• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

Calle Rosen is such an amazing skater, hope he can get some room in the NHL to display that.

I hope the Leafs are just playing opossum right now. Such a meaningless stretch of games to have to go through. Stupid setup.

marlies lost 3-0 today. hutchison got pulled in the 1st after giving up all three goals right off the bat.

but according to jeffler, Sandin-Lilly was not only the top pairing, but also the top PK pairing, and one each on PP1 and PP2.

not bad for a coupla teenagers.

I know it'd odd for me to come to Babcock's defense on this, but to be fair, Keefe and the Marlies have a much different mandate than Babcock.

For Keefe and the Marlies, player development is at least as important as winning games. Maybe more important, especially for our top prospects.

If that wasn't the case, and Keefe's job was to do whatever was necessary to give the Marlies the best chance of winning on any given night, he might choose to lean on veterans too, instead of pairing a couple of teenagers together and giving them top pairing minutes.

True, but I think he could easily say he was developing them by giving them say, 2nd pair minutes, 2nd unit PK. Like you said - they're teenagers. This seems above and beyond that and like he just thinks they're his best dmen.

The other explanation is Dubas has told him those guys should be getting top pairing minutes. Even then though, it shows a willingness to consider input from the GM that I'm not sure Babcock has.

Although a bunch of guys are with the Leafs so maybe not as big a deal. Similar to Preston I also just like mocking Babcock's catchphrases.

Last edited:
Between Sandin playing like a #1 offensive defender, and Lilly apparently leading the team in possession statistics, it's probably well earned.

Between Sandin playing like a #1 offensive defender, and Lilly apparently leading the team in possession statistics, it's probably well earned.
True enough.

And everybody else---keep up the good work with mocking Babcock's catch phrases.

Discussion on the Habs board saying every defense prospect we have other than Sandin is a longshot to ever make it. Thoughts?

my thoughts are that Rielly 24, Dermott 22, Liljegren 19, and Sandin 18 are all better than any young dmen in their org.

Discussion on the Habs board saying every defense prospect we have other than Sandin is a longshot to ever make it. Thoughts?

To make an all star team...okay, fine.

To make the NHL? Pure stupidity. Lilly might be able to play now. I'm assuming ggxp is going off of Pronman's opinion, which kind of ****ing amazingly cratered regarding Lilly this year.

With all of that said though....it kind of doesn't matter. Even if Sandin was the only defensive prospect we had, he's one of the top handful of defensive prospects on the planet. Almost no one has a "Sandin" and we're about to add him to a group already over flowing with elite talent.

I would agree that after Sandin and Lilly, that our depth guys are longshots. Intriguing longshots, but long shots. It's basically Hollowell, Kral, Rasanen, and Gordeev left in the system after those two.

I’m not convinced that Liljegren necessarily has it in him to be a high-end offensive defenseman. But I feel pretty confident that he’s going to be an NHL defenseman. I also still really like his skill set. Whether he’s got another offensive gear or not, a RHD who can skate and move the puck sounds like a pretty nice addition to me.

Rosen’s another guy who I think is NHL ready right now and capable of making an impact. He was the best defenseman in the AHL when he was healthy, and I liked what I saw from him in his short NHL stint. I already feel a lot more confident in our defensive depth with Rosen waiting in the wings as our #7D instead of Oz or Marincin.

I haven’t given up on Borgman yet either. I liked a lot of what I saw from him in his rookie year, and if he puts in the time with the Marlies to iron out the kinks in his game, he could be one of the rare Leaf defenders who combines puck moving with a real physical edge.

After that, I agree it’s a bit more of a crap shoot.

Rasanen: Has had a bad couple of years.

Hollowell: Ripped up the OHL, but it was as a 20 year-old.

Duszak: “Free wallet” who ripped up a lesser NCAA division

Lindgren: Has been playing in Finland the last two years, honestly haven’t heard much about him.

Greenway: Essentially took last year off, went back to the USHL as an older player this year. Did OK.

Gordeev & O’Connell: Meh.

Kral: Decent offensive numbers in his post-draft year. Just a minor step forward from his draft year.

Even if they all have question marks though, most of them are intriguing in one way or another. And really, Greenway, O’Connell & Gordeev are really the only ones on that list where I have zero hope of them being legit NHL players for us at any point.

Its kind of nuts all the shit the Leafs take about ignoring defense in the rebuild when they've essentially picked 4 dmen in the first round in the last 7 years, one of which is a Norris calibre dman, one is a legit top 4, and the other two are top pairing dmen as teenagers in the AHL.

Our D is actually really strong for the foreseeable future.

I get Pronmans scouting philosophy but he is also overrated at assessing talent

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Back