• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

Yeah Max is just awesome. The Jon Jones of 145. Can't believe some judge actually gave two rounds to Edgar.

Felicia Spencer is tough as hell. But Cyborg is just a beast at 145 compared to pretty much anyone but Nunes. Also, and uhh I say this as a out of shape fat man, Felicia looks a little "jiggly" and is not the physical specimen that Cyborg is.

Neal vs Price was as much fun as it promised. Like watching both those guys.

Yeah Max is just awesome. The Jon Jones of 145. Can't believe some judge actually gave two rounds to Edgar.

Yeah, sitting there listening to the decision was interesting...

"50-45"

nod.gif

"50-45"

shrug.jpg

"And 48-47"

....wait...what the ****?

Felicia Spencer is tough as hell. But Cyborg is just a beast at 145 compared to pretty much anyone but Nunes. Also, and uhh I say this as a out of shape fat man, Felicia looks a little "jiggly" and is not the physical specimen that Cyborg is.

Felicia was "game" and all, and it's clear that being a natural 145'er and not coming up to make weight to fight Cyborg makes a pretty significant difference to someone's chin (and make Cyborg's power looks a lot less otherworldly)...but she really wasn't very "good". Her stand up offence was pretty sloppy (though in fairness, Cyborg looks as crisp as a man in there) despite landing some good elbows catching Cyborg on the way in (including the really good one she landed early in the fight that gave Cyborg a forehead vagina) and her stand up defence consisted of having a granite chin and not much else.

Much better in the clinch overall, it was the first time I've seen someone match Cyborg's physicality in the clinch but not quite strong enough to impose her will or score takedowns (which she needed, being primarily a grappler/submission expert).

She's basically a thicc Damian Maia at the UFC level.

Neal vs Price was as much fun as it promised. Like watching both those guys.

Yeah, they're both fun to watch. Unfortunate for both that they're WW's. In any other division they're ranked. Neal should get someone like Magny or Dos Santos at the bottom of the WW rankings next to see if he can crack the top 15. Neal has the tools to contend I think, and WW is about to get a shakeup soon.

- Till is probably going to 185
- If Askren loses against Maia, Dana is going to cut his ass
- If Maia loses against Askren, he might retire
- Magny is kind of shit
- Wonderboy is 36 now and coming off of surgery and a starching
- Ponzinibbio is 1) kind of shit 2) turning 33 shortly 3) Coming off of knee surgery and a 2nd surgery after an infection
- Woodley couldn't stay healthy when he was in his prime and Dana probably gives him one more shot to push his way back into the title shot conversation.
- RDA is 34 and has clearly slipped from contender status to gatekeeper status. Also, small for 170. 4-3 at WW

So yeah, a bunch of good fighters are on the back 9 of their careers and carry a bunch more name recognition than they carry actual danger in the ring. That and some kind of trash ranked guys who are probably going to work their way out of being ranked shortly, are in his way.

Carmouche is poop.

Mike Perry is a savage.

Didn't bother watching the main event. Women's MMA just doesn't have the depth of talent to make more than a compelling couple of fights at a time and this wasn't one of them.

Perry though...I legitimately worry about as a human being. Luque is not good. Yes, the UFC has run him through a handful of boxcar Willies in a row to pump up the record but he's an unranked guy (who was ranked at 15th relatively recently) who is unranked for good reason. If Perry takes that much damage against a pretty mediocre striker, at his age (27), he's just not cut out to ever be in the top 10. He spent too many years fighting like a psychopath and not enough improving the technical side of the craft. Perry is an entertaining personality and will put himself dick first through a meat grinder to win a fight, but how many more losses can pile up before Dana cuts him?

Fwiw, I had Perry winning the 2nd and 3rd but I can't get mad at a judge giving 28-27 against a guy whose nose beat him back to the US by a couple of days and lost a half pint of blood in the 3rd round.

btw...dope, dope card tonight. I don't even know how to call any of the top 3 fights.

Stipe v DC ...was that short hook KO in the 1st fight a fluke? We've seen Stipe get hit with bombs and survive. He's dropped some weight for this fight which tells me that they want to stay out of the clinch with DC and minimize the wrestling (which is where he got clipped in the 1st). Haven't seen Stipe fight since the loss, but it's damn hard to ignore how high level the quality of guys he ran through was during that title run

Pettis v Diaz ...another ****ed up fight to pick. Diaz has a major flaw in his game (so ****ing front foot heavy with his boxing) so if Pettis fights smart and just kicks the shit out of that front leg, he'll chop Nate down over time. Both are legit BJJ blackbelts, though Pettis is probably more creative and explosive in MMA grappling submissions. Nate is the better boxer, but Pettis is again kind of a wildly creative striker who can pull some shit out of his ass at any time. Honestly can't pick'em. Pettis is probably the better fight, but Diaz has that concrete, born with CTE don't @ me, head.

Yoel v Costa ....I luhhhh u boi!!! ****ing guy is a beast, complete physical specimen...but 42 yrs old against another physical freak. If we get the Yoel we've seen the last few fights against Whitaker, he wears out and knocks out Costa. But if he looks 42, Costa might merk him in the 1st.

I really thought Romero won that.

Because he did. Doubled up on head strikes, 2 takedowns. Costa works the body which is great but they're not 1-1 worth a head strike imo. Their faces tell the tale of this fight. Costa is busted up, Romero has a bit of swelling under the eye but otherwise looks like he was out for a run.

Back