• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Earlier this year, the thought was maybe Danault would be the odd man out going forward but with the way he has been playing, that likely won't be the case. We could always move Domi back to the wing in place of say Lehkonen.

To think when we last had Weise, our top centre in his last game was Lars Eller. Now we have a plethora of options.

I think this time last year we had JDR, andrew Shaw p, Byron Froese playing center

I still see Poehling as an O'Reilly type so I'm with you. I think Suzuki might be closer to a Tatar type of player.

I don't see RP putting up ROR numbers in this league . His style of play as a 200 foot 2 way player will be like ROR .

I will be happy as 40-50 point Bergeron lite player .

I don't see RP putting up ROR numbers in this league . His style of play as a 200 foot 2 way player will be like ROR .

I will be happy as 40-50 point Bergeron lite player .
I agree with that, but then again I think he'll be better than Danault and he's having quite a nice year.

I agree with that, but then again I think he'll be better than Danault and he's having quite a nice year.

Finally after 2 decades of looking for legit centers ...... it will be a strength for many years

That Weise trade is looking better and better each day

Finally after 2 decades of looking for legit centers ...... it will be a strength for many years

That Weise trade is looking better and better each day

Last time it was a strength we had Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu down the middle, and we all know how that turned out, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's also amazing that since we started drafting centers, we know have centers in our pipeline. Crazy how that works.

have we though?

i honestly do not know

i use hockeydb to look at it but some that were drafted as centre they have at wing...eg. Leblanc

seems like we still draft mostly Dmen

C and D

we have drafted 4 wingers in the last 5 drafts (two of them in this last draft)

have we though?

i honestly do not know

i use hockeydb to look at it but some that were drafted as centre they have at wing...eg. Leblanc

seems like we still draft mostly Dmen

C and D

we have drafted 4 wingers in the last 5 drafts (two of them in this last draft)

Maybe if we get back to he start of our drought at center, starting after we drafted Koivu in 1993.

First I'm going to only consider meaningful rounds, 1-3.

Between 1994-1997, we only drafted Matt Higgins at center.
1998 we drafted both Chouinard and Ribeiro.
2001 - Plekanec (3rd round)
2003 - Urqhart, Lapierre
2004 - Chipchura (and Grabosvky 5th round)
2006 - Maxwell, White
2007 - Fortier
2009 - Naatinen
2012 - Galchenyuk** (not sure how much he was ever truly considered a center)
2013-2016 : Vedjemo, Bitten

Last 2 drafts : Poehling, Ikonen, Kotkaniemi, Olofsson, Ellis

1994-2002 (Pre Timmins) : 14 / 89, 15.7%, only 3 in the top 2 rounds
2003-2011 (Timmins pre MB) : 18 / 67, 27%, only 4 in the top 2 rounds
2012-2016 : 8 / 32, 25 %, only 1 in the top 2 rounds (Galchenyuk)
Last 2 drafts : 9 / 18 50%, 4 in the top 2 rounds

Crazy to think that Koivu and Plekanec are probably the 2 best centres we ever drafted.

I'll put Carbonneau in that conversation but yes, it is crazy!

Cassels and Conroy were decent as well, with Tucker and Ribeiro rounding out the list of relevant centers. Add Gilchrist and Lapierre and that's pretty much the whole list of the NHL centers that we've drafted.

Back