• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

A little something for the dreamers...

EK.jpg

Where’s this Karlsson “injury prone” stigma coming from?

GP over last 6-seasons (since 2013-2014):
53 - this past season due to a real injury

It’s not a “once every 30-year blue moon event”, Caps were not favorites last year, nor were the Pens in 2016.

The so called favorites like TBay, Leafs, Preds have done squat in the post season. Parity in the NHL is real.

The Caps have been strong contenders for years . Underachieving is one thing but they have been in the conversation for a cup for a long time

This is a total blue moon event . 4 WC teams advancing to the second round and beyond is an event no one predicted this year .

Has this happened before in this playoff format ?

Parity is one thing , a team last on Jan 1 possibly winning a cup is a blue moon event .

They had maybe a .5 % chance of making the playing the playoffs .

Where’s this Karlsson “injury prone” stigma coming from?

GP over last 6-seasons (since 2013-2014):
53 - this past season due to a real injury

His play was nowhere near elite the last few years , he is not the 2016 version anymore

DK , how can the transition be over when its start/stop start/stop since Nero took over .....with no direction

You cant put together a winner in one summer " go for it " effort .

Lets not get fooled with a once every 30 year blue moon event when every favourite gets knocked out in round 1

The chance of a last place team on Jan 1 in the cup finals will probably never happen again.

You put together a winner with sound drafting and development and timely acquisitions as you improve in the standings and show that your a legitimate contender .

There are too many ifs and buts on this roster .

MB is already on record saying he will be going after a high end UFA this summer, so the rebuild is over. The habs exceeded expectations last year, so your dream of rebuilding is completely over. I don't think they are going in ALL win now mode, ie trading picks to get guys with 1-2 years left. So, what you want, and what the habs will do, are two different plans? You know that right? lol. So, EK + MD transform this team into a contender, along with Suzuki + Poehling, right? You think we can't put together a winner in 1 summer, but the fact is, we were damn close to the playoffs last year and we could potentially have 4 new players like I just mentioned.

MB is already on record saying he will be going after a high end UFA this summer, so the rebuild is over. The habs exceeded expectations last year, so your dream of rebuilding is completely over. I don't think they are going in ALL win now mode, ie trading picks to get guys with 1-2 years left. So, what you want, and what the habs will do, are two different plans? You know that right? lol. So, EK + MD transform this team into a contender, along with Suzuki + Poehling, right? You think we can't put together a winner in 1 summer, but the fact is, we were damn close to the playoffs last year and we could potentially have 4 new players like I just mentioned.

Sure and you could have players like Petry , Price and others not play to expectations or have Domi not back top 70 points .

Putting your hopes on the kids to come through in year 1 is crazy .

I am far less worried about Hot Karl than Duchene.

Both on the injury side and skill/production side.

Oh his play absolutely was elite. No real debate there.

An elite 2016 EK can carry you deep in the playoffs

A 70% EK on a stacked SJ team looked like shit playing with Burns in the top 3

If that's the player your throwing 10 mil at ....good luck

I am far less worried about Hot Karl than Duchene.

Both on the injury side and skill/production side.

MD will play in his mid thirties easily barring a major injury . He has elite wheels and doesn't play heavy hockey .

If your looking at longevity only its no contest for me

Here's the philosophy I see MB going with.

He will try to put together a competitive team this summer going after UFA's and possibly making some trades

But I think big picture he will still stay the course in terms of and not trade 1st rounders and prospects for the immediate.

His play was nowhere near elite the last few years , he is not the 2016 version anymore
Not elite??

Over the last 6-seasons:
54 in 82GP
45 in 82GP
66 in 82GP
54 in 77GP
53 in 71GP
42 in 53GP this past season (prorated to 65 points in a full season)

What am I missing?

An elite 2016 EK can carry you deep in the playoffs

A 70% EK on a stacked SJ team looked like shit playing with Burns in the top 3

If that's the player your throwing 10 mil at ....good luck
EK is probably top-2 PP QB - an ingredient the Habs lack throughout the system.

More importantly, EK is a point producer. Sign Edler to complement EKs defensive liabilities, giving the Habs a pretty formidable D group.

Alot is changing in the NHL, these 3-4 year rebuilds will be a thing of the past as that is a far too long stretch to go at sucking, especially in American markets.

Yes, you will get high draft picks in those 3-4 years but several teams have proven that despite getting those high picks over that period they have dug themselves so deep in a hole that is very hard to get out of....Edmonton, Buffalo, Florida, Arizona are prime examples of teams that are loaded with young talent but are continuously trying to get to another level with little success.

The new trend will be what the Rangers are about to do in that you tank for two years, liquidate all veteran assets to get more draft picks and prospects and than get back on the horse, Rangers will be going hard after UFAs this summer and want to win.

I suspect this is what the Kings and Hawks will also do...these long 3-4-5 year rebuilds are far to iffy in guaranteeing success

DK , at least the Rags tanked for 2 years and unloaded their vets for picks and prospects and now have Kakko , Kravsov and others in the funnel

At least it was their plan to unload most who had no future or fit in their plans to work with their youth moving forward .

What was our plan the last 7 years ? We never fully capitalized on unloading our vets and bring on new ones like Weber and dumping an A level prospect on a French flake.

The Kings are done for many years as they try to flush their cap mistakes down the drain . The Hawks are in year 3 of a semi rebuild and still have work to do .

If done properly the Shanaplan could work if you go all in . There are no guarantees the shorter route works if your too deep into cap or veteran decline trouble like many teams are in .

Look at Minny they have retooling for years and still getting nowhere .

Nothing beats building a quality base of developed players then adding IMO when your winning.

Not elite??

Over the last 6-seasons:
54 in 82GP
45 in 82GP
66 in 82GP
54 in 77GP
53 in 71GP
42 in 53GP this past season (prorated to 65 points in a full season)

What am I missing?

I agree, We need his offense from the back end, we will get that from him no matter where he is physically be it 100% or 70%, we can't look the other way at a 60-70 point dman.

When it comes to defending he will definitely need to be partnered up with the right player at this stage of his career, not sure we have that guy

EK is probably top-2 PP QB - an ingredient the Habs lack throughout the system.

More importantly, EK is a point producer. Sign Edler to complement EKs defensive liabilities, giving the Habs a pretty formidable D group.

Please ... he was shit a good part of the season and a non factor in the playoffs

He couldn't defend a statue in the playoffs , it wasn't for Coture and others Sharks were toast .

He made no playoff impact whatsoever

Please ... he was shit a good part of the season and a non factor in the playoffs

He couldn't defend a statue in the playoffs , it wasn't for Coture and others Sharks were toast .

He made no playoff impact whatsoever
EKs not there to defend he’s an elite point producer on the back end, and he did so in the playoffs 16 in 19GP on one leg.

Here's the philosophy I see MB going with.

He will try to put together a competitive team this summer going after UFA's and possibly making some trades

But I think big picture he will still stay the course in terms of and not trade 1st rounders and prospects for the immediate.

Well, I hope he won't waste 1st rounders on guys with 1-2 years left. Also, if they do swap any draft picks, I hope it's closer to the deadline after we see where we stand. But, the fact EK even hinted he would listen if we offered a competitive offer, means quite a lot. It means that as long as we are near the highest offer, we should be a favorite, plus you add in the endorsements that comes with playing in a big city like MTL. I'm sorry, but I think it would be a big failure if MB doesn't pull through on this RARE opportunity. If EK signs, you look to add a solid forward and I will be on the bandwagon, and let me tell you something, it's been quite a while since I've been on the bandwagon. I don't think we will have the best team, but you don't need to necessarily to win the cup ie Tampa this year.

Back