• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Montreal Talking to Jets(e4) and Flyers (e3).... Laine and Sanheim?
July 14, 2019, 11:45 AM ET [0 Comments]

Eklund

Hearing a ton today about this....a rumor I first wrote about days ago...

The Canadiens aren't done. Not by a long shot...

This morning again two more reports, from sources I have known for years, who are telling me the Habs are looking around the NHL to add some star power and targeting two players....

Mainly Patrick Laine....'Laine could be an offer sheet as early as tomorrow," one source continued, "it is far from a secret both sides have connected and talked contract..."

Laine is an interesting case among the RFA's after he struggled so much last season and found himself in the doghouse in a contract year....This has the Jets more than a bit nervous to go hog wild with term ...Montreal could really put the Jets into a bad spot and the Jets know it. Montreal doesn't want to give up all the draft picks in an offer sheet so trade talk becomes inevitable..

The Canadiens also continue to talk to the Flyers regarding a d-man...The name that was coming up two weeks ago has changed...Then it looked like Gostisbehere was the key component, but now that has shifted to Travis Sanheim....

Sanheim is an interesting case. Big kid that would look good on Weber's left side. I don't know what the Flyers would be looking for in return.

I'm leery on paying Laine big bucks. Something is off with that kid. I don't see it happening.

If MB were to go the trade route what names would he be willing to dangle that have any value?

Meaning via trade what would it take to get Laine?

i would figure Drouin as a starting point.

Picks and prospects. I don’t think Winnipeg wants to take back salary.

Likely looking at Suzuki and a first type of thing.

If the jets move Laine, which I have serious doubts on, they will do so for the cap relief. They will not be interested in Drouin.

This board is really Chicken Little when it comes to the salary cap.

They've got two big contracts to sign but plenty of space. Once they're signed, it looks like the rest of the players required to fill out the roster are just cheap depth.

If the Jets move Laine its because they have no interest in having this guy locked up long term, the feeling is that they don’t see him as a key cog to their core after his atrocious second half and playoffs....simply put I just don’t think they think of him as highly as they once did.

Nothing to do with their cap situation since they have more than enough to get him signed.

I have no idea why one would think they would be looking for prospects and picks as a return.

If the Jets move Laine its because they have no interest in having this guy locked up long term, the feeling is that they don’t see him as a key cog to their core after his atrocious second half and playoffs....simply put I just don’t think they think of him as highly as they once did.

Nothing to do with their cap situation since they have more than enough to get him signed.

I have no idea why one would think they would be looking for prospects and picks as a return.
He had decent playoffs actually, a redeeming factor on his really poor second half.

I agree. They need two pieces. A cap friendly middling top 6, and a prospect. Also could use some fillers so I’d offer;

Drouin, Suzuki, Peca. That gets it done in my view.

Habs are desperate, so they will make a desperate move in the hopes they land a stud. They took Domi. They will take a chance on Laine cuz he’s young, Finish, and has mad nose for goals which is exactly what we need. Him and KK could be scary.

Back