• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Trading Block

Blueman

On the block:
Theodore, Letestu, Wingels, Nolan, J Jokinen, Gustavsson, Timonen, Robidas, Bitz, Morrow, Montoya, Salak, Thiessen, Friberg

Re: Trading Block

Just a heads up, only players you will be protecting for the expansion draft are eligible to be dealt (in fact I don't believe any deals can be made official until after said expansion draft).....to prevent people from dealing away players/prospects and utilizing their newly created keeper slots.

(not sure if this applies to any of the guys you listed or not, but just figured this would be as good a place as any to remind people of that)

Brings up a good point-

Trading for Wisniewski from Jonas, I dealt 2 prospects on my protected list (Foligno and Campbell). Obviously, I cannot put him to a prospect slot, so I assumed I would need to drop a player to my exposed list (in this case, more than likely, Connolly).

Is that something that is acceptable? I dont see why it would be a problem, but someone else might see an issue with it that I don't.

Brings up a good point-

Trading for Wisniewski from Jonas, I dealt 2 prospects on my protected list (Foligno and Campbell). Obviously, I cannot put him to a prospect slot, so I assumed I would need to drop a player to my exposed list (in this case, more than likely, Connolly).

Is that something that is acceptable? I dont see why it would be a problem, but someone else might see an issue with it that I don't.

Like HP points out, you'd basically just keep your protected list the same, and "officially" complete the trade after the expansion draft.....ditto with the Malkin deal.

Ok, wasn't 100% sure on that.

In the case of your Malkin trade though, with a pick from this year involved, does that change anything?

It might make things easier if we can just assume that trades won't be processed until after the expansion draft. So make your protection list based on your end of season rosters, and make sure you don't trade any guys on your unprotected list.

If we open up trading now it could create some "loopholes" to take advantage of, and change who people would be protecting, since official lists haven't been submitted yet.

Ok, my bad.

I am mixing the expansion and the rookie/waiver draft together. Thats where I was getting confused.

In the case of your Malkin trade though, with a pick from this year involved, does that change anything?

Picks don't make a difference since they are not needed to be protected.

Nope. We'll pass on our protected list, the expansion draft will take place, and then our trade with Jonas will become 'official' official.....at which time the entry draft, FA draft, etc will be taking place.

Just a heads up, only players you will be protecting for the expansion draft are eligible to be dealt (in fact I don't believe any deals can be made official until after said expansion draft).....to prevent people from dealing away players/prospects and utilizing their newly created keeper slots.

(not sure if this applies to any of the guys you listed or not, but just figured this would be as good a place as any to remind people of that)
I don't understand. We haven't finalized our reserve players yet. I was under the impression that FA pickups were now frozen but trading is open season.

If there is a trade freeze then today's trade's wouldn't count. If trading is open season, then these players are all available off my team.

I don't understand. We haven't finalized our reserve players yet. I was under the impression that FA pickups were now frozen but trading is open season.

If there is a trade freeze then today's trade's wouldn't count. If trading is open season, then these players are all available off my team.

Trading season isn't open, and the trades don't "count" per se.....in that they aren't official.....they're simply deals that were agreed upon in principle, that will become official after the expansion draft. (which is made possible by only agreeing to a deal that involves players that will be protected)

Just a matter of semantics really, as long as deals are completely within the framework of the keeper/protected list rules.....

I have had a ton of people over the year ask about fowler, not saying I'm going to move him but if you want to submit an offer I may listen

I would have loved to pick him up at the start of the year or part way through it, but given how my current roster looks, I don't have the assets or space to put him on my team, crazy as that seems.

You can always have some preliminary talks and see if any assets or price you are willing to pay match up

Back