• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Stroman is a lovely starter and if this management group had any intentions of competing in the next 2-3 years you just don't trade him.

They don't though, and the market for him will probably be robust, so cash in. The odds of Stroman being an impact, 200ip starter by the time this horseshit rebuild is done, are pretty slim imo.

and let's be real here, even if he is, there's a 0.0% chance that this group is going to pay what that guy would be worth in free agency in 2 years.

You either need to sign him or trade him. If we can get him with a "hometown discount" I'd love to keep him around. But if not, you need to get something. It might bust like the Halladay deal, but maybe they break out as a stud.

The Jays have crazy amounts of payroll available. Money should not be an issue with players right now and into the future. The Jays virtually have two players on a contract after next season.

The Jays have crazy amounts of payroll available. Money should not be an issue with players right now and into the future. The Jays virtually have two players on a contract after next season.
That money goes quickly when you stop caring what you pay guys. And I'm assuming Rogers is still going to cheap out and not get back to the 160+ payrolls we ran a couple years ago.

What is $160m to a company like Rogers? I don’t get it. It’s nothing and it’s not like there’s no revenue coming in.

That money goes quickly when you stop caring what you pay guys. And I'm assuming Rogers is still going to cheap out and not get back to the 160+ payrolls we ran a couple years ago.

Obviously you care about who you are giving money too.

Guys like Stroman are the guys you pay. Guys like Grichuk and Morales aren't.

Regardless, this is probably moot --- Stroman will likely end being traded for a mid level prospect and a low WAR, low upside MLB "ready" arm.

What is $160m to a company like Rogers? I don’t get it. It’s nothing and it’s not like there’s no revenue coming in.

A line item on the balance sheet that needs to be explained to "the shareholders". Problem is that their "synergies" that they've found between the corp and the ball club, shows up in other line items, so that particular line item needs to be kept in check.

Corporate accounting processes are why 160m is a lot for Jays payroll, no other reason. When your other business lines are the club's biggest corporate sponsors and they're all getting sweetheart deals, no wonder the Jays revenue numbers show up as artificially low.

i'd be surprised if the bottom line looks better this year than it did in recent years with a much bigger payroll.

Stadium is always empty. Who wants to watch shit product?

Being a successful sports franchise in a good market isn’t rocket science, especially when we were literally just awesome only a couple seasons ago.

i'd be surprised if the bottom line looks better this year than it did in recent years with a much bigger payroll.

Jays were doing about 100 million (USD) in gate alone during those seasons (not counting playoffs, so another ~10M USD).

Bloomberg projects that the Jays did 450M (CAD) in revenue the 2017 season (which they sucked in, but did huge attendance still and generally still had that buzz for), and another 350 (again, CAD) in 2018. That will ****ing crater this season. Attendance is going to have a hard time hitting 1.6 million (less than half the numbers the contending club put up).

Difference in gate and concessions alone is almost the difference in real payroll (160-180) and a Rogers approved payroll (100-120)

They should be a ****ing cash machine, the city is waiting to make them a cash machine. Rogers is one of the worst owners in the league.

I've ranted about it before, but this is why they hired Shapiro. He sold them the same message Ricciardi did years ago. I'm so smart, I can compete with Boston & the Yankees for less money. Shapiro just did it in their weasel word corporate language. Was music to their ****ing ears.

Shapiro is quickly climbing to the top of the 'most loathed sports executives in Toronto' list. with an honourable mention to his handy little sidekick Ross.

hot dog man Peddie must be thrilled, he keeps stumbling down lower and lower on it.

ByDavidSingh

Asked #BlueJays prospect Bo Bichette if he thinks he’s ready for the big leagues. His answer: “Yeah. I’ve done everything they asked me to do. I’ve performed, I’ve put up numbers. I’ve gotten better offensively, defensively, baserunning, as an athlete, as a teammate.”

Bichette, continued: “Everything they’ve asked me to do, I’ve done for the past three years. So, if I’m not ready in their mind, there’s something new that they need to tell me I need to get better at.”

Story will be up soon @Sportsnet.

They toyed with the idea of keeping him even during spring training, I'm pretty sure he'll be up this year. They're probably hoping to get even a mildly decent offer for Galvis or Sogard, and there's the opening.

I don't mean to shit on Bo, he's young for the level and all but a 114 wRC+ in AAA isn't exactly raking, and 8 errors in 40 games at SS isn't exactly "I've done the work defensively".

Kid believes in himself, that's great. But he's hardly lighting AAA on fire either.

Back