of talent is retarded.

I went dead last to first....Between year one and year two....HP went 2nd last to 2nd overall......Under the proposed idea we'd have been landing Springer & Blackmon.....

There's a fairly objectively obvious, difference in the calibre of some bottom ten teams (Hairnova, Mindz, UW, arguably some of the top 3-4 more valuable franchises)....and ones like 101, Stubby, Metal, Tim Horton.

In an ideal world sure....You'd just have people honorably take themselves out of needing pieces from KB's team......(I personally don't want anything) ....But that's like asking to use the honor system for taxes, just isn't going to happen.

Loading up teams that don't need it is gross tho......Not a league I'm gonna be playing in. Which is fine, maybe that's the single best thing for league parity & longevity anyway.

Passive aggressive post is passive aggressive. Feel free to leave. Not a fan of you threatening to leave every time something goes down that you don't agree with.

Montana
02-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Nothing passive about it.....Was pretty straight forward with my disagreements & reasoning behind them.

Passive aggressive would be ignoring the points I made.....and saying "fine leave"

As for me talking of leaving in the past.....I dropped all fantasy sports I was in 2-3 years ago now with this being the final one I hung on to. ..But having won I felt a responsibility to stick around and pay my dues until someone else at least beat me a few times (Winning didn't hurt either)..... and that had still been my plan but some of these significant decisions are made so hafhazardly & without any real thought out in to it, it's frustrating to see happen for a league that's so phenomenally put together otherwise.

Is what it is

braby21
02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Montana, since you have a guy that would take over your team, can that owner take over KB's team? if so, let's do so and move on.

If not, and if we can't find another owner. What do you suggest we do with KB's team?

Deckie007
02-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Montana, since you have a guy that would take over your team, can that owner take over KB's team? if so, let's do so and move on.

If not, and if we can't find another owner. What do you suggest we do with KB's team?

yeah why not get him to take KB's team?

Habspatrol
I haven't even looked at last year's standings. For some reason I assumed we didn't have tanking issues last year but that was probably a dumb assumption.

I would love to find a way to sort out the most "deserving" and do the draft in that order, but that's a tough task.

Deckie007
You're both arguing my point for me.....If the league cares about keeping the league intact, then using the rare (preferably avoidable) instance of contraction to bolster those teams most in need/most likely to bolt in coming years makes the most sense......Versus the dozen+ of us who don't remotely need it, further lining our pockets on the back of a folded team.

It's worth waiting to find a new manager......But if we can't, we could at least make a positive out of it.

lol, you're the biggest issue the league has

Habspatrol

Now that's a great idea.

Montana
02-26-2017, 09:18 PM

I asked the guy before to take over 101's team and he passed....Purely speculation on my part that if I handed him my team & the likely money that'd come with that, he might change his mind.... That's why I said I'd have to check, I'm not even sure he would.

If I could have gotten him for a dropped team, I definitely would.....hed be a great add to the league imo.

Montana
02-26-2017, 09:20 PM
lol, you're the biggest issue the league has

No arguments there. Haha

Montana
02-26-2017, 09:30 PM

Ideal world we'd agree on the 3-6 teams most in need of an infusion of talent.....Lotto them based on league results the last couple years.....Quick dispersal draft of a handful of rounds (ideally get them all online at the same time to do it).

You turn the negative of losing a manager....Into a positive of bolstering the teams that need it most, while avoiding bolstering any of us that don't need it.

Or....You force people's hands in to admitting their team doesn't need help by making the rule be.....Any team who wants to take part in the dispersal draft....Has to allow their team to be in the dispersal draft......That way only teams in need take part, they each get a fresh start of sorts to liven things up by redrafting their whole teama.....and the number of teams who enter, are the only ones impacted.

2 teams enter......You've turned 3 lesser teams in to 2 superior ones......5 enter....You've turned 6 lesser teams in to 5 better ones.....As one idea anyway.

Blueman
02-26-2017, 09:43 PM
I don't like that at all.

Can't we just leave kbs team for a year until we find a replacement?

Habspatrol
02-26-2017, 09:51 PM
Problem with that is there will always be teams just shy of the cut that will now be leapfrogged. That's a shitty spot for them.

I don't think we want any teams getting multiple studs out of this while other teams in need get nada.

Figure out the order and do one round that includes all teams. The teams most in need get the biggest reward while teams that might not be as much in need get something that might not be as much the worst teams get, but still get something.

Killersweet
02-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Ok let's try and find a manager soon. Let me ask this guy in my other league. He would be a great addition, let me see if he can commit.

braby21
02-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Let's spend the next week trying to get another owner, and then if not, we'll have to figure out a way to move forward with a plan.

We could vote on the plan. I believe 1 round would be fine. And then the rest of the team could go into the draft pool. There are a couple solid players, a couple solid prospects, and a couple solid picks. I'd much rather that vs. trying to manually assign to teams that we believe need 2-3 guys to be competitive.

Matrim
02-27-2017, 12:22 AM
I just want what's best for the league. If we can find a committed manager for KB's team, great! But like Deckie, I'm getting sick of having managers bolt every year. Maybe less teams is what this league needs to develop more parity.

UWHabs
02-27-2017, 05:36 AM
I just want what's best for the league. If we can find a committed manager for KB's team, great! But like Deckie, I'm getting sick of having managers bolt every year. Maybe less teams is what this league needs to develop more parity.

We need managers who are interested in it for the fun of playing, not necessarily just to win and make money off of it. I mean, if Montana really wanted to leave, then I also don't want to replace him with someone who's only it in to try to win, and as soon as his team runs into trouble (which, given his roster, will be like 10-15 years from now), bolts because they don't want to stick it out.

If we can find someone to take over, that's obviously the best strategy. If we can't, then I do think KB's roster is decent enough that someone might want to swap teams. If someone was willing to do that, that might help. I think another problem with this particular dispersal draft is because the team is a bit thinner on prospects, it's more of an immediate help, which has a larger feel to how much it affects things. I think dividing up prospects between the rest of the league tends to feel less like helping everyone, just because they are more volatile. But we can't force anyone to swap teams, so we might have to live with the current situation.

And then if we do have to go through a dispersal draft, we just need everyone to realize that no matter how we do it, it's not going to be fair. That's just the nature of things. There's no roster that has 18 identical players to divide between the rest of the league. And despite Montana's objections, if we do lose a team, everyone else's team should get better because of it.

I'd rather not let the team sit idle for the year if we can avoid it, but we do also need to be sure we're not "rushing" into any decisions this year that will hurt the league in the long run. As much as it would sound fair to give a heap of talent to the bottom few teams now, in a few years when suddenly Springer and Conforto are leading whatever team we arbitrarily determined to be the worst team this year to a championship, that can definitely potentially leave a bad taste in the mouth of whoever ended up just outside of that lottery. We also should potentially be aware of whatever precedent gets set, in case if we do run into trouble finding owners the next couple years as well and have to drop down another team or two later. Especially since it sounds like Montana will be exiting shortly enough, his team obviously is a lot more valuable one (although ironically, his team might be best in a dispersal draft, since he probably does have 18 stars to give one to each other team in the league)

braby21
02-27-2017, 11:20 AM
We need managers who are interested in it for the fun of playing, not necessarily just to win and make money off of it. I mean, if Montana really wanted to leave, then I also don't want to replace him with someone who's only it in to try to win, and as soon as his team runs into trouble (which, given his roster, will be like 10-15 years from now), bolts because they don't want to stick it out.

If we can find someone to take over, that's obviously the best strategy. If we can't, then I do think KB's roster is decent enough that someone might want to swap teams. If someone was willing to do that, that might help. I think another problem with this particular dispersal draft is because the team is a bit thinner on prospects, it's more of an immediate help, which has a larger feel to how much it affects things. I think dividing up prospects between the rest of the league tends to feel less like helping everyone, just because they are more volatile. But we can't force anyone to swap teams, so we might have to live with the current situation.

And then if we do have to go through a dispersal draft, we just need everyone to realize that no matter how we do it, it's not going to be fair. That's just the nature of things. There's no roster that has 18 identical players to divide between the rest of the league. And despite Montana's objections, if we do lose a team, everyone else's team should get better because of it.

I'd rather not let the team sit idle for the year if we can avoid it, but we do also need to be sure we're not "rushing" into any decisions this year that will hurt the league in the long run. As much as it would sound fair to give a heap of talent to the bottom few teams now, in a few years when suddenly Springer and Conforto are leading whatever team we arbitrarily determined to be the worst team this year to a championship, that can definitely potentially leave a bad taste in the mouth of whoever ended up just outside of that lottery. We also should potentially be aware of whatever precedent gets set, in case if we do run into trouble finding owners the next couple years as well and have to drop down another team or two later. Especially since it sounds like Montana will be exiting shortly enough, his team obviously is a lot more valuable one (although ironically, his team might be best in a dispersal draft, since he probably does have 18 stars to give one to each other team in the league)

Montana, you could take KB's team and we could disperse your team to the league. That could be a fun alternative, and you can see how quickly you can build up that team. I like it! haha

Habspatrol
02-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Nicely said.

hairnova
02-28-2017, 01:39 PM
So...?

UWHabs
02-28-2017, 03:32 PM
So...?

Yeah, we need to finalize the dispersal mechanism. If we said we're giving until Friday at the latest to find a new owner, then we should be ready to start that draft Friday, and have that go through the weekend. Then we'll need to give people a couple days after that to get their protected lists in, and a couple days for the new manager draft (they get up to 5 picks each among the unprotected/FA, was it? Did we need to add any other provisions like not grabbing multiple guys from any team, or forcing anyone who's picked to be on their own protected list?), then the rookie draft. Presumably would be good to start that around next weekend if we can, although I assume all the schedules will bump a day or so each, so that would realistically start around March 13-15.

So, to finalize, I guess we need final confirmation that nobody is interested in swapping teams with KB's team, and then we should confirm the dispersal mechanism. I think the consensus seems to be a simple 1 round draft in reverse order of standings, with all picks included as potential choices. Anything not drafted will simply go into the FA pool.

And everyone should get their payments in within the next few days or week as well. If you can't make it, I'm sure Deckie will gladly do it for you, right? As long as you leave a few fingers and toes as collateral?

Blueman
02-28-2017, 07:56 PM
That timing of the dispersal draft kind of sucks - I have no time to look at his roster and evaluate. I'm in my busy season at work (Taxes) and have a 9 month old. This simply doesn't work for me.

Habspatrol
02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Really? You can't take 3 minutes to look at his team over the next 5 days?

Deckie007
02-28-2017, 08:27 PM
I have some time tonight to work up a dispersal draft thingie. Stay tuned.

Deckie007
02-28-2017, 10:11 PM
So I've posted the thread. I really think we should keep it simple. Straight reverse order of standings. When making a pick, you have to announce who you are dropping (or un-protecting if you have roster space). Obviously if you decide to take a pick, you don't have to drop someone. Once we get it done we go straight to the draft for Nuke and Taco with KB's remaining roster eligible to be selected along with all unprotected players, then the regular draft.

braby21
03-01-2017, 11:01 AM
what are the timelines for dispersal, keepers due, entry draft, etc.?

Deckie007
03-01-2017, 01:14 PM
what are the timelines for dispersal, keepers due, entry draft, etc.?
We need Green Hornets, Hairnova and Timmy's protected lists then we can go ahead with the dispersal draft. I'll PM everyone.

braby21
03-01-2017, 06:14 PM
We need Green Hornets, Hairnova and Timmy's protected lists then we can go ahead with the dispersal draft. I'll PM everyone.

Should we do the dispersal draft first? Or are we going to technically keep 21 guys this year?

UWHabs
03-02-2017, 06:24 AM
Should we do the dispersal draft first? Or are we going to technically keep 21 guys this year?

If I understand what Deckie said, the plan is to basically have teams have their protected lists ready to go for the dispersal draft, and then when you pick, you would announce it like, "UW drafts Odor. To make room for him, I will cut XXX and move YYY to my unprotected list", so that immediately following the dispersal draft, the new owner FA draft can get going without delay. No change to the total number of keepers.

braby21
03-02-2017, 12:14 PM
If I understand what Deckie said, the plan is to basically have teams have their protected lists ready to go for the dispersal draft, and then when you pick, you would announce it like, "UW drafts Odor. To make room for him, I will cut XXX and move YYY to my unprotected list", so that immediately following the dispersal draft, the new owner FA draft can get going without delay. No change to the total number of keepers.

Make sense. So, with each pick we announce who we're selecting and the corresponding shift in the keepers/unprotected/minors list. So, then the unprotected lists are all updated prior to the entry draft, correct?

Habspatrol
03-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Sounds about right.

hairnova
03-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Any word from the two teams that still need to post their protected lists?

Killersweet
03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Ok boys, I have found a replacement. He would be a great addition to this league. I have asked him to sign up at forumice and he can join the conversations. once he joins, If someone can give him the details about fantrax take over, that would be great.

Montana
03-02-2017, 02:40 PM
You're a legend.

dbdeuce
03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Hey Fellas

I'm in for taking over KB's team - just let me know how to access it on fantrax (I just set up an account there)

Habspatrol
03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Sorry, I wanted to take the 8th best asset off of KBs team. **** off.

Habspatrol
03-02-2017, 02:45 PM
****in autocorrect. I meant... Welcome to the league. Great to have ya.

dbdeuce
03-02-2017, 02:50 PM
Ha!

Blueman
03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Ok boys, I have found a replacement. He would be a great addition to this league. I have asked him to sign up at forumice and he can join the conversations. once he joins, If someone can give him the details about fantrax take over, that would be great.

AWESOME!!

axlsalinger
03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Excellent news, welcome aboard dbdeuce!

Many of us have been in various keeper and dynasty leagues for years, and this one is by far the best.

I'll assume Deckie will help you get registered in fantrax. My advice would be to take a day or two to familiarize yourself with the rules, scoring, etc. before you make any trades.

ANY questions about ANYTHING, don't hesitate to ask.

Habspatrol
03-02-2017, 03:25 PM
Definitely agree with Axl... don't go making any trades until you get a feel for the league.

toddcubitt
03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Welcome dbdeuce... what do you want for Springer!

Habspatrol
03-02-2017, 03:30 PM
:toetap05:

Montana
03-02-2017, 03:31 PM
My advice would be to take a day or two to familiarize yourself with the rules, scoring, etc. before you make any trades.

ANY questions about ANYTHING, don't hesitate to ask.

100℅

Ask, ask, ask.....League is pretty nuisanced in its player values so it can take some time to get adjusted to it. (Took me a year+ tbh).....So definitely take your time with making any major, potentially franchise altering moves......and ask if youre unsure about anything or need clarification on something, even if it seems like a dumb question.

Go to the player pool page on Fantrax for instance and sort by hitter then pitchers, and view the 2016 & 2015 player standings to get a feel for the point totals the elite put up per game/season...Where the tiered distribution is for elite SP, #1's, #2's etc....Will help give you a feel for player values I think.

Welcome aboard, and best of luck.

braby21
03-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Welcome new guy!

Sidenote: imagine losing Jose Fernandez & David Price in the same season. Fantasy baseball is fun!

Montana
03-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Jesus, did you really just lose Price?

braby21
03-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Visiting Death himself today (Dr. James Andrews....), maybe it's nothing... it could be nothing... :(

Deckie007
03-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Hey Fellas

I'm in for taking over KB's team - just let me know how to access it on fantrax (I just set up an account there)

sent pm!

Matrim
03-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Hey Fellas

Great to hear! Welcome aboard, if you have any questions feel free to ask. And take Montana's advice, take your time and get a feel for the league before making any big moves.

UWHabs
03-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Welcome aboard!

Despite the fact that we were all circling around the team like vultures, you have inherited a team with a solid core. It should be interesting to see how you decide to build it going forward. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. I've found that most of the league is more than helpful in answering any questions you have.

dbdeuce
03-03-2017, 02:49 PM
For Springer? Trout and some picks :drink