• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Playoffs 2018

If some team offers a solid offer why not move him ...both look like shit right now

Ovy and Backstrom are going nowhere

Both aren't really the problem.

From the two games i've watched, Washington is giving up way too many breakaways and odd man rushes. They have not, or can not play tighten up playoff hockey. The look slow and are getting beat to too many pucks.

The goalies are being left out to dry. Two straight games that they capitals give themselves some breathing room and they let columbus walk in for a great chance that ends up in the back of the net.

the Columbus defense is no better, but bobrovsky is a far superior goalie than either Grubauer or Holtby, which is why the blue jackets have the edge in these two really tight games.

Just another case of having a slow, ineffective defense screwing up the goaltending.

Still can't believe the Hawks traded Panarin.

They were screwed with an 8-9 mil contract due soon on a capped out team .

They bought 4 years with Saad at better money and figured he would play like old Saad .

Harder to get value with a year to go on a soon to be UFA

They were screwed with an 8-9 mil contract due soon on a capped out team .

They bought 4 years with Saad at better money and figured he would play like old Saad .

Harder to get value with a year to go on a soon to be UFA

It's bad enough that they committed to trading Panarin but on top of that they seemed determined to get Saad back in the fold in Chicago.

I'm going to assume and this is just a hunch but they may have gotten better offers elsewhere had they not been so hard headed to get an ex player back.

Getting Sharp back also didn't go well.

It's bad enough that they committed to trading Panarin but on top of that they seemed determined to get Saad back in the fold in Chicago.

I'm going to assume and this is just a hunch but they may have gotten better offers elsewhere had they not been so hard headed to get an ex player back.

Getting Sharp back also didn't go well.

I dont think the offers were better at all .

Hawks had to get cost certainty in return .

They couldnt move AP in a deal and risk having a potential UFA or expensive RFA to deal with .

The only other deal they could of chosen is a futures picks and prospects and hope they pan out .

Its a catch 22 when you are the Hawks with multiple cups and the inevitable cap issues to deal with .

I have no issue with the trade at all .

I dont think the offers were better at all .

Hawks had to get cost certainty in return .

They couldnt move AP in a deal and risk having a potential UFA or expensive RFA to deal with .

The only other deal they could of chosen is a futures picks and prospects and hope they pan out .

Its a catch 22 when you are the Hawks with multiple cups and the inevitable cap issues to deal with .

I have no issue with the trade at all .

Panarin was already a better player than Saad when the trade happened.

I mean Panarin had two 70 point seasons while Saad was just over 50 points in those same two years in Columbus.

You will bring up the playing with Kane factor?

Saad still couldn't hit the numbers Panarin had when he played with Kane in his first stint.

This is just a case of a GM being fixated on a player he had past success with and wanting him back.

The Leafs finished 3rd in a 3 team division. Not sure why so many Leaf fans are shocked right now.

Three reasons. They believed that they played at a 120 point pace after their issues were sorted out after Christmas, and that was a more accurate representation of their team

Second, they believed that Boston was overachieving and that they were a one line team that could be shut down

Three, they believed that their offensive depth could outgun just about everyone in their division.

What they didn't count on was just how good a line boston has, and how deadly they would be on the powerplay. That and they didn't forsee Hainsey zaitsev and as a result, Anderson being victimized as much as they have been. And of course, missing Kadri for 3 games is killer for he is their best shut down center

Warning signs were there though. Hainsey was running on fumes since around game 70, Zaitsev was bad all year, Anderson played 65 games or so, too much of a workload for a goalie to be rested for the playoffs. Tukka Rask played 54 for example. And Kadri is a walking suspension risk, same as Marchand, but currently he's lighting it up while Kadri eats hot dogs.

Panarin was already a better player than Saad when the trade happened.

I mean Panarin had two 70 point seasons while Saad was just over 50 points in those same two years in Columbus.

You will bring up the playing with Kane factor?

Saad still couldn't hit the numbers Panarin had when he played with Kane in his first stint.

This is just a case of a GM being fixated on a player he had past success with and wanting him back.

DK , they were pinned in a corner with a slim boxer chance of coming out of it .

Their top guys ate half their cap and AP was going to get 8-9 , they were screwed .

They didnt have a ton of cap coming off their books .

Its like us with 67 . Lets suppose we were capped out and Max due a massive raise .

Better to get a player with 4 years left at decent money who can produce ahead of time than risk losing him .

Three reasons. They believed that they played at a 120 point pace after their issues were sorted out after Christmas, and that was a more accurate representation of their team

Second, they believed that Boston was overachieving and that they were a one line team that could be shut down

Three, they believed that their offensive depth could outgun just about everyone in their division.

What they didn't count on was just how good a line boston has, and how deadly they would be on the powerplay. That and they didn't forsee Hainsey zaitsev and as a result, Anderson being victimized as much as they have been. And of course, missing Kadri for 3 games is killer for he is their best shut down center

Warning signs were there though. Hainsey was running on fumes since around game 70, Zaitsev was bad all year, Anderson played 65 games or so, too much of a workload for a goalie to be rested for the playoffs. Tukka Rask played 54 for example. And Kadri is a walking suspension risk, same as Marchand, but currently he's lighting it up while Kadri eats hot dogs.

Toronto's defense is just not good.

People want to compare the Jets and Leafs well it ends at the defense corp.

Trouba
Myers
Byfuglien
Morrissey (Who I believe is on the verge of being a stud)
Enstrom (injured)

or

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Dermott

And they're one of the top draws for college free agents, etc... they should've been able to make it work.

DK , they were pinned in a corner with a slim boxer chance of coming out of it .

Their top guys ate half their cap and AP was going to get 8-9 , they were screwed .

They didnt have a ton of cap coming off their books .

Its like us with 67 . Lets suppose we were capped out and Max due a massive raise .

Better to get a player with 4 years left at decent money who can produce ahead of time than risk losing him .

I understand that, however is shouldn't force you to make a bad trade.

Both you and I have no idea if there were better offers on the table be it futures or NHL ready talent.

But I can tell you I find it hard to believe that the best offer they got just happened to coincidently be a former Hawk they dumped for the same reason.

This just wreaks of a lack of vision from Bowman much like trying to get Sharp back to his glory days in Chicago

I understand that, however is shouldn't force you to make a bad trade.

Both you and I have no idea if there were better offers on the table be it futures or NHL ready talent.

But I can tell you I find it hard to believe that the best offer they got just happened to coincidently be a former Hawk they dumped for the same reason.

This just wreaks of a lack of vision from Bowman much like trying to get Sharp back to his glory days in Chicago

If they waited one more year your getting less , just like us with 67 waiting too long .

Toronto's defense is just not good.

People want to compare the Jets and Leafs well it ends at the defense corp.

Trouba
Myers
Byfuglien
Morrissey (Who I believe is on the verge of being a stud)
Enstrom (injured)

or

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Dermott

Their D was never any good . My Leaf realistic buddies put it best .

Freddie is the biggest reason they made the playoffs .Take away his Price heroics those extra 10-12 points were the difference .

Back