• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Julien will be back

Dean Youngblood

Julien to return as Bruins coach next season

Boston hasn't qualified for Stanley Cup Playoffs past two seasons

Claude Julien will return as coach of the Boston Bruins in 2016-17.

General manager Don Sweeney made the announcement at the start of his season-ending press conference Thursday at TD Garden.

"I emphatically believe that Claude can take us through what has been a bumpy transition period," Sweeney said. "I have work to do."

Assistant coach Doug Houda will not return next season.

The Bruins have failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two seasons. Boston (42-31-9) finished three points behind the Philadelphia Flyers for the second wild card from the Eastern Conference this season.

The Bruins lost 6-1 at home against the Ottawa Senators in their regular-season finale April 9.

Julien, named the 27th coach in Bruins history on June 21, 2007, is 393-223-88 in nine seasons, and is the winningest coach in franchise history. He led the Bruins to the third- and fourth-best regular seasons in franchise history with 54 wins, 117 points and the Presidents' Trophy in 2013-14, and 53 wins and 116 points in 2008-09. Julien won the 2009 Jack Adams Trophy as NHL coach of the year.

Julien, 55, led Boston to seven consecutive playoff appearances highlighted by a Stanley Cup victory in 2011. He almost did it again two seasons later but the Bruins lost a six-game series against the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final.

Welcome to FI Dean.

I think keeping Julien is the right decision. Sure the Bruins missed the playoffs, but I think a lot of people expected them to be quite bad this year.

I'm expecting Neely to get the axe after this upcoming season. I think he's a meathead for letting Ciarelli go.

Back