• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

BeLeafer

I'm not a huge movie watcher, as most of the stuff that comes out is pure trash, but I do like a good flick when I see one. I'm just interested in anything good or bad anyone has seen recently.

Lately, I've seen a goodie and a few bad ones.

Away From Her
One of the best movies I've seen in years. Absolutely brilliant and remarkable considering its Sarah Polley's first direction and script (both were surprisingly strong). The memory sequences in this film are spot on, imo. Very isolated and evocative images that I believe are pretty accurate to the way memory works. The narrative, while not linear, is brilliantly pieced together.

Atonement

Just an awful film from start to finish outside of some very good cinematography. It's nauseatingly post-modern with an almost non-sensical disjointed narrative, little character development and utterly nominalistic (the latter being something I detest in poststructuralism and all of its shallow reified pretense).

Michael Crayton
Okay if you're looking for some pablum, but boringly formulatic with the standard awful representation of professional women as evildoers.

Anyone else?

Re: OT - Recent Movies You've Seen

Geez, ever since I moved out to LA a couple years ago I think I've only gone to the movies 3-4 times.

The last movie I saw was on new year's day and it was the only one that wasn't sold out; The Great Debaters. Wasn't bad at all. Nothing earth shattering. It took you through some emotional highs and lows. The acting and plot were interesting. I'm surprised Oprah didn't pimp this movie. It sounds like something right up her alley.

Geez, ever since I moved out to LA a couple years ago I think I've only gone to the movies 3-4 times.

The last movie I saw was on new year's day and it was the only one that wasn't sold out; The Great Debaters. Wasn't bad at all. Nothing earth shattering. It took you through some emotional highs and lows. The acting and plot were interesting. I'm surprised Oprah didn't pimp this movie. It sounds like something right up her alley.
Are you kidding? Oprah was the executive producer of that movie.

As for any good movies I've seen recently...I enjoyed "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly". It was a movie based on the experiences of a French editor after he suffered a stroke and lost all ability to move or communicate, except by blinking his left eye. Made me want to go out and pick up the book, but it seems to be next to impossible to find anything except the english translation, when I'd much rather read it in the original French.

"Before The Devil Knows You're Dead". A great crime film with terrific performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney. I wasn't too crazy about the last act, but it's one of the better films I saw made last year. Plus, Tomei gets naked a lot and she just gets better with age.

"There Will Be Blood" is worth seeing just for the fantastic, Oscar winning performance by Daniel-Day Lewis. His character, Daniel Plainview, can be so unlikeable and downright evil, it's at times tough to get swept into the various subplots he's involved in as you never really root for him. Still, it's a fine drama with an amazing score and cinematography, and worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

"Walk Hard:The Dewy Cox Story" I had heard good things about this comedy, that is a spoof on the various, cliche-ridden biopics we've seen in recent years like "Walk The Line", and "Ray". Alas, it didn't work for me. Even at around 90 minutes, I was rather bored. It does have a couple of jokes that work, but overall, most miss the mark. The "Spoof" genre to me, has run out of steam and just isn't working as well as it did in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:

I finally watched Superbad and 300 yesterday.
Also watched Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay.
Not as good as the first one, but was alright.

Probably gonna watch Iron Man tonight or tommorrow.

I really want to see the Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but haven't had the chance yet.

As for Atonement, I saw in a couple months ago. My girlfriend ever since she saw the previews back in October had been bugging me to take her to see it or rent it; she was thinking it was some sort of romantic movie ala the notebook, even though I told her it wasn't. We finally rented it back in early April and like always I was proved right.
The cinematography was probably the best part of the film, that and the score. The story it's self was interesting, but I felt it could have been done better.

I saw Harold and Kumar: Escape from Gitmo last week and it was enjoyable. Not a movie you really need to spend 12 bucks on to see in the theatre (I was was able to use my scene points). Although i'm sure it's one of those movies that is always funnier when you watch with other people.

Apart from that i haven't seen many other movies lately.
Unlike last summer there really aren't any movies that are coming out that I really want to see.

Harold and Kumar and Ironman. Some really funny parts in Harold and Kumar, and Ironman was pretty sweet.

The Strangers is coming out May 30th, which looks like the first good horror film in a long time.

Michael Crayton
Okay if you're looking for some pablum, but boringly formulatic with the standard awful representation of professional women as evildoers.
Fag.

Professional women are evil. Just like female police officers, they are stubborn, power tripping nut jobs, who go over and above to prove their "worth".

The Strangers is coming out May 30th, which looks like the first good horror film in a long time.

I saw the preview for that at Harold and Kumar and nearly pooed myself. Horror movies don't really do anything for me anymore but this one seems really terrifying/disturbing for some reason.

And yeah not sure about women professionals but women cops are the absolute worst, bar none. I've never met a decent one. Talk about overcompensating.

Yeah, i forgot about The Strangers. It looks good, but i'm worried that the preview may be a bit misleading.

There have been a few horror previews over the past few years that got me excited thinking that they'd actually be frightening. Unforutnately none really panned out.

Hopefully the Strangers will be good.

Jessuuss EFFF... There is no way I watch that movie... I ain't no puss, but what the hell is the point of stressing yourself out for 2 hours, and then stress yourself out whenever you hear a bump in your house....

The simplelest masks are often the most effective, and that shit looks creepy as hell... no way. I felt the best horror flick in recent times was the ring but that scared you the good old fashion way, making you think your seeing gross things when really your not.

No way I watch that movie.. I'll see the trailer again but no way.

And about Atonement. I agree that the movie had it's interesting parts but really took being "english" to another level... most british films have this snootiness to them, and this one took it there... the only saving grace was the ending I thought and of course that 10-15 minute straight take on the beach... very children of men (another british movie)...they assume the viewer fills in too many gaps, instead of telling a solid story... I don't need my hand held but that was a bit much.

I was merely "So-So on "Atonement" as well.

The problem I had was there was so little explanation and build-up of the love between Knightley and Mcavoy before the you-know-what hits the fan. I never felt I knew much about them, and therefore didn't feel much for what they went through in trying to be reuinted.

The casting was very good though. The young girl-young-woman-older woman all look exactly alike.

"Before The Devil Knows You're Dead". A great crime film with terrific performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei and Albert Finney. I wasn't too crazy about the last act, but it's one of the better films I saw made last year. Plus, Tomei gets naked a lot and she just gets better with age.

Heard good things about this movie, and also Marisa's boobies.

I wanna see The Happening

I wasn't a big fan of Lady In The Water, but I think he'll come back with one this time that will really **** with your head

Heard good things about this movie, and also Marisa's boobies.
Just watched it last week.

7/10 for the movie, 10/10 for the tat shots.

Unfortunately, right as it gets too long it gets alittle unbelievable...takes away from the movie as a whole, but the fact that PSH is in it makes up for any shortcomings. That guy is a great actor.

Back