• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

With Nurse being the architect of a massive shift in offensive style, and having it happen as quickly and effectively as it did, I'm entirely cool with this. Though I'm going to reserve a big pile of judgement on Nurse until we see how he manages in game adjustment, which was Casey's biggest weakness imo and cost us massively in the playoffs every year.

yeah I kinda wanted Nurse to be the guy from the start for that very reason.

if he can force them to stick with that system in crunch time - all year long to practice for the perma-crunchtime of playoff bball - it might make a difference.

casey still let them ISO it at the end of every close game all season.

yeah I kinda wanted Nurse to be the guy from the start for that very reason.

if he can force them to stick with that system in crunch time - all year long to practice for the perma-crunchtime of playoff bball - it might make a difference.

casey still let them ISO it at the end of every close game all season.

It's the one thing I want to reserve judgement on DD and Lowry over. I actually have a lot of faith in the ability of both guys to stick important shots in big games that actually happen within the flow of the offence. I have no faith in either of them being able to superman a late game possession against top teams though. They're just not that guy.

With Nurse being the architect of a massive shift in offensive style, and having it happen as quickly and effectively as it did, I'm entirely cool with this. Though I'm going to reserve a big pile of judgement on Nurse until we see how he manages in game adjustment, which was Casey's biggest weakness imo and cost us massively in the playoffs every year.

Now I would go looking for a extremely talented young/new mind to bring in as an assistant to help with those in game adjustments.

Josh Lewenberg
‏Verified account @JLew1050

Josh Lewenberg Retweeted TSN 1050 Toronto

Tom Sterner, former Raps asst and colleague of Nick Nurse: "Nick and I would spend hours together and play this 'what if' game. 3 seconds to go, your down 1 - I'd ask him what he's running and he'd ask me how I'm defending it, and we would go back and forth."

I'm assuming he didn't always just scream out "DEMAR ISO".

Being a basketball novice, a fan of the skill of the players but find the calls and refs really annoying.
Why not lebron? Give him 20 million and pay the penalty, and 60 percent of all lebron merchandising (sweater, number and anything with his personna). That should add up to another 50 million at least. He will have a whole country behind him. The guy will be treated like a king. Just a thought

Being a basketball novice, a fan of the skill of the players but find the calls and refs really annoying.
Why not lebron? Give him 20 million and pay the penalty, and 60 percent of all lebron merchandising (sweater, number and anything with his personna). That should add up to another 50 million at least. He will have a whole country behind him. The guy will be treated like a king. Just a thought
I'm sure the Raptors would have no problem paying Lebron whatever he wants. But the same probably goes for pretty much every other team except Golden State.

So it all comes down to where he wants to play, and where he thinks he can win against Golden State.

And like most American basketball players, he probably doesn't want to live in Canada. And even with Lebron, this Raptors team wouldn't have a prayer of beating the Warriors.

I'm sure the Raptors would have no problem paying Lebron whatever he wants. But the same probably goes for pretty much every other team except Golden State.

So it all comes down to where he wants to play, and where he thinks he can win against Golden State.

And like most American basketball players, he probably doesn't want to live in Canada. And even with Lebron, this Raptors team wouldn't have a prayer of beating the Warriors.

I'm not so sure about that.

I'm not so sure about that.

I'm reasonably sure they would have a fair to decent chance.

People are underestimating how bad the Cavs support cast is.

Even if you simply swapped Lebron in for DDR, i think they have a decent chance.

In fact, Lowry, Miles and JV are as ideal Lebron teammates as there is at their respective positions.

I don't expect LeBron to sign here, but I was a watching a video on TSN a couple days ago where the Raps were mentioned as a darkhorse candidate to sign him bc Toronto is one of his favourite cities.

does not hurt that he already owns toronto

lebronto.png

I would rank Toronto after Houston, SAS, & Philly. But I think we would very much be in the mix if those 3 don't play out. I'd put us with the Lakers & New Orleans in terms of possibility. That he has shown a huge amount of love for Toronto and it's fans is important. So is the fact that 1) we're in the east (Bron doesn't really want that western conference grind if he can avoid it), 2) Still one of the best teams in the east, playoff flops notwithstanding & 3) automatically become kings of the east if he shows up and heavy favourites to come out of the east and face GS/Houston in the finals at least give us a non zero chance.

Is SAS even a good option unless Kawhi stays? and even if he does can they afford both, and do they play well together?

Also, Lebron tends to take some time off on the defensive end in the regular season, i'm not sold how well that works for Pop.

Is SAS even a good option unless Kawhi stays? and even if he does can they afford both, and do they play well together?

I don't see any stylistic issues between Kawhi and Bron. As for Kawhi staying, read from this what you will but apparently Boston has contacted SAS numerous times to discuss a Kawhi trade and SAS won't even return their messages. The rift is apparently at least mostly media drive. Kawhi's injury is apparently something quite rare and the SAS doctors deemed him fit to play out of a misunderstanding of a rare type of injury, not malice, incompetence, etc.

Also, Lebron tends to take some time off on the defensive end in the regular season, i'm not sold how well that works for Pop.

Pop will likely have a realistic conversation with Lebron about it, and do his best to shield Lebron from high effort possessions at the defensive end anyway. As bad a look as it is, it's not like Lebron is a lazy 25 yr old kid.

I actually think the thing Lebron would have the hardest time adjusting to is the motion offence not going through him as much as he's used to. There will be way, way less of Lebron standing up top with 4 guys spacing and waiting, and a lot more of Lebron playing off ball and moving off screens. He'd adapt of course, and probably become an even better facilitator in that system than he is now because motion creates openings.

It would also be a system that would gracefull disguise his age as he starts to decline, like it did for Tim, Manu, & Parker.

It's interesting...just checking up on some NBA news and apparently the media narrative regarding Kahwi and SAS has changed dramatically.

Apparently now Kahwi and Pop have scheduled a sit down where Kahwi will be expected to show his commitment to the organization before they offer him the big ass deal that only they can offer him.

Pop >>>>>

Back