• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

David Poile got the better player, on the better contract, got some great years out of him and dumped him right when he (might be) started to decline without taking any salary in return.

How is that not a clear win for them?
How did Poile clearly get the better player on the better contract?

Please most were darts in the wall trades

Most of us never heard of Weezer or Dano . Anything that we got out those guys were a bonus

Those guys were never on trade lists or mentioned in any media outlet as players on rumour lists , they were buried on rosters like many others.

That's ridiculous, you're essentially disregarding MB and the pro scouting department being good at their job because you didn't know better. MB knew exactly what he was getting in Danault.
You can also add Byron and Kulak to success for the pro scouting department.

Domi was a move for 2 players needing a change of scenery and so far it planned out . Not many in the hockey world had Domi exploding like he did.

All trades are gambles but MB was confident Domi would rebound from his last season. He has a well documented exchange with a journalist about it that happened last summer.

Dismissing his good moves as luck while assigning him all the blames for the bad moves is genuinely dishonest.

There is plenty of valid criticisms to be made about him, but credit should be given where credit is due.

That's ridiculous, you're essentially disregarding MB and the pro scouting department being good at their job because you didn't know better. MB knew exactly what he was getting in Danault.
You can also add Byron and Kulak to success for the pro scouting department.

All trades are gambles but MB was confident Domi would rebound from his last season. He has a well documented exchange with a journalist about it that happened last summer.

Dismissing his good moves as luck while assigning him all the blames for the bad moves is genuinely dishonest.

There is plenty of valid criticisms to be made about him, but credit should be given where credit is due.

I give him credit for making, or extracting, the most out of a number of poor situations. However he puts himself squarely in those situations...

I give him credit for making, or extracting, the most out of a number of poor situations. However he puts himself squarely in those situations...
MB put himself in poor situations for one sole reason...horrid drafting between 2012-2015 inclusive.

Pro scouting as Waz stated has bailed him out immensely.

I give the regime credit for gambles on projects or players who need a change of scenery , there is minimal risk and more reward if anything

The patches deal was the exception .....capitalizing on an asset at peak value

Dano was a complete genie in a bottle trade . No one had him as a borderline 2C with near 50 point potential in him at 24.

He knew the player for sure but he has to be shocked at his production

PK Subban was a better player than Shea Weber, that's how. Pray tell, since the two were traded, who was nominated for the Norris and made year end second team All Star? Take your time, there's no rush to answer...

PK Subban was the best d-man on two teams that should have won the Cup had Pekka Rinne not choked like the Finnish incarnation of Marc-André Fleury. Nashville instantly won as many playoff series in Subban's first year there as Shea Weber did in his entire career. In that first year, Subban was on the ice for only two even strength goal against during the whole playoff run.

Weber, meanwhile, who was traded explicitly to put the Canadiens over the hump in win-now mode, has led the team to 6 meager playoff games in 3 years. Sounds like a typical Shea Weber year in Nashville, to be perfectly honest.

And Subban's contract ends in three years in his early 30s as opposed to Weber's contract that ends in 7 at age 41. Weber's only advantage is that the caphit is $1.2M lower. It's not difficult to understand who has the better contract, it's clearly PK Subban.

PK Subban was a better player than Shea Weber, that's how. Pray tell, since the two were traded, who was nominated for the Norris and made year end second team All Star? Take your time, there's no rush to answer...

PK Subban was the best d-man on two teams that should have won the Cup had Pekka Rinne not choked like the Finnish incarnation of Marc-André Fleury. Nashville instantly won as many playoff series in Subban's first year there as Shea Weber did in his entire career. In that first year, Subban was on the ice for only two even strength goal against during the whole playoff run.

Weber, meanwhile, who was traded explicitly to put the Canadiens over the hump in win-now mode, has led the team to 6 meager playoff games in 3 years. Sounds like a typical Shea Weber year in Nashville, to be perfectly honest.

And Subban's contract ends in three years in his early 30s as opposed to Weber's contract that ends in 7 at age 41. Weber's only advantage is that the caphit is $1.2M lower. It's not difficult to understand who has the better contract, it's clearly PK Subban.

God bless that bridge deal or that contract would be terrible taking him to 36 if last years poor season is the start of his decline

Cant fault Weber for Preds playoff woes . They competed when the west was dominated by the Kings and Hawks and SJ , Ducks and others were contenders . The west was dominant .

PK joined when those teams were in decline and his team had more depth and balance than previous Preds rosters .

Last edited:
God bless that bridge deal or that contract would be terrible taking him to 36 if last years poor season is the start of his decline

Cant fault Weber for Preds playoff woes . They competed when the west was dominated by the Kings and Hawks and SJ , Ducks and others were contenders . The west was dominant .

PK joined when those teams were in decline and his team had more depth and balance than previous Preds rosters .

Yet this so-called "inferior" defenseman joined the same team that The-Greatest-Leader-Since-Mark-Messier was on and they just so happened to make the finals in year one and the second round game 7 in year 2. There was no major roster overhaul at the same time Nashville switched Weber for Subban, they're pretty much the same teams.

Btw, Chicago had the best record in the West that year and Nashville swept them as a wildcard team and in Subban's second year, he ran into Winnipeg in full ascension before losing in 7. The same Winnipeg team a lot of people thought was the favorites to win the Cup. Spare me this "The West was in decline" narrative, it's patently false.

Subban-Weber was never a hockey deal. For God knows what reason they were determined to get rid of Subban, and Weber was the best they could fetch.

Subban-Weber was never a hockey deal. For God knows what reason they were determined to get rid of Subban, and Weber was the best they could fetch.

Bingo , philosophical differences ....the PK brand was bigger than the team

11 and 31 basically ripped him which suggests he wasn't well liked in the room

Bingo , philosophical differences ....the PK brand was bigger than the team

11 and 31 basically ripped him which suggests he wasn't well liked in the room

I think the no-movement clause was the trigger. They had doubts whether their new $9M man was to be a cornerstone of the franchise for the long term so they explored trade options while they still had those options.

I'm still sad about the trade, PK was my favorite player, but I can understand the optics.

NJ didn’t pay that much for him. Bergevin could have easily reacquired him if he wanted to, there was no desire to do so.

FWIW - Weber’s contract has $0 worth of bonuses left to be paid out, and 2-more years of $6M salary after which his final 3-seasons are $3M, $1M and $1M.

I think the no-movement clause was the trigger. They had doubts whether their new $9M man was to be a cornerstone of the franchise for the long term so they explored trade options while they still had those options.

I'm still sad about the trade, PK was my favorite player, but I can understand the optics.

I totally understand the optics ....its business and each entity has its own rules of conduct and some folks don't conform or aren't part of the team

Agreed it was totally about the no movement clause that came into effect a few days later .

They wanted him gone and this was clearly the best they could do to stay competitive

I still say Nero made the wrong deal ...we were never in win now mode

This should of been a Patches type deal ..... something good today plus a potential stud down the road prospect

Weber is solid but is on the wrong team and time frame to compete

NJ didn’t pay that much for him. Bergevin could have easily reacquired him if he wanted to, there was no desire to do so.

Simply a salary dump to pay MD . Shero wanted a marketing piece to go with Jack to help the fan base

Solid trade for both sides

Back