• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: What Really Matters!

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
I posted this on the Habs board and figured since I post on this board as much as that one I'd post it here too.

So last Tuesday night shortly after the Habs win in game 5 while I was basking in the glory my father suffered a massive heart attack. He too is a huge Habs fan and watched the game and was on cloud 9. After he and my step mom watched the game he was so happy. They decided to watch America's Got Talent which was on the PVR. Which may have saved his life. They were discussing the acts as they watched then during the first commercial break his wife noticed that he wasn't fast forwarding through the commercial she looked over and his eyes were closed. She she told him to wake up and he wouldn't open his eyes. So after trying for a few seconds she called 911. They arrived within 6 minutes and were able to get his heart beating again.

After hearing the news we made the 12 hour drive from Meadow Lake SK to Winnipeg Wednesday morning. We were basically told to pray for a miracle and we packed funeral clothes. For the first 3 days after they kept him in a medically induced coma and on life support. His vitals seemed decent but the biggest concern was that he could be brain dead. Then on Friday they removed the cooling blanket and warmed him up. By Friday evening he actually woke up and could answer yes and no questions and even whisper a few words. So that was a huge relief. He weren't sure if there was some brain damage or not but at least we know he's in there to some extent.

Unfortunately late that night he became extremely agitated and was thrashing around and tore out his tubes and IV. They had to sedate him and since then they have tried bringing him out of it he has been very agitated and delirious. So as of right now we are waiting for his heart to get stronger so they able to try again. They did an angiogram and it turns out he'll need a triple bypass when he is awake and strong enough.

Watching game 6 of the Habs/Rangers series on Thursday sure put things into perspective. I'm normally very emotionally involved in the games and a loss like that in an elimination game and would have been really pissed off. In this case I barely cared. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see them win and keep winning but it just didn't seem to matter.

Sorry to hear that HP, I hope your dad is able to make a full recovery. Life is certainly full of surprises, and you have no idea when something like this will happen. A co-worker of my mom's died about a month back after suffering a stroke at work. She spent three days in a coma and then died. Was really surprising as she was only 51.

Sorry to hear that HP. I lost my pop 25 years ago and it still hurts. Hope he pulls through and you get a lot more time with him.

Thoughts and prayers to your family HP, hope things turn around for him.

My great uncle passed away at the ACC a bunch of years ago during the intermission of a Leaf game....had a stroke while standing in line to use a urinal, fell and hit his head.

Best wishes to you and yours HP.

We live in a great Country HP, he's going to get his operation without having to jump through hoops or wait, so as bad as things are at least he's getting what he needs.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I feel pretty optimistic that he's going to make a full recovery and a couple months after the surgery he'll be feeling better than he has in years. It's just tough seeing him like this. He's 67 and like me he's always carried extra weight, plus he has diabetes. Besides that though, he's not sickly or frail by any means. He golfed 30 holes on Monday then 18 on Tuesday then came home and mowed the lawn. He's got a lot of life left in him... but he (and I) has to get serious about getting healthier.

Anyways, I definitely did not post this as a woe is me story though I very much appreciate well wishes. I wasn't going to post about this at all then I was doing a fair bit of reading on here for the first time in over a week and on the Habs board I saw a fair bit of anger from after the Habs game and know that's I'd usually have been right in there. I realize that we all know these lessons, and we'll all fall back into getting stressed out about hockey but figured that sometimes we really need to put things into perspective. Hell, maybe someone will have to remind me of this next year when I'm losing my shit in game 37 if the Habs blow a lead in the 3rd.

Just a quick update. We just got back from the hospital. They had him almost completely off the sedatives. The have him on 1 MG of Propofal (aka MJ Juice) and he was actually able to open his eyes and also he could nod and shake his head to answer questions.

We had a good day like this last Friday as well. Hopefully he doesn't get too agitated again like he did that night.

Late to this, but best wishes to you and the family HP. Also, if your dad starts wearing only one glove get him off the Propofal immediately!

It should turn out okay with the treatment they have these days. Sounds like he's out of the extreme danger.

My dad had bypass surgery after a major heart attack when he was 67. He lived another 24 years, was very healthy until the end, and enjoyed his bonus years immensely.

HP-

I'm really sorry to hear that your father is going through a rough time he wise and that he makes a full recovery, it's never any fun to watch a parent go through something that serious. I can totally relate man, I just found out last week that my Mom has Melanoma, she's had it for over a year and decided not to do anything about it. She has her referral's this week for the cancer clinic and depending on what stage it is the best option is surgery but we'll know more after tommorow.

Anyways man here's hoping your father makes it through this nightmare.

Thank you everyone.

BL it's great to hear a story like that... and I'd like to think that these surgeries have become even more "routine" at this point too.

P84, best of luck to your mom. My mom had a lung removed a few years ago due to lung cancer and is doing great now.

Your welcome, and like others said nowadays there's all kinds of heart surgeries available. Thanks, if its anything I've learned from this it's life changes on a dime and all the bullshit in life is just minor and to appreciate the greater things in life.. best way to live life is day to day, glad to hear your Mom made a full recovery.

Back