• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

It’s basically a canola oil smoothie, so definitely not healthy. The only people I know who falsely think otherwise are clueless meat eaters who get to play vegetarian for a day.

The marketing I saw focuses on being meat free and environmentally sustainable.

I think Beyond Meat is a good choice for vegetarians who want the occasional junk food fix. A large part of a hamburger’s appeal are the bun and all the salty condiments.

The key point is environmental sustainability.

The amount of resources required, feed, water, land, that goes into making meat does take quite the toll on the environment.

If beyond meat can get meat eaters to eat something that tastes just like meat without the harmful effects of growing meat then that's a game changer.

Would be nice if it didn't cause cancer though.

The key point is environmental sustainability.

The amount of resources required, feed, water, land, that goes into making meat does take quite the toll on the environment.

If beyond meat can get meat eaters to eat something that tastes just like meat without the harmful effects of growing meat then that's a game changer.

Would be nice if it didn't cause cancer though.

I'm a meat eater. To reduce the negative impact of my choice, I just eat less of it. A canola smoothie in a bun? No thanks. I actually enjoy vegetables and have gotten pretty good at preparing them.

I'm a meat eater. To reduce the negative impact of my choice, I just eat less of it. A canola smoothie in a bun? No thanks. I actually enjoy vegetables and have gotten pretty good at preparing them.
A canola smoothie that tastes like beef?

I'll take that over veggies. I think most people would.

A canola smoothie that tastes like beef?

I'll take that over veggies. I think most people would.

I'm totally fine with that. Makes the much more nutrient dense and fresh veggies cheaper for me.

I don't know about the Beyond Meat burger but apparently the Impossible Burger turns out to be no healthier and no better for the environment than regular burgers.

I don't know about the Beyond Meat burger but apparently the Impossible Burger turns out to be no healthier and no better for the environment than regular burgers.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw22k6pMAj-LTXvHOhoxTT11&ampcf
Since 2016, vegan food brand Beyond Meathas positioned its products – plant-based burgers created to look, feel, taste and cook like their animal-based counterparts – as healthier, more ethical and more sustainable.

Recently the company went a step further and commissioned researchers at the University of Michigan’s Center for Sustainable Systems to put its flagship product the Beyond Burger through a life cycle analysis (LCA) study to determine how its environmental impact (greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water and land use) compares with production of a traditional beef burger. The study also sought to highlight how Beyond Meat could make the Beyond Burger product chain even more eco-friendly.

The environmental impact of US beef production was drawn from an existing LCA study commissioned by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association in 2017 and the Beyond Burger’s LCA was evaluated using the same impact assessment methods.

The report, which was released today, found that the Beyond Burger generates 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less non-renewable energy, has more than 99% less impact on water scarcity and 93% less impact on land use than a quarter pound of US beef.

To give you an idea of the real-life impact, according to a spokesperson for Beyond Meat: “On average, Americans eat three burgers a week. If they switched just one of these beef burgers to a Beyond Burger for a year, it would be like taking 12 million cars off the road and saving enough energy to power 2.3 million homes.”
Take it with a grain of salt because I'm always suspicious of a study funded by companies, but if it does even half of what it says it does its still a game changer.

When and if lab-grown meat becomes commercially viable, I’ll be willing to give that a try.

But zero interest whatsoever on my part in any of these veggie alternatives to meat.

I thought it was a reasonably facsimile to meat but not quite like the real thing. A little bland, imo.
The breakfast sausage patty, due to the fennel seasoning, was more convincing.

What if the plant burger tastes better? You wouldn't eat it....out of....meat pride?

Meh, don't need to convince everyone.

Convince a third of people, maybe half, and bam, we can go a long way to reducing the environmental harm on the planet in a way that doesn't mean people have to go without the taste of meat.

I thought it was a reasonably facsimile to meat but not quite like the real thing. A little bland, imo.
The breakfast sausage patty, due to the fennel seasoning, was more convincing.
I've tried the burger and sausage, and the only difference I found was the burger was slightly more mushy than the real meat. As if it was slightly undercooked. Found the taste to be spot on. But it was the works, the make awesome burgers. Tasted really good with goat cheese

Back