Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: News Thread for the 2016-17 Season

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: News Thread for the 2016-17 Season

Catching up on Misc news of interest ... mostly to me

- Villa have sacked Roberto DiMatteo after a 1-7-3 start that has them mired in 19th in the Championship, having scored a grand total of 10 goals in 11 games and having surrendered a shocking 6 2nd half leads. Yup. Same old same old, basically. New owner, some new players, pretty much the exact same results. Humorously, strong rumors have linked Villa to Huddersfield Town's David Wagner as a replacement. Humourous because Wagner currently has them in 1st with a pretty strong shout at automatic qualification ... early days, but still. The other rumors have them throwing money at Steve Bruce ... as if he wants another crazy, unrealistic owner after his last trip down Nutter Lane.

- In other fun news, apparently soon to be former Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has been charged with placing bets on 44 football matches between July and September. This on top of the fact that Rangers basically chucked him off the senior team after bizarre, aggressive behavior towards teammates following their recent loss to Celtic. Yeah. He's a fun guy to have around, no doubt. http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/f...arged-11984465

- And for giggles, check out Celtic's 13 year old wunderkind Karamoko Dembele when you have a spare minute or two. Currently playing with their U-20s after playing the summer with the U15s against European competition. Already the "next Messi" nonsense is flying, but watch the vids ... the kid has moves, man. Serious moves. http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/f...arged-11984465

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Huddersfield Town are 1 of 2 teams that won a First Divison championship but have never played in the Premier League. Preston North End is the other. I don't know anything about them or their manager, but with a chance at promotion to the top level for the first time since 1972, I can't see him leaving to take a flyer at Villa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Huddersfield Town are 1 of 2 teams that won a First Divison championship but have never played in the Premier League. Preston North End is the other. I don't know anything about them or their manager, but with a chance at promotion to the top level for the first time since 1972, I can't see him leaving to take a flyer at Villa.
    Me neither ... but reports of truck loads of Chinese MSG cash have been circulating.

Right now, I'd call it even money that we end up with Bruce. And frankly, I'd be fine with that. I don't love his style of play but he's a professional manager.

Post Thanks / Like

It hurts me to say it, but the best move would be to have this happen a month or two from now once things settle down a little and sign Sam Allardyce. I just vomited a little in my mouth.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VinatieriDefinesClutch View Post
    It hurts me to say it, but the best move would be to have this happen a month or two from now once things settle down a little and sign Sam Allardyce. I just vomited a little in my mouth.
    He's good at keeping teams up but how is he at getting teams promoted? Or is the aim to avoid another relegation? If so, he's a really short term fix, no?

Post Thanks / Like

He got West Ham back up with ease. Honestly though, with the start Villa have had, finishing mid table and regrouping for next year seems best case scenario. We're ten points behind Birmingham, it's repugnant. Granted, since I'm not from Birmingham and only adopted Villa as my team from afar, I don't actually have any real care toward their rival teams, but it's still embarrassing how poor of a start Villa have had.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing of it is ... if they could have not leaked a late goal against even half the time they've had a lead in the second half, they'd be 9 points better off and sitting fairly pretty. 19 points would have had them just outside of the playoff spots. And for the roster they're playing with proven, experienced, good quality Championship players all over the place ... this lack of timely defense and general lack of offense is absolutely mind boggling.

My money is still on Bruce, mostly because he's the only one who actually seems keen on the job at this point. Quality, experienced manager who actually knows how to set up a defensive system that works. Bit dull and not the greatest man manager in the world, but there you have it. I figure, this season you learn how to actually defend and stabalize in mid table. Next season you ditch the offensive players who aren't getting it done and find guys who will. Looking squarely at Ayew and Grealish right now. One of you turkeys needs to start producing something other than give aways on the regular.

And no. Hiring Big Sam at any point this season would be a terrible idea, in my opinion. He's radio active.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 10-07-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When the 2014 World Cup qualifying draw was announced, Wales was 112th in the FIFA world rankings. In July 2015, they entered the top 10. How did they do that? By gaming the ranking system. To a lesser extent Romania and Switzerland did the same. The Swiss were rewarded with a spot in Pot 1 at the World Cup.

http://thesetpieces.com/world-footba...ss-calculator/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    When the 2014 World Cup qualifying draw was announced, Wales was 112th in the FIFA world rankings. In July 2015, they entered the top 10. How did they do that? By gaming the ranking system. To a lesser extent Romania and Switzerland did the same. The Swiss were rewarded with a spot in Pot 1 at the World Cup.

http://thesetpieces.com/world-footba...ss-calculator/
    I'd be upset with such tactics if:

A. FIFA rankings in any way corresponded with reality in virtually any other regard.

B. The Welsh hadn't backed up their improved ranking with actual results in an actual tournament. Switzerland, as always, can suck it.

Now, you'd think this would trouble FIFA and that they might reality check their ranking systems and make some changes, but .... no way. They love the skullduggery.

Post Thanks / Like

The opponents for the MLS Cup on December 10 final are set.

Toronto will host Seattle at BMO Field. Should be a cold, wet mess sort of like their leg of the conference final against Montreal that featured rain, cold and rolling fog ... and a billion goals. Find the highlights of that at a minimum. You will not be disappointed. USMNT vets abound in the matchup (Bradley, Altidore, Morris among others) and features two of the most entertaining and effective setup men in MLS (Sounders' Lodiero and Toronto's Giovinco). Should be a good one if the weather doesn't interfere. Fox has the coverage this year.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Giovinco has been just ridiculous this year...3rd in goals with 17, 2nd in assists with 15. Altidore had 10 goals but played less than 1,500 minutes, about 16.5 games.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony Pulis has been ordered by the London High Court to pay 3.7 million in damages to Crystal Palace. It upholds a decision from earlier this year by the Premier League Managers' Arbitration Panel.

Pulis had a contract with Palace that would have paid him a 2.0 million bonus if Palace stayed in the Premier League after the 2013-14 season and he remained in the job until August 31, 2014. He convinced Palace to pay him the bonus early, telling them he was committed to the club. They paid the bonus on August 12. He told them he wanted to leave the next day and left on August 14. He took over at West Brom on January 1, 2015.

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier...crystal-palace

Post Thanks / Like

That's just poorly played. You have to wait at LEAST a week before leaving.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The Daily Mail reports that Spurs have agreed on a 25 million per year kit supply deal with Nike starting in 2017-18. Their current deal with Under Armour was signed in 2011 and is worth 10 million per year. Nike lured Chelsea away from adidas with a 60 million per year deal earlier this year and Man U's deal with adidas is worth 75 million per year. Arsenal is 3rd with a 30 million per year deal with Puma.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on their global footprint, Arsenal are getting hosed on their current deal.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Based on their global footprint, Arsenal are getting hosed on their current deal.
    Yes, and it's only 2 years old, signed in January 2014 for the 14-15 season, 150 million/5 years. Their previous deal with Nike, signed in 2003 was only worth 8 million per year. At the time, it was the best deal in England, but Man U and Chelsea have blown by that. They're Puma's biggest club too, with Borussia Dortmund a distant 2nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Crystal Palace have sacked manager Alan Pardew with the club 17th in the Premier League.

Pardew was appointed on a three-and-a-half-year deal in January 2015 but the 55-year-old has been dismissed after a run of one victory in 11 games.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38408138

Looks like Palace have won the race to see which owner would blink first and go get Big Sam.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Palace.

Although, if I'm honest I think big Sam can coax some decent football out of that roster.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Sam embarks on another rescue mission, gets a 2-1/2 year contract.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sp...ager-nzrr7mbf3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Red Bull readying a bid for West Ham? They already own 2 top division clubs with Leipzig in Germany and Salzburg in Austria.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/12/...st-ham-united/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast