• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 Cut the Cord Thread

Anybody have any experience with YouTube TV? They list Fox Sports Carolinas as one of the networks offered in the Raleigh/Durham area. For $40 a month and unlimited Cloud DVR and 6 Family Members with a max of 3 concurrent streams, it seems like a good deal.

It looks like Youtube TV has finally gotten a real sports selection. Because of Hulu Live's superior sport channels selections in the past, I chose them for this type of service. It looks like Youtube still lacks the Food Network which is a deal breaker for me.

Funny, a guy mentioned this to me today and I was gonna ask the same question.
The canes are carried on FSC?
They may not have the food channel but they have the golf channel.

I have been using YouTube TV for about 8 months now. It is by far the best interface of any of the streaming services and works pretty well. The only drawback over cable is the lack of Scripps networks (Food, DIY, HGTV, etc.) and lack of native 5.1 sound (no streaming service currently provides 5.1) but the price makes it easy to overcome for me. The DVR function works great and the sports lineup is pretty solid. As a bonus you get the Youtube Red content (Cobra Kai!). I highy reccomend the service.

We got fed up with the limitations of the Samsung Smart TV and put in a Roku Streaming Stick+ last night. We got an error message during setup that the remote wouldn't work with the TV but it seemed to do OK anyway. First thing we watched was Springsteen's Broadway show on Netflix (VERY highly recommended!!) and the quality was noticeably better than using the Samsung app. Next up, find the HDMI 2.2 port for 4K streaming.

Eventually we'll get to where we're comfortable cutting off DirecTV, but that will be a while yet.

Edit: Now I see that we'll need an HDCP 2.2 -> HDCP 1.4 converter for our TV. There are cheap ones and expensive ones. Any opinions on what to get (or avoid)?

Last edited:
Sling TV offers NHL TV in their sports package which you have to pay $5-10 extra per month for.

Any Sling TV users out there? Sling's DVR says FF does not work for Fox Owned Channels. I suppose this means no FF between periods of Canes games. Can anyone verify this?

I recorded the Whaler game and just flipped it on and FF worked just fine. That was for a recording that was complete. I suppose it could be different if you are watching a game on delay where the game isn’t over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about tomorrow's game on FSSE?

I’m not a cord cutter, but I checked the Fox Sports Go app and they have the game on the schedule, showing as being broadcast on Fox Sports South. The Canes website and my cable guide both show it as Fox Sports Southeast. My cable guide also shows no programming on South at all, so maybe they’re moving it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back