• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Thread of Game of Thrones (spoilers inside)

I don’t really feel there was closure except in a clumsy, hokey way. I’m even okay with them picking Bran but the way it was done almost felt like a joke. Even the idea that the Unsullied were slaughtering the Queen’s enemies in the street after they surrendered but they discover Jon has murdered her and they simply... take him prisoner and just... release him? Nah, make Jon being a secret Targ come up again in some way or kill him.

It was just odd. As was having that climactic moment of him killing her and then 40 minutes of slow paced nothingness.

They confiscate Jon's weapons when he talks to Tyrion but let him walk in fully armed to talk to the paranoid mad queen. And no one keeps one eye on her. Ok.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I’ll probably take shit for this but I thought they nailed it.

Jon leading the wildlings north with ghost. He got the pass from the unsullied because incest with auntie cray cray.

Arya exploring.ill wager this is one of the spin off series.

Sansa ruling the North.which she had been groomed for and her shorty life experiences cemented her ability.

Sam writing about and serving as Maester. This was the perfect ending for him. He’s wanted it since Maester Aemon taught him.

Bet GRMM does a better job of elaborating why Bran is the choice instead of the dead eye **** they made him out to be.

He actually had personality this episode for a change. The alluding yo him searching for Drogon was slick too. He can just wary into him if he wanted.

I’ll probably take shit for this but I thought they nailed it.

Jon leading the wildlings north with ghost. He got the pass from the unsullied because incest with auntie cray cray.

Arya exploring.ill wager this is one of the spin off series.

Sansa ruling the North.which she had been groomed for and her shorty life experiences cemented her ability.

Sam writing about and serving as Maester. This was the perfect ending for him. He’s wanted it since Maester Aemon taught him.

Bet GRMM does a better job of elaborating why Bran is the choice instead of the dead eye **** they made him out to be.

He actually had personality this episode for a change. The alluding yo him searching for Drogon was slick too. He can just wary into him if he wanted.
It was about as good as they could have done given where they had to go.

They could have trimmed the episode, though, by a lot without losing anything. The whole episode could have been like 30 minutes as more of an epilogue to the series rather than everyone waiting for something crazy to happen in the series finale. Like had you added in that time to the earlier episodes to draw them out a little, and then make a 2hr finale which was the whole King's Landing invasion plus this episode without the fluff bits, that might have gone over better. And the whole scene around the table would almost have felt better as like a mid-credits gag.

That was just dumb. Drogon burning the Throne? Come on.

I am stoked for the Jon-Drogon-Ghost with Tormond as his sidekick adventures beyond the wall cartoon though.

First a few thoughts.

****ing great finale.

There is no Arya spin off - all the spin offs are not from this time period. At least none of the ones that have been proposed so far.

THIS IS ALSO HOW THE BOOKS WILL END. Martin has even said nothing involved main characters has changed. Sure they rushed to get to the ending but this is the ending. This is what happens.

Honestly if they just erase episode 4 I think the final series turns out better.

An almost perfect ending to 5 books and 8 seasons with these characters.

Some general comments.

The Starks were the main characters and though it looked like they were all going to die (Cat, Eddard, Robb, Rickon, Jon) somewhere in there they stopped getting killed. Almost more of a shock that a bunch survived. Somehow Tywin's worst fear came true and it is only the Imp that can move the family forward. Dany was the worst part of the story after season 1/book 1.

R+L=J ruined everything
Because ppl figured that out everybody was expecting some other massive things to happen. Like the imp as a secret targ, bran as the night king, etc. People had these wild theories that never came true.

There was no reason for the final two seasons to be rushed. But there was also no reason for the latest two books to be soooo slow. Hopefully Martin finds the proper balance for the final two books...if ever.

Come on now Arya woulda worn the pants.
Sure. But there's still nothing about the job of being Queen or popping out a brood of kids that would appeal to her.

That's been the case going all the way back to the first season, when Ned Stark sketched that out as her future and she told him that's not her.

Gendry as King also would have been ridiculous. The only reason he's not still a nameless bastard is on the say-so of the madwoman who burned down King's Landing and then got knifed in the heart before she ever actually sat on the throne and ruled. He's also never led anybody and has no life accomplishments of note, beyond blacksmithing, running a marathon and being a minor participant in a couple of major battles. And the father his claim to the throne would have originated from was one of the worst Kings in the history of Westeros.

Arya would have been the actual King. that's the whole point.

Gendry would just be the token claim on the throne.

On how it all ended.... Going on Martin's interviews everybody ends up in the same place in the show as in the books.

Dany - Got what she wanted and died for it. Jon had to do it. The Stark in him meant he had to carry out the sentence. Dany needed to be betrayed three times this time for love. So nicely done. The only Targ left is sworn to have no children (Jon).

Jon - Starts a bastards ends a bastard. He knew what he did was dishonourable. No trial. So he took the black. His reunion with ghost was great. So about the night's watch. It was not about the white walkers for a thousand years. Remember in the first episode Ned does not believe the night's watch deserter that is running from them (something like a man sees what he sees). The nights watch had been about keeping the world save from wildlings. But I took the ending as Jon using the opportunity to help the wildlings not to fight them. I know the show never did a good job with the direwolves but ghost being up north should have told us jon only had two options. Die or go north.

Sansa - Absolutely perfect. She learned from her father, from joffery/cersei, littlefinger, ramsay, etc to become a "smart" stark. She in the end got what she wanted from the start. To be a queen. But not as a secondary piece to a husband but on her own. There must always be a stark in winterfell.

Arya - She was never going to be a lady. Nymeria was a free spirit. She is roaming the world with her pack of wolves. Arya is following in those footsteps. She can not be tamed. Especially not be some side bit character like Gendry. This was an absolute perfect ending for her character. Actually her and Sansa were both perfect.

Bran - I guess he was the betting favourite to be king. The boy that just wanted to be a knight would end up bran the broken. Jaime tried to be a kingslayer in the first episode. Funny. As teh king I have no issue with it but from wanting to be a knight, to becoming the 3 eyed raven to king. Weird.

Davos - The onion knight. A "good" character. Becoming the master of ships makes complete sense. One of my favourite characters in the books so I am biased but happy he got a good ending.

Bronn - A funny character sure but for a few seasons served no purpose. But who would know more about gold than the guy that only cares about gold.

Samwell - A perfect ending for him. Guess he will get to read some more.

Brienne - Great place for her to end up. Became a knight. Lay with a kingslayer. Protecting the rightful king.

Cersei - She was not always completely evil. She just failed to control Joffrey (could not even get him to not take off Eddard's head). Great scene to see Tyrion find her and Jaime together. Left the world as they entered the world. Together.

Jaime - Great call back to Joffery mocking his empty pages by having Brienne fill them in.

Varys - He was right. Was he ever wrong? :p

Overall a pretty great finish for a lot of the characters. Nothing stands out as dumb like say Arya and Gendry ruling.... :p

Sure. But there's still nothing about the job of being Queen or popping out a brood of kids that would appeal to her.

That's been the case going all the way back to the first season, when Ned Stark sketched that out as her future and she told him that's not her.

Gendry as King also would have been ridiculous. The only reason he's not still a nameless bastard is on the say-so of the madwoman who burned down King's Landing and then got knifed in the heart before she ever actually sat on the throne and ruled. He's also never led anybody and has no life accomplishments of note, beyond blacksmithing, running a marathon and being a minor participant in a couple of major battles. And the father his claim to the throne would have originated from was one of the worst Kings in the history of Westeros.

ya. talk about doing a complete 180...i mean look at how mad people were that Dany went from cruel killing of evil men to killer of all. imagine arya going from anti lady to lady lol

Arya would have been the actual King. that's the whole point.

Gendry would just be the token claim on the throne.

Would have been a terrible ending. Easily worse than the argument that Bran used his abilities to put the pieces where they needed to be every step along the way to end up as king.

On how it all ended.... Going on Martin's interviews everybody ends up in the same place in the show as in the books.

Dany - Got what she wanted and died for it. Jon had to do it. The Stark in him meant he had to carry out the sentence. Dany needed to be betrayed three times this time for love. So nicely done. The only Targ left is sworn to have no children (Jon).

Jon - Starts a bastards ends a bastard. He knew what he did was dishonourable. No trial. So he took the black. His reunion with ghost was great. So about the night's watch. It was not about the white walkers for a thousand years. Remember in the first episode Ned does not believe the night's watch deserter that is running from them (something like a man sees what he sees). The nights watch had been about keeping the world save from wildlings. But I took the ending as Jon using the opportunity to help the wildlings not to fight them. I know the show never did a good job with the direwolves but ghost being up north should have told us jon only had two options. Die or go north.

Sansa - Absolutely perfect. She learned from her father, from joffery/cersei, littlefinger, ramsay, etc to become a "smart" stark. She in the end got what she wanted from the start. To be a queen. But not as a secondary piece to a husband but on her own. There must always be a stark in winterfell.

Arya - She was never going to be a lady. Nymeria was a free spirit. She is roaming the world with her pack of wolves. Arya is following in those footsteps. She can not be tamed. Especially not be some side bit character like Gendry. This was an absolute perfect ending for her character. Actually her and Sansa were both perfect.

Bran - I guess he was the betting favourite to be king. The boy that just wanted to be a knight would end up bran the broken. Jaime tried to be a kingslayer in the first episode. Funny. As teh king I have no issue with it but from wanting to be a knight, to becoming the 3 eyed raven to king. Weird.

Davos - The onion knight. A "good" character. Becoming the master of ships makes complete sense. One of my favourite characters in the books so I am biased but happy he got a good ending.

Bronn - A funny character sure but for a few seasons served no purpose. But who would know more about gold than the guy that only cares about gold.

Samwell - A perfect ending for him. Guess he will get to read some more.

Brienne - Great place for her to end up. Became a knight. Lay with a kingslayer. Protecting the rightful king.

Cersei - She was not always completely evil. She just failed to control Joffrey (could not even get him to not take off Eddard's head). Great scene to see Tyrion find her and Jaime together. Left the world as they entered the world. Together.

Jaime - Great call back to Joffery mocking his empty pages by having Brienne fill them in.

Varys - He was right. Was he ever wrong? :p

Overall a pretty great finish for a lot of the characters. Nothing stands out as dumb like say Arya and Gendry ruling.... :p

Yeah, the end to me is fine. Maybe a little too fine - as in, basically all the "bad" characters are dead, and all the good guys are alive and in their "perfect" place save a handful of sacrifices along the way. And then obviously the show rushing through things to make, for example, the whole night king plotline just seem a little dumb, and then because it was rushed, they didn't have time to develop a character for guys like Euron.

The season could definitely have used another 3-4 episodes. For example, the night king breaks through the wall at the end of S7. Instead of what they did, they should have probably had the North try to fight them somewhere near the wall for one episode, but have them beaten mercilessly and have to retreat. Then maybe you have 1-2 episodes where the army of the dead is tearing through the countryside, destroying town after town, castle after castle, before the good guys find a way to lure them towards Winterfell for this final battle/trap of a plan. That way you have basically the dread of them coming through for almost half a season, and heck, you can even advance the timeline to show that that happened over the course of months even, so that it actually feels like the battle with the dead takes more than just one evening.

And they could probably have had at least a couple of the other main characters not make it through by the end. As people mentioned, Brienne sacrificing herself in combat to save Sansa or Arya would have been a fitting end for her as well. But overall, the ending made sense, but the path they took to get there had a few too many shortcuts that made for a downer of a season.

Back