• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

I'm talking about everyone else they have to move. When more teams start selling - shit players like Benn, Alzner, Pleks and Schlemko start to look even less attractive.

You are no doubt assuming that Bergevin is getting fired prior to the deadline if you think that the Habs will be trading Alzner, Benn or Schlemko. If Bergy trades them he's basically telling the world that he doesn't know how to do his own job (which is true, but I doubt he wants to admit it to anyone)

This front office doesn't do "reality" very well. They prefer to stick with their beliefs no matter how often those beliefs are proven to be wrong.

You are no doubt assuming that Bergevin is getting fired prior to the deadline if you think that the Habs will be trading Alzner, Benn or Schlemko. If Bergy trades them he's basically telling the world that he doesn't know how to do his own job (which is true, but I doubt he wants to admit it to anyone)

This front office doesn't do "reality" very well. They prefer to stick with their beliefs no matter how often those beliefs are proven to be wrong.

I'm not assuming anything. You're posts are getting weirder and weirder.

All I said is that our potential tradeables look shitter when they have increased competition. That's not a shocking revelation.

And you guys need to stop this "GM's don't trade players they acquired" nonesense.

It happens all the time in sports. MB himself has done it already. It's not abnormal.

Our GM said our defence this year was better than last year. While he might have traded players he acquired before, mostly crap ones, trading any dman he has acquired this year would be an admission it is on him, and that his defence is not better than last year. His hubris is too great to allow him to do that.

I'm talking about everyone else they have to move. When more teams start selling - shit players like Benn, Alzner, Pleks and Schlemko start to look even less attractive.

Those players were never attractive

Pleks may get a 2nd if we’re lucky

The difference is that I bet the Rangers go full out sell mode.

I bet Nash gets moved, Mcdonagh, Zuccarelo while Mb just moves Pleks

Rangers are doing it right . Window was shut 2 years ago . No point doing the Nero kick the can down the road to futility .

They got top value for their 2 centers and will continue to purge .

IMO they will only go after the likes of TJ or JVR , players who can make a difference right away .

Kudos to them for understanding their situation and cleaning up and retooling/rebuilding .

Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

NYR are not going on a long term rebuild they’re simply prepping their cap structure to absorb ready JT and Carlson.

The comparisons between the Habs and Rangers are telling. Both teams need to rebuild but only one of them accepts this fact. And not only do the Rangers accept it, they're up front about it. The level of transparency they showed by leveling with their fan base is in stark contrast to the Habs who treat everything like a state secret.

But here's the kicker. The Rangers have had this epiphany about their need to rebuild even though they are only a couple of points out of a playoff spot. They could have easily rationalized being buyers at the deadline and making a playoff push. But they came to the realization that they have mortgaged the future for the present too much in the past few seasons and a retooling is called for. Sure, they could add pieces at the deadline and squeak into 7th or 8th place, but then what? They know that they have no real shot at winning a Cup so rather than preach the Habs' mantra of "make the playoffs and then anything is possible" they are taking the realistic approach of "even if we make the playoffs we're still mediocre and have zero chance of winning the Cup".

We fans may not know exactly what goes on behind closed doors on the 7th floor of the Bell Centre but I think we can safely assume that neither Bergevin nor Molson would ever follow the Rangers example. If the Habs were 2 or 3 points out of a playoff spot this morning they'd be buyers. Those 2 or 3 playoff gates are too tempting to pass up on. This team, despite what Molson says, is just a revenue generating vehicle for its owners, nothing more.

There will be no real rebuild and insofar as one is attempted, there will be no firm commitment to it. First chance they get they will abandon the rebuild strategy and decide to go for it. Our last so-called "rebuild" after finishing 3rd from the bottom in 2012 lasted one season. Ownership ain't interested in rebuilding. It's not going to happen, even though it needs to happen.

NYR are not going on a long term rebuild they’re simply prepping their cap structure to absorb ready JT and Carlson.

But the sell off will help them improve their prospect pool - and it will hurt the Habs chances to sell off their crap.

Isn't Nash a UFA?

The situation is that Nash is a rental and Patch isn't.

At this stage of their careers I think Max is the better scorer but will teams pay that premium to get Max over Nash.

Nash may cost a 1st round draft pick and maybe a B level prospect while MB is asking for a 1st rounder, A level prospect and an NHL ready element.

Unless someone pays for the name... Nash on that contract is not getting much of a return.

If the team eats 50% salary it helps but still is not easy to fit in for a cup contender. He is 4 seasons away from his last good one. Also is pretty bad in the playoffs.

The guy has 3 more points than DD.

agreed...they are pulling a yankees from .... was it two seasons ago

they are basically saying they are trading nash and will go with some youth and will probably play better because of it

The Caps have re-signed Lars Eller to a five-year, $17.5 million contract extension, the team announced.

Should the Habs have kept Lars and not signed Shaw?

The Caps have re-signed Lars Eller to a five-year, $17.5 million contract extension, the team announced.

Should the Habs have kept Lars and not signed Shaw?

and he has more goals than Drubust :smilielol5:

With a 6-1 loss to Arizona (!) last night, Chicago is now 9th worst in the NHL. That makes #Habs second rounder acquired from the #Hawks currently a top 40 pick. So 3 top 40 picks at the moment.

Dan Kramer

@DanKramerHabs
16m16 minutes ago

Unless someone pays for the name... Nash on that contract is not getting much of a return.

If the team eats 50% salary it helps but still is not easy to fit in for a cup contender. He is 4 seasons away from his last good one. Also is pretty bad in the playoffs.

The guy has 3 more points than DD.

Nash is going to be appealing to many teams because he's slides in many roles, Babcock loved this guys as a shutdown guy so I see Toronto making a pitch.

I can see Boston going after him to get secondary scoring on a 2nd line.

Teams will line up to get a player like him

With a 6-1 loss to Arizona (!) last night, Chicago is now 9th worst in the NHL. That makes #Habs second rounder acquired from the #Hawks currently a top 40 pick. So 3 top 40 picks at the moment.

Dan Kramer

@DanKramerHabs
16m16 minutes ago

It's true, I didn't think of that.

That's pretty good news

Nash is going to be appealing to many teams because he's slides in many roles, Babcock loved this guys as a shutdown guy so I see Toronto making a pitch.

I can see Boston going after him to get secondary scoring on a 2nd line.

Teams will line up to get a player like him

But then get out of line when they see the price tag.

Back