• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

They will probably get something back, but it's hard to gauge exactly how much. Sanchez really hasn't been good since 2016, is a 2-pitch pitcher, with constant blister and fingernail issues, and is coming up on free agency with Scott Boras as his agent. Though there is probably a team or two out there that thinks they can fix him. He's a talented guy, so it's worth a try.

Stro is a tougher one, he's been good but he doesn't strike out a lot of batters and pitchers his size don't age well. Possible off-the-field issues as well. I assume that at worst, he'd net a decent return.

I think both guys have one more year of team control left.

Problem is the Jays really need pitching, so I'd rather just keep them than trade for a "decent" return. Both are coming up on free agency though and neither worth what they will likely be asking for.

That's the problems - if we don't want to or can't re-sign them, then we have to deal them, since we're not going to be competitive next year.

Sanchez at this point is basically junk. I could see someone taking a flyer on him to try to fix him, but with limited control before free agency, you're not getting all that much back. Stroman should net a solid return - despite missing half of last season and having a 5.50 ERA, he also got dreadfully unlucky - his FIP/xFIP numbers have been solid his entire career, and he would fit in for virtually any contending team. He's still only got 1.5 years of control left, but that also might be tempting for a lot of teams - you still get him for 2 pennant runs and can just let him walk when he hits FA. While the K numbers don't jump out at you, he's a GB guy so keeps the HR down. But you're also in a tough spot where teams rarely give up major league talent at the deadline, so if you deal them, you still have to wait a couple years for anyone you get back to make the bigs, which sucks again given the timelines.

Looks like young man was saving up to bust that first one. Yuuuge. Like 440 to dead centre.

Also, that was a cutter over the outside corner of the plate. That wasn't some meatball grooved over the middle. That's great plate coverage with stupid power.

Ian Hunter @BlueJayHunter
1h
That home run for Vladdy was 111.3 MPH off the bat to dead centre field.

Ben Nicholson-Smith @bnicholsonsmith
57m
Now a single for Vlad Jr. at 111.6 m.p.h.

Sure seems like he's hitting his stride #BlueJays

Ben Nicholson-Smith @bnicholsonsmith
21m
Vlad Jr. just hit a foul ball 120 m.p.h.

For context: no one does that

Is it too soon to start thinking about how many MLB-ready 40-man roster bubble guys they could get for Vladdy? :sarcasm

As great as Vlad may be, I'm finding it tough to get excited too much about this.

We need to have a great team around him for this to be any more than our own personal home run hitting derby.

As great as Vlad may be, I'm finding it tough to get excited too much about this.

We need to have a great team around him for this to be any more than our own personal home run hitting derby.

I thought I was likely the only one who felt this way.

Back