• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Penguins to announce Rutherford as new general manager

Not a huge fan of this move from a Pens' perspective, but Rutherford said he'll only be there 2-3 years before handing over the reigns, presumably to Jason Botterill.

Well that and he's never been known as one to be a strong evaluator of blueline talent. This has the makings of a disaster all over it.

BTW, since it's been mentioned elsewhere, anyone think the Pens might make a run at Cam Ward?

TBK
Shero gave away so many picks to make the Cup run last year, I'm sure JR was told to avoid dealing away too many of those.

Would you swap him for Marc-Andre? ;)

Funny to look back at this from a 2021 perspective. J. R. made the deals that brought us two Cups in '16 and '17 (for which I'm very grateful), then the inevitable downhill slide began. And the Pens' farm system is still paper thin (ranked dead last by hockeywriters.com). If the Pens make the playoffs this season I'll be shocked.

TBK
Shero gave away so many picks to make the Cup run last year, I'm sure JR was told to avoid dealing away too many of those.

Would you swap him for Marc-Andre? ;)
Oh and I was SO wrong about Marc-Andre! Should've been the Cup-winning goalie in '16 and '17 save for the injury, and then his career in Vegas? Yeah, VERY wrong. I think that sports psychologist who turned his life around should be worth their weight in gold by now.

Back