• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: MLB Thread

The Impact did have di Vaio, Nesta and Drogba - Saputo knows how lavish these guys with cash. But the org backed off signing aged stars for performance reasons. They’ve changed their model, and it appears that signing aged stars from Europe is done.

Younger B level talent from Latin America is the ticket.

I hope so. The impact need results, they can't remain a bubble team for years.

If grabbing B level talent from Latin America pays off, power to them. Just haven't seen any other team do it this way.

The Impact did have di Vaio, Nesta and Drogba - Saputo knows how lavish these guys with cash. But the org backed off signing aged stars for performance reasons. They’ve changed their model, and it appears that signing aged stars from Europe is done.

Younger B level talent from Latin America is the ticket.

Great players, wrong type of stars to help grow the game....when was the last time you saw Nesta (or Di Vaio before him) give interviews, and promote the sport in MTL (irregardless of language issues).

Some of the Expos players couldn’t speak a word of English, but you still saw them out in public promoting the team (with a translator)....

I’m not the biggest football fan in the world, but i can still pick Giovinco, Altiodore, Bradley out of a crowd....not sure i can recognize one Impact player out of a group sitting in a restaurant for example....

I’m not the biggest football fan in the world, but i can still pick Giovinco, Altiodore, Bradley out of a crowd....not sure i can recognize one Impact player out of a group sitting in a restaurant for example....

Drogba when he was playing. But other than that, not really.

Phillies sign Bryce Harper to 13 year contract for $330,000,000. Wow. Mike Trout is very happy.

Yes and no.

Money wise sure but no way Phillies sign him too and iirc, he is a Philadelphia guy.

I'm choked the Giants didn't get him, he will hit more HRs than our entire OF.

Lots of good reads on how he isn’t even top 10 best player in the MLB...outside his 2 great years (out of a total of 8 years played)

Lots of good reads on how he isn’t even top 10 best player in the MLB...outside his 2 great years (out of a total of 8 years played)

Neither Harper or Machado wanted to go to these franchises . The heavyweights chose not to open the vault for these guys .

They took the money and took one for the PA to keep the top stars compensation high and set a new bar .

It will be interesting to see how this Harper fiasco turns out .

Philly fans boo landings at the airport and Santa at the mall . They will rip him to shreds if he doesnt produce big time

Oh well. Take that, Bryce Harper . . .

Trout is hands down worth WAY more than 100m than Harper over the next 12 years. I don't think Harper even thought for a second he would make more than Betts/Trout. Although, Harper gets a lot of endorsement deals too.

Trout is hands down worth WAY more than 100m than Harper over the next 12 years. I don't think Harper even thought for a second he would make more than Betts/Trout. Although, Harper gets a lot of endorsement deals too.

Not even close Trout will go down as a top 10 of all time

I wouldn't even put Harper in the top 25 in this league right now

To this point in his career, Trout is arguably the best player in baseball history. Hard to really "overpay" him.

Nothing has changed from Major League Baseball. The conditions remain the same, that baseball will not expand until the stadium situations in Tampa Bay and Oakland are resolved. Montreal could be a candidate for relocation, it could not. It could be a candidate for expansion, but it could lose out to another city in that process. That side of things remains largely the same.

What’s changed is the tone of the person leading the effort in Montreal. Bronfman sounded like a man who was on the verge of a deal Monday, not one that is necessarily imminent, but one that will eventually happen one way or another. He’s never sounded that way before.

The return of baseball to Montreal: How sameness and drastic difference conspire to create optimism https://theathletic.com/888383/2019...astic-difference-conspire-to-create-optimism/

Back