• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Good The Bad & The Ugly - Game 45 - Predators vs Habs

But isn't the point of arguing about Therrien being the right coach for this team to say "if I were in charge I'd have hired someone else?" So if I were in charge I'd be basing my decision on pretty much everything besides him being able to speak French.

At one point, before he accepted an offer from the Flames, I guess we could have hired Bob Hartley but MB preferred Therrien who doesn't always sound brilliant but is a darn good motivator. With him, it's motivation by fear. Even if your name is Briere or Crosby, he'll put you on the fourth line or even in the stands if your work ethics aren't up to snuf.

At one point, before he accepted an offer from the Flames, I guess we could have hired Bob Hartley but MB preferred Therrien who doesn't always sound brilliant but is a darn good motivator. With him, it's motivation by fear. Even if your name is Briere or Crosby, he'll put you on the fourth line or even in the stands if your work ethics aren't up to snuf.

Not quite

How the heck did this turn into a French required coaching debate. Habs take a week off and look what happens...

But isn't the point of arguing about Therrien being the right coach for this team to say "if I were in charge I'd have hired someone else?" So if I were in charge I'd be basing my decision on pretty much everything besides him being able to speak French.

No. If you change the criterias, you change the questions. Why would you advocate firing the coach in favor of a coach that will never be hired here? That's pretty much like saying we should fire Therrien and hire Babcock or Quenneville, not taking into account that they are already under contract and might not even accept the offer.

If you change your surrounding world and remove all the restrictions, things gets much simpler, but it's not realistic.

No. If you change the criterias, you change the questions. Why would you advocate firing the coach in favor of a coach that will never be hired here? That's pretty much like saying we should fire Therrien and hire Babcock or Quenneville, not taking into account that they are already under contract and might not even accept the offer.

If you change your surrounding world and remove all the restrictions, things gets much simpler, but it's not realistic.

But our management has the ability to remove the antiquated handcuffs they impose upon themselves. It is not beyond their control in any way shape or form.

But our management has the ability to remove the antiquated handcuffs they impose upon themselves. It is not beyond their control in any way shape or form.

Only Geoff Molson has that power.

All I'm saying is that there is two separate discussions that can be had, which leads to very different answers.

We can discuss the hypothetical and doubtful situation in which management removes the French criteria, in which case the candidate pool becomes much greater and much better options becomes available.

Or we can discuss the current reality in which a coach is required to speak French, in which case the candidate pool becomes much more limited and better options are not as obvious.

My opinion regarding Therrien is quite different whether we are discussing the first situation or the second.

Especially if you happened to have the last name Tinordi. If your last name is Desharnais you have to suck for a prolonged period of time before you find yourself eating steamies in the press box.

Especially if you happened to have the last name Tinordi. If your last name is Desharnais you have to suck for a prolonged period of time before you find yourself eating steamies in the press box.

Or Bournival who never skips a game, or Briere who played on the first line all last year.

Back