• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: MLB Thread

Re: OT: MLB Thread 2012

Well boys and girls, it's that time of year when I get misty eyed thinking about the start of another baseball season without nos amours. A little harder this year with all the memories rekindled when Gary Carter died.

As Krusty mentions in another thread, the economics of baseball are too rich for us at this point so there is no real hope of a return of our beloved team in the short or medium term. However, I never say never and maybe one day before I die, I will be able to cheer the boys of summer once again in our own backyard.

Until then, play ball.

Yes and no, Pittsburgh and Miami are small markets, but they had the political will power to build new stadiums.

The biggest problem...baseball is America's pastime not ours.

Yes and no, Pittsburgh and Miami are small markets, but they had the political will power to build new stadiums.

The biggest problem...baseball is America's pastime not ours.

lack of fans in Montreal didn't help, you can't run a team on 5 cheap hot dog nights per year

Bonds is treated the way he is just because he is black.

You know damn well he held that franchise hostage while he chased the record. They were never a threat to win anything. And then they win the WS. You don't think that's strange?

He was an egomaniac, à la Roger Clemens.

when a player rakes in millions upon millions, cheats his sport, team and fans to make those millions, I don't see race as being an issue...

when a player rakes in millions upon millions, cheats his sport, team and fans to make those millions, I don't see race as being an issue...

he didn't cheat anything, they weren't testing and just about everyone was doing it anyway

he helped bring baseball back after the strike, and heal the US after 2001 when he set the record that year

Hank Aaron took poppers/greenies anyway

he didn't cheat anything, they weren't testing and just about everyone was doing it anyway

he helped bring baseball back after the strike, and heal the US after 2001 when he set the record that year

not testing for it doesn't make it less illegal
that's like speeding on the highway, and saying because you didn't get caught, you didn't speed... Would that mean cheating on your wife isn't cheating unless you got caught?

besides, MLB not testing for it doesn't make it less illegal... it was illegal for him to buy it, and it was illegal for him to use it... Buying drugs... from illegal drug sources... nothing wrong there!

and he still says he didn't do it... if there was nothing wrong with what he did, he'd own up to it... he's covering it up.... innocent people don't often cover this kind of thing up!

I think that steroids were illegal, without a prescription. I consider that cheating. Bonds was a great player and a sure fire HOF'er before he went on the juice. He got jealous of the attention that Sosa and McGwire (two other users) were getting. You don't have your best seasons after the age of 35. He got what he deserved. If it was a race issue, then why did the Feds go after Clemens as well?

not testing for it doesn't make it less illegal
that's like speeding on the highway, and saying because you didn't get caught, you didn't speed... Would that mean cheating on your wife isn't cheating unless you got caught?

besides, MLB not testing for it doesn't make it less illegal... it was illegal for him to buy it, and it was illegal for him to use it... Buying drugs... from illegal drug sources... nothing wrong there!

and he still says he didn't do it... if there was nothing wrong with what he did, he'd own up to it... he's covering it up.... innocent people don't often cover this kind of thing up!

did he never fail a drug test?

if MLB didn't care enough to test for them, why should you care?

did he never fail a drug test?

if MLB didn't care enough to test for them, why should you care?

some of us have a sense for right and wrong, and it would be great if some of those that are sometimes looked at as idols would do the same...

Barry cheated... he wasn't the first one, he wasn't the last one, and he certainly wasn't the only one... whether they did it by bending the rules or swimming the grey areas, at the end of the day they still cheated...

not getting caught cheating doesn't mean you're not a cheater

some of us have a sense for right and wrong, and it would be great if some of those that are sometimes looked at as idols would do the same...

Barry cheated... he wasn't the first one, he wasn't the last one, and he certainly wasn't the only one... whether they did it by bending the rules or swimming the grey areas, at the end of the day they still cheated...

not getting caught cheating doesn't mean you're not a cheater

if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

A tree falling isn't breaking any rules/laws, and is expected to fall at some point....

a tree falling in the forest is also not in a position to make millions by doing so on purpose...

from a legal point of view however, I am right

in a court of law... sure... we pretty much have to catch them with the needle sticking out of their butts to get a conviction...

in a court of public opinion... and lets face it, these guys are in the public eye... they're not happy just making millions and bagging chicks on the road...

Bonds didn't get a new contract offer from anyone because of the baggage associated with him... same with Sosa and Canseco... nothing to do with their skin color or where they were born.

The fummy thing is if he had been up front about it, people probably would have made less of a deal about it. But he wouldn't man up to it. Of course that could be because his balls had shrunk while his head balooned.

Vlad never admitted to using either, neither did Lance Armstrong who will still fight you to the death if you claim he used.

Back