• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

It takes 2 to tango, and I can't for the life of me see why Harper would sign here, unless if we just gave him a ton more money than anyone else. That being said, we could spend 60M this year and still not get back to last year's payroll, so the money could be there if we wanted to spend it. And as I said above, you can front-load it so that the deal goes down in value as Vlad+co's deals rise.

offer him the most money and he will sign

It would definitely make for an interesting lineup with a lot of power. I would assume that we would go Grichuk-Pillar-Harper in the OF, and Vlad-Machado-Gurriel-Smoak-Jansen as the IF? With Morales and Teoscar fighting for DH reps? Shit, Jansen might be the best leadoff guy there...

Jansen
Machado
Vlad
Harper
Smoak
DH
Grichuk
Teoscar
2B (Gurriel, Drury, Travis, whoever)

We would rake again, that's for sure.

offer him the most money and he will sign

That is the general rule, and it seems to be the biggest concern for both if reports are true

Tis a pipe dream because expensive and risky, but yeah. This idea that the Phillies and White Sox are good destinations for either and we wouldn't be is kind of silly. Philly was an 80 win team last year and the Sox lost 100 games. Money would clearly be the main motivating factor in either situation.

It would definitely make for an interesting lineup with a lot of power. I would assume that we would go Grichuk-Pillar-Harper in the OF, and Vlad-Machado-Gurriel-Smoak-Jansen as the IF? With Morales and Teoscar fighting for DH reps? Shit, Jansen might be the best leadoff guy there...

Jansen
Machado
Vlad
Harper
Smoak
DH
Grichuk
Teoscar
2B (Gurriel, Drury, Travis, whoever)

We would rake again, that's for sure.

Fun, but fantasy.

What is the hold up with Machado or Harper not signed ?

I don't think anyone is getting to 300 mil or a 10 year term .

Yep, they're both definitely trying to hope someone will cave to those terms, but still seems people are reluctant to go more than 7 or so years. I do wonder, if the Jays went to Harper and offered him 10/300, would he take it now?

Atkins was on OverDrive last night and actually said they had a lot of internal conversation about Harper and that he'd look great between Vlad and Bo. He wouldn't say any more than that. Rogers would never fork over that kind of contract, but thats one of the first smart things I've heard out of his mouth. Credit where credit is due.

What else is he supposed to say, though, really?

Yeah, it's almost insulting that Atkins would even pretend they've given any consideration to going after Harper.

Also, it's correct that Harper is younger than many of the Jays "young" players and even some "prospects".

40-man roster players older than Harper:

Merryweather
Phelps
Richard
Sanchez
Stroman
Tepera
Mayza
Gaviglio
Giles
Biagini
Barnes
Travis
Smoak
Davis
Drury
Maile
Teoscar
Grichuk
Pillar

Smith Jr. and Pompey are a few weeks younger.

He's a great fit. But $ and risk, so not a chance.

What exactly is this "risk" that comes with signing Harper?

He might be only be a 1-2 WAR player when he's 33?

Always a risk when you commit 300M to a player. Especially someone whose last 4 years have WAR values of 9.3, 3, 4.8, and 3.5. 30M a year for 10 years for a ~4 WAR guy doesn't cut it, although if he gets back to being that 9 WAR guy/best player in baseball, then it's a bargain.

Always a risk when you commit 300M to a player. Especially someone whose last 4 years have WAR values of 9.3, 3, 4.8, and 3.5. 30M a year for 10 years for a ~4 WAR guy doesn't cut it, although if he gets back to being that 9 WAR guy/best player in baseball, then it's a bargain.

RISK!

Also, I pretty sure 1 WAR is worth like 9 million right now.

He was also one of the worst defensive OF in baseball last year, which granted looks like an outliar, but none the less would be pretty gross to start DHing a 30-35M player inyear 4 of 10. Also, since that elite 9.3 WAR year, he's just been very good or so, never great.

That all said, i'd still pay him or Manny

Atkins is so awful at talking about the Blue Jays to the media. He is like a more measured, less confident, equally clueless version of JP Ricciardi.

Funny that 2 of the last 3 GMs have been up-and-coming management prospects from other organizations, and they have both been awful in the spotlight. Meanwhile, the home grown whiz kid, and the only one with any actual success, gets forced out. Sad.

Back